Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Brendan Rodgers

24 minutes ago, Shane said:

Think it’s pretty clear we need to stop playing with 2 DM’s. 3 times it’s been tried this season & it’s not worked. This system has arguably cost us 7 points.

Spurs will be the biggest challenge of the season so far, but I don’t want to see us playing 2 DM’s. Get Maddison and Tielemans back in the middle together and play to our strengths! 

Agreed.

I understand on paper why we've done it. When playing the bigger clubs with a young side don't go hell for leather and put yourself in a position where the game is over before it has begun. See Arsene Wenger's Arsenal against Liverpool in his latter years when he was too stubborn to change his style of play. But the thing is that is respectable against Liverpool, Man City and maybe Spurs, but the other teams are not that good. Especially not this season of all seasons when Man U and Chelsea are the weakest htey have been for years.

Playing just one DM with Soyuncu does leave us more vulnerable than with two, but it also makes way more aggressive and takes the team further up the pitch. It means we can impose our style on the game rather than the other way around. That is what is really disapointing about today, we had the ball and some good spells but if we had gone from it from the start we would have had them on the back foot throughout the game. He needs to trust Tielemans and Maddison to run the game next to one another, as they started to do once they were playing with Ndidi as the midfield 3. 

Anyway I am not going to be too critical of Rodgers. A 1-0 loss at Old Trafford is hardly the end of the world, but I feel like this game was an acid test to see what we could really do this season, and the fact is we've fluffed our lines.

Also Demarai Gray needs to go into the bin. He's our 4th best player at best in that position and was dire throughout. I can see tactically why Rodgers went with him, but that was a big mistake and he should have hauled him at 45 minutes not 60.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Rodgers needed to invest in a winger and a striker.

We failed to do this.

This is why we fail in the final 3rd so much.

We should play 2 strikers rather than 2 CDMs.

This negative approach will guarantee is 12th at the end of the season

Rodgers isn't in charge of recruitment. 

So he didn't fail to bring them in, our recruitment did.

That isn't why we fail in the final third. We struggle to break a team up, a winger may have helped but no necessity that it would've.

We shouldn't play 2 cdms, and utilise Maddison and Youri in the middle and the pace of Barnes, Albrighton and Perez. 

Basically you've spouted a load of rubbish 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

To the media he will save face and say all the right things about being a tough place to go to etc etc 

But the reality is he will know he has got it completely wrong today, if not that's the biggest worry.

What people say to the media is completely different to what they probably think.

There will be enough people behind the scenes to identify what we did and didn't do well.

Although he is obviously a good manager, we were playing brilliantly with 4141 and I don't know why he felt the need to switch players around. I get this is weird to say as we were unbeaten until now but still, it is clear that a few of the players are not hitting their usual levels in this setup. 

If he wont fix this, I hope that he at least will address our slow starts. I remember when the games kicked off and we scared the shit out of teams with our early pressing. 

The sides no better than last year so not sure why anyone is expecting us to all of a sudden become a top 6 side. 30 million quid on Perez who is no better than anything we already had and 20 million on a midfielder who cant get in the side. Bizarre team selection today though and if we keep setting up like that we will have plenty of frustrating afternoons like today. 

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if he wasn't disappointed with the summer transfers. It seems we're still the same side from last season with a slightly stronger bench now. 

Perez hasn't added anything, but never thought he was the player we needed. Praet hasn't added anything and just gives us another reason to play too many central midfielders, worryingly I think this one Rodgers was most keen on though. Justin hasn't played a minute yet. Tielemans we needed just to keep at the same level but he hasn't hit the levels he set last season.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Knee jerk central over here hahahahaha

I agree but I'd also say that sometimes I think he tries to be a bit too clever - the selections of Mendy and Gray were weird choices. I'd also say that his insistence on starting Madders out wide is infuriating. I like him a lot but he's not immune from a bit of stick.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Your a moderator?

I may disagree with the views but as long as it isn't insulting or personal, people have the right to complain. There is a lot of annoyance today, on a level with some of the reaction to the defeats of last season against Southampton, Cardiff so he hasn't got much leeway.