Jump to content

Recommended Posts

In hindsight, it would have been interesting to see Iheanacho start in the Everton and Leeds matches rather than Perez playing there. Although, I do definitely agree with the sentiment that Iheanacho is at his best when he plays alongside another striker rather than playing as the lone striker as demonstrated in recent matches.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now his best goal scoring season in the PL with 9 and still has 6 games to go. 

 

Nice to see him and Barnes put Vardy under a bit of pressure to be top goal scorer this season.

 

Really chance if Barnes gets fit that we could have 4 players on double figures in the PL Vardy (13), Nacho (9) Barnes (9)  Maddison (8)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Now his best goal scoring season in the PL with 9 and still has 6 games to go. 

 

Nice to see him and Barnes put Vardy under a bit of pressure to be top goal scorer this season.

 

Really chance if Barnes gets fit that we could have 4 players on double figures in the PL Vardy (13), Nacho (9) Barnes (9)  Maddison (8)

Does Barnes get in the side when we are playing 2 up top?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see Rodgers constructive criticism of Iheanacho post match, There is still room for improvement but definitely he has stepped up this season when we have needed him.

 

You could tell he was annoyed at himself for missing those chances last night which was good to see 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

Good to see Rodgers constructive criticism of Iheanacho post match, There is still room for improvement but definitely he has stepped up this season when we have needed him.

 

You could tell he was annoyed at himself for missing those chances last night which was good to see 

Any good pro always knows there is room for improvement in his game . Kel needs to instinctively use his right foot when needed and stay icy cool and never snatch at chances. Otherwise he's finding great positions and reading the game excellently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Does Barnes get in the side when we are playing 2 up top?

 

With how Vardy has been playing, drifting left, I could see Barnes possible taking up that role.

 

He would maybe need to adapt in the sense that he wouldn't get the ball as often as he wouldn't be coming as deep but it would definately be worth seeing how he played alongside Kel.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Rodgers criticism was a little harsh as Kelechi has been outstanding for a few weeks now but he'll know the best way to get the best out of him. He strikes me as a confidence player so not sure if the best way to motivate him is to tell him how good he's been. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

So pleased for him. 

 

More importantly two up front! I've always personally said I don't like just one up front. With Kelechi it obviously didn't suit him, he can't do the same role as Vardy. I know Barnes coming back will cause Rodgers a selection headache but two up front, especially with Kelechi and Vardy's record, needs to be kept.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shailen said:

I thought Rodgers criticism was a little harsh as Kelechi has been outstanding for a few weeks now but he'll know the best way to get the best out of him. He strikes me as a confidence player so not sure if the best way to motivate him is to tell him how good he's been. 


It was constructive criticism Iheanacho knows he needs to keep on working hard and improve he has the right ethos. Main thing is his work ethic, and he has a high ceiling of potential to be one of the best strikers at this level. If he keeps it up 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say this but I hope the missed chances doesnt knock his confidence too much and should think about how well he did to create those chances in the first place.  Even if he's missing chances his link up play with Vardy and Maddison will help us too.

Edited by Nalis
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Good to see Rodgers constructive criticism of Iheanacho post match, There is still room for improvement but definitely he has stepped up this season when we have needed him.

 

You could tell he was annoyed at himself for missing those chances last night which was good to see 

He says it after almost every game in his interviews, never ever seen him say anything other than brown nose type stuff for Vardy.

 

That said Iheanacho does have improvements to make in his first touch and awareness but it's hard to fathom as he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous many times. 1st touch can be out of this world like that one he plucked down from Castagne and then blazed it over the bar and then his 1st touch can be hideous and nutmeg himself.

 

Plenty to work on but one thing is for sure, his positional sense in a front two is exceptional and his finishing is efficient enough that he will score a lot of goals. Frightening how good he could become.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I hate to say this but I hope the missed chances doesnt knock his confidence too much and should think about how well he did to create those chances in the first place.  Even if he's missing chances his link up play with Vardy and Maddison will help us too.

It shouldn't do, he missed a few chances vs Sheff Utd, Man Utd and West Ham and still racked up 7 goals in those 3 games. He's a player who's positional sense in a front two means he'll get 3-4 good opportunities a game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

With how Vardy has been playing, drifting left, I could see Barnes possible taking up that role.

 

He would maybe need to adapt in the sense that he wouldn't get the ball as often as he wouldn't be coming as deep but it would definately be worth seeing how he played alongside Kel.  

I wouldn’t expect Vardy to be dropped right now the way he is playing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone love Rodgers attitude regarding kelechi? He easily could have scored 3 yesterday. Some say it's harsh but that shows he knows kelechi is capable of more and reckons that he can not only do more, but also that it'll be necessary in future situations. Love it. Tough love 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I wouldn’t expect Vardy to be dropped right now the way he is playing.

Me neither (although, a rare substitution around 70 mins). I was talking longer term. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He says it after almost every game in his interviews, never ever seen him say anything other than brown nose type stuff for Vardy.

 

That said Iheanacho does have improvements to make in his first touch and awareness but it's hard to fathom as he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous many times. 1st touch can be out of this world like that one he plucked down from Castagne and then blazed it over the bar and then his 1st touch can be hideous and nutmeg himself.

 

Plenty to work on but one thing is for sure, his positional sense in a front two is exceptional and his finishing is efficient enough that he will score a lot of goals. Frightening how good he could become.

Think it's the right approach from BR. He knows Vardy's either in poor form/ageing/been injured. And there's confidence that Vardy is the finished article. 

 

Whereas Nacho clearly has work to do to improve his overall game. His goal scoring record lately has masked some sloppy play and middling performances. BR knows that if Nacho can improve his overall game it improves the whole side and makes Nacho himself even more dangerous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Think it's the right approach from BR. He knows Vardy's either in poor form/ageing/been injured. And there's confidence that Vardy is the finished article. 

 

Whereas Nacho clearly has work to do to improve his overall game. His goal scoring record lately has masked some sloppy play and middling performances. BR knows that if Nacho can improve his overall game it improves the whole side and makes Nacho himself even more dangerous. 

I tend to agree but Iheanacho has also suffered huge bouts of self doubt, some of which has been caused by Rodgers so I'd be just as pleased to see Rodgers showering him with praise in a bid to maintain this confidence. He is such an erratic player, when off form he is an abomination and then he gets confidence from somewhere and becomes a machine. Will always be rough around the edges type player but where as some will seldom then have a majestic first touch and ruthless finishing and will always be limited, Iheanacho will produce exceptional end product and that's what makes him a fascinating and unusual player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Does Barnes get in the side when we are playing 2 up top?

 

At some time in a game yes ,Rodgers will have the luxury of rotation. We still need another striker though. Three cup competitions and the absolute need to keep challenging for the top four says that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, shailen said:

I thought Rodgers criticism was a little harsh as Kelechi has been outstanding for a few weeks now but he'll know the best way to get the best out of him. He strikes me as a confidence player so not sure if the best way to motivate him is to tell him how good he's been. 

He is always harsh on Nacho, but the player was rewarded with a new contract so is clearly part of the plan.

 

Different players have to be managed in different ways, and despite being a confidence player, perhaps Nacho actually thrives with a rocket up his arse? Under Puel, Nacho had glimpses but did very little. Under Rodgers, Nacho didn't even make his first 5 match day squads in the 19/20 season, but then came on in that Everton home game like a man possessed. And look at him now too, his overall game has improved dramatically. During matches I also always hear Chris Davies the assistant manager praising Nacho throughout, so I wonder if there is a deliberate "good cop, bad cop" thing going on with him?

 

He was decent / good last night, but I think Rodgers is doing the right thing in asking for even more from the player, because he has it in his locker. I actually think a fully polished and well-rounded Iheanacho could become an even better striker than peak Vardy! But it will of course be very hard to get to that level. 

 

The player's main issue is consistency. He can be incredible, but also terrible. But of recent he's been at the higher end of his game on a consistent basis.

 

 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He is always harsh on Nacho, but the player was rewarded with a new contract so is clearly part of the plan.

 

Different players have to be managed in different ways, and despite being a confidence player, perhaps Nacho actually thrives with a rocket up his arse? Under Puel, Nacho had glimpses but did very little. Under Rodgers, Nacho didn't even make his first 5 match day squads in the 19/20 season, but then came on in that Everton home game like a man possessed. And look at him now too, his overall game has improved dramatically. During matches I also always hear Chris Davies the assistant manager praising Nacho throughout, so I wonder if there is a deliberate "good cop, bad cop" thing going on with him?

 

He was decent / good last night, but I think Rodgers is doing the right thing in asking for even more from the player, because he has it in his locker. I actually think a fully polished and well-rounded Iheanacho could become an even better striker than peak Vardy! But it will of course be very hard to get to that level. 

 

The player's main issue is consistency. He can be incredible, but also terrible. But of recent he's been at the higher end of his game on a consistent basis.

 

 

I think it's also about staving off any potential drop in level that could arise from lots of goals + new contract + media attention

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...