Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2020

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

It's absolutely nuts. It never used to be too bad, Arsenal were weirdly over the top but by and large it wasn't anything like FIFA where the big clubs had their players way over rated. 

But the last two or three versions it had started getting way out of hand. It's very transparently done just to sell the game more to a growing generation of entitled, spoilt, partisan kids who believe everything twitter and sky sports tell them about the big clubs. 

Look at Lovren ffs! 

https://fmdataba.com/20/p/147147/dejan-lovren/

Makes him one of the better defenders in the league when that is patently not the case. Evans and Soyuncu are by far better and aren't as good as him on the game, what a joke. Our researcher thought positioning was an attacking stat until I pointed it out lol, Ndidi previously had 12 positioning I moaned about it and it got upgraded to a whopping 14 when he's one of the best defensive midfielders on the planet.

I loathe our researcher to be honest, or whichever corporate bigwig readjusts his scores afterwards. 

I can't really think of one of our players over recent years that hasn't been hilariously under rated. 

Meanwhile every version has Anthony Knockaert, since leaving, looking like some sort of discount Totti. Or similarly Premier League flop Vicktor Fischer whose FM profile makes Harvey Barnes look like Zsolt Lackzo. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I really like the Bundesliga in real life and always enjoy the beginnings of a save there on FM, particularly if I come up from the second tier. 

But I do find it too easy once you either pick a big team or you make a bit of money. 

It's just such a weak, weak league. Like it shouldn't be, the researchers have just always seriously under rated it for some reason. Like, look at Lyon. Every year, Lyon have a squad that could ****ing smash the Prem with some of the best young players in the game. Guys like Tousart who are bang average IRL can instantly sign for a champions league semi final team and be a club captain, he's nuts with great mentals.

In contrast, you look at Freiburg's squad or Gladbach or Schalke and there aren't many players you'd want to sign if you were playing in the Championship. It's stupid. 

Then you go and look at Mason Greenwood and what the United researchers have given him. It's absurd. 

It makes absolutely walking the Bundesliga way too easy cos the money you get for champions league if you get there and the reputation of the league, plus no signing limits or work permits, makes it so easy to fill your squad with South American wonder kids and piss it. 

Do you think there's a case that they're over-estimating South Americans a bit as well? For years people have been raiding Argentina and Brazil for about £5-10mil a head, for genuinely top players on occasion and used this to go on to piss leagues.

Yet this never, ever happens in real life.

Serbia also don't produce that many top players either. I love them within the game but I'm questioning the realism a bit there.

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I loathe our researcher to be honest, or whichever corporate bigwig readjusts his scores afterwards. 

I can't really think of one of our players over recent years that hasn't been hilariously under rated. 

Meanwhile every version has Anthony Knockaert, since leaving, looking like some sort of discount Totti. Or similarly Premier League flop Vicktor Fischer whose FM profile makes Harvey Barnes look like Zsolt Lackzo. 

Some of ours are a ****ing disgrace. Ricardo being treated like he's ****ing Adam Smith or Elmohammady.

image.thumb.png.9588fa3cd338843a9b14a0a0eabad562.png

I mean it's not good but believe me it was a lot, lot worse than that. We had a complete disaster opening few months and had a pathetic 3 points and 5 goals after 15 games lol I think with the form we've shown since that we're going to be alright, 4-4-2 has done wonders for us and we're scoring plenty now, whilst also still having Deportivo and Alaves still to come away here.

Embarrassing how bad we were before though and annoying that it could still sink me yet.

15 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's absolutely nuts. It never used to be too bad, Arsenal were weirdly over the top but by and large it wasn't anything like FIFA where the big clubs had their players way over rated. 

But the last two or three versions it had started getting way out of hand. It's very transparently done just to sell the game more to a growing generation of entitled, spoilt, partisan kids who believe everything twitter and sky sports tell them about the big clubs. 

Arsenal won the league fairly comfortably in my first season on the game ... I've done several seasons now:

1) Newport County - got promoted via the play-offs

2) got sacked with Newport (went on a horrific 10+ game losing streak) they went down anyway. Was strange. I was doing well then I couldn't work out what was going wrong. I was playing 5-3-2 and making small tweaks but nothing was working.

3) I got the Ipswich job (still in league 1) (don't know how I got that job and was pretty unrealistic). Currently second in League 1 with a 4-2-31 Tika press which is so good. Sometimes I have over 70% possession and over 40 shots on goal (I had one result which had over 60% possession and 30+ shots to Lincoln's 3 and lost 1v0). Think we will get promoted but it is only November right now. Ipswich have great youth players which is nice to breed!

• Like 1

Latest update in the now semi professional Southport adventure, eyes down, here we go. 

With finances in trouble I had no option but to try and shift some players, some that I wanted to let go and some that I didn't. 4 players, £155k and to be honest very minimal impact in our dire financial situation. 

Ironically we started the National League season exactly the same way we did the last one, a 4-0 opening day victory. Cue my cause for concern given the last time this happened. I needn't have worried, it seems like the lads have taken to training twice a week like a duck to water. I mean if we could all do our jobs twice a week, we'd love it, right? 

We started the season with an 8 game unbeaten run, George Newell the Crown Jewell firing the lads up the table in the early stages and heading the league goalscoring charts. Then form typically wobbles and Charlie Oliver, my best centre half leaves to join league rivals York. We were down to 7th. Gutted.

Meanwhile I'm also still trying to offload some periperhal wingers to balance the books with little success. The non league paper interview says that "some might say you're a wheeler dealer", I respond in true fashion with "I ain't no facking wheeler dealer mate, fack off".

With no money to sign anyone, inspired by a fellow poster on here, I tried to sign loanees with no wage contribution, with some decent success. Credit to the fellow FM posters there. With the loanees involved my midfield is now performing well, but led by an existing young star Connor McKendry, who fired back to back league hat tricks to register 7 goals in 3 games to be the Sandgrounders leading scorer this season from the right wing. Who needs Mo Salah? 

After our typical wobble we have restrapped our nappies back on and won 7 of the last 9 league games (2 draws) to finally overhaul Torquay who'd lead pretty much from the start. 26 games in and a point clear with a game in hand. Dagenham & Redbridge in 3rd next. 

Who knew training just twice a week, absymal financial acumen and turning your club semi pro was such a successful strategy? Long may it continue as I think promotion is our only survival hope. The board have just shoved another £85k in the coffers just as I turned in for the night. I promise I'll improve Mr Chairman. We both know how good I am with promises......

To be continued....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Oh lads it's been a roller coaster in the land of maple syrup with the Wanderers.

CONCACAF Champions League essentially started and finished in the Canadian pre-season. First up, Monterrey. Thought I'd be in for a hiding, managed a 2-2 draw away, took them back to my gaff and sucked the life out of them, 0-0, don't mind it WHATSOEVER.

Atlanta United up next, drew away, beat them at home, through to the semis. SOMEONE PINCH ME I remarked to myself.

Real Salt Lake next up, pretty confident now, I can roll over MLS sides so thought 50/50 chance here. Beat them 2-0 away and 4-1 at home, the boys are cooking on gas mark roasting and there's a palpable buzz in Nova Scotia about the lads. 

One of my best players is a Belgian centre half, far too good for the league, who insisted on a buyout clause. After the semi-final, LA Galaxy come sniffing - I thought nothing of it, the night before the final, the ****ing Belgian turncoat is out flaunting next to the bastard Hollywood sign, back pocket on absolute fire and a deadness behind the eyes. Sell-out Tintin ****. Gonna have to play my back up centre half who is notoriously shit, once again the MLS and their finances have done me over.

Onto the big one, Pumas UNAM in the final, still two legs, still away goals. Draw the away leg 0-0, could be worse. They come back to Halifax and they take the lead through an early pen - at that point I really thought the adventure had come to an end but still immeasurably proud of my side and what they've done. 38 mins, big Daniel Haber, the icon, my first transfer and freebie, pops up with a Vardy v United in the 5-3 type finish. SURELY NOT. Then I went full Richard Hillman second half, ended playing a ridiculous formation, stuck two up top, very attacking, all out nonsense baby. 

84 mins, my Texan 17 year old striker, a summer signing from the American lower leagues, who's on 110 nicker a week, wriggles free on the left and approaches, ice in his veins, he slots it in, 2-1. I crack open a squash to celebrate. The capacity 7,350 crowd go berserk, I swear you'll never see anything like this again, so watch it, DRINK IT IN. 

THE MONEY MEN OF AMERICA AND MEXICO GOT DONE BY A SQUAD WITH A WAGE CAP OF £11K A WEEK LADS, THEIR REIGN OF TERROR IS FINALLY OVER. 

Untitled-1-01.png

The wanderers fans are firing their AKs up in the air in celebration 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4727d50296996d43c743

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Oh lads it's been a roller coaster in the land of maple syrup with the Wanderers.

CONCACAF Champions League essentially started and finished in the Canadian pre-season. First up, Monterrey. Thought I'd be in for a hiding, managed a 2-2 draw away, took them back to my gaff and sucked the life out of them, 0-0, don't mind it WHATSOEVER.

Atlanta United up next, drew away, beat them at home, through to the semis. SOMEONE PINCH ME I remarked to myself.

Real Salt Lake next up, pretty confident now, I can roll over MLS sides so thought 50/50 chance here. Beat them 2-0 away and 4-1 at home, the boys are cooking on gas mark roasting and there's a palpable buzz in Nova Scotia about the lads. 

One of my best players is a Belgian centre half, far too good for the league, who insisted on a buyout clause. After the semi-final, LA Galaxy come sniffing - I thought nothing of it, the night before the final, the ****ing Belgian turncoat is out flaunting next to the bastard Hollywood sign, back pocket on absolute fire and a deadness behind the eyes. Sell-out Tintin ****. Gonna have to play my back up centre half who is notoriously shit, once again the MLS and their finances have done me over.

Onto the big one, Pumas UNAM in the final, still two legs, still away goals. Draw the away leg 0-0, could be worse. They come back to Halifax and they take the lead through an early pen - at that point I really thought the adventure had come to an end but still immeasurably proud of my side and what they've done. 38 mins, big Daniel Haber, the icon, my first transfer and freebie, pops up with a Vardy v United in the 5-3 type finish. SURELY NOT. Then I went full Richard Hillman second half, ended playing a ridiculous formation, stuck two up top, very attacking, all out nonsense baby. 

84 mins, my Texan 17 year old striker, a summer signing from the American lower leagues, who's on 110 nicker a week, wriggles free on the left and approaches, ice in his veins, he slots it in, 2-1. I crack open a squash to celebrate. The capacity 7,350 crowd go berserk, I swear you'll never see anything like this again, so watch it, DRINK IT IN. 

THE MONEY MEN OF AMERICA AND MEXICO GOT DONE BY A SQUAD WITH A WAGE CAP OF £11K A WEEK LADS, THEIR REIGN OF TERROR IS FINALLY OVER. 

Untitled-1-01.png

I need to improve my updates to compete with this, absolutely class. 

• Haha 1

Left Orlando Pirates after winning two League/Champions League doubles. Wanted to go to Korea but Seoul wouldn't have me and I stupidly Irejected Jeonbuk's interview offer because in my mind I had the Seoul job sewn up. Worra chump. Off to pastures new in Mexico at Toluca, got banging facilities and a proper youth set up so should be competing for the tile in a few seasons. We're pretty average at the moment but we have enough dough to groom some unsuspecting Paraguayan children. 

2 hours ago, MPH said:

for 4 games in a row now Praet has scored absolute screamers from outside of the box one was a 35 yard shot and another a 39 yard free kick. Maddison injured.... can you drop a midfielder who does that!?!?

I always give up on my Leicester saves because I get bored quickly but Praet always overperformed.

The Southport Saga continued today with us slapping Dagenham and Redbridge 4 zip first game up. Lovely. 

The boys then decided that we don't do cup games any more, tinpot stuff for our semi pros anyway, we got a few replays then the lads didn't fancy turning up pon de replay (bit of classic RiRi for the lads, everyone loves a classic amirite or am I right lads?!). 

Anyway like a James Watt special we steamroller everyone in our path going 16 unbeaten before back to back defeats at Chesterfield and lowly Billericay and our lead disintegrates from 11 points to 5. The old knees start knocking, classic wobble. Even the boards feeling the pressure, injecting another £350k into the coffers to help us stay semi pro. With 12 games to the lads rattle off 7 on the spin to put us one win away from the title away at Kidderminster. They go all up tempo, hassle and harry-us (harriers geddit?!) and beat us 2-1, true FM style with a player registering their first goal for the club to seal the deal. 

3 games to go, 8 points clear and Barrow up next. Conor McKendry, the Southport Mo Salah, bangs one top bins with 79 on the clock to send the Sandgrounders faithful into raptures. And now you're gonna believe usssss, the semi pros have won the league!! 

Still two games to go to finish the season, but the board have had the champers out, feeling the love and have asked me if I think we should go professional. Into the Football League and back to Professional-dom we go! 

Edited by HowardsBulletHeader
  • Like 3

Can't work this game out. 3rd season in the Premier league with Notts County, probably the best group of players the clubs ever had, and its possibly my worst season to date. Was hoping to be challenging for that 7th spot but finished an awful 16th with 40 points, 15 less than last seasons total. We did however go deep in both cups, semi-finals for both, losing to Chelsea in caraboa then Man City in the FA. Just can not compete with teams like theirs though, ridiculous depth.

The chairman's just sold up and his replacement is about as ambitious, seriously starting to wonder where all the money's going as i'm not seeing an awful lot of it to build a decent side. We do however have a very youthful first team so i'm hoping it clicks soon and we start to take teams apart.