Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2020

15 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

FMT has more than enough detail and depth for me, but you don't have to fanny around with team talks, press conferences and stuff.

Streamlined staff as well so you don't need to hire 50+ staff members.

The full game might be the definitive version of the game, but FMT is more practical imo

I'm on touch as well on android. Much better than the mobile version which I had years ago (never again).

There's more than enough screens to keep you busy. My only issue is you can only select 3 nations to run at the same time (don't know if this is the case for PC).

1 hour ago, snoopy87 said:

My only issue is you can only select 3 nations to run at the same time (don't know if this is the case for PC).

On PC you can run as many nations as your PC will handle, although doing so means you can't cross save with Ipad for example. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

@Dan LCFC

There isn't scripting and definitely not for cards / suspensions. I very rarely even get strikers or wingers booked so I'd be interested to know what you're doing tactically. 

Full backs and defensive midfielders are usually my biggest problem, I always sub them off no later than 50ish minutes if they've been booked and I can. 2020 the "tackle harder" team instruction is basically suicide so if you're using that you might want to reconsider. 

Fixtures have always been a bit suspicious, there's a lot of confirmation bias in this so I'd be interested to see the stats but for years I've felt they're weighted towards giving the player more challenge. Given how easy the rest of the game is though, that's probably not a terrible thing even if true and it probably isn't. 

You're right about team talks though. The ones before a game and at half time are the worst because they can have such a genuinely profound impact which is absurd for a small handful of multiple choice, generic statements. I don't know what they should replace them with exactly but the whole system needs a rework. 

Don't get me wrong, we are quite an aggressive team so I feel like a bit of a twat moaning about yellow cards, but it just seems like the frequency that we go from having 3/4 players available in one position to precisely 0 is ridiculous. Ahead of the final game of last season, a crunch game with Valencia, I lost both of my left backs in training injuries and had to play a right back there. The frequency I seem to find myself having to put together a stupidly makeshift side does my head in. I had one game as well where I have three wingers, all of them are one yellow card away from a suspension, one of them gets sent off so I bring the other on, and then the other two get booked lol it just seems like we stagger suspensions & injuries terribly. It's either awful luck or scripting.

The cup draws are fixed and I'm sure of it. I don't know if there's something I'm missing in the seeding rules for the Copa Del Rey but the fact the top four sides all got the easiest possible draw on four occasions, the odds of that must be in the thousands, that's either scripting or some rule that I've missed.

What I hate about fixture lists is how badly they mix up home and away games. Such a basic part of the game you would imagine and I am routinely getting fixture lists where we'll have 3, even 4 home games in a row, and then the same for away games. It's totally unrealistic and so easy to fix.

They do need a new system for team talks. I still feel like I can't really get my message across at times. I had another silly one yesterday. An absolutely ridiculous game, actually, away at Villarreal where Villarreal went down to 10 men in the 55th minute, then went 1-0 up in the 83rd, then we scored in the 89th and 90th, and then proceeded to chuck it in the 96th. I was absolutely livid and yet the game somehow registers what happened as a good outcome because we drew away at a 'better' side (who we've finished above the last two seasons FWIW), even though we have absolutely failed to capitalise on them having ten men and done it spectacularly, yet if I bollock them, it will piss them off?

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's either awful luck or scripting

Honestly it might be neither. 

Like I said, I almost never get cards for attacking players. I think it's worth taking a step back and spotting patterns. 

The difference between the poor and average FM players and the very good ones is that they stop seeing events as random, fluke, luck, the game cheating, scripting, or anything else shady and just start looking for patterns, looking for things that they're actually doing to cause the issue. 

Could you rotate better? Could you play less aggressively generally? Could you not, in that situation, have amended the instructions for your wingers so as to make them play basically like Riyad? 

If you're consistently injuring players, particularly in the same position, why? What's your tolerance for condition? What is your staff like? Your training like? The hardness of coaches training? There's so many variables in the game, nothing is really a coincidence. 

Don't get me wrong, there's still RNG. Just like real life there are times you are JUST unlucky. But what you're describing doesn't sound like bad luck, it sounds like a trend you're not fixing. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Honestly it might be neither. 

Like I said, I almost never get cards for attacking players. I think it's worth taking a step back and spotting patterns. 

The difference between the poor and average FM players and the very good ones is that they stop seeing events as random, fluke, luck, the game cheating, scripting, or anything else shady and just start looking for patterns, looking for things that they're actually doing to cause the issue. 

Could you rotate better? Could you play less aggressively generally? Could you not, in that situation, have amended the instructions for your wingers so as to make them play basically like Riyad? 

If you're consistently injuring players, particularly in the same position, why? What's your tolerance for condition? What is your staff like? Your training like? The hardness of coaches training? There's so many variables in the game, nothing is really a coincidence. 

Don't get me wrong, there's still RNG. Just like real life there are times you are JUST unlucky. But what you're describing doesn't sound like bad luck, it sounds like a trend you're not fixing. 

I agree and I normally roll my eyes at the word scripting so I feel an absolute twat for using it lol but there have been a few instances of things happening where I do feel something isn't quite right. The cup draws one is the biggest one to me - that just cannot be by chance.

I amended my ihstructions in that game and they still committed the silly fouls, got suspended and I was left with two strikers on the wing for the next game. I think using strikers as an example was an error regarding specifically suspensions, although I got a bit shafted for injuries last season - had a three month injury to my main pressing forward in late January, opted to not get another in on loan and to use the back-up pressing forward - he gets the same injury the game after the window shuts. Annoying as I'd deliberately rotated my entire XI for the cup games, kept somehow winning, yet ended up getting my players snapped anyway.

I ultimately am not bemoaning the save. We've got the 19th biggest wage bill in La Liga, have come 7th the last two seasons and made the semis of the Europa League II, so I'm obviously doing something quite right, I'm just slightly ****ed off at a few little things but they're not really major issues, if you get me.

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I agree and I normally roll my eyes at the word scripting so I feel an absolute twat for using it lol but there have been a few instances of things happening where I do feel something isn't quite right. The cup draws one is the biggest one to me - that just cannot be by chance.

I amended my ihstructions in that game and they still committed the silly fouls, got suspended and I was left with two strikers on the wing for the next game. I think using strikers as an example was an error regarding specifically suspensions, although I got a bit shafted for injuries last season - had a three month injury to my main pressing forward in late January, opted to not get another in on loan and to use the back-up pressing forward - he gets the same injury the game after the window shuts. Annoying as I'd deliberately rotated my entire XI for the cup games, kept somehow winning, yet ended up getting my players snapped anyway.

I ultimately am not bemoaning the save. We've got the 19th biggest wage bill in La Liga, have come 7th the last two seasons and made the semis of the Europa League II, so I'm obviously doing something quite right, I'm just slightly ****ed off at a few little things but they're not really major issues, if you get me.

When you're selecting your teams do you ever look at the fitness reports?  These ones:

326745144_injuryrisk.thumb.png.9609ecbc870a30e49547ad28bda617ec.png

17 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

When you're selecting your teams do you ever look at the fitness reports?  These ones:

FWIW it's worth, I don't and I don't have a lot of injury problems. 

I typically don't sign anyone that's injury prone, even wonderkids that look they've probably got like 190+ PA. 

I always play high intensity, high "injury risk" tactics and it always says that before kick off. 

But I tend to not overwork players in training, where most injuries seem to happen IMO and I don't play anyone in a match that's not 95~ current condition. 

• Like 1

So, what do you do when facing yet another game restart after countless pentagon attempts? thats right, download more leagues and start the HEXAGON challenge!

starting at Tafea FC in Port Vila, the expect the league title, the league cup and to be quarter finalist in the Oceanic champions league. not much for their 14k transfer budget they are giving me! Will be interesting to manage in a new country. hopefully, this one lasts the distance

Tafea F.C. - Wikipedia

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I don't but my problem isn't so much with frequency of injuries - it's the frequency I seem to lose literally everybody in one particular position for a game or two. I think I rotate quite well. I genuinely think we've just been a bit unlucky.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

lol and right on cue, my winger gets a 6 week injury on international duty.

Sighs.

Back-up right winger gets a yellow card next game, then handballs when on a booking. Sent off.

I'm trying to make scientific sense but this is just stupid. Are they thick or what?

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Back-up right winger gets a yellow card next game, then handballs when on a booking. Sent off.

I'm trying to make scientific sense but this is just stupid. Are they thick or what?

I had this in a cup game against Bolton. stupid yellow in the 1st minute, so I tell my star centre back this is by the way, ease off challenges  Gets a second yellow for hand ball on the left wing! The goals about 40 yards away, there's no need at all, but in the 37th minute, the bloke Tottenham wanted for £57m, handballs it for sh*ts & giggles I suppose!

Edited by snoopy87

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

Isn't there any player instruction that tells them to try and avoid a card? 

Yeah you can have them ease off in tackles, you can also have them close down less urgently which isn't as damming as your gut instinct might tell you it is. 

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

Isn't there any player instruction that tells them to try and avoid a card? 

I'd imagine playing for us it's "put on transfer list" lol 

I genuinely don't have a problem with the fact we get cards but it's the timing of them. We're already a winger down and he handballs while on a yellow. ****ing single figure IQ football.

23 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Got my Northern Irish side through to knockout Europa, oh lordy lord, give me the keys to the town and make a statue of me outside my 550 capacity ground

Squeezed past Sevilla on away goals to get beat by United in the quarters. Still proud of the boys considering the standard of the league and only having been pro for one season before this.

Goal now has to be to make the Champions League proper but I always come up against Celtic in the final play-off who've got the better of me twice, they've got a hole burning in their pocket with Edouard cash and some class youngsters.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

On 01/06/2020 at 18:12, Carl the Llama said:

Out of interest - do you play your players as per your tactic dictates, or their best role within that position?

For example, you have Madders as AMC, but clearly he has a defined role (support) within the tactic. which takes him from full green to partially green.

Wonder what the trade off is between being full green in a given position to being less than full green and given a particular role? I suppose retraining them would be the answer.

What does everyone else do?

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

There should be a more specific instruction really. 

"Don't get sent off" and "don't be retarded" aren't tactics, they're common sense. 

Football Manager players don't have common sense by default, their personalities are defined by more mental stats than I've ever known in any sport simulation, strategy game, role playing game or any other game or simulation. 

Plenty of those are hidden, including how sportsman like or dirty they are, how they handle high pressure matches and how professional they are. 

Combine those with stats you can see like composure, decision making, tackling, technique, fouls are going to to happen. Some from anger, some from incompetence, IE you've got attacking players with low tackling and marking stats and you're telling them to go and press and make lots of tackles that they don't have the skill to pull off, they're going to commit fouls. 

Remember Paul Scholes? How many bookings did he get because he was a crap but overly willing tackler? I mean, even good tackles pick up cards if they make enough of them, Ngolo Kante is one of the best technical tacklers I've ever seen but he gets his fair share of yellows. 

It's also possible that if Dan has assembled a squad of high aggression, high work rate, high determination players to fit his style then he's inadvertently filled it also with rash, dirty cvnts that are prone to cards. 

I mean, to put that in a real life context, do you not think Sergio Ramos has been told by plenty of managers to be careful of the fact he's on a yellow card and to not do anything stupid? And how many times has he gotten sent off anyway? 

Edited by Finnegan

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Out of interest - do you play your players as per your tactic dictates, or their best role within that position?

For example, you have Madders as AMC, but clearly he has a defined role (support) within the tactic. which takes him from full green to partially green.

Wonder what the trade off is between being full green in a given position to being less than full green and given a particular role? I suppose retraining them would be the answer.

If I have him playing with an attacking role he'll keep getting in the way of my inside forwards, having him sit back a bit more means he plays them in instead.  Tbh I don't usually play him at AM anyway, my main AM is Majer who plays as an AP(support) and I recently brought in Buendia to challenge for that role.  Maddison's been my main man in the left-sided IF role but in this instance I was resting both Majer and Buendia so Madders came in.  I'm actually in a bit of a pickle with Maddison now because I've signed Talles who's outplaying him and one of my youngsters in that position had an insane growth spurt over the summer, basically going from sub-par backup to walking into almost any team overnight.  As for the green circles, it's always visually pleasing to give every player their preferred role, but if you let their preferences dictate tactics you'll end up with some poorly matched up roles.   Generally as long as the circle's green I don't have any worries with the player's ability to perform, I'll even happily play players in yellow roles as a one-off backup.

On 01/06/2020 at 18:32, Finnegan said:

FWIW it's worth, I don't and I don't have a lot of injury problems. 

I typically don't sign anyone that's injury prone, even wonderkids that look they've probably got like 190+ PA. 

I always play high intensity, high "injury risk" tactics and it always says that before kick off. 

But I tend to not overwork players in training, where most injuries seem to happen IMO and I don't play anyone in a match that's not 95~ current condition. 

I don't live by it but I try to keep an eye on it, especially if a player's recently back from a long layoff.  Seems to help a little bit as there'll be spells where I forget to do so and I'll get something like what happened with my fullbacks a page or two back whereas I've never had anything similar happen when I am checking (I just lose more matches from not playing the best possible team instead).

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Right so, there's familiarity in position and there's suitability in role. 

Familiarity in position is how used a player is to playing AMC, ST, DMC, CB, RB, etc. Apparently, unless this has changed in the last couple of years (and I doubt it) every level below natural incurs a slight hit to decision making. 

Meaning a player with no position at all (ie putting Vardy at CB) would mean a substantial hit to decision making. Decision making dictates a lot, including how a player moves around the pitch. 

It apparently doesn't come with a hit to the positioning stat although personally I think it should. 

The role suitability, ie the little coloured segments next to Advanced Playmaker, Ball Winning Midfielder, Target Man, etc, are the game's estimation of how well that player is suited for that role based on his attributes. 

It can be taken with a pinch of salt to some extent, trust your own knowledge of your players attributes and what exactly you need based on your vision of your tactics.

• Like 1