Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No need to apologise, wasn't having a go, sir. 

The written press were joking that Paul Doyle had to quickly rewrite his Guardian piece when the radio quotes came to light.

No worries, just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on any toes!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cstrafe said:

No worries, just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on any toes!

No toes stepped on at all. I'm not precious about these things anyway.

Unless you have a cracking exclusive to yourself, which rarely happens immediately post match, usually the press and media guys work together with sharing quotes. Sometimes there's an embargo though. 

Five Live led off the Rodgers interview (with my questions after three minutes or so) and it was vice versa with Marco Silva. Teamwork etc.

There might be rivalry between 5Live and talkSPORT at senior level but the reporters on the ground (bar one or two exceptions) often operate like this, unless one of the stations has commentary rights to that particular game and they generally lead off the questions on both managers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No toes stepped on at all. I'm not precious about these things anyway.

Unless you have a cracking exclusive to yourself, which rarely happens immediately post match, usually the press and media guys work together with sharing quotes. Sometimes there's an embargo though. 

Five Live led off the Rodgers interview (with my questions after three minutes or so) and it was vice versa with Marco Silva. Teamwork etc.

There might be rivalry between 5Live and talkSPORT at senior level but the reporters on the ground (bar one or two exceptions) often operate like this, unless one of the stations has commentary rights to that particular game and they generally lead off the questions on both managers.

Gotcha. Appreciate the info.

It's sad how others use only bits of the quotes you guys get to stir up controversy and drama. 

19 minutes ago, Joefox said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if he pushes to move tbh.

I don't think he's that mad to go this season. Arsenal is a Man United-like poisoned chalice at the moment. With us, he has a free ride with us as supporters and press to just achieve the best he can without real pressure. Despite his Celtic record, and now this season to date, he is still scrutinised because of his Liverpool days. A few fallow months at Arsenal won't be a good thing in light of that and Man United could still be on the horizon as a job come the summer too. Let's hope he stays for this season at least. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

4 hours ago, Albert said:

There’s more chance of us sacking Rodgers & replacing him with Peter Taylor on Christmas Day than there is of him being Arsenal’s next manager......

the mere mention of PT simply isn’t funny @albert !  I could have just about coped with Craig Levein ........

take note everyone ............

8 hours ago, Mendi said:

Brendan Rodgers appeared to rule himself out of contention for the Arsenal job despite confirming there is a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave Leicester.

Why has he put this clause in his deal for ?

tbf to him he said most managers have clauses in their contract's, although that can mean anything, as clauses can be a range of things, not just release ones, 

on the whole BR arsenal thing, id be surprised if he went, i think theyll go for someone very left field so to speak

Edited by FrankieADZ

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I don't think he's that mad to go this season. Arsenal is a Man United-like poisoned chalice at the moment. With us, he has a free ride with us as supporters and press to just achieve the best he can without real pressure. Despite his Celtic record, and now this season to date, he is still scrutinised because of his Liverpool days. A few fallow months at Arsenal won't be a good thing in light of that and Man United could still be on the horizon as a job come the summer too. Let's hope he stays for this season at least. 

He almost won a league with Liverpool, he was then blown into the shite house by that racist Suarez 

59 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Finishing top 4 with us will be a much greater achievement that anything at Arsenal, plus they need 4 transfer windows to sort themselves out 

If he manages to win the league (basically impossible) with arsenal then that’s a bigger achievement. We’ve probably got the 4th best team in the league, I wouldn’t say we are over achieving at all. We are that good. 

As far as I'm aware, we don't put release clauses into player contracts any more, since kante left, which is why we can keep players and get top dollar when we we sell.  So if this is still the case, I'm a little surprised we put a release clause into the manager contract.  I don't think Rodgers will go at the moment, but maybe in the summer if a so called  "big club" comes  knocking on his door, he may be tempted. He certainly doesn't help put things to bed with his words though. Talking about the question being "hypothetical" is like saying, I don't have a decision to make at the moment, and saying that his focus is on Leicester "at this time, as I stand here now", is also not him ruling anything out either. Football is a funny world and there is not much loyalty in it, apart from the fans, and money talks too so who knows, but he would probably regret leaving now in the long term, never knowing just how far he could have took us if he had stayed. If he did go then his heart was never really with the club was it, so it would just be onto the next one, and hopefully one who can see a bigger picture.

Guest An Sionnach
12 hours ago, martyn said:

I'm less concerned about Arsenal than if Man Utd were to sack Solskjaer.

Any ex-Liverpool manager who went on to manage the irredeemable enemy would surely have a death wish.This club is bigger than any manager or player remember. We made mistakes after the title winning season but that will not happen again. This team is far too good to be totally reliant on managerial tactics. I think Rodgers is now doing a very good job, but at the beginning of the season it didn't look like it. At the moment this team could win matches with any reasonably competent manager.

Edited by An Sionnach

17 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Brendan was asked the question by Geoff Peters "are you staying at Leicester " his answer was "yes, very much so" 

That seems pretty conclusive to me that he is going nowhere, the national media won't put that in the headlines as that won't sell papers or generate clicks. 

Yes, and as for revealing the clause in his contract, he was specifically asked if there was one. What was he supposed to do, lie?

If I read Brendan Rogers correctly he is an ambitious man who would like to reach the very peak of his profession.  I doubt that we will have him long term but I think we'll have him for long enough for him to put success on his CV.

He has a string of achievements at Celtic but could only have had more of the same by staying there.  He wants achievement in the PL, and getting City to a Champions League place or winning a domestic trophy would count as that.  Getting the league title would be outstanding, unfortunately no matter what he does this season the likelihood is that it's Liverpool's to lose.  So we're going to keep him until he's happy with his achievements and a truly golden opportunity presents itself.

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Brendan has a clause he said...I’d be worried if I was a Leicester fan...

Chris, I would be worried if you went into a mental institution as you would never get out. No one cares what you say other than for a laugh.

• Like 1

I'm probably over-thinking all this and of course it's all distilling stuff from ifs and buts and maybes and unreliable narrative but wasn't it reported that Spurs were interested in BR when Poch was being lined up for the chop but concluded that it would be impossible to dislodge him?

Why was that (and assuming that Top would not agree to release him)?

- either it would cost too much (and yet £14 mill City are reputedly seeking to pay up his contract   is less than a year's salary for Mourinho so probably not that.)

-BR told Spurs he wasn't interested in them (understandable they would't want to make that public knowledge and are happy to put the best spin on it)

BR's  rather coquettish response to the interest from Arsenal smacks of "not just yet" rather "not at any time". Why, otherwise was it impossible for Spurs but seemingly less so for Arsenal? Its entirely possible that the Arsenal board will also reach the conclusion that getting him would be similarly impossible for them but haven't shown their hand yet.

Anyhow - I've decided now to join the ranks of "que sera sera " and "fate will decide" on all  football matters  (offer expires 4th December)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, and as for revealing the clause in his contract, he was specifically asked if there was one. What was he supposed to do, lie?

He could have adopted the politician's approach and answered a different question to the one he was asked.