Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

2 hours ago, Jam orton said:

Put  Keleci upfront with him , let's have a good go at them ! Both striker's are better as a pair than line striker's 

....Nacho believes himself to be a #10, Perez looks better centrally in the same position!!!

Seems like they will both be taking up the same positions, making the same runs.

3 hours ago, majaco said:

Arrogant can be a negative way of saying decisive.  He may not agree with your decisive tactical philosophy. 

1CF?  That's a very decisive opinion.  Perhaps Iheanacho describes himself as a substitute.  Perhaps Perez would not describe himself as a striker.

It would be interesting to see Soyuncu or Fofana at centre forward.  But we no longer p.ay the same way we did under Martin O'Neill.  If it was tried and didn't work, melt down could occur in the forum.

The difficulty of signing quality back up strikers is partly a testament to the success of Vardy.  Slimani was arguably a quality striker but that didn't work out.

Arrogant may not be a little strong but anyone in Football knows your always only one bad Tackle away from an injury.. 

Now, when you add in the fact that scoring Goals are such an import part of the game why would you take that risk. Especially when you're carrying 5 or 6 CB,

As for philosophy, strangely ours are not that far apart. Except I always understood the object was to win games, The how or method didn't matter after the game.

My point is desperate situations call for desperate measures. So why not try something different. At least he could say he tried and it didn't work.

You can always sign players from three different groups. Those on the way up. Cheap but untested. Quality, Expensive but Risky ala Slimani,( Though I'd never call Slimani quality )

Those on the way down. again cheap but have the experience.

We've known now for a while that Kelechi and Perez are hit and miss, Yet we let the Summer Window pass and worse still the January window knowing we needed someone to cover for Vardy.

As late as yesterday we could still have got someone like Sturridge in , Someone who Brendan knows well.

Yet he was trying to sign cover for Tielemans when we can always move Maddison back if needed. 

At the end of the day, If we don't sore Goals we're not going to win Matches. Given our current league position and the opportunities we have it just seems daft to not bring in someone for Vardy.

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I say again, how on earth can Pérez play as a lone striker?
No way is he strong enough to shield the ball with his back to goal. 
Defenders will just knock him over! 
Either play him where he’s going to have some good effect or not at all. 
I’m no Nacho fan, but I’d play him over Perez as a lone striker 

this is why Barnes up front would work pace and power plus the lad can finish would be 10x more effective than Perez or Nacho yet he will never try it 

Wenger did it with Henry 

the last thig Barnes should be doing is defnding 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

this is why Barnes up front would work pace and power plus the lad can finish would be 10x more effective than Perez or Nacho yet he will never try it 

Wenger did it with Henry 

the last thig Barnes should be doing is defnding 

Yes, agree with this.  Ronaldo and Walcott are another couple of wingers who played up front.

It's not ideal to play Barnes up front as we would miss his runs cutting in from the left, but we need to do something, the Perez experiment has failed and we are looking toothless without Vardy.  Barnes has qualities that Perez and Kelechi lack - pace, power and confidence.  A temporary front three of Albrighton, Barnes and Under would give us more of a cutting edge.

I think we are missing a trick here but if Rodgers reconsidered, would he be brave enough to go back on his word after publicly dismissing the idea?

• Like 3

Perez appears to me pretty isolated on the pitch and even in Tunnel cam videos. By and large our players look  a gregarious , friendly lot. Some introverts, most extroverts.Can't be otherwise ,they are human.By  nature I suspect Perez is an introvert. Lots of us are. maybe half the population. That does not mean he is a bad player and in fact there have been many good players even great players who are introverts, but you are more likely to get better results from players who feel part of the team and who are enjoying their football. Read about the effect of their time in Italy on Dennis Law and Joe Baker, not particularly introverted players and the effect on their form.

I suspect playing for us he enjoys more than he did at Newcastle,but not enough.  Anyone who has managed people successfully could hardly fsil to spot this. Perez obviously has courage and continues to try his best . BR is reputed to be a good man manager, Gerrard said the best he'd come across and he had a few in his playing career. BR has always struck me as a decent guy and the only way I can see he continues to play Perez when he has much better options is he is not ruthless enough. I don't think he will ever become ruthless ,or has to  but in any field including football one sometimes has to be to do your job.well. In fact you are usually being kinder to the rest of the team, and long term to the player.. I believe these bad decisions are affecting our results and our success. I can assure that I would not be playing Perez who I hope eventually ends up at a club where he' s content. I don't think myself, that will ever be in the PL.

I can't be sure this is correct but as I've quoted before I made my living from watching body language and faces. I was n't always right. but right enough often enough to make a good living. Have a look for yourselves. Theres.s plenty of video on the club match day page both match time. Tunnel cam etc.

Incidently some members seemed surprised to find players followed FT. Believe me human nature says they all do . You do get actors and film stars who claim not to read their notices. There may be some but that is not the way to bet. Unless BR has found some way to stop it they'll all read the Forum. If you think you would n't you don't know much about yourself imo.

I dislike this sort of opinion in a public forum but as I've said before I'm more interested in the progree of LCFC than individual players . Read Guy Roux, probably the greatest football manager , certainly the greatest I know of, On handling players. He has an entry on wikipedia which will lead you to more about him. He loved all his players and was one of the good guys imo but ruthless when he had to be.

Edited by Alan Frost

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Yes, agree with this.  Ronaldo and Walcott are another couple of wingers who played up front.

It's not ideal to play Barnes up front as we would miss his runs cutting in from the left, but we need to do something, the Perez experiment has failed and we are looking toothless without Vardy.  Barnes has qualities that Perez and Kelechi lack - pace, power and confidence.  A temporary front three of Albrighton, Barnes and Under would give us more of a cutting edge.

I think we are missing a trick here but if Rodgers reconsidered, would he be brave enough to go back on his word after publicly dismissing the idea?

I like your examples and I do agree Barnes has the characteristics to play upfront as you have mentioned. But receiving the ball back to goal under pressure is a lot harder than on the wing. Barnes, for me is one of the best wingers in the league. He is now adding an end product and getting the goals his runs and positions deserve. Should we move him from the wing when he is currently our main attacking threat. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Unique FC said:

I like your examples and I do agree Barnes has the characteristics to play upfront as you have mentioned. But receiving the ball back to goal under pressure is a lot harder than on the wing. Barnes, for me is one of the best wingers in the league. He is now adding an end product and getting the goals his runs and positions deserve. Should we move him from the wing when he is currently our main attacking threat. 

YES. he'd obviously be even more of an attacking threat in the centre. Have a look at all his recent goals . He's often in the centre and receiving the ball in the centre. Barnes does n't feel pressure . he's very Vardy like . when he gets it wrong or fails he forgets it quickly .He is very under rated at LCFC . I suspect he's loyal, I know he's a worker . Other clubs and pundits are starting to notice whats under our nose.

Kepp underating a player and eventually he'll get wise. Thats how you lose even loyal players. Almost every week he performs wonderfully. He must be getting a bit pissed off no one notices at KP.

Do the obvious, he'll be even better with the confidence that will give him and when JV returns and they both play up front he'll be learning. next season we won't have  to lash out for a striker. It will extend JV career. Just imagine defenders pressed by JV and Barnes or having both running fast at them.

10 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

YES. he'd obviously be even more of an attacking threat in the centre. Have a look at all his recent goals . He's often in the centre and receiving the ball in the centre. Barnes does n't feel pressure . he's very Vardy like . when he gets it wrong or fails he forgets it quickly .He is very under rated at LCFC . I suspect he's loyal, I know he's a worker . Other clubs and pundits are starting to notice whats under our nose.

Kepp underating a player and eventually he'll get wise. Thats how you lose even loyal players. Almost every week he performs wonderfully. He must be getting a bit pissed off no one notices at KP.

Do the obvious, he'll be even better with the confidence that will give him and when JV returns and they both play up front he'll be learning. next season we won't have  to lash out for a striker. It will extend JV career. Just imagine defenders pressed by JV and Barnes or having both running fast at them.

I don't think he is underrated but fans and certainly not our manager. Barnes starts every game. We know how good he is. 

I still think we keep Barnes where he is doing so well. Agree on his recent goals, from central positions, however he is not the striker in those scenarios. He is not receiving the ball with a defender behind him. He is always on the half turn. Because he can drift from the wing he is a lot harder to pick up. I just can't see moving of one our best players at the current time. Massively agree we need to change the striker or our approach. I may be wrong and he could be like a Bale leading the line for Wales. Interesting who Rodgers chooses tonight, I would guess he will stick with Perez though. 

It's not just perez's strength that's the issue, it's his strength + his tendency to run with the ball straight into opposition defenders. I thought he got into some good positions against leeds tbh, better movement than i was expecting, could have gotten a goal on another day. What let him down was his tendency to drive straight into the opposition when we were in transition, killing off 5 or so of our counterattacks, it's why i dont buy this whole he's playing in the wrong position narrative, he does this whatever position he plays in, on the wing, as a striker, as a 10, he did it at newcastle as well. If he carried the ball more intelligently and didnt kamakaze himself into defenders he would be a much better player, sadly considering his age i think it's a bit too late for him to rework his game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

It's not just perez's strength that's the issue, it's his strength + his tendency to run with the ball straight into opposition defenders. I thought he got into some good positions against leeds tbh, better movement than i was expecting, could have gotten a goal on another day. What let him down was his tendency to drive straight into the opposition when we were in transition, killing off 5 or so of our counterattacks, it's why i dont buy this whole he's playing in the wrong position narrative, he does this whatever position he plays in, on the wing, as a striker, as a 10, he did it at newcastle as well. If he carried the ball more intelligently and didnt kamakaze himself into defenders he would be a much better player, sadly considering his age i think it's a bit too late for him to rework his game.

This is so true. Plays footie like Scott Gibbs played rugby. Identify the biggest gaggle of bodies and run straight at it. However Gibbs had the power to retain his ball. Ayoze just coughs it up - over and over again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Unique FC said:

I don't think he is underrated but fans and certainly not our manager. Barnes starts every game. We know how good he is. 

I still think we keep Barnes where he is doing so well. Agree on his recent goals, from central positions, however he is not the striker in those scenarios. He is not receiving the ball with a defender behind him. He is always on the half turn. Because he can drift from the wing he is a lot harder to pick up. I just can't see moving of one our best players at the current time. Massively agree we need to change the striker or our approach. I may be wrong and he could be like a Bale leading the line for Wales. Interesting who Rodgers chooses tonight, I would guess he will stick with Perez though. 

You could be right as I've assumed that Barnes would carry the ball forwards into the striking area (sonething he's excellent at and improving) which would crowd or replace Maddison. I think we'd both agree that when JV comes back he should obviously be central with Barnes and Under supporting.I've suggested Barnes would be more central than Under (and than you would have him) who is still a little bit more untested than Barnes. You are certainly right about being on the half turn but his physique I think would  mean he could take and hold up a ball before laying it back to Tielemans, Ndidi or Madison for a shot. Admittedly I have n't seen that or looked for it.

The advantage of my plan would be the avoidance in the medium term of buying a replacement for JV ( expensive and carries risks).Fitting a new forward in is imo one of the biggest potential risks in football. If Barnes and JV as twin forwards worked it would extend JVs career,and improve our pressing. IMO Iheanacho and Perez do "token pressing" .They are terrified any more might win the ball. Moreover I think JV and Barnes would enjoy each other's success, they'd love it.

If BR selects Perez or Iheanacho tonight imo  there's a big risk of no points against a weaker opponent ( as with Leeds and Everton). That could effectively kill our top 4 hopes and the effect on morale would dent Cup and EL hopes. 

Nice to get a thinking reply for once instead of the obsession with every player playing where his label  suggests.A square peg in a round hole is often a better replacement for a worn round peg in a worn hole.(I'm an engineer by training).

Edited by Alan Frost
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hansifüx said:

unbelievable ... he is starting again ....  Is he married to BR's daughter or what the hell is going on there

BR spent a lot of money bringing him to the club, and he's got to justify it, unfortunately.:(

2 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

You could be right as I've assumed that Barnes would carry the ball forwards into the striking area (sonething he's excellent at and improving) which would crowd or replace Maddison. I think we'd both agree that when JV comes back he should obviously be central with Barnes and Under supporting.I've suggested Barnes would be more central than Under (and than you would have him) who is still a little bit more untested than Barnes. You are certainly right about being on the half turn but his physique I think would  mean he could take and hold up a ball before laying it back to Tielemans, Ndidi or Madison for a shot. Admittedly I have n't seen that or looked for it.

The advantage of my plan would be the avoidance in the medium term of buying a replacement for JV ( expensive and carries risks).Fitting a new forward in is imo one of the biggest potential risks in football. If Barnes and JV as twin forwards worked it would extend JVs career,and improve our pressing. IMO Iheanacho and Perez do "token pressing" .They are terrified any more might win the ball. Moreover I think JV and Barnes would enjoy each other's success, they'd love it.

If BR selects Perez or Iheanacho tonight imo  there's a big risk of no points against a weaker opponent ( as with Leeds and Everton). That could effectively kill our top 4 hopes and the effect on morale would dent Cup and EL hopes. 

Nice to get a thinking reply for once instead of the obsession with every player playing where his label  suggests.A square peg in a round hole is often a better replacement for a worn round peg in a worn hole.(I'm an engineer by training).

His ability to run with the ball is incredible. I would like to see a team of Under, Barnes and Vardy as the front 3. For some reason Brendan seems to use Under as an impact sub. For me he offers a lot more than others who currently play. 

Barnes certainly has the attributes for a striker as you have mentioned, and his work rate makes him the most obvious replacement for Vardy. When Vardy first arrived at our club he was not great receiving under the pressure from opposing CBs, now for me he is one of the best in the league with laying the ball off and always a threat in behind. Barnes certainly has someone he can learn from if the club see Barnes as an alternative. 

We have not done so well against the "lesser " sides, this is where we always seem to stumble. I hope I am wrong for tonight. We missed a trick with not getting a striker in the window and strengthening the side, I think. Just for a boost to the team, in case injuries happen, extra motivation in training. Everton and Wolves both got strikers this window in on loan. 

Nothing wrong with trying new options, I would rather do that, than continue with something that clearly does not work. 

Just now, Kevin Russell said:

I mean a striker like we saw this evening - not perfect, not like Vardy, but ready to impact the game.

Yes, he is never a line leading striker