Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Brendan Rodgers

43 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

He does have a real tendency to overcomplicate things it seems. 3 opportunities missed so far this season with the Wolves, Chelsea and United games. We have extremely talented players so let them play!!

Exactly. Can you imagine the meltdown on here had Puel put that team out against a below par United with key players missing?  If you have any ambitions of trying to get top six, you've got to try and play like a top 6 side i.e. set your team up to try and win, not just try not to lose and hope you nick a goal in the second half. We have some great young talent that are not being trusted to express themselves or be played in their best positions. This wasn't Man City or Liverpool we were playing against, they're vulnerable to players running at them and got beaten by Palace at home!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

I agree with that. I've noticed Football365, who have spent the past week building us up, say we are now "back in our box". The box they took us out of to parade how shiny and exciting we are.

..and along with all the media hype all that did was to motivate Man U.

I'm not surprised by this performance and ultimate outcome. I'm a fan of BR but again he's doing things which are baffling. 

Gray starting was absurd tbh. I don't think he doesn't try but he's not good enough. And he's not even been starting games so throwing him in today wasn't fair on him either. 

Stop sticking Maddison outwide. If he wants to play two CDMs then take out Madd or Tielmans. Can't stick square pegs in round holes. Should have looked to take the game to them....start one of Hamza or Wilf.

Last match Vs Bournemouth it was our best performance. Albrighton was good and we played with a bit more width. So why not stick with that side?!

Honestly feel that Brendan cost us the game today. It was a big chance to show what we're about against a big club

• Like 1

I'm quite shocked by all this sudden anti-Rodgers beef on here after today's defeat - our first, lest it be forgotten, since we last went to Manchester and got beaten by that Kompany screamer at City (that's 13 games including friendlies!).

I imagine he started Gray because he was so good when he came on v Bournemouth - and maybe because he  scored that pearler at United a couple of years ago. But I doubt he'll do so again.

I also believe he must now be convinced that playing Maddison out wide is a sinful waste of his talent - no matter who the opposition is and irrespective of his penchant for deploying two defensive midfielders.

A defeat always bring criticism and Rodgers had a poor day today - he gave a bang average opponent far too much respect - but let's give the man some slack and see whether he learns from his mistakes. I firmly believe that, unlike his predecessor, he will.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hammo said:

I'm quite shocked by all this sudden anti-Rodgers beef on here after today's defeat - our first, lest it be forgotten, since we last went to Manchester and got beaten by that Kompany screamer at City (that's 13 games including friendlies!).

I imagine he started Gray because he was so good when he came on v Bournemouth - and maybe because he  scored that pearler at United a couple of years ago. But I doubt he'll do so again.

I also believe he must now be convinced that playing Maddison out wide is a sinful waste of his talent - no matter who the opposition is and irrespective of his penchant for deploying two defensive midfielders.

A defeat always bring criticism and Rodgers had a poor day today - he gave a bang average opponent far too much respect - but let's give the man some slack and see whether he learns from his mistakes. I firmly believe that, unlike his predecessor, he will.

People are frustrated with him BECAUSE he isn't learning from his mistakes. We had a wonderful opportunity today to impose our game on a poor United side at Old Trafford, but instead he reverted to the side that was so limp against Wolves and large chunks of Chelsea and Sheffield United.

Rodgers handed United the initiative today and deserves the criticism he's getting.

• Like 3

Just now, Jonaldinho said:

People are frustrated with him BECAUSE he isn't learning from his mistakes. We had a wonderful opportunity today to impose our game on a poor United side at Old Trafford, but instead he reverted to the side that was so limp against Wolves and large chunks of Chelsea and Sheffield United.

Rodgers handed United the initiative today and deserves the criticism he's getting.

Fair enough - I get what you're saying - but we were all singing his praises after the Bournemouth game. If he gets us playing to our strengths and we beat Spurs he'll be a hero again.

I know its not everyone’s favourite metric but the xG stats do not make good reading.

Of the teams to have played 5 games so far we have the 4th lowest xG only ahead of Burnley, Palace and Newcastle, 3 teams that I think most would agree are among the most boring in the league. We’ve had an xG of below 1 in 4 of the 5 games so far.

If xG isn’t your bag, only Sheffield United have had fewer shots on target so far.

There are mitigating factors. We’ve played 3 of last year’s top 7. 3 of our 5 games have been away. 

But it’s hard to escape the feeling that Rodgers has set us up way too conservatively (we have the 4th lowest xG against) even considering the “quality” of the opposition. We’ve lined up defensively against a Wolves side which had just travelled back from Eastern Europe, and Chelsea and United sides that are a shadow of their former selves and clearly there for the taking. We’re the only side not to have scored against Wolves and the only side not to have scored at least 2 against Chelsea.

In all 3 of those games - Wolves, Chelsea and Manchester United - we completely surrendered the initiative and only against Chelsea did we ever properly manage to get hold of the game. If we have aspirations of finishing in the top 6 then we have to do better than getting 2 points from 3 games against our rivals.

I’ve no doubt Rodgers is a great manager who will eventually take us forward but I think he’s had a poor start to the season and as I see it is trying to be too clever for his own good. As much as people like to proclaim otherwise, we’re not good to watch most of the time. We simply don’t create chances and a big part of that is the conservatism of the team selection.

People will point to the league position and say I’m asking for too much but I really think we’ll look back on this at the end of the season and think that we’ve thrown away unnecessary points by giving too much respect to our opponents at a time when they’re in turmoil. We should be stable and well-primed to take

advantage with a manager who’s been in post six months, little staff turnover in the summer and a decent enough playing squad. Instead we keep surrendering the initiative to sides in comparative chaos. 

14 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This place over reacts about everything. Wouldn't read too much into it. 

The media is blowing smoke up our arses making us believe the hype, when we should know better.

Media hype or not, we should be competing for the top 6 given the state of Chelsea, Manchester United and, seemingly, Wolves. I’m not sure we’ve looked like a top 6 side against any of those teams apart from perhaps 45 minutes against an exhausted Chelsea side. In fact I’m not sure we’ve even looked like a top half side in those games.

Edited by ttfn

It's a tough one....do you go all guns blazing and try and take them on, risking getting counter attacked, (like Chelsea succumbed too) or do you keep it tight and try and build a platform, get their fans frustrated and try and pinch one ourselves on the counter?  The gam-plan unfortunately went south after a naïve foul from a player still learning his trade.  Had it not been for that, it would have been a totally different game.  

Edited by pazzerfox

5 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

It's a tough one....do you go all guns blazing and try and take them on, risking getting counter attacked, (like Chelsea succumbed too) or do you keep it tight and try and build a platform, get their fans frustrated and try and pinch one ourselves on the counter?  The gam-plan unfortunately went south after a naïve foul from a player still learning his trade.  Had it not been for that, it would have been a totally different game.  

Agree. Not sure about throwing Soyuncu under the bus though.

Are we allowed to say negative things about lovely Brendan? Had a thread cancelled tonight. It was slightly sarcastic but some truth behind it.

2 average holding midfielders played together on a regular basis.

Generally plays with no wingers. ( Did today and selected Gray ahead of Allbrighton and Barnes)

No positive forward signings.  

But says all the right things to the press, just what we / they want to hear.

They are facts. I like Rogers and think overall he has done ok bit we shouldn't hold back when criticism is due. Let's hope he learns quickly and gets the best out of this talented squad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, m4DD0gg said:

His new two transfers both look rotten as well (Youri dont count but hes being negated).

Top work Lee.

I'm not sure Congerton could have had much to do with Perez, but I take your point. Perez and Praet look like they were signed with today's formation in mind, and I'd be very surprised if Rodgers could credibly employ that system for much longer. Doesn't mean they're rubbish, of course.

And it's alarming how poor the Rodgers' career-long recruitment record is. He'll most probably have to make the best of the current squad if this is going to work. Either that or our academy, which hasn't added any new players to the squad since Shakey, had better start producing.

1 minute ago, pazzerfox said:

I like Soyuncu, but it was still a bit of a naïve tackle from a relatively inexperienced player don't you think?  I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for his lack of experience.

He's going to make some mistakes sooner or later. Maguire did, and does, too.

Man U were ever likely to score at some point today. Our miserable lack of creativity was the greater problem.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Julian's Crown Jewels said:

Are we allowed to say negative things about lovely Brendan? Had a thread cancelled tonight. It was slightly sarcastic but some truth behind it.

2 average holding midfielders played together on a regular basis.

Generally plays with no wingers. ( Did today and selected Gray ahead of Allbrighton and Barnes)

No positive forward signings.  

But says all the right things to the press, just what we / they want to hear.

They are facts. I like Rogers and think overall he has done ok bit we shouldn't hold back when criticism is due. Let's hope he learns quickly and gets the best out of this talented squad.

Maybe it was cancelled because there was already a thread for slightly sarcastic, negative comments about him. Fortunately, you managed to find it, although if the sarcasm was along the lines of calling Ndidi 'average', maybe not.