Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Brendan Rodgers

I admit, I thought if we went to OT today and did not play it safe we would win 2-1 or even better. After watching today's game I really don't understand why Rodgers set the team up the way he did. I thought he may play it a little conservative but not to bring on a winger after 66 minutes when all else was not working, well incredible. Sorry but are playing the same way week after week. Pass it around the back then give it to Ricky P to bomb the wing. So predictable. Also the final pass around the box is atrocious. We think we are Man City. We never ever pass it off quick enough and if we do there is way too much pace on the ball and goes out for a goal kick. 

In terms of formation, most of us seem to agree that we look better with Maddison and Youri central, ahead of N'didi with wingers.  The bad news is that we didn't sign a winger in the summer, but a right-sided inside forward, which seems to show that Rodgers favours the formation that we saw today which in turn is the best way of neutralising Maddison and Tielemans.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

We went to 'the theatre of dreams' in a negative dream, showing far too much respect for by far the worst Man Utd team ever in the P/L.

Not only are Man Utd a poor team with no world class players, they are lacking confidence, have an out of his depth manager, and a stack of injuries.

And we had just TWO shots on target against this poor Man Utd team. I felt so sorry for Vardy. No supply and the one time he beat their defender and put in a dangerous cross there was not one LCFC player busting a gut to get in the box. 

Instead, we should have gone there with a highly positive winning attitude, stamping our authority on the game, but the team set up is so unbalanced and far too many players look confused as to what their roles actually are we gifted them the match.

Maddison starting on the wing? Ndidi and Choudhury? Gray starting, after one short cameo in an already won match v Bournemouth? Barnes & Albrighton on the bench when both looked in form? 

Far too many off their game yesterday too. Ricardo, Chilwell, Tielemans, Perez, Gray were all very poor.

As others have said, if Puel had sent out this team and put in this type of performance he'd have a 5% rating on here today. 

• Like 1

When do we expect to see Rodgers put out a team that's capable of dominating a game? I certainly don't see it against Spurs. 

Such a shame that we play against all of our strengths. 

When I look at our current position, it's hard to complain too much but I do fear if we continue to play such tactics through out the season. 

I don't see where our goals come from? Vardy is isolated. 

I'd be going crazy throwing the book if we still had Puel in charge yesterday.

Whilst we're are (slightly) improved under Rodgers it's not a huge improvement, ultimately we're set up far too negative and passing sideways and backwards far too much.

For that Rodgers must be held accountable, the difference is, I think, I hope Rodgers will do something about it, eventually.

Unfortunately I think football has got to change in general though, this obessesion of most teams wanting to be a passive/possession team, trying to be Man City, when are people gonna understand all it does is invite pressure onto yourself whilst very rarely going forward.

• Like 3

When Rodgers plays Maddison & Tielemans in the middle we look great, when he sticks Maddison out on the left to accommodate Choudhury & Ndidi we struggle, not rocket science is it, but the outcome will be is that Maddison will want out of our club at the first opportunity. But his worst decision since arriving at The KP is to give Gray another chance against a poor (on paper) Man Utd side.

23 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

When Rodgers plays Maddison & Tielemans in the middle we look great, when he sticks Maddison out on the left to accommodate Choudhury & Ndidi we struggle, not rocket science is it, but the outcome will be is that Maddison will want out of our club at the first opportunity. But his worst decision since arriving at The KP is to give Gray another chance against a poor (on paper) Man Utd side.

Don't worry! BR has a plan......

Iheanacho's back next week!

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, inckley fox said:

He's going to make some mistakes sooner or later. Maguire did, and does, too.

Man U were ever likely to score at some point today. Our miserable lack of creativity was the greater problem.

No they weren't "ever likely to score".

If we hadn't conceded that stupid penalty we would have almost certainly got at least a draw out of the game and they'd have got increasingly frustrated and the fans would have probably started to turn. 

It was ludicrous what Soyuncu did and if I was his teammate I'd be (probably secretly) blaming him for us losing the game. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Collymore said:

If we hadn't conceded that stupid penalty we would have almost certainly got at least a draw out of the game and they'd have got increasingly frustrated and the fans would have probably started to turn. 

It was ludicrous what Soyuncu did and if I was his teammate I'd be (probably secretly) blaming him for us losing the game. 

Unfortunately Söyüncü only brushed the guy who dived as soon as he made contact. It is disturbing to hear players, media talk about winning a penalty as opposed to a penalty being awarded. As Kane said as soon has he feels contact he goes down, surely this is basically downright cheating intentionally making contact to WIN a penalty

5 hours ago, Collymore said:

I know we've read a lot in the papers about United being toothless and it's been circulated on here that they didn't threaten us apart from the goal, but I don't think we can take for granted that they're a hard side to keep out, or go telling ourselves that they barely deserved a goal. They did hit the woodwork, then there was the Pereira effort, and they looked terrifying for the first 15 or 20 minutes. They don't tend to go too many home games without scoring. Even in their weakened state they're a strong side and will be horribly difficult to keep out for 90 minutes. 

With that in mind, you have to be prepared to come back from a deficit against top sides like United. The game was tight and they didn't push too hard for a second, but I'm not going to buy into the myth that we had the measure of them. I don't think we required them to hit top gear.

So I wasn't surprised to see them score, and on balance think they earned their goal over the course of the match. Most goals involve an error somewhere along the line and in this case it was Soyuncu (and yes, I agree, the error was a bad one). But I don't think you can lose a game like that 1-0 and go thinking that the error which led to an 8th minute goal was primarily to blame for the defeat. You have to suppose that you're going to need a goal at some point in proceedings.

Ultimately it was our lack of a cutting edge which was the single greatest reason for our loss. Much like the last few times we've played this formation our best attacking players found themselves marginalised and, when on the ball, short of options. The delivery was very poor. A few players let themselves down - Gray, Chilwell, Pereira etc. So if the players feel inclined to blame our defence for yesterday then that would be a case of failing to face up to our lack of creativity when playing this system. And that mentality would also encourage players' heads to drop the next time we face a top six side and, surprise surprise, concede a goal against some of the more accomplished attackers in the division.

That doesn't excuse the error, of course!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, adejo92 said:

When do we expect to see Rodgers put out a team that's capable of dominating a game? I certainly don't see it against Spurs. 

Such a shame that we play against all of our strengths. 

When I look at our current position, it's hard to complain too much but I do fear if we continue to play such tactics through out the season. 

I don't see where our goals come from? Vardy is isolated. 

There's controlling a game and there's dominating a game. We have the majority of possession most games. If you really expect us to dominate sides like Man Utd away in the way you seem to indicate then that's fantasy given the short time Rodgers has been with us. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

I'm as disappointed as anyone with the performance and result yesterday and think Brodge should be setting us up differently, but we must remember it's still early days in his tenure and knee jerk reactions aren't helpful.

Remember how long it took Klopp to turn Liverpool around - now look at them.

I don’t think there are knee jerk responses, even some united fans I know are shocked we didn’t go for them. It was a pretty feeble attempt at beating a very, very below par United. I think a lot of people are a bit shocked Rodgers didn’t see this, and if he did and Gray was his answer, some fans are probably asking what he drank the night before. It’s disappointing more than anything, after taking Bournemouth apart last week, we tip toed our way around an easier task......

On 14/09/2019 at 22:43, pazzerfox said:

I like Soyuncu, but it was still a bit of a naïve tackle from a relatively inexperienced player don't you think?  I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for his lack of experience.

And Wes’s 2 red cards last season also due to inexperience? Harry gave away a penalty against Kosova last week!! People need to just climb down and give this guy a break ffs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

And Wes’s 2 red cards last season also due to inexperience? Harry gave away a penalty against Kosova last week!! People need to just climb down and give this guy a break ffs.

Wes is 35, so his red cards are probably to do with him losing a yard of pace.  It's not a question of giving him a break and sweeping things under the carpet.  How can someone improve if their flaws are not pointed out?  Like I said, I like Soyuncu, but he can be rash at times.

Edited by pazzerfox

Don’t get where the Leicester from back end of last season has gone... free flowing, movement, quick in possession and transitions. It seems to progressively becoming the complete opposite (puel like unfortunately). 

The second half at Chelsea is the closest I’ve seen to what was expected coming into

this season, 45 minutes... disappointed to say the least but it isn’t by any means time for hashtag another manager out 😂

There was several faults yesterday but the International break didn't help us, We lost momentum.

It's also apparent that slow starts which was a problem under Puel was also evident again yesterday. 

This is generally down to player attitude and something BR needs to fix and quickly as it's been evident in most games this season.

Utd to their credit were all over us right from the off. When that happens you need to close ranks sit in and take the sting out of them.

We didn't do that. They were never going to keep that amount of effort up for too long.

They swarmed around us in possession, yet we continued to try and play through them. We needed to move the Ball long constantly switching to were the space was. It wasn't luck that Kaspers long Ball nearly brought a Goal. He spotted the space and attacked it with his clearance. Credit to Kasper.

Rogers has questions to answer, How he perceived Gray would do more that Albrighton, Barnes or Perez . That's just is never going to happen.  

Our tactics were flawed from the off, And the use of Hamza deep gave them the impetus in midfield when we needed him doing what he does best, breaking up play further forward.

I accept we're a player or two short from our best team, But Rogers along with Rudkin has to accept responsibility for that. We should have brought in a proper striker and  After 4 years we should have sold Gray and brought in James. Who cost Utd little money  and looks a real prospect. 

Now we must wait until next Summer as anyone worth their weight will cost too much in January. With the exception of Tielemans who hasn't performed yet this season, The Summer Window has been a disaster. If were ever going to compete at the top we need to bring in the quality to complete the squad. Otherwise were going to continue to lose our best players each year.

• Like 1