Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
twister

refs at anfield

To be honest the ref doesn't bother me as much as a senior pro making such a basic error, if it had been Barnes or Gray I could understand it.

He had two opportunities to clear the ball, one on the edge of the area and the second time when he decided to roll his foot o er the ball.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Just now, lifted*fox said:

how is it a pen? if you were walking down the high street and someone clipped the back of your ankle would you go to floor like that, rolling about and screaming? 

people say 'well, it's your right as an attacker to go down' - how is it? we've got video evidence now to show if a clip was enough to send you down, and if it isn't - it's a dive.

that's a dive. all day long. 

Can say that about every pen ever given these days.  

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

But why? Its this that i find unfair and why the words 'big club biased' is often mentioned. 

I know the ruling is 'clear and obvious' and i get that them be the rules, but surely if VAR was implemented to make it a fairer game then the 3 guys in their man cave could over-rule that decision if they had a better view and could see stuff the ref couldnt... Maybe VAR isnt the problem and the rules are? 

I dunno but im proper disappointed and delusional right now. 

I know it's unfair but that's how it is.

You're in additional time in a nervy draw with 60,000 people vociferating at you and a title contender (who didn't it for 30 years) playing at home in a game watched by tens if not hundreds of millions. Kavanagh isn't what I 'd call  a great ref and the amount of pressure was immense. We should've known better. 

I used to play in lower leagues in Germany and most of the times, the only thing the ref needs to hear is a boot clash in the box to give a pen. As a defender you have to be very careful and as an attacker you try to exploit that (I did). Albrighton slightly stomped on Mané's left foot. It was a clumsy challenge but in any other part of the field it's not a foul. In the box it's another matter.

Just now, lifted*fox said:

not being argumentative at all (honestly, lol) but no, you can't. 

plenty of penalties given for proper infringements and that today wasn't one of them. 

🤝 I’m just seething to why Albrighton didn’t just clear it rather than the actual pen right now and I can’t stand Liverpool. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

we did and marc should have got rid, but I thought the whole point of VAR was to help out referees in exactly these kinds of situations? 

I love VAR and think it's the future but the way it's used right now is a joke.

However Albrighton did lightly had a stamp on Mané's left boot. Enough for that cnut and VAR to justify the decision. If he didn't give it no one would've made a fuss though. Apart from the Scousers fans.

44 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

there really wasn't.

anyone watching the slow-motion VAR replay can see he throws himself to the ground after minor contact that wouldn't naturally cause you to throw yourself on the floor screaming and rolling about 

it's simulation, it's a dive. 

I didn't say it's enough contact for him to roll about like that, but he's caught his foot and it's not a clear and obvious error is it.

Edited by potter3

56 minutes ago, sdb said:

The Perez high foot was a killer. Flicks it over VD who's late and crouching, we're like 4 on 2 and the ref absolutely bricks it and blows up  

That one was annoying, what’s he suppose to do go in with a stooping head himself and head but him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, potter3 said:

I didn't say it's enough contact for him to roll about like that, but he's caught his foot and it's not a clear and obvious error is it.

I think this is my “game’s gone” moment because I can’t understand why this shouldn’t be a “clear and obvious error”.

Is there contact? Yes, slightly.

Is Mane impeded? Absolutely no chance.

I’ll tell you what it put me in mind of, it’s the Knockaert penalty at Watford. He was touched but in no way did that materially impede his ability to keep moving or play the ball. We got our comeuppance that day, Liverpool didn’t.

Do we really want to see penalties being given for this sort of thing? I certainly don’t, it just doesn’t feel like a foul to me, let alone one you’re giving a free shot at goal for.

Edit: That’s not to say I don’t get that different opinions exist and therefore by its nature it’s not “clear and obvious”. I just don’t think any football fan or official should be looking at that incident and thinking a foul has take place.

Edited by ttfn

1 hour ago, twister said:

becoming like it was with fergie at united

so many soft pens, salah has a million last year

that never ever ever gets given down the other end

Ref turned up  at wrong event.Should have been on The Simpsons........(Homer)

36 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Edit: That’s not to say I don’t get that different opinions exist and therefore by its nature it’s not “clear and obvious”. I just don’t think any football fan or official should be looking at that incident and thinking a foul has take place.

No, but that's the way that VAR has been implemented in this league, rightly or wrongly.

As for whether he's been impeded, Albrighton's hit his standing leg with enough force to shift the foot's position as he's gone to play the ball. I think only Mane can know whether he was actually impeded, but we can certainly agree the contact wasn't enough to bring him down like that.

5 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

We always seem to blame ref's when we lose, plenty of iffy decisions have gone our way this season, lets not be sore losers.

I get what you are saying and 99% of the time i would agree with you, i dont believe in ref conspiracy tbh. BUT today the man in black was crap. So much he didnt give to us and even listening to the commentators on NSBCN they were surprised so it wasnt a matter of blue tinted glasses. 

Im shit at remembering stuff in games but what springs to mind is the ankle cruncher on Tielemans no card. Soyuncu being pulled back by Salah - no foul, play continued. The Penalty in the 93rd min... im sure there was more, i remember remarking on it during the game. 

I've calmed right down now and i dont mind losing to Liverpool, they are a damn fine team, not even blaming the ref really as i think the better team on the day won. But the ref WAS shit and made some bad calls and its a huge call to give a soft peno at that point in the game. 

My biggest issue is VAR or not so much VAR but the rules relating to it. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

My biggest issue is VAR or not so much VAR but the rules relating to it. 

Thats it right there, the system ain’t the issue it’s the people operating the system that is the issue, the refs are standing by each other, we have had 70+ games in the premier league now using VAR apart from offsides or the new silly handball rule not one decision has been overturned and not once has a ref been to the pitch side tv to look for himself 

Edited by jammie82uk
  • Like 3

Just now, jammie82uk said:

Thats it right there, the system ain’t the issue it’s the people operating the system that is the issue, the refs are standing by each other, we have had 70+ games in the premier league now using VAR apart from offsides or the new silly handball rule not one decision has been overturned, not once has a ref been to the pitch side tv to look for himself 

it's not just the operators... though when I watch bt ut seems  "peter" agrees with every decision.

it's the rules around var ... like not overriding unless it is clear and obvious ... this means that even if the var can see the ref has made a mistake they won't overrule if it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake.... so they ignore the truth.  this is mad coz surely we can only respect var if it is a beacon for truth.... and not acquiessessing in burying red errors

like not intervening in fouls where the ref gives the wrong card

it's a fig leaf to pretend the old boys network is fine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twister said:

becoming like it was with fergie at united

so many soft pens, salah has a million last year

that never ever ever gets given down the other end

Was it paisley that said Liverpool get more penalties because they spend more time in the opposition box

3 hours ago, sdb said:

The Perez high foot was a killer. Flicks it over VD who's late and crouching, we're like 4 on 2 and the ref absolutely bricks it and blows up  

I was screaming at the tele that vvd was ducking and the ball was there to be played

That’s never a pen down the other end. 

But why Kev didn’t just put his boot through the ball I don’t know. 

Ref was shocking throughout, pussied out of not blowing so many times. Nobody is going to Anfield this season and coming away with anything at this rate. 

3 hours ago, sdb said:

11 minutes ago, lanefox said:

I was screaming at the tele that vvd was ducking and the ball was there to be played

Yep 100% ridiculous especially when you compare heights as well VVD is 6ft 4 Perez is 5ft 8 

2 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

🤝 I’m just seething to why Albrighton didn’t just clear it rather than the actual pen right now and I can’t stand Liverpool. 

I like L'pool ....but Albrighton should of just cleared it the 1st & 2nd chance he had...!!! That wAS worse than any so called poor performance,from Chilwell or

any other player  some fans,enjoy jumping all over..!!!

and Albrighton is one of my favourites..!!!