Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JamesWelshFox

Worst defeats you have witnessed as a Leicester fan

In the 80’s we went to Old Trafford and lost 5-0, then the following week we lost 5-0 to Forest.

i went to the Forest game, but the worst thing was the joke that was doing the rounds after those two games.

”whats the time”

” ten past Wallington”

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mozartfox said:

2-6 away at WHam in 1974.  Today makes   You really appreciate how far we have come now not to mention the amount of pain this Club has caused me throughout my life.   But once a Fox always a 🦊 

Happy days - Rudders for a Knighthood soon.

Went to that - we scored first and last .....Frankie with both.

Hardest one for me to take was the 3-1 FA Cup semi final defeat to Liverpool in 74.

Two big defeats at Filbert St 2-6 to Brum (Kenny Burns hat-trick .... he won a car) and 0-5 to WBA.

Tremendous to think what could happen with this current team given the age profile.

Seen many abject defeats but the two 5-0's against Bolton and Aston Villa the worst. Bolton was just disgraceful, 4-0 down at half-time to an average newly promoted side is almost criminal. The Aston Villa capitulation, following on from that pathetic throwing away of a 3-1 lead in injury time at Middlesbrough, neatly summed up that season. The atmosphere became ever more hostile and poisonous.

The 5-1 defeat at Nottingham Forest wasn't pretty but it was a blip in an otherwise positive season (and we made some sort of amends in the home match). The two I've chosen were symptomatic of poor seasons where inadequate teams failed miserably against opposition that were nothing special at all.

Losing against Watford in the Championship playoffs, what an unbelievable end to the game at Vicarage Road. So close... Then a little Frenchman does that...

I was so gutted at the time, new low. But looking back, you could say it was the kick in the teeth we needed.

Speaking of playoff losses, losing against Cardiff before. Another Frenchman ruining the day... Kermorgant...

Losing to Millwall in the Cup, in the manner we did.

Losing 4-3 away at Wolves. It all seemed done and dusted at half-time... lol

Edited by MC Prussian

On 27/10/2019 at 10:48, Rob1742 said:

In the 80’s we went to Old Trafford and lost 5-0, then the following week we lost 5-0 to Forest.

i went to the Forest game, but the worst thing was the joke that was doing the rounds after those two games.

”whats the time”

” ten past Wallington”

Prior to that I think we had beaten Liverpool 2-0 and Leeds 2-1. We started to believe Jock’s words about winning the league

• Like 1

Enjoying this thread even though it brings back some painful memories. In went to most of the games home and away in the 1990/91 season for instance and there were some seriously demoralising and traumatic defeats that season but in the end it didn't matter because we stayed up on the last day.

I suppose the single most humiliating defeat I've seen was losing 5-1 at Cambridge in 1991 but that didn't matter when we got revenge in the play-off semi final a few months later and beat them 5-0. I was at the F.A. Cup match at Filbert Street against Harlow in 1979 and that was bad but it was only a draw. I don't know how many went to the replay when we did lose but that can't have been more than a few hundred, and that was forty years ago now. I was only a kid back then.

If I had to pick a defeat which  really think damaged the club and set us back years it would be the 1-2 defeat to Wycombe in the Cup in 2001, but I wasn't at that game.

So for sheer mediocrity and crapness for a game I attended, I will choose a 3-1 defeat away at Plymouth in October or November 1988. It was one of the worst performances of the David Pleat regime, played on a Tuesday night in the pouring rain. I only went because I was at Exeter University at the time so it was only a half hour training  journey for me and a chance to go to another ground. But there were probably no more than about 50 away supporters on the terrace that night and we were all looking at each other asking what the hell are we doing here? I remember talking to a couple of blokes who had come from London and didn't expect to get home until 2 in the morning and the supporters who'd come from Leicester itself faced a longer journey home. I wonder if anyone who reads this was at that match.

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
On 27/10/2019 at 10:48, Rob1742 said:

”whats the time”

” ten past Wallington”

There for both of those,  Jesus we used to be s..t.

Most painful to me was the 69 Cup Final - on chances we should have won and Clarkey was MotM - the sense of glory squandered was intense...all compounded by going to live in Manchester shortly afterwards and a heavily Man City area at that. Not that they rubbed it in. Not much they didn't...

I felt far worse after Kromorgant than I did after Deeney. Something about that 09/10 side and the connection it had with the fans after the previous season and the characters it had in it (Wayne Brown aside), we had Cardiff on the ropes and deserved to go through.

12/13 we were atrocious for four months and were clinging on against Watford and then got the dodgiest of penalties. Obviously the manner of it was absurd, but something about it hurt a lot less than Cardiff did in the days following.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceredigion said:

Enjoying this thread even though it brings back some painful memories. In went to most of the games home and away in the 1990/91 season for instance and there were some seriously demoralising and traumatic defeats that season but in the end it didn't matter because we stayed up on the last day.

I suppose the single most humiliating defeat I've seen was losing 5-1 at Cambridge in 1991 but that didn't matter when we got revenge in the play-off semi final a few months later and beat them 5-0. I was at the F.A. Cup match at Filbert Street against Harlow in 1979 and that was bad but it was only a draw. I don't know how many went to the replay when we did lose but that can't have been more than a few hundred, and that was forty years ago now. I was only a kid back then.

If I had to pick a defeat which  really think damaged the club and set us back years it would be the 1-2 defeat to Wycombe in the Cup in 2001, but I wasn't at that game.

So for sheer mediocrity and crapness for a game I attended, I will choose a 3-1 defeat away at Plymouth in October or November 1988. It was one of the worst performances of the David Pleat regime, played on a Tuesday night in the pouring rain. I only went because I was at Exeter University at the time so it was only a half hour training  journey for me and a chance to go to another ground. But there were probably no more than about 50 away supporters on the terrace that night and we were all looking at each other asking what the hell are we doing here? I remember talking to a couple of blokes who had come from London and didn't expect to get home until 2 in the morning and the supporters who'd come from Leicester itself faced a longer journey home. I wonder if anyone who reads this was at that match.

Yup was at that @ceredigion, but it was 89, was on holiday down there. With my Dad & brother, so only another 46 to find according to your numbers !! Was also at Sheff W 1-7, Newcastle 1-7, Stoke relegation 0-0, Watford Deeney, Newport last year and Porto 0-5. Do I win a prize :-)

Stoke was the worst.

But we all know it's suffering the abject ones that make the good ones great.

Stoke away, confirming relegation to League One..

Can't believe that event was actually the catalyst for major positive change, and not to mention huge success, for LCFC.

It certaily felt like oblivion at the time, but now the club is riding very high in the sky.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2019 at 07:55, Post Horn Galloper said:

I remember pre-season the esteemed Peter Taylor prophesying a top six finish and his immortal words, etched on my brain: "The lads are on fire in training".

Hmmm, signing Dennis Wise perhaps seemed like a good idea at the time! I remember going to a questions/answers night (in which PT was the main guest speaker) in Northants just across the border at Kilworth Springs Golf Club - this when we were still in the Prem's top 4 by the December (2000), having briefly been top at the end of the previous September in Taylor's first season. He was promising the earth at that meet too. Little did he know I suppose, that he would be an ex employee a year later!

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Stoke away, confirming relegation to League One..

Can't believe that event was actually the catalyst for major positive change, and not to mention huge success, for LCFC.

It certaily felt like oblivion at the time, but now the club is riding very high in the sky.

Very accurately put - and so true! It wasn't the worst ever LCFC display by any means but it was a very pivotal match in the club's history of course. Fair to say we've never really looked back since then either! :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langston said:

I felt far worse after Kromorgant than I did after Deeney. Something about that 09/10 side and the connection it had with the fans after the previous season and the characters it had in it (Wayne Brown aside), we had Cardiff on the ropes and deserved to go through.

12/13 we were atrocious for four months and were clinging on against Watford and then got the dodgiest of penalties. Obviously the manner of it was absurd, but something about it hurt a lot less than Cardiff did in the days following.

I thought Wayne Brown was definitely the Soyuncu of the gallant 2009-10 season and that he was a wee bit stitched up and scapegoated by Pearson for his alleged comments at the time (and/or honesty), personally!  

Has anybody mentioned the FAC R3 defeat away to Newport last season? - as I haven't spotted it as of yet! I dare say it wasn't seen so much of a shock, not only because the FA  Cup has lost so much prestige over the last decade or so but because of the weak side Puel put out! Still embarrassing all the same! 

Arsenal away 1999 is a bad one. Someone offered me two tickets so I told my 12 year old Arsenal supporting niece that I'd take her to her first football match and she was ecstatic. When I went to collect the tickets the guy no longer had them. I ended up paying about five times face value to get two tickets.

We were 5 down after 48 minutes and I had to stay super cool and say stuff like: "That was a good goal from Ray Parlour".

Never again!

• Haha 2