Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Brendan Rodgers

26 minutes ago, Guest said:

Could it just be that we aren't actually that good? We're still a team with a lot of young, inconsistent players and a handful of very average ones. In reality, I don't think we're far removed at all from the dross you talk about. In the second half at Utd we went to the setup basically everyone agrees is our best and didn't have a shot on target. Maybe this is an overly negative assessment but so far this season we've looked intensely average and I just can't see that we're a change of formation and mindset away from strolling into the top six.

I think largely this. People talk about this league being full of crap or average teams but they are in reality still good quality Premier League sides and we aren't particularly better than any of them. People are also totally underestimating the importance of 'new manager bounce' which had a bigger influence on our good form at the tail end of last season than Rodgers being some sort of managerial genius. With the bounce now gone we are just returning to the inconsistent averageness which we've largely been witnessing since the title win. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Guest said:

Could it just be that we aren't actually that good? We're still a team with a lot of young, inconsistent players and a handful of very average ones. In reality, I don't think we're far removed at all from the dross you talk about. In the second half at Utd we went to the setup basically everyone agrees is our best and didn't have a shot on target. Maybe this is an overly negative assessment but so far this season we've looked intensely average and I just can't see that we're a change of formation and mindset away from strolling into the top six.

Why then when we play 4-1-4-1 are we disposing teams with ease? I get we are inconsistent and still a work in progress but we have a system that plays to our strengths and yet he is eager to move away from it.

• Like 2

Just now, Pliskin said:

We brushed a decent Bournemouth side to one side playing to our strengths.This does not suggest we are an average side. Rodgers juts needs to trust the guys to function without having two CDM's. Most of the games we've been shaky in, we've played this narrow diamond. 

Bournemouth had the singularly bad judgement to come away to Leicester and play really open with a high defensive line. Suicide whilst we still have Vardy and the reason so few teams do it. That more than our formation was why we brushed them aside. I fancy we'd have still beaten them even playing with 2 DMS.

...he has had 12 games to avoid this situation!!!

To start the season unsure of his best team and a formation that gets the best out of them, smacks of a waste of time and a great deal of money invested. This safety first aspect which so contradicts his stated reason for coming here with the opportunity to take a young and exciting team and push them to be the best they can be. We are now inconsistent, some players  appearing to be uncertain of what is required of them.

Has he got the nerve, to take the tough calls, that needs to made, in respect of personnel and putting round pegs in round holes?

• Like 2

Got it wrong, bad day, it happens, move on but i expect him to learn from the mistake. A win against Spurs and all is forgotten 

We have a seriously good manager and coaching set up, with a seriously good squad. It'll come good

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

We brushed a decent Bournemouth side to one side playing to our strengths.This does not suggest we are an average side. Rodgers juts needs to trust the guys to function without having two CDM's. Most of the games we've been shaky in, we've played this narrow diamond. 

We also brushed past Arsenal with the 4-3-3 last season.

As it happens. We're a just a bloody young (but honestly, supremely talented) squad who will run into situations where they don't know what the **** to do. Such as going to Old Trafford, having the referee against you and having Scott McTominay kick lumps out of our only creative players.

People looking to the Bournemouth game as an example of how we should play, do you honestly think Man United would have defended as poorly as Bourmeouth with such a high line? Maguire and Lindelof aren't quick forwards and they were always going to starve us of space in behind them. They set up virtually on their 18 yard line. Other than Albrighton (who should definitely have played), we don't own an out and out winger that likes to get the ball infront of defenders. Barnes and Gray love it in behind, as does Vardy

1 hour ago, Guest said:

I do think a couple of them aren't as good as we think. Notably Chilwell who I think's gone a little backwards since this time a year ago. The Fuchs pair of games was a bit of an eye opener.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Since Arsenal at home last season he has deployed Maddison as a left winger and two DCM's against all of the supposed big 6 clubs as well as vs Wolves at home and Sheff Utd away, I've seen precious little learning quickly from him. He is stubborn beyond belief so far.

It was only when he brought Barnes on vs Arsenal at half time did we tear them apart and look at the performances vs Man City, Chelsea at home, Wolves at home, Chelsea away and Man Utd and out of all of that only the 2nd half vs Chelsea away have we shown any sort of attacking prowess. In all of those games Vardy has been a complete passenger by and large as well, a player who in the past has had an outrageous record vs the top clubs. I'm perturbed to say the least.

Sorry that's bollocks.

We were all over them from the 1st minute. That entire game was one way traffic. Their keeper kept them in it in the first half.

25 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I do think a couple of them aren't as good as we think. Notably Chilwell who I think's gone a little backwards since this time a year ago. The Fuchs pair of games was a bit of an eye opener.

I agree with this.

I'm really against the phantom bench syndrome, by where the players on the bench are considered the saviours over the ones in the starting 11, but Chilwell's performances have been leaky to say the least

Fuchs has looked far more commanding, disciplined and creative so far this season. 

However, Chilwell on the bench seems wrong, it's a classic countdown conundrum. 

33 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

People looking to the Bournemouth game as an example of how we should play, do you honestly think Man United would have defended as poorly as Bourmeouth with such a high line? Maguire and Lindelof aren't quick forwards and they were always going to starve us of space force in behind them. They set up virtually on their 18 yard line. 

I agree that it's hard to compare to Bournemouth as you're right that both teams set up very differently. However, we all knew United would sit deep to restrict the space for Vardy to run into so instead of playing with two DMs and setting up defensively we should have gone with an additional CM/AM to force United to play in their own half whilst exerting pressure on their back line. 

I think Rodger's got it very wrong on Saturday and agree with those saying we showed United too much respect which is a real shame on the back of the Bournemouth performance where we pressed high up the pitch and hunted in packs. Let's hope that he learns from this lesson and is a little more adventurous moving forwards.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, koop. said:

Got it wrong, bad day, it happens, move on but i expect him to learn from the mistake. A win against Spurs and all is forgotten 

We have a seriously good manager and coaching set up, with a seriously good squad. It'll come good

He's fielded 2 DMs and the same formation for the majority of games now, I don't think Rodgers thinks it is a mistake unfortunately.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

I agree with this.

I'm really against the phantom bench syndrome, by where the players on the bench are considered the saviours over the ones in the starting 11, but Chilwell's performances have been leaky to say the least

Fuchs has looked far more commanding, disciplined and creative so far this season. 

However, Chilwell on the bench seems wrong, it's a classic countdown conundrum. 

I don't have any problems with Chilwell defensively, but it's scary how little he contributes from an attacking perspective. I think in the first few months of last season when he became a regular, he often had the freedom of the left side of the pitch to run in to. Now he's more restricted and the fact is that he can't cross and doesn't link well with his winger either. 

I doubt he'll become anything more than a competent crosser, but there's no reason he shouldn't be able to play one-twos and get to the byline, as we see from Ricardo all the time. He's made huge strides to become an England regular, now his attacking play needs some serious work. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

Wes is 35, so his red cards are probably to do with him losing a yard of pace.  It's not a question of giving him a break and sweeping things under the carpet.  How can someone improve if their flaws are not pointed out?  Like I said, I like Soyuncu, but he can be rash at times.

With all due respect, I am certain BR and his team are pointing out flaws, but this habit by some of continually jumping on Soyuncu at every opportunity is sad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Why then when we play 4-1-4-1 are we disposing teams with ease? I get we are inconsistent and still a work in progress but we have a system that plays to our strengths and yet he is eager to move away from it.

If we're talking last season, could be any number of reasons - players getting to play under a manager they don't hate, Tielemans coming in and absolutely walking it, I've no idea. I don't think that run of form under Rodgers at the end of the season is representative of where we are as a team, just like the run under Shakespeare in 16/17 wasn't. I think if you see that run of form as the baseline then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I also hope we go back to the 4141 sooner rather than later, I just don't think it's going to have as profound an effect as people seem to be hoping. If we play that formation from the Spurs game until the end of the season, there are still going to be games where we're too passive, where we show the opponent too much respect, where Tielemans and Maddison can't get into the game, where Vardy is isolated. 

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'd say it's more than a couple, personally. There seems to be a perception that we've a top six team on paper but I'm not sure how many of those teams above us would be queuing up to take anyone other than Ricardo, Tielemans, Maddison or Vardy. Choudhury and Barnes are two that stand out to me as having a reputation that exceeds their current ability, though as you say Chilwell could do with sorting himself out fairly quickly.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

All managers have strong self belief.  The decide how thing should be abd then do it indpite of results.  Ranieri did it here.  Marinho doest till he is sacked every time. Puel did it. Pearson did it.

I think they behave like this for deep reasons.

We just have to hope we get results on the journey 

4 hours ago, Guest said:

If we're talking last season, could be any number of reasons - players getting to play under a manager they don't hate, Tielemans coming in and absolutely walking it, I've no idea. I don't think that run of form under Rodgers at the end of the season is representative of where we are as a team, just like the run under Shakespeare in 16/17 wasn't. I think if you see that run of form as the baseline then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I also hope we go back to the 4141 sooner rather than later, I just don't think it's going to have as profound an effect as people seem to be hoping. If we play that formation from the Spurs game until the end of the season, there are still going to be games where we're too passive, where we show the opponent too much respect, where Tielemans and Maddison can't get into the game, where Vardy is isolated. 

I'd say it's more than a couple, personally. There seems to be a perception that we've a top six team on paper but I'm not sure how many of those teams above us would be queuing up to take anyone other than Ricardo, Tielemans, Maddison or Vardy. Choudhury and Barnes are the two that stand out to me as having a reputation that exceeds their current ability, though as you say Chilwell could do with sorting himself out fairly quickly.

I'd have to agree with that. I think Soyuncu's got a high ceiling but he's not quite there yet. Evans is clearly a top 6 level centre half for me and I'd add him to that list. I think even Maddison, for all I think he's got the ability, he hasn't quite been able to be as effective as his ability suggests he could be but I do think he'll get there and I do think it's madness, stifling both him and Tielemans to keep binning him on the left.

Leicester's problem is a lack of goals other than Vardy. To have the best striker outside the top sides and still struggle for goals is actually a serious cause for concern, especially given we aren't even bothering with Iheanacho in the squad at all now. What the hell do we do if Vardy gets injured? Perez up front? Barnes?

We also can't really rely on any of our wide forwards to produce the goods. Albrighton's a steady player but he's more your functional Milner, Henderson type rather than your star man. Barnes I think is struggling slightly but hasn't had that much of a run in the side, and to be honest looks better from the bench (and it's totally plausible that he's really yet ANOTHER 10 vying for a positiion we don't even play), Perez has looked lost and Gray's clearly not good enough. I really thought we'd address this in the summer and we just haven't. We've added to the issue if anything.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'd have to agree with that. I think Soyuncu's got a high ceiling but he's not quite there yet. Evans is clearly a top 6 level centre half for me and I'd add him to that list. I think even Maddison, for all I think he's got the ability, he hasn't quite been able to be as effective as his ability suggests he could be but I do think he'll get there and I do think it's madness, stifling both him and Tielemans to keep binning him on the left.

Leicester's problem is a lack of goals other than Vardy. To have the best striker outside the top sides and still struggle for goals is actually a serious cause for concern, especially given we aren't even bothering with Iheanacho in the squad at all now. What the hell do we do if Vardy gets injured? Perez up front? Barnes?

We also can't really rely on any of our wide forwards to produce the goods. Albrighton's a steady player but he's more your functional Milner, Henderson type rather than your star man. Barnes I think is struggling slightly but hasn't had that much of a run in the side, and to be honest looks better from the bench (and it's totally plausible that he's really yet ANOTHER 10 vying for a positiion we don't even play), Perez has looked lost and Gray's clearly not good enough. I really thought we'd address this in the summer and we just haven't. We've added to the issue if anything.

I find it quite difficult to believe we didn't go all out for a good winger to be honest given that it's still the one obvious massive weakness in the squad. Perez was presumably an effort to solve that issue and the lack of backup/competition for Vardy in one convenient package but from what I've seen there's absolutely no chance he's a winger and I don't think he's got the physicality or skill set to lead the line on his own if Vardy gets injured. We hamstrung ourselves badly when we half-arsed replacing Mahrez last year and it's frustrating that we've essentially done it again, especially given all the talk of our supposedly massive ambition.

(RE: Evans I agree completely and forgot to mention him.)

• Like 1

I'm not against a defensive minded approach within reason.  Given how Spurs have carved us open a few times it would be worth considering. They have scored 4 goals or more in 3 games since we were promoted.

For Man U I would have been willing to be a bit more adventurous. We didn't really have much to lose by doing so. A pretty negative vibe around the place and a manager hanging on for dear life. It was a glorious chance to get something.

If we can get something on Saturday then all well and good but another demoralisng result and it could be a hammer blow.

Tough run of games coming up. BR has to get it right. Remember start of 17/18 season? disastrous start in terms of points, but in context that was probably the hardest run of games to start a season you could have picked. Regardless, the run of defeats is always going to be demoralising and ultimately Shakespeare was history by October. 

So far we have done OK, but a run of poor results can soon become a habit as can winning. If we get nothing from the next couple of games we need to make sure we don't let ourselves get into a rut and start panicking. Its still very early days, and as long as we can start winning the sort of games against the lesser lights where we dropped points last season we should still be in contention come the business end of the season.

For this reason We should keep the faith and see where we are and how we are performing come the end of the year.