Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

Kasper will never shut up I agree but his footballing brain is entirely defensive . We need a strong leader in midfield and attack , someone who can dictate our play going forward.

I agree ..  an outfield player would be much better if we had someone that could do it ...  especially with our problem with attitude and intensity ...  someone who could walk over to a player and give him a verbal kick up the arse.  

4 hours ago, davieG said:

My problem is I don't like managers that talk in a somewhat patronising way.

I think most fans can not only take the truth as in the good with the bad but can also see with their own eyes when the team has under performed and frankly did not deserve to or even look like they could have won a game when clearly they were 2nd best for large sections of the game.

I know there are reasons to look for the positives after a poor result/performance but there's no need to go so far that you feel like they're trying cover up or hide the poor aspects of a game. I think Rodgers has been over doing this and I feel a bit insulted.

He's starting to sound like Jack Nicholson

Cant Handle The Truth GIFs | Tenor

We can!

After all it's not as if we're strangers to poor games we're Leicester City fans we've been brought up on them .

I still wholeheartedly support him as I don't expect to be a consistent top 6 team after twelve months, it's taken Klopp 5 years to build a Championship winning team I just wish he told it how it is.

My take is that Rodgers has simply learned his managing-in-England lessons well.  If you give the journos anything at all, it’s like cutting yourself and parading in front of the hounds.  They’ll attack the cut until they finally bring you down.

So BR masks things by saying the same things over and over (which are often true but tell us nothing).  You get ten “working brilliantly” for every “qualitee and intensitee” you ever got from Puel.

In his position I would do the same.  Look at Pearson -- an incredible intellect who actually wants to share his views -- and where that has got him over his career.  Even he gradually learned, the less you say the better off you are.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Maddison isn’t a part of Rodgers’ leadership group so I’d say he’s some way off being up for captain. 

I think the respect Kasper has amongst the squad he should stay captain in Wes’ absence. You also see the standards he sets himself and demands from everyone else, you need someone like that in your side. He’s one of the few players we have who clearly show they have some backbone every game. 

I think Maddison is way off captain material, he's barely able to look after himself. After Liverpool won the Premiership the other day I've heard several of their players being interviewed. In all of their players, of different ages, you could detect a certain steeliness and dedicated winning mentality,  presumably instilled by Pep. In comparison,  however decent a player he may be, Maddison comes over as an immature, childish gangsta wannabe not so focussed chump. There's plenty like him out there who have the potential to be very special but lack the required focus, attitude and dedication. At this point in time, he's nowhere near being a leader of men. He could go either way. There's a reason why Southgate keeps overlooking him.

• Thanks 1

Missing out on Champions League from such a strong position would be a dent on Rodgers reputation. Added to his Liverpool replacement winning the league.

No denying he has done well. 3rd Place in the league at this stage is very good going let's be fair about it.  

But If we don't make top 4 there could be an air of depsondency going into next season and it could end up like it did at Liverpool for B-Rod.

Guest An Sionnach
4 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Only 1 who should be in the reckoning for captaincy is Evans. 
Another great point someone else said in a different topic was to name a signing brendan has made which has improved the starting XI. 

Pereira, Evans , Soyuncu , Ndidi and Vardy can barely be improved on , its getting a squad of reliable back up players to support them of sound premiership quality . The cost of players as good as those five would be astronomical.

12 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think Maddison is way off captain material, he's barely able to look after himself. After Liverpool won the Premiership the other day I've heard several of their players being interviewed. In all of their players, of different ages, you could detect a certain steeliness and dedicated winning mentality,  presumably instilled by Pep. In comparison,  however decent a player he may be, Maddison comes over as an immature, childish gangsta wannabe not so focussed chump. There's plenty like him out there who have the potential to be very special but lack the required focus, attitude and dedication. At this point in time, he's nowhere near being a leader of men. He could go either way. There's a reason why Southgate keeps overlooking him.

If you think "Pep" instilled that mentality in Liverpool, I can see how you think James Maddison is a "childish gangsta wannabe chump". 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blue ROI said:

Missing out on Champions League from such a strong position would be a dent on Rodgers reputation. Added to his Liverpool replacement winning the league.

No denying he has done well. 3rd Place in the league at this stage is very good going let's be fair about it.  

But If we don't make top 4 there could be an air of depsondency going into next season and it could end up like it did at Liverpool for B-Rod.

All I’d say is the pandemic has completely changed things ..  in terms of the break, teams getting players back and no fans ...   it seems to have had much more of an effect on us than others.    Not an excuse ..   just an observation.

47 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Are you sure you didn’t start correcting his grammar ...   cus that’s a fookin long way to walk to get away from you ...    :)

I leave grammar correction to others now. It's hard enough dealing with cognitive dissonance.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, KingsX said:

My take is that Rodgers has simply learned his managing-in-England lessons well.  If you give the journos anything at all, it’s like cutting yourself and parading in front of the hounds.  They’ll attack the cut until they finally bring you down.

So BR masks things by saying the same things over and over (which are often true but tell us nothing).  You get ten “working brilliantly” for every “qualitee and intensitee” you ever got from Puel.

In his position I would do the same.  Look at Pearson -- an incredible intellect who actually wants to share his views -- and where that has got him over his career.  Even he gradually learned, the less you say the better off you are.

Yeah I understand and fully accept that. That's why I said he's gone to far in saying the good but ignoring the bad, If we fall away now the media will cut him apart anyway they've done it to him before.

Even if he said something along the lines of 'that was to close to a defeat for comfort and is something we need to address quickly.'

It's all his never ending plaudits and platitudes when we've obviously been 2nd rate we've had enough genuinely crap managers following that line.

Guest An Sionnach
4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think your being a bit harsh on Maddison there, he clearly likes his clobber and is a bit of a lad, but I don’t think he’s not a dedicated pro. He comes across well whenever he speaks, confident lad but not got a chip on his shoulder.

He’s not captain material but he doesn’t seem a twat either. He’s been one of our more consistent performers this season, even if he doesn’t change the game you know he’s got a good through ball in him or can play the little give and goes. 

Getting carried away with all the England - media crap definitely damaged his play but we all know what he can do at his best.

56 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

OK, I see, thanks.

Corners, Set Pieces, Crossing into the box, yeah, totally agree with this. It's tricky to watch when crosses go into the box and we could bet our houses upon the outcome. That said, would that really be a Brendan directive? not sure, but I guess you're frustrated as to why he does not stamp it out and manage better options. 

I think playing out from the back has to be done, but yes, with purpose and vision. 

I think he's been really flexible and progressive with style, tactics, systems and I'm not swung by the "no plan B" argument. 

He's definitely been conservative with subs all season, but I think very subtle Plan B, C and D's have been implanted throughout games this season. I guess he's just reluctant to try Plan A (llardyce) and go long, not saying you've requested that, but I'm sure I've felt quite a few on here wanting that as a brutal Plan B. 

I do understand the "stubborn" comparison, but for now, I still believe he possesses the knowledge and quality to allow himself to be. 

I certainly believe any potential player stubbornness and awkwardness to adapt to new systems will be dealt with more patience than Puel had. 

You might be right are the set pieces a Brendan Directive. I would guess Rodgers organises these the way he wants as a manager, but of course I do not know this to be the case. It is highly frustrating watching us have numerous corners and know we will usually have to defend a counter attack from our own set piece. I would like us to try something different, just vary it up once or twice to keep opponents guessing, this might create space in the box for when we do cross. 

Playing out from the back I like, its a great way to play. However look at how we play as we all get to watch every game, and compare us with Wolves. How many times do we pass Evans to soynucu to a full back. This is too slow and pedestrian. Compare with Wolves today, Coady gets the ball and doesn't look for another cb, instead penetrating pass to a wing back who is in a structure. This completely unbalances the opponents. That is coaching.. 

I agree he has played a few formations this year 4-1-4-1 / 3-5-2 / 4-2-3-1 with Mendy and Ndidi, usually preferring 4-1-4-1. our approach doesn't have to be route 1, start of season we were using quick combination play, 3rd man running, full backs pushing forward to support, more than 1 player in the penalty box making runs.  I dont understand the change to our more laboured approach since Christmas. It has not been a short dip in form since Covid break. Its a prolonged 15 games where we have been extremely dull and at the moment we are 15th in the league (on current form), which for me is no way near good enough for our starting 11. 

I definitely agree he posses the knowledge and knowhow as a coach, he is very highly regarded in the game and far better than myself as just a fan of our club. However I do fear when things actually matter his own stubbornness or, that maybe be the wrong term, something seems to go wrong. We are not the first side that his teams seem to lose a lead, Liverpool miles ahead and lost the league, we were 13 points at Christmas as well and look like losing that. A plan B doesn't have to be route 1, as we dont have the players for this. But he needs to make some changes when the games are not going our way or changes to go and win the game. And not just like for like Gray or Perez for Barnes for example. 

Edited by Unique FC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, urban fox said:

I agree that kasper, as one of the senior players, obviously has respect and is certainly vocal. However, I have never been a fan of keepers or strikers as captain. To often isolated in their own part of the pitch to influence the game. Much prefer a defender or central midfielder. Don't really think madder is captain material.  My pick would be Evans and maybe longer term Wilf or YT

Evans should be captain, no doubt about it. Kasper is vocal on the pitch but I'd say Evans is the most vocal outfield player. He has the winning mentality too, look at how the players were celebrating our 8th at Southampton but Evans was shouting to them to get the ball. He's won league titles and previously captained WBA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Pereira, Evans , Soyuncu , Ndidi and Vardy can barely be improved on , its getting a squad of reliable back up players to support them of sound premiership quality . The cost of players as good as those five would be astronomical.

I would be looking at the other positions within the starting XI. I still think were lacking creativity out wide. 

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Easy question to answer, Perez and Tielemans both improve the quality of our starting 11. 

Whenever we play without either the ball moves so much slower than with them in. 

You can argue that tielemans was a puel signing. I know that’s not popular on here. Also imo Pérez has been hit and miss. Better options with barnes and albrighton. 

3 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

You can argue that tielemans was a puel signing. I know that’s not popular on here. Also imo Pérez has been hit and miss. Better options with barnes and albrighton. 

He was, no argument there. Rodgers wanted John McGinn but as Villa came up that didn't happen.

34 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Totally agree.

The post match manager speech is one of the dullest format points of the whole spectacle. 

Utterly pointless and pure political styled answering. 

It's no different to an MP on Question Time and It's just a chance for a reporter/journo to sound interesting and/or smart.

It should be scrapped and replaced with a panel including fan reps asking the questions, ref to be present as well. 

45 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Easy question to answer, Perez and Tielemans both improve the quality of our starting 11. 

Whenever we play without either the ball moves so much slower than with them in. 

...jury still out on Perez and Tielemans was here on loan prior to Brendan arriving!!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Obvs Tielemans was here already, but Brendan still could’ve decided he didn’t want to sign him (which would’ve been stupid - obvious as well) 

The question as well was ‘have they improved the starting 11?’ Pérez has come in and been a part of our success this season and had double digits for goal contributions. Think it’s obvious he’s improved our starting 11, even if people would prefer a more out and out winger on the right, he’s a decent player. 

...Rodgers would not have had an option in securing the Tielemans deal, the club also procures players not necessarily with the consent of the manager!!!

They have both contributed to the early success in the season but Perez is questionable for the price we paid.

18 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

£16m with add ons that could rise for £30m is market value for his goal contributions really. I’m not saying you in particular, but people really need to take a look at Ayoze for what he is and also the difference in some of our attacking play without him. 

He’s got two things that our other wingers aren’t great at and that’s movement without the ball and linking up well with others when he does have it. It’s no coincidence that Ricardo has reached new levels with Pérez in front of him, or that there is more space for Vardy and Barnes’ direct running with him in the side.

It’s not his fault either he’s not blessed with natural pace otherwise he would be a perfect fit - physically is where he is let down and that is sometimes why he can go missing here and there in some Premier League games. Only issue is sometimes with him that he is very good at keeping it simple but won’t be someone to create something out of nothing, we’ve relied on Barnes to provide that X factor but it’s a lot of pressure on a youngster in his first full season with the first team. 

I still think we need another wide player who can provide that ‘wow’ factor but Pérez isn’t the problem and he’s categorically, most certainly improved us as a side with his addition. 

...not too sure about this!!!!

• Like 3

Perez has not been a good value buy, at all, it was a typically inflated buy that you get for buying from the Premier League - where every team in the league is loaded and has no desire to sell unless they're made a silly offer.

I am not writing Perez off as a player but I'm far from convinced he's the right fit, and he isn't what we needed. He hasn't fixed the problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Perez has not been a good value buy, at all, it was a typically inflated buy that you get for buying from the Premier League - where every team in the league is loaded and has no desire to sell unless they're made a silly offer.

I am not writing Perez off as a player but I'm far from convinced he's the right fit, and he isn't what we needed. He hasn't fixed the problem.

I still partly think we couldn't get in a proper winger so he went for Perez just as a small time fix. The signing seemed to come out of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, I like Perez and I think he's a good player (very good close control) but he doesn't fit us in that wide position. I'd like him to be central but then you loose Maddison of course.

Edited by Fox92

4 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

£16m with add ons that could rise for £30m is market value for his goal contributions really. I’m not saying you in particular, but people really need to take a look at Ayoze for what he is and also the difference in some of our attacking play without him. 

He’s got two things that our other wingers aren’t great at and that’s movement without the ball and linking up well with others when he does have it. It’s no coincidence that Ricardo has reached new levels with Pérez in front of him, or that there is more space for Vardy and Barnes’ direct running with him in the side.

It’s not his fault either he’s not blessed with natural pace otherwise he would be a perfect fit - physically is where he is let down and that is sometimes why he can go missing here and there in some Premier League games. Only issue is sometimes with him that he is very good at keeping it simple but won’t be someone to create something out of nothing, we’ve relied on Barnes to provide that X factor but it’s a lot of pressure on a youngster in his first full season with the first team. 

I still think we need another wide player who can provide that ‘wow’ factor but Pérez isn’t the problem and he’s categorically, most certainly improved us as a side with his addition. 

It is probably a coincidence because Ricky has improved each season (in fact, each week and each game) he’s been here. Not exactly sure how Perez almost always going missing in the defensive non-possession phase or falling over at the slightest breeze from an opposition has contributed to Ricky’s continued ascent as a player.

With all due respect, that two things happen at the same time does not necessarily there’s a causative relationship.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Thanks 2