Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Maddison

1 minute ago, treer said:

bloody hell, he tapped him on the leg, in an act of petulance.

Sorry mate but if you're the Captain and you're petulant, then you don't deserve that armband. Simple as.

The Captain is the example and should know that. If he wasn't the Captain and just a normal member of the team, fair enough but he is. That's not just for his, team, our team. It's for every team. 

Arsenal fans went batshit at their own Captain because whether they like it or not, there is an expectation of professionalism with the armband.

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I would take Grealish at LCFC in a heartbeat.

Terrific player and likely to get even better.

If Villa go down he'll end up at somewhere 'bigger' than us I suspect though.

PS Interviewed him for TS a while back and he could not have been more charming and helpful. Certainly changed my opinion about him.

Cheers Geoff... For utterly quashing my previous grievance with him and making me feel a mug. I'm man enough to admit maybe I have prejudged him from previous immature showings and the petulance of the weekend's game was just lashing out over the fact that he knew we that we completely nullified them just like we did the other 7 opponents before them.

So I take it your original opinion, before he changed it, was similar to the unimpressed one I have of his attitude? 

17 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

Cheers Geoff... For utterly quashing my previous grievance with him and making me feel a mug. I'm man enough to admit maybe I have prejudged him from previous immature showings and the petulance of the weekend's game was just lashing out over the fact that he knew we that we completely nullified them just like we did the other 7 opponents before them.

So I take it your original opinion, before he changed it, was similar to the unimpressed one I have of his attitude? 

I wasn't unimpressed by him before meeting him but for sure harboured some reservations based on a few old stories. Was surprised how mature he was and just how helpful he was. Some players/managers treat those PL content sessions as a chore. He made sure every broadcaster got what they needed and chatted happily off record in between. Wouldn't see him having a problem in our dressing room at all even though, as I said, I think he'll go somewhere bigger than us eventually.

• Like 1

Villa fans on their forum were not wowed by Grealish's performance Sunday, and less so his conduct in the second half.  (Though they certainly saw him as a relatively bright spot.)

I don't see him as a poor character.  More likely, he’s just been too big a fish in a too small a pond at a tender age.

He might have done better to spend some time at a club that excels in physical and mental development of young players.  As one part of a bigger whole, with outstanding coaches and senior pros as role models, he’d quickly refocus on maximizing every ounce of his considerable talent.

Too bad we can’t use him ATM  :ph34r:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Where is there any proof he’s ever disrupted any squad? Isn’t he Villa captain and poster boy? 

Basically this. He didn’t do anything on Sunday that some of our players haven’t. Thought he was their best player by a country mile and not sure why so many city fans are so touchy over Grealish. Rattled a lot of our fans on Sunday big time. 

There's a reason he hasn't been picked up by one of the big clubs.

I'd say its more to do with his off field antics. He's not a bad footballer. He shouldn't be getting involved in the type of antics he got up to on Sunday. 

Great players let their performance do the talking. He's still young yet

and time to improve.

I certainly wouldn't swap Madison for him. 

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I would take Grealish at LCFC in a heartbeat.

Terrific player and likely to get even better.

If Villa go down he'll end up at somewhere 'bigger' than us I suspect though.

PS Interviewed him for TS a while back and he could not have been more charming and helpful. Certainly changed my opinion about him.

Yeah, probably Man United or Arsenal will grab him.

Grealish and Maddison are different players, Jack is exactly the sort of dynamic midfielder who can be deployed on the wing cutting in and not look out of position. Maddison is much more of a threat in tight spaces centrally where his quick brain and footwork bamboozle the opposition. Watch the natural movement of Maddison and he is a central attacking midfielder and one of the most promising there is, Grealish is more of a Barnes type midfielder who although isn't a natural winger he is much more powerful and direct.

I used to think Grealish was way overrated but he is quality, I think Liverpool will sign him in the summer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. He definitely didn’t conduct himself well on Sunday but not exactly the crimes against humanity like some are suggesting. I respect the points you are making but think you are being a tad harsh on the young man.

Crimes against decent sporting conduct. I can imagine one of our players overacting in the penalty area. I can imagine someone dragging someone’s legs. I’d be annoyed if one did both in under 30 seconds. But he also hits Ndidi. In the back. Because he can’t play fair and win. The man’s a nasty little child.

Once villa get relegated (:fc:) Graelish will join Alli at Spurs, and then I can cancel my netflicks subscription because Spurs will have two skin crawling villains that would surpass any work of fiction. And when they drag their studs across Maddison’s tendons in an England match and protect Mount right there starts a blood feud.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Crimes against decent sporting conduct. I can imagine one of our players overacting in the penalty area. I can imagine someone dragging someone’s legs. I’d be annoyed if one did both in under 30 seconds. But he also hits Ndidi. In the back. Because he can’t play fair and win. The man’s a nasty little child.

Once villa get relegated (:fc:) Graelish will join Alli at Spurs, and then I can cancel my netflicks subscription because Spurs will have two skin crawling villains that would surpass any work of fiction. And when they drag their studs across Maddison’s tendons in an England match and protect Mount right there starts a blood feud.

Bit strong maybe?

lol 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Bit strong maybe?

lol 

Let's not pretend they're good people. Graelish reminds me of the little crunt who overtook Winterfeld in Game of Thrones. Imagine if Alli and Graelish combined their cruntiness. We'd have to eject them into space.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I'd say its more to do with his off field antics. He's not a bad footballer. He shouldn't be getting involved in the type of antics he got up to on Sunday. 

and time to improve.

Yep, Villa’s price valuation. Spurs came in for him twice but were quoted huge prices. 

As for off the field antics, apart from being pictured having a few drinks and doing a few balloons on holiday which is fairly normal in my eyes what are you referring to? Not aware there’s ever been off the field issues or problems. 

3 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

and time to improve.

I don't think anyone has suggested they would swap Maddison for him so a straw man argument.

You said you wouldn't take Grealish for free which is just ludicrous.

He's a top quality player who I'd have here in a heartbeat. We could probably spend our money a bit better as he would be a great addition to the squad but we already have Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans who play in his position. If Villa get relegated I suspect Grealish will end up at a top club for £40m+

From Laurie Whitwell:

James Maddison is another player who has long been tracked by United and is primary among their thoughts, The Athletic understands. A creative No 10 who covers ground is exactly what United have missed, particularly against deep defences where space is tight.

Yet Maddison is also in advanced talks with Leicester over a new contract and it is expected he will agree terms raising his weekly wage from £50,000 to somewhere in the region of £85,000. That would finish any ambitions United have for a January move but should not dissuade interest in future.

Under his current deal Maddison is committed until 2023 and Leicester, it is believed, would already demand at least £100 million. So an extended contract could not increase the price too much; it is more a reward for his consistently excellent form in the Premier League. Whether Maddison would want to leave a club who are on course to qualify for the Champions League is another matter to debate, of course.

£100m sounds about right whoever the "big clubs" come in for next. A new contract however could add another £50m to that or more. Our excellent business with the Maguire deal proved that a) you can't dick us around any more, b) we'll get what we want for the player and it WILL be obscene money, and c) the grass isn't always greener.

2 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

From Laurie Whitwell:

£100m sounds about right whoever the "big clubs" come in for next. A new contract however could add another £50m to that or more. Our excellent business with the Maguire deal proved that a) you can't dick us around any more, b) we'll get what we want for the player and it WILL be obscene money, and c) the grass isn't always greener.

notwithstanding how good our management team are in this respect, it also goes to show why the so called big clubs are trying to get a bigger slice of the TV money. As it stands almost no club, unless relegated has to sell any of their best players these days unless they get top dollar and this is, along with squad limits and FFP rules, is levelling out the playing field, stopping certain clubs stockpiling all the best players and they are running scared that they are losing their strangle hold on the lucrative European spots

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

From Laurie Whitwell:

And fans of other teams thought we were joking when we said our next player that's coveted would cost them 100 million :whistle:

Anyone want to inform Man Utd fans? 

lol

16 hours ago, LC/FC said:

I've seen and heard Grealish give interviews and compared to Maddison, who's articulate, very well spoken and has an intelligence in his replies, Grealish just sounds like a thick brummie.

I believe our club looks for smart footballers that can show adaptation and learning progression including mental toughness. I don't think anyone in our side is unintelligent. Jack's petulant showing when facing adversity shows he has talent but not intelligence. And there are and will be dumb footballers. Paul Merson exists. We had Robbie Savage FFS. 

But then again, Grealish plays for Aston Villa, whose manager on Sunday didn’t sub off an injured defender and cost his side the first goal. 

Managers can be thick too.

I wasn’t comparing his interviews to Maddison’s. All brummies sound thick (same as all Yorkshire folk do). 

I’m not sure how you can think Grealish is a dumb footballer but that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Fox said:

I wasn’t comparing his interviews to Maddison’s. All brummies sound thick (same as all Yorkshire folk do). 

I’m not sure how you can think Grealish is a dumb footballer but that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. 

It isn't the accent that makes him seem thick to me and tbf I know plenty of brummies that are totally intelligent. 

That's probably why when I hear him speak, it comes off as not very clever because I know what a smart brummie speaks like.

But also his party antics back in the day shows me a young man that hasn't been tought to think for himself and understand his responsibilities. 

But as you said, my opinion. 

On 08/12/2019 at 17:09, StanSP said:

Maddison is everything Grealish wants to be and some more. Class apart. Grealish focuses too much on falling over easily but also giving out cynical fouls. Maddison more focussed on playing the game and doing his job as a creative midfielder. There's no comparison for me.

Quite. For all of Grealish's obvious talent he is still not the player he should be.