Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

4 minutes ago, Kasey Keller said:

Klopp wins manager of month for third time in November. FFS we won all our games and hadn’t even conceded a fcuking goal.

fuming.

Doesn’t matter- this award is BS anyway. Hopefully this will be the high water mark in their season and they’ll go into a massive slump starting at the weekend :fc:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kasey Keller said:

Klopp wins manager of month for third time in November. FFS we won all our games and hadn’t even conceded a fcuking goal.

fuming.

28 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

That to me is big club bias, and i don't usually go with this as a conspiracy theory. 

think this was announced on Friday … mane player of the month too

We don't care unless bren wins :)

26 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Doesn’t matter- this award is BS anyway. Hopefully this will be the high water mark in their season and they’ll go into a massive slump starting at the weekend :fc:

they don't play in the prem this weekend ……...

How bookish Brendan Rodgers got Leicester players on the same page

Improving training and making them more prepared at the start of matches has taken the Foxes to second in the Premier League

Every Leicester player has a book that was given to him by its author, Brendan Rodgers. It is a kind of manual, a general explanation of the manager’s tactical ideas and a section on player behaviour. It is not an overly intricate tome and the players are not compelled to read it. But practically all have done so or at least referred to it.

Most, though long accustomed to being coached, have never been given a similar document. Several have said they were impressed by the time and thought put into it and also liked the unashamed ambition of a manager who declared from the outset how he believed he could get the best out of players and how he expected them to strive to do likewise. “You can’t climb the mountain in a suit,” is a Rodgers line, a catchy way of reminding young players they will have to sweat to get to the top. His book has two merits: it is of practical use for players learning a new way of playing; and it carries symbolic power in a club with big aims.

2627.jpg?width=460&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=b74b0caf3324decfdbd3a1cfc3fd5341

Last season Leicester finished 46 points behind Manchester City; but they will stand above Pep Guardiola’s side this Christmas no matter how Saturday’s showdown at the Etihad pans out. That extraordinary change is partly down to a slight dwindling at Manchester City but the chief cause is the improvement at Leicester under Rodgers. Which is attributable to a change of practices and communication.

Mocking of Rodgers for supposed David Brentisms will always find an audience but at Leicester his communication skills have complemented his technical knowhow, helping to raise standards and morale. Communication was not a forte of Rodgers’ predecessor, Claude Puel, who did much good work but was at times too cold, at others too imprecise.

To develop the team Puel had to phase out older players who had served the club well, but the way he went about that caused unnecessary ill-will. Puel’s eagerness to advance to a post-Jamie Vardy era seems particularly ludicrous in the light of the striker’s renewed lethality under Rodgers; but the treatment of the long-serving midfielder Andy King, who said he had little meaningful dialogue with Puel before eventually leaving the club in February 2018, also caused resentment.

Rodgers, too, has inherited members of the 2016 title-winning squad whom he will have to move on but he has chosen to treat them as assets for as long as they are at the club rather than alienate them. Wes Morgan and Christian Fuchs were even awarded new contracts shortly after Rodgers’ arrival and continue to make valuable contributions from the bench as well as sharing their experience of staying around the top of the league.

Rodgers’ most significant communication triumph, however, has been the clarity of his training and how it translates into matches. Under Puel too many players felt there was a discrepancy between how they practised and how they were expected to perform at the weekend. Vardy memorably complained that the team felt they were preparing for a marathon but were then expected to compete in a 100m dash, and that is why they often fell short.

Now Leicester are able to play with exceptional intensity because that is how they train. According to the midfielder Hamza Choudhury, “the intensity has gone through the roof”. James Maddison has explained that is not simply a question of fitness, it is also about concentration and choreographed deployment. “I think the word ‘intensity’ confuses people,” he said a couple of months into Rodgers’ reign. “They think it just means running around 100mph but it’s not. We’ve worked on pressing a lot and that is intense by nature and there are a lot of tactical elements involved. We’re constantly learning.”

Even though Leicester tend to have more possession than their opponents, no team have won more tackles than them in the Premier League this season. The individual members of Leicester’s defence are excellent and Wilfried Ndidi is a magnificent screener in midfield, but the team’s well-synchronised dynamism is the main reason they have conceded fewer goals than anyone else. Rodgers’ message and method are understood and applied.

Last season Leicester had a revealing bad habit: they and Watford had the joint-worst record for goals conceded in the first 15 minutes, exposing a measure of muddle in preparations. Watford have not solved their problem – they have the worst record for conceding early goals again – but for Leicester it is no longer an issue (though the biggest test comes on Saturday, as Manchester City have scored more early goals than anyone else).

But Leicester’s biggest improvement has been in their attacking. It seems incredible now that Watford scored more goals than them last season, and even Crystal Palace managed as many. Now Leicester go forward. Leicester’s discipline and tenacity are attacking qualities. Now Leicester penetrate much more often because they have become more knowing. They are not simply more energetic but also more patient.

The message that Puel never quite seemed to be able to get through is that being patient does not mean being slow. Leicester pass and move with great speed but have learned to wait for the right moment to go for the kill.

They have had similar amounts of possession in matches this season as last but have completed an average of 22% more passes per match because they are constantly trying to pull opponents out of shape.

It takes admirable clarity of thought, as well as talent, to upset the established order.

Original article:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/20/bookish-brendan-rodgers-leicester-city-same-page

-----------------------------------------------

Very interesting to hear about this, quite a bold idea to try and give players instructions in this way, but boy does it seemed to have worked! I'd love to see a copy for myself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
Guest An Sionnach
1 hour ago, LinekersLugs said:

We will be in the champions league next season and on our squad that’s a minor miracle

We have some of the premier leagues best players and when they are on song are a match for anybody , its the managers job to keep them in form. The question at the moment is he doing that? Occasional poor performances happen to all top teams , its when it goes on for weeks we all start asking questions. Its a good chance tomorrow against our main rivals to provide the answers.

Edited by An Sionnach

2 games into the restart two draws. OK maybe we should have done a bit better and the team selection against Brighton seemed a little odd but I am sure there were reasons ( we have no idea about the physical and mental fitness of the squad after the lay off for one thing) but I am heartily sick of the doomsayers and negativity. Just waiting for the Rodgers out thread to appear. Anyone who thinks that at this point in time (what happens in the future is a different matter) BR is not the right man or that he "lost the dressing room" etc needs to give their head a wobble. Whereever we finish this has been a great campaign and the future is still bright.

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, urban fox said:

2 games into the restart two draws. OK maybe we should have done a bit better and the team selection against Brighton seemed a little odd but I am sure there were reasons ( we have no idea about the physical and mental fitness of the squad after the lay off for one thing) but I am heartily sick of the doomsayers and negativity. Just waiting for the Rodgers out thread to appear. Anyone who thinks that at this point in time (what happens in the future is a different matter) BR is not the right man or that he "lost the dressing room" etc needs to give their head a wobble. Whereever we finish this has been a great campaign and the future is still bright.

I agree entirely and Rodgers is a perfect fit for us for a long time to come but he will get plenty of criticism along the way.

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I agree entirely and Rodgers is a perfect fit for us for a long time to come but he will get plenty of criticism along the way.

of course and everyone is entitled to their opinions but there are always some who seem to enjoy a good witch hunt. We will know soon enough what the players think come the transfer window.  I don't see many slapping in transfer requests somehow. There will of course be some ins and outs that is expected, and there will plenty of media stirring as per but i think the core of this brilliant young squad, and the manager are likely to still be here come next season, hopefully with a couple of quality additions.

In tough times we should be showing our support for the long term project not calling for heads after what has been an exceptionally challenging time for all

• Like 1

My problem is I don't like managers that talk in a somewhat patronising way.

I think most fans can not only take the truth as in the good with the bad but can also see with their own eyes when the team has under performed and frankly did not deserve to or even look like they could have won a game when clearly they were 2nd best for large sections of the game.

I know there are reasons to look for the positives after a poor result/performance but there's no need to go so far that you feel like they're trying cover up or hide the poor aspects of a game. I think Rodgers has been over doing this and I feel a bit insulted.

He's starting to sound like Jack Nicholson

Cant Handle The Truth GIFs | Tenor

We can!

After all it's not as if we're strangers to poor games we're Leicester City fans we've been brought up on them .

I still wholeheartedly support him as I don't expect to be a consistent top 6 team after twelve months, it's taken Klopp 5 years to build a Championship winning team I just wish he told it how it is.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Before Christmas I would completely agree with you. However since Christmas you can not argue we have been abysmal. The stats show we would be 15th in the league. We do have a very good side, first 11 for sure. However the bench is poor. When you are fighting for something you play your best 11. Man United didnt change their team and they win comfortably.  Rodgers is very stubborn in his ideas, which I guess a manager has to be. But I think we have to be worried that his Liverpool side failed so badly when miles ahead and we look like doing the same. If you asked me would I have taken 6th before the season started of course I would have. However we know probably better than anyone that how you end a season can bode so well for you the next year. (relegation survival to league champions) if we have a current record for 15th place in the league signs are not good for next year, and add in European football with a small squad. Fans are right to questions Rodgers. Team selection and subs as we will any manager. I can not remember the high pressing, quick interchanging passing, exciting attacking football where we started the season so well. Let alone a Vardy goal or even shot, Maddison assist in open play, a header from a corner I have to go back to Wilf second game of season for that I think v Chelsea. Why not try a different corner routine like Brighton v Arsenal, change it up slightly at least. We have laboured to a side who pass the ball for the sake of passing with extremely little purpose or attacking threat. For a few games this will happen. But since Christmas there is something wrong. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, davieG said:

I think most fans can not only take the truth as in the good with the bad but can also see with their own eyes when the team has under performed and frankly did not deserve to or even look like they could have won a game when clearly they were 2nd best for large sections of the game.

I know there are reasons to look for the positives after a poor result/performance but there's no need to go so far that you feel like they're trying cover up or hide the poor aspects of a game. I think Rodgers has been over doing this and I feel a bit insulted.

We can!

After all it's not as if we're strangers to poor games we're Leicester City fans we've been brought up on them .

I still wholeheartedly support him as I don't expect to be a consistent top 6 team after twelve months, it's taken Klopp 5 years to build a Championship winning team I just wish he told it how it is.

Insulted : wow lock down has got to you David 😀😂😂😂

Just now, LinekersLugs said:

Insulted : wow lock down has got to you David 😀😂😂😂

Insulted may be a bit strong but it certainly doesn't warm me to him, I've witnessed too many LCFC managers that serve up bullshit post match reviews and I know what I see.

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

We can!

I agree with this however I think hes doing it to protect the players. He could easily come out and say we were really poor and didnt deserve to win but then that wont help the players. 

On 08/12/2019 at 12:44, LinekersLugs said:

£5m a year extra he negotiated, wow he is a savvy business man ! Good on him 

Is that a £1m for every win since?

2 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I agree with this however I think hes doing it to protect the players. He could easily come out and say we were really poor and didnt deserve to win but then that wont help the players. 

I accept that and said so in my post but I think he's going too far you can tell that by the response of a large number of fans.

I sincerely hope he makes it clear to the players in private because players do need to be told the good and the bad, how else do you improve if you don't analyse were we were bad?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Bumping this ! 

all the negativity ! 

two draws and some think the world has ended ! 

he is a fantastic manager 

We will be in the champions league next season and on our squad that’s a minor miracle ! 

the players are on the beach it’s been a problem at this club for a few years now 

in Brendan we trust 

Genuinely love the positivity! Wish I could share it. I feel certain that we are about to sink like a stone down the league table.

Edited by sdb

27 minutes ago, davieG said:

I accept that and said so in my post but I think he's going too far you can tell that by the response of a large number of fans.

I sincerely hope he makes it clear to the players in private because players do need to be told the good and the bad, how else do you improve if you don't analyse were we were bad?

Totally agree. I said after the Brighton game, I can accept losing or drawing but not playing so poorly. I'm sure it wasnt the case but it felt like there was a lack of urgency, energy and even passion against Brighton. I don't accept the empty stadium excuse or the lack of fitness as it's the same for Brighton or for any team we play. Not sure what more motivation there can be than a chance to play in the champions league. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I think he should. The players will know that anyway and if they don’t then they should do whether that is said behind closed doors or in post match comments. I’m not suggesting that he singles out individual players in front of the media but I don’t see anything wrong with statements such as we lacked attacking intent, we moved the ball to slowly, we didn’t create enough chances and we will be looking at those things. 

If we played crap I prefer an honest assessment from the manager. It gives me more confidence that he has not seen a different game to the rest of us and that efforts will be made to address the deficits. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Ofcourse it is still possible that we could finish 3rd, win the FA cup and qualify for Europe by that route, and qualify for CL directly as well!

Yeah, but not quite good enough for some on here.

Well of course but I go primarily to football matches to be entertained any trophies are a bonus and frankly I've not been entertained for a while not at individual player or team level. It doesn't mean I want Rodgers out far from it but I'm entitled  to make justifiable criticism when I'm not being entertained with little or no recognition of that fact.

• Like 2

I think football fans suffer from the medical term STMS:- short term memory syndrome!! Sure Brenda has too many David Brent-esque sayings, but he's the best manager a club the size of Leicester can get.  One month he's the messiah, then the next he's as bad as Puel!  If we don't get Chamions league I will be gutted, but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture and acknowledge that we will achieve our season's objective of european football!!