Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JamesWelshFox

Worst defeats you have witnessed as a Leicester fan

First Leicester game I ever saw on TV was the 7-1 defeat at Newcastle..., 92-93 I think, not the best introduction to City.

Worst I attended was the 0-5 Bolton game in 2001. First game of the season after the miserable end to the previous one (Wycombe), at home to a newly promoted team.

Shocking. I remember one fan at half-time leaving saying he was going to "go get ****ing drunk" lol

Attended 4 heavy defeats.

4-1 to United in 03/04. A very bleak day. Men against boys. Way out of our depth. In the clubs worst era.

5-1 t Forest in 09/10. Bad for sure but not the worst. We were starting to emerge from our lost decade.

6-1 to Spurs in 16/17. The beginning of the end for Shakey. Easier to take give the title win and with it being just after the Champions League.

4-1 to Palace in 2018/19. Torture losing to Palace for the 4th time in a row. Claude's last stand. Turned out to be no bad thing. Look at em now :brendan_still:

4-0 Bolton - first game of Taylor’s second season. The manner of the defeat was embarassing.

4-0 at the City Ground 93/94 I think it was. Lars Bohinen scores two identical goals if I remember. Both times our keeper (I think it was Poole) came out of the goal and kicked it straight to him. They were second in the league, we were top 6. We looked miles apart.

6-1 Pompey under Sousa - we were broken. So sad after we looked really good the season before. 

Not a hammering but the result was so bad given the context - 3-0 defeat at home to Derby in our relegation season under Bassett.

There has been loads...but loads of great results too.

8 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Not a hammering but the result was so bad given the context - 3-0 defeat at home to Derby in our relegation season under Bassett.

Yeah this is one I think of when I think of terrible defeats. We were looking pretty doomed but the little bit of hope inside tells you that if we can beat an equally terrible Derby side just above us we might just get out of it. I bloody hated Derby at the time and they are indeed terrible, but we manage to be worse. I think we were 2 0 down with about 20 minutes to go and somebody like Kinkladze turns Savage inside out and puts him on his arse. I'm not proud that I walked but I did. Horrible season, horrible game.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tuna said:

First Leicester game I ever saw on TV was the 7-1 defeat at Newcastle..., 92-93 I think, not the best introduction to City.

Worst I attended was the 0-5 Bolton game in 2001. First game of the season after the miserable end to the previous one (Wycombe), at home to a newly promoted team.

Shocking. I remember one fan at half-time leaving saying he was going to "go get ****ing drunk" lol

I agree with both of these. The 7-1 at Newcastle was the last game of the season but before the playoffs in the Brian Little days. We recovered to beat Portsmouth over two legs then I think we lost the final to Swindon. 

The 0-5 to Bolton was completely abject, I was stunned and it signalled the end of the Peter Taylor reign, thank goodness!

The 7-1 defeat v Wednesday in the league Cup was tough but when Bobby Davidson scored, our end was superb😄😄

I think some of the defeats under SGE in that championship season were hard to take. 

Milllllll, Reading and Barnsley spring to mind as I was trying hard to bully my kids to support Leicester. 

Very difficult at times😒

Guest Eamonn

I saw a 5-0 loss to Forest in the 80s, at the sh*tty ground. That wasn't fun. Can't remember much about it, thankfully.

My brother took his kids to see City v Birmingham about 15 years ago. It wss their first game, they live in France. We lost 3-1 and were dismal.  His (then) young son said to ne on the way out, 'next time can we go to Old Trafford '. That was gutting.

Edited by Eamonn
typo

49 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

The game before THAT Stoke game in 07/08 at home to Sheffield Wednesday. The club does a massive promotion and to support the team against relegation it draws in our biggest home crowd of 31,000 plus for that season. The atmosphere at the start is awesome and then Hume scores to take us 1-0 up. We then proceed to lose 3-1 and have the wind taken out of us. For me that was one of the worst games as we had real tangible hope before it got crushed. I never expected us to get anything from Stoke. What a horrible, horrible day.

I agree with this. I’ve never felt as low walking away from the ground as I did after that Sheffield Wednesday defeat. It was the realisation that 3rd Tier might actually happen. I’d always thought we’d escape before then.

Biggest defeat I’ve witnessed in terms of score was the 7-1 Sheffield Wednesday league cup one. I even left the ground at 7-0 down and missed the Bobby Davison consolation goal. But in terms of expectation that defeat didn’t hurt me as much as others. We were pretty poor back then and Wednesday had a really good side. 

The two successive play-off defeats to Blackburn and, even worse, Swindon, were the most painful.

Only that 2-1 loss at Arsenal in the title-winning season comes close in terms of utter despair. Liverpool this season was horrible too.

I can take a heavy defeat but not an unjust one, especially when you lose it so late you can’t retaliate.

1 hour ago, Fox in the North said:

The game before THAT Stoke game in 07/08 at home to Sheffield Wednesday. The club does a massive promotion and to support the team against relegation it draws in our biggest home crowd of 31,000 plus for that season. The atmosphere at the start is awesome and then Hume scores to take us 1-0 up. We then proceed to lose 3-1 and have the wind taken out of us. For me that was one of the worst games as we had real tangible hope before it got crushed. I never expected us to get anything from Stoke. What a horrible, horrible day.

I remember a Wednesday fan saying to me on the way to the ground that we'd win and avoid relegation. I'd watched us all season and knew we were heading for League 1. 

2-6 away at WHam in 1974.  Today makes   You really appreciate how far we have come now not to mention the amount of pain this Club has caused me throughout my life.   But once a Fox always a 🦊 

Happy days - Rudders for a Knighthood soon.

46 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

6-1 Pompey. Seeing Michael Brown channel Messi was a blow. 

I thought I’d never going Fratton again. Ended up going the season after 1-1 under Sven and they went down that season 

Season after was Pearson wasn't it? Or have I completely misremembered that? I probably have. Kasper pulled off an unreal stop