Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

England squad announcement - Euro 2020 qualifiers 07/11

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Apparently each national stadium will host their own country at least twice in the group stages so England will be at Wembley for at least two and hopefully all three of their group matches.

Sounds a bit complicated but seeing as both semi's and the final are also at Wembley, UEFA might as well have held the whole tournament here really.

http://www.wembleystadium.com/uefa-euro-2020/overview

It seems that if we win our group next summer, it'll be a last 16 game in Dublin, followed by Rome for the QF's, then Wembley have both semi's and the final. Were we to finish 2nd in our group then it would be Copenhagen in the last 16 and Saint Petersburg for the QF's. I think there's other variations if we were to come 3rd in our group and still get through to the knockouts, but surely we aren't that crap.

Dublin on June 30th has the potential to be the swig of all swigs. I'm booking flights.

• Like 2

I didn't get the boos for Gomez, I don't read the tabloids but no doubt they've been applying layers of hype and putting different contexts on the original incident. You might expect club loyalty from the fans i.e. Stirlings clubs fans booing perhaps ironically towards Gomez. But they are Man City fans. As we know, Man City fans don't make any noise. So who was booing? The "club England" brigade who perhaps in terms of recent impact see Stirling as the more crucial of the two players but that's not how you sort out these situations. "Who squared up to who?". "Okay, but which is our more important player at the moment". That wouldn't happen. if they're frustrated that when they bought their ticket they hoped to see Stirling play and haven't been able to then express your anger at Southgates decision or, here's an idea, Stirling himself. Or grow up.

37 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Apparently each national stadium will host their own country at least twice in the group stages so England will be at Wembley for at least two and hopefully all three of their group matches.

Sounds a bit complicated but seeing as both semi's and the final are also at Wembley, UEFA might as well have held the whole tournament here really.

http://www.wembleystadium.com/uefa-euro-2020/overview

I dare say it was a tactic of UEFA to stop us moaning about having a tournament here. Like a diet tournament.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

I didn't get the boos for Gomez, I don't read the tabloids but no doubt they've been applying layers of hype and putting different contexts on the original incident. You might expect club loyalty from the fans i.e. Stirlings clubs fans booing perhaps ironically towards Gomez. But they are Man City fans. As we know, Man City fans don't make any noise. So who was booing? The "club England" brigade who perhaps in terms of recent impact see Stirling as the more crucial of the two players but that's not how you sort out these situations. "Who squared up to who?". "Okay, but which is our more important player at the moment". That wouldn't happen. if they're frustrated that when they bought their ticket they hoped to see Stirling play and haven't been able to then express your anger at Southgates decision or, here's an idea, Stirling himself. Or grow up.

They were morons...at least "growing up"

You move on..

Booing your own player for really no reason..shows how this modern generation ticks..

We played well last night, but against an opposition who haven't won a game in the group. Against a decent opposition we will be exposed defensively, Maguire and Stones are both great ball playing centre halves, but both need that strong character next to them to have sturdy the ship. When playing in a midfield 3, we need a 'destroyer' a N'didi, Fabinho etc, we have declan rice. Until they fix that, we won't get close to winning anything

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

We played well last night, but against an opposition who haven't won a game in the group. Against a decent opposition we will be exposed defensively, Maguire and Stones are both great ball playing centre halves, but both need that strong character next to them to have sturdy the ship. When playing in a midfield 3, we need a 'destroyer' a N'didi, Fabinho etc, we have declan rice. Until they fix that, we won't get close to winning anything

Do England even have a player of that position? I remember Eric Dier probably being a good shout for it a few years back, but he's gone off the boil. 

Well... So have most of the Tottenham team tbf. 

11 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

Do England even have a player of that position? I remember Eric Dier probably being a good shout for it a few years back, but he's gone off the boil. 

Well... So have most of the Tottenham team tbf. 

10 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Henderson has to be the pivot with Madison and Ox ahead

Henderson in the pivot leaves us with the exact same issue, he isn't a defensive player and we'd be ripped to pieces by an offensive team. 

Rice, Hamza are the type of players we need to fit into the pivot role. 

3 hours ago, Langston said:

But that makes no sense if you only apply it to England in terms of a major nation not being "battle hardened." 

I consider it to effect lot of major nations, not just England, but it very dependent on the qualifying group you are given.

The level of quality in qualifying is dreadful, and of no benefit to anyone, what did either team gain from last nights match? What did the Portugal or Lithuania gain from their game last night.

International football should be the zenith of football competition, not what we sure last night. 

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I consider it to effect lot of major nations, not just England, but it very dependent on the qualifying group you are given.

The level of quality in qualifying is dreadful, and of no benefit to anyone, what did either team gain from last nights match? What did the Portugal or Lithuania gain from their game last night.

International football should be the zenith of football competition, not what we sure last night. 

I don't disagree on the point re: the quality of qualification football - but all other major nations have won tournaments since we last did and each of them has the same issue to contend with. These players are playing for the best managers in the world, in the most exposed leagues in the world - playing the likes of Andorra and San Marino shouldn't hinder how you prepare for the biggest games in tournament football.

England's failure in tournaments has been down to a succession of naive / bad managers, square pegs in round holes - and other teams, quite simply, being better than us. Not down to the dismal quality of qualification football.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Henderson in the pivot leaves us with the exact same issue, he isn't a defensive player and we'd be ripped to pieces by an offensive team. 

Rice, Hamza are the type of players we need to fit into the pivot role. 

Out of the players in the current squad he's the best option I think, rice is just not very good even if he is more traditionally a DM, Henderson has played that role for Liverpool in the past.

6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Last night show why international football is broken, and ultimately why England struggle.

I have no interest in watching England play in what is a glamorised testimonials.

Qualification consistently see minor nations put to the sword, and no real test for major nations.

When England turn up to a major tournament they are not battle hardened, so as soon as we come up against a decent side they struggle.

Edited by STEVIE B
Spelling

Just now, STEVIE B said:

This is very true. Take the last World Cup. The press and many ‘fans’ raved at how well England did. We basically beat the weak sides, as expected. We lost to Belgium, scraped past Colombia, got knocked out by Croatia, before losing again to Belgium ! Beating Sweden was decent but was probably again, expected, despite our awful record against them. I want England to do well but you don’t need to be Miss Marple to see there’s a pattern at tournaments. 

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Out of the players in the current squad he's the best option I think, rice is just not very good even if he is more traditionally a DM, Henderson has played that role for Liverpool in the past.

Out of our current squad he probably the best, but that isn't saying much. He used to play that role, but was replaced and only got back into the team in that more advanced role. 

Just now, Corky said:

Who has said he isn't well liked? 

They seem to be fighting against an image they've put out.

There always has to be drama with our national team.

You're right in that they're creating more issues for themselves. They should look to stop the leak who released the story to the press in the first place 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

There always has to be drama with our national team.

You're right in that they're creating more issues for themselves. They should look to stop the leak who released the story to the press in the first place 

Exactly this. Very poorly managed. 

Gareth trying to dig himself out of a hole. Don't like the "narrative" comment though. They're making this worse by continually going on, booing is a part of football, get on with it. To me a fight in camp in the canteen could be described as 'disarray'. 

Maybe he should focus on patching the leaks 

20 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

But Liverpool don't play with 2 ACM's, they play with all rounders or defensive minded midfielders in Milner, Fabinho and Wijnaldum. 

England need a destroyer in there to play Maddison and Mount or Ox and it's a shame Choudhury is up against the best DCM in the Prem in Ndidi otherwise he'd be getting games and likely a call up to the senior side where the position would surely be his.