Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

His first touch and hold up play was atrocious at times but he was denied a goal by the keeper a couple of times. First one in particular was a good save from close range. Would have had a tap in too if Justin squared it too him, remember the shit Perez got for not squaring to Vardy? 

We all know he's not a lone striker, needs to be played alongside someone. 

• Like 1

Really disappointing, I thought it would be an open game (it was first half) so it was his best chance to score and fancied him getting a goal. Some nice control but this is not enough to make up for the lack of physical aggression and pace.  Does not mean he is terrible as I think he has his qualities its just that role does not suit him. BR has limited options I don’t think any of us would have put him them by choice.

Edited by jamfox

6 minutes ago, Gevans_97 said:

totally agree with you here. I’m finding the some of the rhetoric on Perez a bit much. People clearly don’t like him and are quick to slag him off after a bad result. 

He played poorly, as did every player for us yesterday, but according to ‘TheOther14’ on Twitter he also created 5 chances in the game, the most of any player in the non ‘big 6’. 

Stats aren't everything but i thought it was an interesting one to add to the discussion.

That’s unfair imo, Leicester have been in the top 6 for two seasons now pretty much, pretty unfair to compare players playing for us than with the likes of Brighton, Southampton, Burnley, Newcastle etc 

I don't necessarily think he's a bad player, I like him, he works hard and I want him to do well but yesterday was less a case of him playing out of position* and more the fact that any semblance of footballing ability deserted him. I've always thought his touch is a bit loose but yesterday it felt as if he was running directly into Leeds bodies ad nauseam, regardless of how much time or space he had on the ball (of which he saw plenty).

*I do sympathise with him given this isn't how he works best which we're lead to believe is playing off a target man / outlet a la Rondon at Newcastle. If that's the case, given Rodgers "doesn't believe" in them, then in my opinion his signing was frivolous at best and at worst a complete waste of money. We aren't in a position to spend such sums on a footballer to play him in a system that doesn't work for him, with seemingly no intention of changing it.

Guest Hansifüx

I think it would make sense to replace/sell perez with a more phyiscally alternative, or sell madisson and (keep perez as an alternative for maddsion's position) and get  physical striker. 

The way everything is going there is no spot available in the starting 11 or the bench for Perez.  Not his fault btw. he is a good footballer but not good enough anymore, and he is getting older.  I expect him to leave in summer. 

4 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

He was very poor yesterday but can't agree with a load of the comments in here or the match thread.

Worst performance you've ever seen in a city shirt? You must have a very short memory indeed. He wasn't even the worst player on the pitch yesterday!

He's obviously not the answer and we desperately need to recruit a new striker, but some of the hyperbole is ridiculous.

That is a fair point but the criticism needs to be put into context.  If Maddison was poor yesterday he has enough in the bank that he is appreciated despite the odd bad game.  WIth Ayoze it is a continuing theme that his performances are consistently poor in my opinion. 

I think you could put together a showreel of highlights for any other player but with Perez you would be scratching your head.  That's it a nutshell for me.  He just doesn't bring enough to the team in any position, only frustration.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

He was very poor yesterday but can't agree with a load of the comments in here or the match thread.

Worst performance you've ever seen in a city shirt? You must have a very short memory indeed. He wasn't even the worst player on the pitch yesterday!

He's obviously not the answer and we desperately need to recruit a new striker, but some of the hyperbole is ridiculous.

Definitely not a contender for worst performance in a city shirt, he had some good moments after they scored their second. The problem for Perez is that that wasnt even the worst performance by him this season by far, that would go to to the west ham game. I think the overreaction yesterday was more a result of this being a fairly typical performance from him, he tries his hardest but he just doesnt have the quality to perfrom at the level required.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Definitely not a contender for worst performance in a city shirt, he had some good moments after they scored their second. The problem for Perez is that that wasnt even the worst performance by him this season by far, that would go to to the west ham game. I think the overreaction yesterday was more a result of this being a fairly typical performance from him, he tries his hardest but he just doesnt have the quality to perfrom at the level required.

Great post Horneybadger.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

I think he knows in his mind what he wants to do, but unfortunately his legs don’t seem to know

He tried his best yesterday and tried to lead the line as a traditional CF, But he was up against a bully who stuck to him closely.

I'm just wondering it might work better if him and Maddison constantly swapped positions whereby they might get more space.

Perez should have been awarded a Penalty for the Shirt pull, what was Var doing.

17 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He tried his best yesterday and tried to lead the line as a traditional CF, But he was up against a bully who stuck to him closely.

I'm just wondering it might work better if him and Maddison constantly swapped positions whereby they might get more space.

Perez should have been awarded a Penalty for the Shirt pull, what was Var doing.

He was abysmal.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

He was abysmal.

He was anything but abysmal, He nearly scored and should have had a penalty and he also set up a couple of chances for others.

Just because it didn't work out yesterday, He's not Vardy as we know, but we've no one else to replace him because Brendan stupidly

felt we could go through two seasons without a proper support Striker.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

He was anything but abysmal, He nearly scored and should have had a penalty and he also set up a couple of chances for others.

Just because it didn't work out yesterday, He's not Vardy as we know, but we've no one else to replace him because Brendan stupidly

felt we could go through two seasons without a proper support Striker.

I can’t be watching the same game as you. He continually gave the ball away and whenever he did touch it he prodded it backwards. He is far too slow and physically not strong enough. 

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I'm fairly sure the shirt pull was on Fofana not Perez, I'm sure Perez head got in the way off Johnny Evan's at the far post, he got himself into an offside position for the goal he did score, dont get me wrong he isnt a bad man and he did well enough at Newcastle, but this isnt and wont be the last poor display we see from Ayoze if we keep playing him, it is definitely time to try something different. We simply are not getting £30 million pounds worth of football out of him, the way we set up. I'd really like it to work out for Perez but how many chances will he get / need.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vazman said:

I'm fairly sure the shirt pull was on Fofana not Perez, I'm sure Perez head got in the way off Johnny Evan's at the far post, he got himself into an offside position for the goal he did score, dont get me wrong he isnt a bad man and he did well enough at Newcastle, but this isnt and wont be the last poor display we see from Ayoze if we keep playing him, it is definitely time to try something different. We simply are not getting £30 million pounds worth of football out of him, the way we set up. I'd really like it to work out for Perez but how many chances will he get / need.

You are right it was Fofana with the Shirt pull.

You're also right he isn't the answer to what we need but what other option do we have in the current circumstances. We should have had an alternative Striker covering for Vardy.

I just find it extremely arrogant from Brendan to plan with 5 or 6 CBs and 1 CF. for a whole season.

So what else can we try unless Iheanacho. We could try an old Leicester trick of playing Soyuncu up top like we used to use Walshie and even Morgan if I can remember.

At least he might win a few headers or rough up a few defenders. I doubt Brendan would allow his ego to try something like this.

At the end of the day it's about winning Match's the How doesn't matter much at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, Kevin Russell said:

I can’t be watching the same game as you. He continually gave the ball away and whenever he did touch it he prodded it backwards. He is far too slow and physically not strong enough. 

He was trying to lead the line which is not his game at all and he isn't physically strong enough for that.

How is it he could score so many for Newcastle who were a defensive team under Rafa and yet struggles here.

32 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He was trying to lead the line which is not his game at all and he isn't physically strong enough for that.

How is it he could score so many for Newcastle who were a defensive team under Rafa and yet struggles here.

His goal scoring record overall was poor at Newcastle - he’s scored 12 in his last season, most of them at the end of the season. He didn’t even score many when he played in the championship. He hadn’t got pace, strength or skill. He is a tidy and hardworking player, but no way near good enough to be a key player for us if we are serious about becoming an established side at European level.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

His goal scoring record overall was poor at Newcastle - he’s scored 12 in his last season, most of them at the end of the season. He didn’t even score many when he played in the championship. He hadn’t got pace, strength or skill. He is a tidy and hardworking player, but no way near good enough to be a key player for us if we are serious about becoming an established side at European level.

He scored enough to keep them up so why is it he struggles here. I believe it's as much the system we play. 

The last part I fully agree with and I've always been puzzled why we signed him when we had a need for more urgent requirements at the time. 

But we have very little choice in that area so what is the answer. ?