Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

Yea I’m still fully behind him. In a strange way the poor form will maybe benefit us in the long run as it identifies some of the players are not suited to his system.

Brendon bangs on about development and he’s probably giving the players a fair crack but I’m sure he’s coming to a point where he realises he might need to bring in new players better suited to his ideas.

• Like 2

Anywhere in the top 6, plus a League Cup semi final, is a good return and a good season. Yes our form has been shit, and I am worrying we may drop out the top 4 altogether, but top 4 was never our aim and I can't see it being the boards aim either. Top 6 is what we were ideally aiming for and we should get it.

We can't keep on changing managers when something goes wrong otherwise we'll end up getting relegated and it clearly looks like it's more than just the manager that's the issue.

I have belief in Rodgers. He's inherited a decent squad but that's all. He's still got players to move on - Albrighton, King, Amartey - who are not good enough to be starting for a side aiming for Europe. We need a quality winger this summer, definitely. 

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He insists on being the tallest member of the backroom staff

Even the gk coach??!!

imagine our new 5ft coach saying, ‘here Kasper, here’s how you catch a ball in a crowded area’

Edited by jmono84

44 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Yea I’m still fully behind him. In a strange way the poor form will maybe benefit us in the long run as it identifies some of the players are not suited to his system.

Brendon bangs on about development and he’s probably giving the players a fair crack but I’m sure he’s coming to a point where he realises he might need to bring in new players better suited to his ideas.

The question is though. Is his system all it's cracked up to be and are we reasonably able to get the players it requires. Gone are the days of Barcelona who had the world's best players to execute their version of the system. We seemed to have moved from our own brand of a fast moving pressing game to a sub standard old Liverpool cross mediocre poor mans Barcelona style. We're easily countered and pressed now due the persistence of this ponderous sludge like build up from the back nonsense. By the time we're anywhere near inside the opposition half they've had time to stroll back and nullify any threat by Vardy or anyone else. 

40 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Which ideas do you refer to?

I guess I would refer to style of play, set pieces, playing out from the back in a set pattern + no plan B . I know managers have to have their own philosophy and for example Guardiola will never change his system, but when you have class players you can get away with that. I think Rodgers is very stubborn in these regards and needs to adapt, on occasions. 

I would like to see some varied corners + set piece ideas. Look at Brighton goal, even if just to keep opponents guessing and thinking instead of guaranteeing the ball will aim for Soyuncu / Evans or Ndidi and we hope one of them win it. 

Playing out from the back is a great idea but you might agree we have looked laboured since Christmas with the ball and pose very little threat because we play side to side continuously. There doesn't seem to be any forward runs or penetration anymore. We seem to pass with very little options, and Rodgers won't change.  

Which leads to a lot of high crosses in the box. Which I cannot reason why we do this. We only have Vardy as an outlet and I can not remember the last header he won or Kelechi. Surely we look for low crosses or cut backs for a shot. Martial goal from Wan Bissaka as an example, give your small strikers a chance, why play high crosses against the Watford defence and Brighton who are all 6ft2 or more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

I do agree fully behind Rodgers, he does have a good coaching reputation even though I think he can do better. 

Do you think there is more too it, as we always start well under new managers and tail of massively, Shakespeare, Puel and now Rodgers. We looked great first few months of all these managers and roughly Christmas time we dropped massively. 

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

An old school friend started a discussion about this. I asked for viable alternatives in the case of sacking BR off. He said Southgate. I said 'viable'. He said Eddie Howe. The conversation stopped soon after.

Did he walk off by any chance Peaky ....  

5 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Bumping this ! 

all the negativity ! 

two draws and some think the world has ended ! 

he is a fantastic manager 

We will be in the champions league next season and on our squad that’s a minor miracle ! 

the players are on the beach it’s been a problem at this club for a few years now 

in Brendan we trust 

..We should never be seeing this scenario!!!

Yes we have seen this before and the only thing that says is the manager is not in control of a squad of players who choose to perform when they feel like it.

It is a worrying aspect that any aspiration by the club, is at the mercy of a habitual undermining of any progress envisaged by our owners and supporters alike.

We should have made Europe but failed to pick up points when we tailed off so Burnley went through, we should have made Europe but tailed off again to allow Wolves to qualify, so in too seasons the same scenario has raised its head, and we are at present embarking on a repeat performance.

Players "being on the beach" is not a phrase to blithely answer a question, it is a symptom of a malaise which runs deep in this club.

Guest An Sionnach

I would remove the captaincy from Kasper and give it to Maddison . He then should be given the freedom to dictate onfield tactics and to avoid predictability at all costs. He is a clever lad and will think outside of the box. Klopp for instance allows his players to vary their game and I think he is right to do that. Our players are well capable of changing their game and should throw the opposition more curve balls.

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I would remove the captaincy from Kasper and give it to Maddison . He then should be given the freedom to dictate onfield tactics and to avoid predictability at all costs. He is a clever lad and will think outside of the box. Klopp for instance allows his players to vary their game and I think he is right to do that. Our players are well capable of changing their game and should throw the opposition more curve balls.

IMG_20190417_064515_215.jpg.73d661bee83e9323bfe4ecd8dd85abdf.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I wouldn’t ..  don’t think he could motivate ..  especially the older players ...  and what happens when his head goes down ..

So that’s a no chance from me ..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I just said 'yes, he's evidently better'.

Which was evidently said with heavy sarcasm. I don't think he liked that much.

Are you sure you didn’t start correcting his grammar ...   cus that’s a fookin long way to walk to get away from you ...    :)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Unique FC said:

I guess I would refer to style of play, set pieces, playing out from the back in a set pattern + no plan B . I know managers have to have their own philosophy and for example Guardiola will never change his system, but when you have class players you can get away with that. I think Rodgers is very stubborn in these regards and needs to adapt, on occasions. 

I would like to see some varied corners + set piece ideas. Look at Brighton goal, even if just to keep opponents guessing and thinking instead of guaranteeing the ball will aim for Soyuncu / Evans or Ndidi and we hope one of them win it. 

Playing out from the back is a great idea but you might agree we have looked laboured since Christmas with the ball and pose very little threat because we play side to side continuously. There doesn't seem to be any forward runs or penetration anymore. We seem to pass with very little options, and Rodgers won't change.  

Which leads to a lot of high crosses in the box. Which I cannot reason why we do this. We only have Vardy as an outlet and I can not remember the last header he won or Kelechi. Surely we look for low crosses or cut backs for a shot. Martial goal from Wan Bissaka as an example, give your small strikers a chance, why play high crosses against the Watford defence and Brighton who are all 6ft2 or more. 

OK, I see, thanks.

Corners, Set Pieces, Crossing into the box, yeah, totally agree with this. It's tricky to watch when crosses go into the box and we could bet our houses upon the outcome. That said, would that really be a Brendan directive? not sure, but I guess you're frustrated as to why he does not stamp it out and manage better options. 

I think playing out from the back has to be done, but yes, with purpose and vision. 

I think he's been really flexible and progressive with style, tactics, systems and I'm not swung by the "no plan B" argument. 

He's definitely been conservative with subs all season, but I think very subtle Plan B, C and D's have been implanted throughout games this season. I guess he's just reluctant to try Plan A (llardyce) and go long, not saying you've requested that, but I'm sure I've felt quite a few on here wanting that as a brutal Plan B. 

I do understand the "stubborn" comparison, but for now, I still believe he possesses the knowledge and quality to allow himself to be. 

I certainly believe any potential player stubbornness and awkwardness to adapt to new systems will be dealt with more patience than Puel had. 

Guest An Sionnach
5 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I wouldn’t ..  don’t think he could motivate ..  especially the older players ...  and what happens when his head goes down ..

So that’s a no chance from me ..

Kasper is too far out of the game for me and he is no Wes , Johnny is an option but I think Maddison will captain us eventually and why not start now. He is our main playmaker anyway but can be hamstrung by Rodgers overall ideology . Give him the freedom to innovate and the responsibility and his head will stay up.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

Kasper is too far out of the game for me and he is no Wes , Johnny is an option but I think Maddison will captain us eventually and why not start now. He is our main playmaker anyway but can be hamstrung by Rodgers overall ideology . Give him the freedom to innovate and the responsibility and his head will stay up.

I think he can innovate, but not as captain ..   it’s a big role and he’s just not up to it.   And as for Kasper ..  he’s got a big gob, never shuts up, is loud  ..  and highly motivated.   Good choice ..   until  someone better comes along.

I think defensively we’re actually quite solid and for a team without that many tall players we do ok at set pieces.

Also our central midfield options are good but we need to invest heavily in our forward options.

I agree that kasper, as one of the senior players, obviously has respect and is certainly vocal. However, I have never been a fan of keepers or strikers as captain. To often isolated in their own part of the pitch to influence the game. Much prefer a defender or central midfielder. Don't really think madder is captain material.  My pick would be Evans and maybe longer term Wilf or YT

Guest An Sionnach
5 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I think he can innovate, but not as captain ..   it’s a big role and he’s just not up to it.   And as for Kasper ..  he’s got a big gob, never shuts up, is loud  ..  and highly motivated.   Good choice ..   until  someone better comes along.

Kasper will never shut up I agree but his footballing brain is entirely defensive . We need a strong leader in midfield and attack , someone who can dictate our play going forward.