Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deeg67

Dwight McNeil

Pinch of salt, indeed. He’s on a long term contract (2023, with an option of another year); Burnley will be very protective of him and demand as much as possible.

18 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Always wary of stories linking us and the usual Everton, Wolves, West Ham combo. 

This. How many actually came true? And how many who ended up at the others actually ended up being decent?

• Like 1

BBC's gossip column is a terrible source, but that doesn't really matter to be honest at this point of the season any transfer rumours are probably bullshit. 

That said, Burnley have him signed until 23 I doubt they'd sell him without a fight, especially considering they wanted Tarkowski sold for £50 million

6 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

BBC's gossip column is a terrible source, but that doesn't really matter to be honest at this point of the season any transfer rumours are probably bullshit. 

That said, Burnley have him signed until 23 I doubt they'd sell him without a fight, especially considering they wanted Tarkowski sold for £50 million

And fair enough, I may not like the way Burnley play, but if it works for them with their constraints, fair enough (and even Gravel Gob no longer annoys me since he has become a caricature of himself)

I'd usually be all for signing top, young English talent like McNeil but for me the big name first team winger who can put up Mahrez numbers is the missing piece of the puzzle in the first team. Perez's form has been better in the last 3-4 weeks or so, Barnes is younger and maturing as a player under Rodgers, so to Gray and Albrighton is the more senior squad rotation option. To improve on that it needs to be a top level winger.

That might not be attainable, in which case I'd not turn my nose up at McNeil as he's a clear talent but one we'd have to afford more time to at this stage.

2 hours ago, LCCFox96 said:

I'd usually be all for signing top, young English talent like McNeil but for me the big name first team winger who can put up Mahrez numbers is the missing piece of the puzzle in the first team. Perez's form has been better in the last 3-4 weeks or so, Barnes is younger and maturing as a player under Rodgers, so to Gray and Albrighton is the more senior squad rotation option. To improve on that it needs to be a top level winger.

That might not be attainable, in which case I'd not turn my nose up at McNeil as he's a clear talent but one we'd have to afford more time to at this stage.

Maybe McNeil could be that guy? Mahrez didn`t put up those numbers when arrived.

On 04/11/2019 at 08:43, Blanchflower78 said:

Next winger we sign must be an instant impact player. Doesn't mean he cant be young but no point in adding just potential for another day.

I think a 'ready made' would cost more than we'd be willing to pay and it's not our style anymore thankfully. In any case there is a risk ie many on here were screaming for the next foreign wonder winger in the summer in the form of Sarr ... he's ripping it up isn't he. I'd sooner give Barnes, and Gray more time with Albrighton there also. Whilst 10+ goal wingers exist they are quite rare and expensive off the shelf ready to go. Can't think of one myself in our price range gagging to come.

On 05/11/2019 at 13:44, Dahnsouff said:

Maybe McNeil could be that guy? Mahrez didn`t put up those numbers when arrived.

He certainly could be but that was my point really - he needs the time to develop when we already have Barnes and Gray (albeit Gray seems to be progressing slower). If 2013/14 Mahrez arrived at Leicester now we wouldn't necessarily have the luxury of time to give him the minutes. Imo, the new winger has to be an improvement on the first 11 now and really take the team up a gear. McNeil is a talent but isn't that player at this stage of his career.

1 minute ago, LCCFox96 said:

He certainly could be but that was my point really - he needs the time to develop when we already have Barnes and Gray (albeit Gray seems to be progressing slower). If 2013/14 Mahrez arrived at Leicester now we wouldn't necessarily have the luxury of time to give him the minutes. Imo, the new winger has to be an improvement on the first 11 now and really take the team up a gear. McNeil is a talent but isn't that player at this stage of his career.

Its a tough one for sure. In the summer, I am sure a lot would have said Pepe or Sarr would be those types of signings, and with us, they may have been, but they also may not and been just as underwhelming as they currently appear to be.

Scouting is a great sounding, but actually a tough bloody job I reckon, and I am glad it is not mine!

So maybe its sometimes worth a bit more patience than we like to give, I mean look at Barnes now, hopefully Gray soon, then JJ, then??? :dunno: