Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

I think an important thing to remember is that if his release clause is £14 million as it’s been reported, that’s a LOT of money to pay for a manager, before you’ve discussed wages and before you’ve discussed a transfer budget for January. 

There’s a couple of very high profile managers who are out of work who they’d be able to land without having to pay another club out. Does it make business sense to pay £14 million pounds for a manager who, in respect to somebody like Alegri, has won very little? 

It’s peanuts to top EPL clubs lets be honest. You guys paid £9m for him and his staff to us in the blink of an eye for example. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John12345 said:

I think it's just him being commercial. He can renegotiate his deal etc by being linked. If he's this smart a manager I'm sure he's no schmuck when it comes to his own money. 

A decent point thus, done exactly this with Celtic two summers ago when he got a big money offer from China.

He had the chance to squash it, he chose not to, he consciously made that choice. 

With regards to the buyout, every single manager has one. What do you think happens when a manager gets sacked? clubs have to buy out their contracts. Unless a club offers to buyout his contract (around £15m) its a non-starter. 

So Arsenal, need to pay £15m to release him from his contract & a further £7.5m a year? All from a club with tight purse strings. 

He's not going to Arsenal, but I don't expect him to be around long judging by his interviews, comes across VERY self serving. We're talking about Arsenal, they're a shell of their former selves, crap fans, soulless stadium, crap owners & unrealistic expectation... just imagine it was Bayern, PSG, United even Liverpool again.

Edited by L3n9a
  • Like 2

Just now, henrik_62 said:

It’s peanuts to top EPL clubs lets be honest. You guys paid £9m for him and his staff to us in the blink of an eye for example. 

Different expectations in that respect to be honest and without paying that amount of money our pool of candidates who would actually come is depleted. We didn’t have the pulling power to get candidates like the top bosses available in the first place - there was also pretty much nobody known to be any good available at the time? (Haven’t fact checked that so could be wrong) 

We’re not an Arsenal, they can attract top tier managers in my opinion, based on their history and stature in the game. I don’t think it makes sense paying £14 million when you could get somebody like Alegri without the severance package. But I suppose if Rodgers is who Arsenal want then yeah they’ll pay it. But I’m not sure he’s their main target FWIW 

• Like 1

Just now, Blue Fox 72 said:

I've never been able to understand why most clubs seem to be reluctant to pay out the requested fee for a manager, even if it is 10, 20, 30 million? Whereas a lot of clubs will spend multi-millions on overrated and overpriced players.

The appointment of the right manager is well worth paying a hefty fee to get him in.

Simply put, players have re-sale value. Managers usually end up getting sacked, especially at big clubs. 

5 minutes ago, Manini said:

Different expectations in that respect to be honest and without paying that amount of money our pool of candidates who would actually come is depleted. We didn’t have the pulling power to get candidates like the top bosses available in the first place - there was also pretty much nobody known to be any good available at the time? (Haven’t fact checked that so could be wrong) 

We’re not an Arsenal, they can attract top tier managers in my opinion, based on their history and stature in the game. I don’t think it makes sense paying £14 million when you could get somebody like Alegri without the severance package. But I suppose if Rodgers is who Arsenal want then yeah they’ll pay it. But I’m not sure he’s their main target FWIW 

Was it not well reported that it was between Rodgers and Benitez, they are both top tier managers imo.

Its six of one and half a dozen of another tbh, on one hand Rodgers will cost you £14m in compo but someone like Allegri will have higher salary demands, probably demand far more money for players and given he’s never worked outside Italy may be more of a risk. Rodgers for example the attraction will be he has a track record of taking underperforming players and get them firing again, develop young players etc which will save you money.

Agreed in terms of top target though, I don’t think it’ll be Rodgers either.

Edited by henrik_62

Just now, Blue Fox 72 said:

I've never been able to understand why most clubs seem to be reluctant to pay out the requested fee for a manager, even if it is 10, 20, 30 million? Whereas a lot of clubs will spend multi-millions on overrated and overpriced players.

The appointment of the right manager is well worth paying a hefty fee to get him in.

It’s probably because there’s a high chance they’ll end up having to sack them if things don’t go well. More money paid out. A manager lives and dies by his decisions alone - with players there’s different factors as to how they’ll perform so id assume more variables and less risk in that sense? 

Just thinking out load more than anything? 

At least if a player flops you can sell them on and recoup back some of the fee - you can’t just transfer list your manager can you? 

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

Was it not well reported that it was between Rodgers and Benitez, they are both top tier managers imo.

Its six of one and half a dozen of another tbh, on one hand Rodgers will cost you £14m in compo but someone like Allegri will have higher salary demands, probably demand far more money for players and given he’s never worked outside Italy may be more of a risk. Rodgers for example the attraction will be he has a track record of taking underperforming players and get them firing again, develop young players etc which will save you money.

Agreed in terms of top target though, I don’t think it’ll be Rodgers either.

Yeah Rafa was in a job too though wasn’t he - that’s what I’m saying we had to pay to get a decent name in as there was nobody readily available as there is now for Arsenal to choose from. Arsenal could land proven coaches for no compo - that would make more sense financially  I’m sure but who knows! They’re not the most conventional of clubs recently are they.

14 minutes ago, L3n9a said:

He had the chance to squash it, he chose not to, he consciously made that choice. 

With regards to the buyout, every single manager has one. What do you think happens when a manager gets sacked? clubs have to buy out their contracts. Unless a club offers to buyout his contract (around £15m) its a non-starter. 

So Arsenal, need to pay £15m to release him from his contract & a further £7.5m a year? All from a club with tight purse strings. 

He's not going to Arsenal, but I don't expect him to be around long judging by his interviews, comes across VERY self serving. We're talking about Arsenal, they're a shell of their former selves, crap fans, soulless stadium, crap owners & unrealistic expectation... just imagine it was Bayern, PSG, United even Liverpool again.

Wow .... you really want to be his mate, post like that I sort of think that the sort of support no club needs 

2 hours ago, Bryn said:

Inspired. Absolutely inspired. To see we needed Iheanacho on the field, I bet no-one at home was calling for it. Unbelievable manager.

He has been a misfit no doubt but I wasn't opposed to the idea. We want him to do well in spite of everything so far.

Looked like it was going to be one of those days. We had nothing to lose. Fair play Nacho Man.

48 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Percy has put out a piece in the Telegraph!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/12/01/leicester-city-vs-everton-premier-league-live-score-latest-updates/

Leicester City come from behind to sink Everton as Brendan Rodgers reaffirms commitment to the cause

Now that's how you write a headline.  Take note Sky, BBC et al. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a bit baffled as why the release clause is only £14m, do release clauses for managers reflect the total remaining wage on their contract or can it be set at any price? As Henrik says, it would be odd for us to pay £9m to get him and his staff only to leave ourselves vulnerable to losing him for only £5m more. He's worth £20-30m to a desperate club like Arsenal or Man Utd and nigh on priceless to us this season. It's a mistake if this comes back to bite us after how shrewd we have been at managing sought after players since the Kante debacle.

• Like 1

I'm sure Brendan is sharp enough to realise that though Arsenal are one of the 'big' clubs, they're a poorly run club with a lot of really poor players. He's at a club that is run brilliantly and we have a much better playing squad.

Arsenal might be a bigger name right now but we're a club on the up. 15-20 years ago, Villa and Newcastle were big clubs and Man City and Chelsea were relative also-rans but football is cyclical and we've shown we can be a top 6 side and Arsenal are some way off. Honestly think he'd be mad to leave us for them. We are at the start of an upward curve and they are the on the downward.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm a bit baffled as why the release clause is only £14m, do release clauses for managers reflect the total remaining wage on their contract or can it be set at any price? As Henrik says, it would be odd for us to pay £9m to get him and his staff only to leave ourselves vulnerable to losing him for only £5m more. He's worth £20-30m to a desperate club like Arsenal or Man Utd and nigh on priceless to us this season. It's a mistake if this comes back to bite us after how shrewd we have been at managing sought after players since the Kante debacle.

It's rumoured he's on 5.5m a year, so if he has a clause of 14m, then that's almost like paying him out of the remaining years on his deal. I suppose the good thing here is that this clause applies even next season should he stay here and doesn't decrease until the deal is up.

I guess though that from now on, we will try and put a bigger clause for new managers. To be fair, who could have seen Rodgers having us 2nd in the table, club record 9-0 win and 6 wins in a row in less than a year!? He's blown the lid up of all expectations.

• Like 1