Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Maddison

2 hours ago, LC/FC said:

It was his first job. Didn't have the qualifications of his coaching badges. Had special dispensation from the FA. Had a few mediocre seasons. Won 1 cup. Got relegated. And never had another job again after getting sacked.

Just what qualifys him to be a national manager when his previous experience was so... Shallow?

And we have had Capello whos won every single club honour imaginable and didn't achieve anything like the same ethos, mentality and togetherness that Southgate achieved in 2018. 

The idea that you need the best club coach to manage the national side is long gone. 

By the time they are at that level its a different coaching thats required. Someone who's been there and done it as a player and been with alot of the same players through the ranks is a very successful method used across the world now. 

As others have said, I'm not claiming Southgate is amazing, but I'll always be thankful to him for that summer because he genuinely rediscovered something that managers throughout my lifetime have never been able to.

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

And we have had Capello whos won every single club honour imaginable and didn't achieve anything like the same ethos, mentality and togetherness that Southgate achieved in 2018. 

The idea that you need the best club coach to manage the national side is long gone. 

By the time they are at that level its a different coaching thats required. Someone who's been there and done it as a player and been with alot of the same players through the ranks is a very successful method used across the world now. 

As others have said, I'm not claiming Southgate is amazing, but I'll always be thankful to him for that summer because he genuinely rediscovered something that managers throughout my lifetime have never been able to.

Capello took on an aging golden generation, not a whole new generation that he could mold into an identity. The only new player worth anything to Fabio was just Rooney. The fact he was also Italian, which placed a language barrier between him and the players applies to Capello, which doesn't for Southgate. Southgate might have helped develop these players in the U21's but that's the U21. Right now does he have the ability to do it at the highest level? Jury's out atm. 

It's not about being the 'Best' manager, otherwise Fergie should have been England manager years ago and the FA tried but he's too Scottish. I'm speaking about experience of the job.

And as much as you say you don't need to be a club manager to be a national team manager these days then explain to me why the likes of Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, France, Belgium, Holland all have managers with good club level experience? 

So that idea is not totally gone as you claim. 

By the time they get to that level, the player should already have ability. It just needs to be put together with a tactical plan. And as much as it was glorious for young fans to experience a semi final (Not a patch on Euro 96 btw) the way we got to the semi's through luck and penalty shootouts ignores the fact that England were poor in that tournament. Euphoria doesn't hide that fact.

When we lost the World Cup semi final, we were just glad to be there because we were poor. When we lost the 96 semi, we were genuinely disappointed because we were good. Huge difference in mentality.

And if that mentality of "Hey, we did well" continues to persist, then England the FA and all the fans can forget about actually winning anything. Because when it comes down to the nitty gritty, it's about how you handle and deal with pressure and expectations. To manage all that for a players own perceived highest honour to play for their country. And has Southgate ever faced the inferno of real pressure and adversity and know what to do when decisions need to be made to enable the best chance to actually do what the job entails... Winning a tournament. 

Edited by LC/FC
  • Like 3

I think he has been the right man to bring in at the right time to oversee a culture change and succession planning in many aspects of the national set up.  Lots of businesses do things like this with growth managers but are not employed to run a company long term.  Southgate has done a lot of good things but I feel he is now out of his depth tactically and in man management to take England forward to any decent level of success.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

I think he has been the right man to bring in at the right time to oversee a culture change and succession planning in many aspects of the national set up.  Lots of businesses do things like this with growth managers but are not employed to run a company long term.  Southgate has done a lot of good things but I feel he is now out of his depth tactically and in man management to take England forward to any decent level of success.

Englands answer to Claude Puel

11 hours ago, MPH said:

His success at the England u21s. lots of club players coming together at short notice  so little time to coach/ manage and relying on  your ability to get your tactical plans across to the players- Just like the national team. completely different to club management.

Please don’t misunderstand me, i’m not saying he’s particularly great but he’s not the piece of turd people are making him out to be

Agreed. Hardly a world beater but having worked in the 21’s he knew a lot of the young lads coming through so was a natural successor for the Senior job as we try to bring them through into the first team. I do like him but I don’t think he’s going to win us a major competition.

19 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

They can all bugger off

Leicester midfielder James Maddison is considering signing a new contract with the club, despite interest from Manchester United.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6500940-exclusive-leicester-confident-over-new-james-maddison-contract-youri-tielemans-next-in-line

means nothing really, he gets a bigger wage fair enough and we get a bigger fee in the summer

5 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

means nothing really, he gets a bigger wage fair enough and we get a bigger fee in the summer

puts it to bed for a bit…. Higher fee is a bonus!

2 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Plus it mentions nothing about possible release clauses or other 'terms'...

I thought we didn’t do those any longer as a matter of policy

23 hours ago, LC/FC said:

Capello took on an aging golden generation, not a whole new generation that he could mold into an identity. The only new player worth anything to Fabio was just Rooney. The fact he was also Italian, which placed a language barrier between him and the players applies to Capello, which doesn't for Southgate. Southgate might have helped develop these players in the U21's but that's the U21. Right now does he have the ability to do it at the highest level? Jury's out atm. 

It's not about being the 'Best' manager, otherwise Fergie should have been England manager years ago and the FA tried but he's too Scottish. I'm speaking about experience of the job.

And as much as you say you don't need to be a club manager to be a national team manager these days then explain to me why the likes of Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, France, Belgium, Holland all have managers with good club level experience? 

So that idea is not totally gone as you claim. 

By the time they get to that level, the player should already have ability. It just needs to be put together with a tactical plan. And as much as it was glorious for young fans to experience a semi final (Not a patch on Euro 96 btw) the way we got to the semi's through luck and penalty shootouts ignores the fact that England were poor in that tournament. Euphoria doesn't hide that fact.

When we lost the World Cup semi final, we were just glad to be there because we were poor. When we lost the 96 semi, we were genuinely disappointed because we were good. Huge difference in mentality.

And if that mentality of "Hey, we did well" continues to persist, then England the FA and all the fans can forget about actually winning anything. Because when it comes down to the nitty gritty, it's about how you handle and deal with pressure and expectations. To manage all that for a players own perceived highest honour to play for their country. And has Southgate ever faced the inferno of real pressure and adversity and know what to do when decisions need to be made to enable the best chance to actually do what the job entails... Winning a tournament. 

I think you'll be shocked at how well we do next summer. 

I'm slightly tired of the argument that it was just easy. Do you remember the "golden generation" stuttering past Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago by the smallest of margians? 

It's okay saying they were "easy" but this side had a clear plan of how to play and beat what was put in front of them with ease at times. That doesn't sound like much but it was more than Sven managed. The hunger and desire along with a genuine way of playing was always lost on those supposedly better sides. 

Im not saying we are world beaters but we are alot better than people give us credit for and I expect at least another semi final next summer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, brucey said:

They quote that Maddison was a United fan when younger, is hardly surprising. Huge numbers of people were United fans years ago during their dominance, you don't see as many now given they're pretty shit these days. A lot of people who were United fans as kids around Leicester are now either Leicester fans or don't particularly care about football anymore.  Same with the comment of Maddison being friends with Maguire, he's also best mates with Chilwell and close to the likes of Gray. 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
8 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

I'm slightly tired of the argument that it was just easy. Do you remember the "golden generation" stuttering past Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago by the smallest of margians? 

It's okay saying they were "easy" but this side had a clear plan of how to play and beat what was put in front of them with ease at times. That doesn't sound like much but it was more than Sven managed. The hunger and desire along with a genuine way of playing was always lost on those supposedly better sides. 

Im not saying we are world beaters but we are alot better than people give us credit for and I expect at least another semi final next summer.

Well in 70 years of trying , England have reached one final in major competition so history is definitely against us. The reason we struggle , skill? no , effort? no ,luck? occasionally , intelligence ? almost always. Our players do not have the brain . In 1966 we had clever players and Gordon Banks.

9 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

We'll have to see next year and if it's a good showing then it's good.

But I'm going off last years 2 extra time penalty shoot outs... Which shows we had a bit of luck rather than our own ability.

9 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

We will beat teams much lower than us in rankings, like we did this qualification.

when we play anyone of note we will lose.

Holland

Germany

France

Spain

Portugal

Italy

Belgium

Will beat us.

it would be a toss up Vs Croatia and we would beat anyone below that, but who cares.

UEFA have been very clever with this tournament, they have made so all of the big nations qualify maximizing their revenue and viewing figures.

2 minutes ago, Cujek said:

We will beat teams much lower than us in rankings, like we did this qualification.

when we play anyone of note we will lose.

Holland

Germany

France

Spain

Portugal

Italy

Belgium

Will beat us.

it would be a toss up Vs Croatia and we would beat anyone below that, but who cares.

UEFA have been very clever with this tournament, they have made so all of the big nations qualify maximizing their revenue and viewing figures.

They must love the money that Wembley generates giving England a pretty big advantage, If England reach the final they have played 5 of their 7 matches at Wembley....but you just know we'll feck it up so it won't matter.

8 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

They must love the money that Wembley generates giving England a pretty big advantage, If England reach the final they have played 5 of their 7 matches at Wembley....but you just know we'll feck it up so it won't matter.

Yup indeed.

we will reach the final if we dont play any of the big nations on the way.

I imagine England Vs France is Uefa' wet dream.

2 hours ago, brucey said:

There are rumours that Man Utd have £200m to spend over the next two windows. That doesn't get too much these days. If they want Maddison, that's about half their budget gone, and their squad needs a lot of work. Could certainly happen, but they'd be wiser finding someone cheaper if that rumour is true.

It would be a much greater loss than Maguire was. That's for sure. Obviously, I'd love it if he stays, but I've no doubt we'd find a good replacement if he has to go. Might already have him in Praet.