Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

Stick with him, by all accounts this is still a successful season despite recent form. Semi final of the league cup, quarter final of the FA Cup and some form of European football (just hoping it's the one we want).

We've simply been figured out and we don't have the personnel to change this, it will only be the same problem the next manager will come in and face, so whereas we have a manager whose living it now and despite what others think, is still an excellent choice... let him address the problem in a transfer window.

It's clear as day what our problem is, we don't have enough goals anywhere else in the team and when a team shuts out our star striker, we're stumped. It's going to be one almighty job to replace Vardy as it is, but we need to bring in someone who understands they will play second fiddle to him.

One player who we could probably get, and would be a different dimension is someone like Oliver Giroud, he wants out and he's the sort of striker we're crying out for in games like yesterdays second half.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Ok so if Brendan left, who would be a suitable manager? I don’t think there’s a lot of options. Brendan has done well by and large. I want him to have the opportunity to get us of this slump and see if he can keep progressing the young team.

As you said options are very limited. Rodgers is highly regarded and we paid 8million for him. He is on a big contract, I can not see our owners removing him at all. How we started the season was incredible and exactly the football I am so proud to watch Leicester play. His failure in January to not sign anyone was a big problem, and his tactics have been woeful for a while. However, I can not think of a better manager out there though for a long term position. We could get a quick fix and get the initial manager bounce we seem to have every new manager. Do we go back to Pearson who seemed to fit our club well, or try new and go Howe but then he looks like getting Bournemouth relegated. I would keep Rodgers, but he needs to analyse his own performances as well as the teams as his decisions and game management have been baffling. 

1 minute ago, NeilLCFC said:

What? Did you mean half of half a dozen? Wouldn’t expect any less from someone who thinks BR has been doing a great job since December.

I take it you're not a fan? Who you going to replace him with then? 

We are massively punching above our weight in the league, we need to strengthen but we can't currently the teams around us have a lot bigger and better squads and the break has helped them get players back. If we finish 7th so be it. It would be disappointing yes but it shows for us to get to the next level we need a better squad and I would fully back Top and Co and Brendan and his team to get the right players in. 

I've said it before and will say it again winning the league was the best and one of the worst things ever for a lcfc fan. 

38 minutes ago, teblin said:

Do you remember when this happened under Pearson twice.

we were top or 2nd in the championship, had a bad run then got into the playoffs on the last day, the next season we won the league.

they again when we were bottom of the league, we had a scrappy goal by king that sparked us to our survival. And we all know what happened the next season.

we just need a win then I’m sure we will be fine. I know it’s a bit if but if we get 2 wins this week. 6 points with 5 games left will look better.

so you're saying...we're winning the league next season?! nice

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I take it you're not a fan? Who you going to replace him with then? 

We are massively punching above our weight in the league, we need to strengthen but we can't currently the teams around us have a lot bigger and better squads and the break has helped them get players back. If we finish 7th so be it. It would be disappointing yes but it shows for us to get to the next level we need a better squad and I would fully back Top and Co and Brendan and his team to get the right players in. 

I've said it before and will say it again winning the league was the best and one of the worst things ever for a lcfc fan. 

I don't think many people would be overly disappointed with top 7, yes it's not ideal, but it would have represented a good performance at the start of the campaign. I think what we're concerned with is if we extrapolated our 2020 form over a whole season we might actually be in trouble.

Edited by shade

9 minutes ago, shade said:

I don't think many people would be overly disappointed with top 7, yes it's not ideal, but it would have represented a good performance at the start of the campaign. I think what we're concerned with is if we extrapolated our 2020 form over a whole season we might actually be in trouble.

I think you're deluded if you think people wouldn't be overly disappointed. 

Brendan has done a lot of good but it’s clear as daylight we haven’t been at the races for some time; that’s not solely on his shoulders the players also take responsibility for our drop in form. Hopefully we can get the points we need for Champions League Qualification. The league is now our sole focus.

We in a tough place, personally I dont think there is much financial room to fix this via player personnel changes.

We pretty much maxed out on the wage bill, and I think its sell to buy on transfer fees unless the owners have a change of strategy on injecting money into the club.

We have proven though that the players we have are good enough to be better than our current form, it may well be the case been 2nd and 3rd for much of the season is an over achievement, but I dont think been 14th in form is our capability.  I think the players are better than that.

Our means of investment, is CL money, so much is riding on that in taking the club forward, I think even with CL money we likely to sell a high value player, but that would at least allow Rodgers a positive net spend and a slight increase in the wage bill.

25 minutes ago, shade said:

so you're saying...we're winning the league next season?! nice

Not quite, just no need for knee jerk reaction. 

if we can scrape the points to qualify for the champions league, then maybe just maybe we can build something.

8 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

We pretty much maxed out on the wage bill, and I think its sell to buy on transfer fees unless the owners have a change of strategy on injecting money into the club.

If we're maxed out what are we doing giving extensions out williy nilly to Morgan and Fuchs? I know they are legends, and a positive influence around the club but Jakupovic also got an extension, thats three players who will barely feature. Now along with long term deals we gave out to King, Albrighton and James not so long back, we've a number of players on contracts that don't seem justifiable. I hope we finally release Gray, Mendy, Amartey, Slimani, Ghezzal this summer because these are bound to be on high wages and it's time to move on, get whatever money we can and look to get a few decent players in at least.

4 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

If we're maxed out what are we doing giving extensions out williy nilly to Morgan and Fuchs? I know they are legends, and a positive influence around the club. But this along with long term deals we gave out to King, Albrighton and James, we've a number of players on contracts that don't seem justifiable. I hope we finally release Gray, Mendy, Amartey, Slimani, Ghezzal this summer because these are bound to be on high wages and it's time to move on, get whatever money we can and look to get a few decent players in at least.

Maxed out in terms of spend, renewing a contract without a wage increase doesnt increase the budget.

In fact keeping fuchs at his age is very likely cheaper than replacing him with someone in their mid 20s.  Keeping older players who know they just for backup is a way to lower wage bills.

Do you think morgan and fuchs are on the same or better terms than 3 seasons ago?

Also the club have been trying to get rid of some of the names you mentioned already.

Edited by Chrysalis

1 hour ago, LinekersLugs said:

We have been flying most of the season , it’s gone flat but that’s a standard thing with many in this squad , it will turn around , it’s obvious as a group they are struggling with no crowds at home the bite has gone 

if we finished 7th that’s above par for this squad we would be the best of the rest really outside the Big 6 

but I have no doubt we will Finish in top 4 we just need a win to spark us 

We've had some really dominant patches in games, but we haven't actually led in any of them barring a 2 minute spell in extra time after a frustrating match. It may not even need a win to spark us back into form, just an (early) goal and to actually be on the front foot with something to show for it. Must be frustrating for the players to have not really had anything to celebrate in the last 3 games.

Edited by Xen

21 minutes ago, Xen said:

We've had some really dominant patches in games, but we haven't actually led in any of them barring a 2 minute spell in extra time after a frustrating match. It may not even need a win to spark us back into form, just an (early) goal and to actually be on the front foot with something to show for it. Must be frustrating for the players to have not really had anything to celebrate in the last 3 games.

I think our games against Villa are perfect examples on this. In the league, we have led early on and gone on to batter then, but then in the cup as we couldnt get the early goal we struggled and laboured to break them down. 

I just think the players need a few basic truths pointing out to them. There seems to be a level of complacency that has set in this calendar year, and the slightly puzzling reaction of our manager after yesterday's defeat is a symptom of this. 

We all know things can look very different after a few decent results, but right now that seems a long way off. 

I hope I'm wrong about this, but for me the most worrying thing about yesterday was Brendan's reaction. 

Everton away suddenly seems like a massive test for us. All this stuff about wherever we finish it will have been a great season and what about when we were struggling in the Championship etc etc misses the point. To finish up with no Cup appearance at Wembley and out of the CL places from the position we were in - it would actually be a dereliction of duty. 

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

A bit like the 2012/13 season when we came back the following season and steam rollered the league?

A fairish point but we weren't in the cash rich prem then. Also to play devil's advocate I also remember Peter Taylors second full season.... 

It will probably just take a win in any form to kick start us again this season, however we do look so lacking in ideas and create pretty much nothing, which provides some level of disquiet that we may not be be capable of doing this. 

Of more concern however is the fact we desperately need to build the strength of the squad over the summer and as has been said many times already, Brendan and Congers track record in the transfer market to be overly generous is mixed. Whatever budget they are given can they actually be trusted? 

Feels like once again we're at a bit of a crossroads in the history of the club but I suppose this time at least we start from a relative position of strength. 

2 hours ago, teblin said:

Do you remember when this happened under Pearson twice.

we were top or 2nd in the championship, had a bad run then got into the playoffs on the last day, the next season we won the league.

they again when we were bottom of the league, we had a scrappy goal by king that sparked us to our survival. And we all know what happened the next season.

we just need a win then I’m sure we will be fine. I know it’s a bit if but if we get 2 wins this week. 6 points with 5 games left will look better.

To be fair, even under Pearson even if the run of results were poor the performances were rarely this dire. We were competing in games, and for a team that was adapting to the PL with the real talents still adjusting, the fight in the team was never in question. 

Now, for all our quality, we seem to just be turning up as to avoid a points deduction from no-showing. The fight of the team that was present in the two examples you provided simply isn’t there this time around which is what concerns me. 

I’m not calling for BR to go, I’m generally a football optimist but this period since December has really, really tested my resolve. Even then I’d have some faith if Brendan was to recognise “yes we have some big flaws at the minute, but we’ll work on them as a team and come back stronger”, but this complete insistence that we’re playing well and it’s all bad luck really has me worried that Brendan doesn’t have a Plan B and he’s papering the cracks with weird unhelpful adjustments to the lineup and little else.

At this point, in such a rut with Wolves flying we just need to go for it. Balls to the walls all hands on deck attack. In current form it’s not like results will get worse and maybe we’ll gain some impetus and create some half decent chances for Vardy. I’m just hoping we can get it right for Everton and save our season.

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 3

This is the premier league, the hardest league in the world. We are in  3rd position currently and have had 2 decent cup runs. We have just come out of a pandemic where football was postponed for months, we dont know what these players have lost in that time so keep an open mind in that regard. We have only had 3 games without a decent result and a majority is already coming out with the blame game and stupid pointless shit about Ben Chilwell smiling after a cup game. Maybe he smiled because he hasn't seen his friend for a long time or maybe he needed cheering up because he lost (you don't know!) This is a local lad and breaths LCFC his whole life, give him a break. We assume and speculate over a reaction and let the media tell you how it happened. Why do you always take the bait.

Yes we are disappointing and playing poorly compared to previous months but thats football nothing goes perfectly all season, just got to accept the current situ and hope we get CL football next season. Trust in BR 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shade said:

Context is needed here. The top 4 was and still ours to lose and we won't get any better chance to play the CL in the next seasons. Which would also make us more attractive in the transfer window, let alone the financial gains. You can't blow up a +15 (?) points gap and say "Oh well, it was fun while it lasted". Such an implosion isn't acceptable and there will be repercussions. Rodgers will stand under scrutiny and potential good signings might think that we just overachieved in the first half of the season and quickly reverted to our "natural" position.

That said, I can't believe some of the comments here. Wanting Rodgers head when he didn't even get a full season is ridiculous and absolutely uncalled for. Fickle as they come.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1

It runs a lot deeper than this “average squad”

Norwich defeat 

Villa cup games 

burnley defeat 

Southampton defeat 

Watford draw 

Brighton Draw

If it was just down to limitations of the squad, why has it not been the same for inferior opposition squads.

BR tactics/blueprint have been found out and the players seem to have lost the belief and confidence they had.

we finished strongly last season and form

was Top 3, started how we finished and top 3 form for 16 games, the squad didn’t suddenly become shit overnight.

if you Repeatedly can’t get a tune out of your first 11, what real chance do you have of your subs changing the game.

it would be interesting to know how many times we have come back from

being a goal down to win under BR... 

certainly in recent times.

I find this attitude of “well 7th would still be a good finish” a bit bizarre. 

In the last few years we won the Premier League, got to the Quarter Finals of the Champion’s League (and were a shoe-in for the Semis) and now we’re on the cusp of a top four finish and another Champion’s League campaign. This assumption we’re above our station and are destined to return to the doldrums are only as true as we make it. We have an excellent young first team (when it turns up!) and the backing to keep those players and invest further. We can absolutely be a team that consistently challenges top four. 

Man City never settled for 7th. They demanded their spot at the head of the table and made it happen. Yeah, we’re not historically as big a club, and don’t have such a eye-wateringly large kitty, but the current shape of Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs means we can easily compete with the big boys to always be up or around there. We absolutely should not take 7th lying down because it takes all our quality, backing and potential and says we’re alright being the best of the rest and accepting the glass ceiling until we’re decimated for talent and go the way of Stoke, Villa & Southampton who once upon a time were happy to accept being the ‘next best’.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Simoken said:

This is the premier league, the hardest league in the world. We are in  3rd position currently and have had 2 decent cup runs. We have just come out of a pandemic where football was postponed for months, we dont know what these players have lost in that time so keep an open mind in that regard. We have only had 3 games without a decent result and a majority is already coming out with the blame game and stupid pointless shit about Ben Chilwell smiling after a cup game. Maybe he smiled because he hasn't seen his friend for a long time or maybe he needed cheering up because he lost (you don't know!) This is a local lad and breaths LCFC his whole life, give him a break. We assume and speculate over a reaction and let the media tell you how it happened. Why do you always take the bait.

Yes we are disappointing and playing poorly compared to previous months but thats football nothing goes perfectly all season, just got to accept the current situ and hope we get CL football next season. Trust in BR 

only 3 games?

I understand you want to be positive, but at least get it right :) Our bad form has been for a lot longer than 3 games.

44 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

To be fair, even under Pearson even if the run of results were poor the performances were rarely this dire. We were competing in games, and for a team that was adapting to the PL with the real talents still adjusting, the fight in the team was never in question. 

Now, for all our quality, we seem to just be turning up as to avoid a points deduction from no-showing. The fight of the team that was present in the two examples you provided simply isn’t there this time around which is what concerns me. 

I’m not calling for BR to go, I’m generally a football optimist but this period since December has really, really tested my resolve. Even then I’d have some faith if Brendan was to recognise “yes we have some big flaws at the minute, but we’ll work on them as a team and come back stronger”, but this complete insistence that we’re playing well and it’s all bad luck really has me worried that Brendan doesn’t have a Plan B and he’s papering the cracks with weird unhelpful adjustments to the lineup and little else.

At this point, in such a rut with Wolves flying we just need to go for it. Balls to the walls all hands on deck attack. In current form it’s not like results will get worse and maybe we’ll gain some impetus and create some half decent chances for Vardy. I’m just hoping we can get it right for Everton and save our season.

I agree in terms of the premier league season. But the championship year where we fell from the top to about 8th, some of those were terrible. Barnsley away is the main one that springs to mind.

i just mean I’m sure this team will bounce back, maybe it needs a few additional players. We just need 3 wins and I’m sure we will be fine.