Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2020

6 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Is 2020 worth getting? I'm half tempted, I'm near the end of my 19 save as I'm in my 60s and it is running a bit slow, but not sure whether to just wait for now

If it's on sale still why not?  Generally though you might as well stick to 19 with updated rosters until 21 comes out at this point, buying consecutive FM titles always seemed redundant to me.

20 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Is 2020 worth getting? I'm half tempted, I'm near the end of my 19 save as I'm in my 60s and it is running a bit slow, but not sure whether to just wait for now

I think so, yeah

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

If it's on sale still why not?  Generally though you might as well stick to 19 with updated rosters until 21 comes out at this point, buying consecutive FM titles always seemed redundant to me.

that's my issue, I always do a one long save and it'll only be a shorty if i get it 

Nobody will convince me there isn't some kind of scripting when it comes to suspensions. The regularity I go from having for example, 4 fit wingers, to 0 or 1 in a game is absolutely ridiculous.

It's strikers this time. I can only name 4 subs for my next league game and I'm lucky to even be in that position given I've got a South African winger back early from AFCON after a surprise loss, and my striker turning down Brugge after our window shut.

Just a nonsense. I ****ing hate the Copa Del Rey. Absolutely ****s us every single January. Tried to get out of it this year because of the fact I'm in Europe too and we go and win at Bilbao and Alaves, two grounds I usually struggle at.

I'm convinced there are some things on this you just can't avoid.

Edited by Dan LCFC

Also, Copa Del Rey draws are 100% fixed.

The top four get the easiest mix of draws they can possibly get, every time.

This season, round of 32, there are 6 third tier clubs but 2 of them not definitely through, the 4 who are - all get the top four. Round of 16, there are 5 second tier clubs left and 11 top tier - all four of them get second tier clubs.

Last season, pretty much exactly the same situation.

Is there something in the seeding that I'm missing? The odds of that must be in the millions. Total fix and part of the reason I thought **** it to the Copa Del Rey this season.

Sorry for the triple post but I also think they need to change team talks, particularly post-match, I'll give you an example.

I've just played Barcelona at home in the cup, played genuinely well but lost 0-2, the first a free kick from a stupidly overpowered Dybala, and the second was a counter attack right at the end. Basically - we played well, I cannot bollock them at all for that, I thought they did really well but ultimately got picked off by a side who are just about the best on the game.

I tell them "good effort, it wasn't meant to be" and am met with a load of red reactions. I'd like to see some kind of overhaul that leads to maybe even a 2/3 message dialogue where you can actually tell them that they did well but ultimately got picked off by unstoppable quality. That game wasn't worth a bollocking but at the same time, I don't want to praise a 0-2 loss.

PS **** the Copa Del Rey.

• Haha 1

Interest fell off a cliff after I climbed Mt. Everest in the Canadian Prem and was seemingly never regarded for anything approaching a half decent job anywhere else despite having the continent's top prize in the bag, so last week started a save with Limavady United in Northern Ireland's third tier, the Bluefin Sport Premier Intermediate League - we're a semi-pro outfit that can only dish out non-contracts.

Got them promoted and won the league cup in the process (pretty big achievement) and won the equivalent of the JPT in all. Second season was a breeze, retained the league cup and got promoted to the big boy division, the Danske Bank Premier League, baby! Linfield are the team to topple with great pulling power and academy lads, and Larne (owned by Purple Bricks' gaffer) are the only professional side in the division, the money men. Throughout this save I've had my carefully assembled squads picked apart by these vultures offering them wages I can't compete with, and, given their contract status, there's nothing I can do. Signed Sam Winnall though who was mustard in the few games I had him for in second tier, but has gone from poacher to target man, getting fat, slow and old basically - but he's a great lad to have around and one of the boys despite his goalscoring allergy.

Nine games in in the Danske and I've won 8 and drawn 1, including a 3-0 dismantling of Linfield on their patch, Windsor Park. I think I'll win the thing tbh and then the UCL is coming to Limavady, those crazy European nights for the Roesiders - and hopefully a decade of dominance will ensue. I really want to get enough cash together to go pro and try and achieve something on the continent but it's incredibly unlikely - I'll probably move to the Republic if the ceiling seems to arduous to crack.

Had two possible takeovers, full embargoes the lot, with true money men that could have made this save hilarious, go to the wall, and of course the fans' trust one went through. Am I glad to be the true people's club? I guess. But did I want that sweet ass no doubt illegally earned coin in the coffers? YOU KNOW IT BABY!

• Like 2

The game absolutely screwed me! Finished 7th with Notts County in my 9th season, Liverpool and Chelsea have won the domestic cups, both finished above me, I thought great, Europa Conference here we come. Nothing. Not even a message to say why we hadn't qualified nor anything resembling the co-efficient gong balls up. I was absolutely fuming to the point of jacking it all in.

Fast forward another season, another 7th placed finish on 63 points, achieve Europe this time! Qualification already assured before the FA cup final (between Liverpool and Chelsea). Norwich out of no where miss out on Champions League football on goal difference. If not for there season i'm in Europa League.

Problems start now. My chairman is expecting the semi finals as a minimum of whatever this Euro Cup 2 is on a budget of £60m. Then Man City come in and activate my Brazilian strikers £93m release clause, the lad I signed for £12m and persevered with through his twice a season goal droughts for 4 years. God knows why he's so highly thought of, the amount of times he's through on goal and practically passes it to the goalkeeper is beyond frustrating. So the summer spend has well and truly got under way. Blew £132m on 2 wingers, a midfielder and a defender who's not quite ready yet but has potential, and wages on a young English DM who Arsenal somehow let go. Had the foresight to sign a striker in the January window when "Zebre" came sniffing after my striker, but a young Spaniard at Real Madrid has caught my eye to fill the not so big void.

We were due to move into a new stadium this season, but there have been "delays", so Meadow Lane will play host to at least 1 night of European football.

On another note, have Chelsea become absolutely militant to the point of winning everything on anybody elses save?

Edited by snoopy87

Update. 16 games in, Chelsea have won every game and are 12 points clear at the top. Militant!

We're bobbling around 6th to 8th at the minute. Can't seem to hit any real form and for some reason we've gone back to getting absolutely tw*tted by the big boys again.

The FM20 mobile is too easy. I have literally won the premier every season with every club. Went to arsenal as a challenge after they got relegated and got them promoted and won the league and FA cup first season back in the premier. Bit of a killer formation/ tactics set up..

Just finished my 5th season with us, winning the CL for the first time. Had very lucky knockout draws in fairness, and won the Carabao Cup for the second season running. 

Still can't shift Liverpool who have won every PL season on the bounce. We had our best chance this season, playing them on match day 32 away, 3 points behind them but about 10 better GD. Went 0-2 up and thought this is finally it.. Game was trolling me and Liverpool scored 3 on the bounce. 

I've just finished playing the demo version of FM2020. To be honest I found it quite long-winded as a game. Would anyone recommend the Touch version? I loved playing the free version of CM 01/02 and thought the Touch version might be similar to that?

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy a Steam key from other than the official site? I've seen cheaper options but I'm a slightly dubious toward them.

23 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

I've just finished playing the demo version of FM2020. To be honest I found it quite long-winded as a game. Would anyone recommend the Touch version? I loved playing the free version of CM 01/02 and thought the Touch version might be similar to that?

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy a Steam key from other than the official site? I've seen cheaper options but I'm a slightly dubious toward them.

I use touch version as I find the full version too long winded. It's easier to pick up and play, but still in depth enough to enjoy. 

On 30/05/2020 at 14:09, Gary Eatfood said:

FMT has more than enough detail and depth for me, but you don't have to fanny around with team talks, press conferences and stuff.

Streamlined staff as well so you don't need to hire 50+ staff members.

The full game might be the definitive version of the game, but FMT is more practical imo

On 30/05/2020 at 04:35, MPH said:

The FM20 mobile is too easy. I have literally won the premier every season with every club. Went to arsenal as a challenge after they got relegated and got them promoted and won the league and FA cup first season back in the premier. Bit of a killer formation/ tactics set up..

Arsenal in the Championship isn't a challenge - strap a pair on and start a save as a low ranking Slovakian side.

• Haha 1

My game's become philosophically opposed to fullbacks.  I just had both my 1st team right backs injure themselves in the same game, then in the following fixture the same thing happened to both my left backs.  There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with their training, it's just really bad luck.  And of course it started happening the week after I sold off Justin who can play on both sides but was never getting used anymore because my fullbacks weren't getting injured frequently enough to need him. lol 

56 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Arsenal in the Championship isn't a challenge - strap a pair on and start a save as a low ranking Slovakian side.

i have just started a game with colchester in the 2nd. they’re in quite a mess. about 45 professionals  most of them useless and  10 k over their wage budget.

once this  is done i’ll try your suggestion!

• Like 1

replayed the first leg as it was a different team i got drawn against, didnt feel right scumming the reuslt , took a 1 gola lead into the second leg, which i lost 2-0 and got knocked out, was promptly sacked by the board for not making the playoffs ( i finished 5th but the 3rd placed team was a B side and couldnt take part, game bug) but it feels like a right kick in the nuts. tbh i was geting tired of the board, after a 13 game undefeated run then pulled me in for a meeting about a 2-2 draw and said we were performing badly. i have no money and less players, was doing pretty well overall. oh well, i got my first coaching badge from it, now on to somewhere else

looks like the inadvertant power cut borked my save file as im unable to add new lagues to my save. a serious hinderance to adding new contintents for the pentagon. another year of multiple game restarts. seriously close to ****ing it off but the only other options are fifa and pes, which i decided to quit because im not sweaty enough (i cant win) :nigel:

Heading into my fifth season in the Northern Irish leagues, my third in the top flight. Finally gone professional after I managed to get some Europa League cash (Celtic narrowly beat me in the UCL qualifiers two seasons in a row, went into a hideous Europa group but stayed largely competitive) - Larne, the Purple Bricks lot, have thrown some huge money around and are favourites for the league this time round but I know I'm the best side, and now I'm full time it should be even more of a breeze. Looking to build on each European campaign season on season, getting a win in the Europa groups would be huge and an improvement on last season. That's the real challenge now given domestically I've become dominant.

Off the pitch things are finally being done too, youth facilities and training facilities are being upgraded from a goal frame and net which should help me develop some of the young lads coming through the Roesiders' ranks.

My ressies won a tourney that my first side competed in (and won) in my first season in all, truly a sign that Limavady United are becoming a global brand. Beating Rangers in the final of the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup at Hampden was a highlight too - they played Jeff Schlupp ffs.

Still enjoying the save so far but already eyeing up my next one with either Porthmadog, Llanelli or Connors Quay down the pyramid in Wales, mainly because their trophies look the business and I like the challenge of overthrowing dominant sides, TNS never seem to lose. 

• Like 1

@Dan LCFC

There isn't scripting and definitely not for cards / suspensions. I very rarely even get strikers or wingers booked so I'd be interested to know what you're doing tactically. 

Full backs and defensive midfielders are usually my biggest problem, I always sub them off no later than 50ish minutes if they've been booked and I can. 2020 the "tackle harder" team instruction is basically suicide so if you're using that you might want to reconsider. 

Fixtures have always been a bit suspicious, there's a lot of confirmation bias in this so I'd be interested to see the stats but for years I've felt they're weighted towards giving the player more challenge. Given how easy the rest of the game is though, that's probably not a terrible thing even if true and it probably isn't. 

You're right about team talks though. The ones before a game and at half time are the worst because they can have such a genuinely profound impact which is absurd for a small handful of multiple choice, generic statements. I don't know what they should replace them with exactly but the whole system needs a rework. 

• Like 1