Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Brendan Rodgers

17 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think the issue with having both Maddison and Perez wide is that there isn’t a lot of pace there - you need someone on the left to stretch the defence wide, and create space for Ayoze to ghost in at the back post or penalty spot. Perez might fare better with Barnes on the other side. 

I think the issue with having Maddison out wide is that he can’t play out wide. We lose twice, once because we’ve lost our very effective no.10, and once because our left sided player isn’t any good. And then a third time, because by drifting in, he eats a lot of the space that Tielemans likes to use... 

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Everywhere he goes, Rodgers always knows

Badger, his badger mate, is never far away

Rodgers and Badger, Rodgers and Badger

La la la la la, Badger's never far away

Everybody knows, Badger loves MASHED POTATO!

He makes it into shapes and eats it every day

La la la la la, la la la la la

Everywhere he goes, Rodgers always knows

Badger, his badger mate, is never far away

La la la la la, la la la la la

Rodgers and Badger are never far away!

Rodgers and Badger

Rodgers and Badger

Rodgers and Badger

Rodgers and Badger

Rodgers and Badger

Rodgers and Badger

🎵Everybody knows, 

Rodgers loves IHEANACHO!

Sits him on the bench next to him every game 🎵

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Hasn’t he sorted everything except the XI and the attacking formation?  Good work after just four matches.  And some competition / rotation is healthy. 

I do wish he’d settle on and perfect an Plan A for the attack.  Preferably not Maddison and Perez crowding-in-from-outside (which has a constipated, square-pegs vibe IMO).  Tanner referenced this issue in parts of an article on Perez:

In the first three games of the season, he used Perez and James Maddison as inverted wingers either side of Vardy. Before recruiting Perez, Rodgers made no secret of the fact he wanted to sign a versatile forward who could play wide but come inside and scheme as a No 10, or even lead the attack if Vardy was absent.

In the 3-1 win against Bournemouth on Saturday, Rodgers switched his attack. Instead of inside forwards, Rodgers started conventional wingers Harvey Barnes and Marc Albrighton, reverting to the 4-1-4-1 system he used in the tail end of last season, with Maddison dropping back into midfield alongside Tielemans, who had his best game of the season so far.

The formation freed up Vardy, who relished the extra space to operate across Bournemouth’s defence, which also provided a new lease of life for Tielemans. The Belgian thrived because Albrighton stayed wide, giving him space to attack. So far this season, Rodgers has encouraged Perez to drift inside from the flanks, operating in the same area Tielemans wants to drive into. Tielemans seemed confined as a result, but his goal and assist against Bournemouth was a return to the form of last season.

In a role so dependent on creating space for others, Rodgers believes it could take Perez considerable time to adjust to the way he wants his new signing to play. “It is not a combination,” Rodgers said of Perez and Vardy’s link-up. “Ayoze is playing wide but coming more inside, I suppose. If you are linking those two, then you have to link the left side as well, whether it is Harvey or Maddison.” *

This confirms that Perez is BR’s signing and gives the impression that MVP up front is the preferred approach, not  4-1-4-1 where he’s the odd man out.  Is Rodgers saying it hasn’t worked because Perez has yet to learn his role?  That’s OK; I don’t expect a perfectly oiled machine in August.  But I do want our guys to be able to play to their strengths.  So my main concern is tactics fitting the squad.

* https://theathletic.com/1176605/2019/09/02/perez-must-remain-patient-as-rodgers-gets-joy-after-shuffling-his-pack/

That's a good post to share.

Yes it could definitely take some time to learn Rodgers ideal game plan. Both Guardiola and Bielsa have said they practice specific attacking patterns over and over again, and they have as many as 40 different patters to use. Of course, ideally the players think for themselves and just run the routine and find the spaces for themselves, but muscle memory can make a big difference in helping teams become clinical. Looking at Arsenal play they also have a similar issue since signing Pepe. I expect them to also get it right, but it's not always done overnight.

Content with the way it is going so far, three defeats in 15 games is a good start, we generally look better at home and the club is positive at the moment. As has been said, he seems to have toned down and not gone for the brash statements, definitely a more mature manager now compared to when he started at Liverpool.

Of course it could all change soon but so far, so good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Content with the way it is going so far, three defeats in 15 games is a good start, we generally look better at home and the club is positive at the moment. As has been said, he seems to have toned down and not gone for the brash statements, definitely a more mature manager now compared to when he started at Liverpool.

Of course it could all change soon but so far, so good.

3 defeats in 15 won’t do this season. We’re winning the league again. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Certainly proved me wrong, I think in his short time here he's made progress. We were a very average team under the previous regime, we had some good players playing slow, boring, unattractive football. Players looked bored to hell and there didn't look like there was any discipline or desire. For me players were playing for the fans rather than the manager. Now there's a bit more belief, there's discipline and think a bit more professionalism. Rodgers will them have fun but at same time remind to concentrate. At the moment it's so far so good. No one can complain... other than we should have brought an extra striker in the window, that may come back to bite us at some point.  

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's a good post to share.

Yes it could definitely take some time to learn Rodgers ideal game plan. Both Guardiola and Bielsa have said they practice specific attacking patterns over and over again, and they have as many as 40 different patters to use. Of course, ideally the players think for themselves and just run the routine and find the spaces for themselves, but muscle memory can make a big difference in helping teams become clinical. Looking at Arsenal play they also have a similar issue since signing Pepe. I expect them to also get it right, but it's not always done overnight.

Already mentioned this ,at the beginning of the season,Plus under Puels tenure..

10 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

- Winning the ball high up the pitch to start an offensive counter attack is becoming common to our play.

For me, this part is key.

The Bournemouth game was our best performance because their players barely had any time to think before they were being pressed from all angles. Only Man City and Liverpool do that & look where they are. When we did eventually win the ball back, we went forwards straight away. Maddison in particular, was incredible off the ball. He was aggressive, tenacious and fought for everything. Even challenged Billing in the air a few times. We need to keep that tempo up if we want to finish in the top 6.

I don’t think its a coincidence that our best performance has come playing in a 4-3-3. Hopefully Brendan sticks to this formation, however I think he’s going to constantly have two questions:

1) Who do we play in midfield alongside Youri & Ndidi?

It must be tempting for him to play Hamza against United but will we become too defensive? Or if we play Maddison in the middle will he be able to replicate his defensive performance against Bournemouth? Isn’t Praet supposed to be an all-round box to box player, so on paper shouldn’t he be a good fit for the tougher fixtures? The good thing is we have options and plenty of them!

2) Who to play on the wings?

For me, none of our wingers are guaranteed a place in the first XI. Looking back to pre-season our best combination was Perez at RW and Albrighton at LW. We are yet to see them on the pitch together so maybe that’s worth a try? However Barnes needs game time if he’s going to progress. Bit of a dilemma for Brendan but he will get it right. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

Im very happy with Rodgers, he's perfect for our squad and the players we've got, need to continue to see his progress. 

What i would say though, is Claude puel needs to take alot of credit for laying good foundations. 3 of our back 4 are puel signings as is Maddison and technically he got tielemans. 

He also made chilwell better as well as bring through choudhury and Barnes  into the first team. Puel just simply struggled with the language side and maybe just didn't know how to get the best out of the team collectively but defo takes a little credit for where we've moved on to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shane said:

The Bournemouth game was our best performance because their players barely had any time to think before they were being pressed from all angles. Only Man City and Liverpool do that & look where they are. When we did eventually win the ball back, we went forwards straight away. Maddison in particular, was incredible off the ball. He was aggressive, tenacious and fought for everything. Even challenged Billing in the air a few times. We need to keep that tempo up if we want to finish in the top 6.

I don’t think its a coincidence that our best performance has come playing in a 4-3-3. Hopefully Brendan sticks to this formation, however I think he’s going to constantly have two questions:

It must be tempting for him to play Hamza against United but will we become too defensive? Or if we play Maddison in the middle will he be able to replicate his defensive performance against Bournemouth? Isn’t Praet supposed to be an all-round box to box player, so on paper shouldn’t he be a good fit for the tougher fixtures? The good thing is we have options and plenty of them!

For me, none of our wingers are guaranteed a place in the first XI. Looking back to pre-season our best combination was Perez at RW and Albrighton at LW. We are yet to see them on the pitch together so maybe that’s worth a try? However Barnes needs game time if he’s going to progress. Bit of a dilemma for Brendan but he will get it right. 

Good post with interesting questions!

Rodgers has proved to be a good tactician already in his time here and he’ll pick a team to do a certain job. I agree that the style we used against Bournemouth makes us look the best but some of his setups make logical sense and see us unbeaten. 

Man Utd are a counter attacking team under Solskjaer. That’s why they play Rashford, Martial and James. For that reason I think he’ll use the same tactics against Chelsea if not the same personnel. Look at Chelsea vs Man U - they outplayed them for long periods and lost 4-0!

Versus Spurs I reckon he’ll use the 4141.  Puel also used that system at Wembley last year and although we lost we probably deserved to win! We outplayed them throughout and had countless chances and a missed penalty. 

We will find out what Rodgers does soon!

I think he's doing an excellent job so far of creating a culture about the club that is about winning and ambition. I agree with those who say that he's toned it down a bit from his Liverpool days regarding some of his quotes. He's said nothing particularly outlandish here to my memory.

I do think we are still probably a player or two short but he's creating a real vibrancy about this side - it was stated many a time when he got the job that he was a satisfyingly good fit for this group of players and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. He's always had something about him as a manager no matter how many people try and slate him - you don't take that squad to close to a title without something a bit special about you. I know everyone's narrative is that Suarez carried them but it wasn't until Rodgers had him that he showed anything like that kind of form. It's precisely that kind of thing that excites me about Rodgers - I think a lot of these players have a very high ceiling and he's got it in him to bring that out of them - for example Maddison's having a bigger impact on games now, he's more aggressive, he'd never ever have played that part in our third at the weekend a year ago. Vardy I feel is a genuine golden boot contender under him.

What I like about him is that he's got seemingly everyone, old and young on side - Puel wanted to phase out the old and bring through the young, which I totally got, but he didn't seem to be capable of doing this and making it work, whilst Rodgers I think can.

Rodgers has got this aura about him that makes me think he could become a legend here. What may stop this is a bigger club poaching him. Who knows though - always found him an interesting coach and I'm intrigued to see what he can actually do with this club.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shane said:

The Bournemouth game was our best performance because their players barely had any time to think before they were being pressed from all angles. Only Man City and Liverpool do that & look where they are. 

This is exactly what we should be doing. Remember we won the title because of this very reason. Kante is the best in the world at this.

I still hope there is a lot from us to come, we just don't quite seem to be 100% clicking at present. If everything falls into place in could be amazing as we are already good, against Bournemouth I couldn't help thinking we were mostly in 3rd gear. 

Generally to watch we are a lot better, although sometimes we can still be guilty of poor final balls and not getting the ball forward into danger areas quickly enough, hopefully that will come. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1

Definitely feels like we have higher gears to get into

24 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I still hope there is a lot from us to come, we just don't quite seem to be 100% clicking at present. If everything falls into place in could be amazing as we are already good, against Bournemouth I couldn't help thinking we were mostly in 3rd gear. 

Generally to watch we are a lot better, although sometimes we can still be guilty of poor final balls and not getting the ball forward into danger areas quickly enough, hopefully that will come. 

I think he is doing a great job but I have to say it, the way some of the Rodgers groupies on this forum idolise him like starstruck kids at a Westlife concert is a little nauseating.  I've never known it before with a Leicester manager.

Brendan this... Brendan that... if Brendan thinks... Brendan...Brendan...Brendan...

And all this first name terms business is really irritating.  Brendan, Brenda or Brodgers.  Stop it!

Anyway, none of this is criticism of the guy himself, just that the love in is starting to give me diabetes.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think he is doing a great job but I have to say it, the way some of the Rodgers groupies on this forum idolise him like starstruck kids at a Westlife concert is a little nauseating.  I've never known it before with a Leicester manager.

Brendan this... Brendan that... if Brendan thinks... Brendan...Brendan...Brendan...

And all this first name terms business is really irritating.  Brendan, Brenda or Brodgers.  Stop it!

Anyway, none of this is criticism of the guy himself, just that the love in is starting to give me diabetes.

Boo Hoo. Time for I scream, you scream, we all scream for Ice Cream. Its entertainment get it?:giggle:

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

Nope.  Definitely don't get that.  :dunno:

Perhaps that was one for the unpopular opinions thread.

That's OK we'll just have to have a mutual misunderstanding.:D

On 05/09/2019 at 20:41, Shane said:

...I thought we played a 4-1-4-1 formation!!!

We do not look comfortable in a 4-3-3 and I do think, that Rodgers feel safe doing so, especially at a top 4 club. We look better when we open up and allow the players to play the roles they excel at!!!

• Like 1

Think it’s pretty clear we need to stop playing with 2 DM’s. 3 times it’s been tried this season & it’s not worked. This system has arguably cost us 7 points.

Spurs will be the biggest challenge of the season so far, but I don’t want to see us playing 2 DM’s. Get Maddison and Tielemans back in the middle together and play to our strengths! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shane said:

Think it’s pretty clear we need to stop playing with 2 DM’s. 3 times it’s been tried this season & it’s not worked. This system has arguably cost us 7 points.

Spurs will be the biggest challenge of the season so far, but I don’t want to see us playing 2 DM’s. Get Maddison and Tielemans back in the middle together and play to our strengths! 

It’s so annoying, big chance to make a statement and yet again we give the big teams to much respect