Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

37 minutes ago, MattP said:

What's the catch here?

Corbyn can't be making himself look this ridiculous for no reason at all, do the students go back to the safe Tory seats in between the dates? 

As far as opposition leaders go, he is beyond useless. A truly dreadful Tory government led by all the big dicks from the Electoral Fraud comitting Vote Leave, and he's not even tried to hold them to account. If/when we leave, he is as culpable as the tories.

• Like 1

Is anyone watching Dispatches on Channel 4?

An American politician was complaining about how Americans pay more for American medicines than Europeans do for the same American medicines.

The solution?

That europeans (us after Brexit) should pay more rather than Americans having to pay less. 

Ultra-capitalism right there and the shocking road we will go down when Brexit goes through on WTO terms. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Is anyone watching Dispatches on Channel 4?

An American politician was complaining about how Americans pay more for American medicines than Europeans do for the same American medicines.

The solution?

That europeans (us after Brexit) should pay more rather than Americans having to pay less. 

Ultra-capitalism right there and the shocking road we will go down when Brexit goes through on WTO terms. 

I do agree with your sentiment here, this mentality is unbelievable. I’m a solid Brexiteer even if I do get forgotten by @RoboFox. Maybe I’m not literate enough lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I do agree with your sentiment here, this mentality is unbelievable. I’m a solid Brexiteer even if I do get forgotten by @RoboFox. Maybe I’m not literate enough lol

Sorry, man. There’s probably a few more active in here, too. Was just off the top of my head. 

Point stands, though. The brexiters on the forum are obviously largely silent.

I don’t blame them either. I have to take myself over to the Bans Thread for a bit of a laugh every now and then.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Sorry, man. There’s probably a few more active in here, too. Was just off the top of my head. 

I don’t blame them either. I have to take myself over to the Bans Thread for a bit of a laugh every now and then.

Mate I’m just kidding, it’s more I got called out when I didn’t contribute so much. Then get forgotten when I return, I thought maybe I had changed my username by mistake lol

You know what I love the band thread, and I do think it’s a shame some get censored. I’m open to all debate, even abusive. You will do well to get me to cry off.

I have been following what the media across the channel think about this country and this wretched government in particular. Our future relationship with Europe does matter as collectively the EU is by far our largest trading partner.

Generally most of Europe and the French in particular are understandably extremely pissed off that the government is eager to use the latest postponement of Brexit as an opportunity for a General Election, instead of focusing on the detail of the separation from the EU. An uninterrupted focus on an orderly Brexit would be to the benefit of everyone on both sides of the channel who works in any kind of business which trades with the UK and the rest of the EU. An election in the next couple of months will help the government conceal some extremely serious issues likely to follow with Brexit, most recently the revelations by BBC Despatches that the government is secretly conducting negotiations with the Americans which will result in the NHS and hence the UK taxpayer paying much more for medicines imported from the USA. 

Corbyn has been as hopeless as Southampton's defence and the only good thing about a General Election would be that it would almost certainly lead to an undistinguished retirement for the most ineffective and inadequate Labour leader in history.

And an election would hopefully be the end for Vazeline as well.

Another Boris cartoon tomorrow, in all probability.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

i’m definitely a brexiter and you touched on an interesting point about the brexiters being silent....

The flipside of that coin of course is that just because a certain type of voter shouts louder, it doesn’t mean their vote carries any more weight. we saw that with the original brexit vote.

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

all those getting hung up on boris’ 31st deadline fail to realise that it was intended for both domestic brexiteer consumption and also to ‘frighten’ the EU into making some concessions ... it was all part of the charade. He nearly managed it too .......

anyway, going forward, and an FTA with the EU will require us to agree to some regulatory alignment on workers rights and environmental standards ..... if we agree to them now as part of the WAB then we have less negotiating wriggle room and would have to concede more on these matters or something else .... too many politicians and commentators seem to have no experience of playing poker - naive in the extreme ......

looking to a GE campaign is interesting - does boris commit to his WAB and risk the brexit party pulling votes away ????

i have a feeling that he would do better to try and woo those ‘democrats’ who feel the ref result must be honoured but obviously don’t want a hard brexit or no deal. 

Or maybe some observers (as opposed to politicians) do have some experience of playing poker but also feel that international relations and certain areas of politics don't have to be and shouldn't be a confrontational, competitive ego-driven sausage-size contest.

It's a throwback to the era where the caveman saw the other cavemen as a threat so wanted to whack them over the head with a club - more sophisticated these days, but equally asinine.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Or maybe some observers (as opposed to politicians) do have some experience of playing poker but also feel that international relations and certain areas of politics don't have to be and shouldn't be a confrontational, competitive ego-driven sausage-size contest.

It's a throwback to the era where the caveman saw the other cavemen as a threat so wanted to whack them over the head with a club - more sophisticated these days, but equally asinine.

Re the negs in Brussels ....... how do you know how those have been handled in private?

as far as the domestic stuff, I’m afraid that the behaviour of many politicians is poor and that includes those who patronise the electorate in the most extreme manner imaginable  ..... 

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

If you thought negotiations with the EU were going to be anything but this you can't have read about the previous negotiating they have done.

16 hours ago, MattP said:

This has become a very popular opinion recently and I really don't get it at all.

If David Miliband couldn't beat Ed Miliband among a left leaning electorate how was he going to win across the country? It doesn't make sense. 

Blairism is dead - he wasn't going to revive anymore than Liz Kendall was.

It's been an opinion since they ran against each other, and are you not confusing winning a vote of labour party members (the same people perfectly happy with good old Jez) and the general public. 

Cameron was "normal" enough to probably hold him at arms length, but he'd have battered May on the basis of not being a robot alone. 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

It's been an opinion since they ran against each other, and are you not confusing winning a vote of labour party members (the same people perfectly happy with good old Jez) and the general public. 

Cameron was "normal" enough to probably hold him at arms length, but he'd have battered May on the basis of not being a robot alone. 

The Labour membership only turned that far to the left after Ed Miliband offered up the three quid affiliate membership - before that people like Corbyn were exactly where they belong, on the backbenches or at protest marches.

Post EU referendum I don't envisage how any party can win landslides, you could have a combination of Attlee and Blair at their best leading Labour and very few leavers will vote for them with a policy of attempting to reverse the 2016 decision. 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Re the negs in Brussels ....... how do you know how those have been handled in private?

as far as the domestic stuff, I’m afraid that the behaviour of many politicians is poor and that includes those who patronise the electorate in the most extreme manner imaginable  ..... 

Of course it's possible that the negotiations in private are the very opposite of what has been reported in public, but I'm not sure how likely that is. Confrontational and antagonistic and ego driven is much more likely.

I totally agree that no political element in the UK is coming out of all this looking good.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

If you thought negotiations with the EU were going to be anything but this you can't have read about the previous negotiating they have done.

Not at all, this is pretty much what I expected.

That doesn't mean that I don't think the whole idea that the negotiations somehow *have* to be antagonistic - or even that there have to be negotiations in the first place - is the latest in a series of bollocks ego-based realpolitik encounters and that in terms of international politics humanity really needs to grow up, actually start disregarding the lizard brain and stop seeing "that guy over there" as a threat to be hit over the head with a club (metaphorically speaking).

But then, I've made my contempt for such might-makes-right thinking pretty clear before.

Edited by leicsmac

5 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Interesting...

lol

Ash Sarker on television now saying with momentum behind them a big Labour landslide is possible.

These people still don't seem to grasp they've actually lost every national election since 2016. They appear convinced they are winning them all.