Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

I hate to say this but I hope the missed chances doesnt knock his confidence too much and should think about how well he did to create those chances in the first place.  Even if he's missing chances his link up play with Vardy and Maddison will help us too.

Edited by Nalis

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Good to see Rodgers constructive criticism of Iheanacho post match, There is still room for improvement but definitely he has stepped up this season when we have needed him.

You could tell he was annoyed at himself for missing those chances last night which was good to see 

He says it after almost every game in his interviews, never ever seen him say anything other than brown nose type stuff for Vardy.

That said Iheanacho does have improvements to make in his first touch and awareness but it's hard to fathom as he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous many times. 1st touch can be out of this world like that one he plucked down from Castagne and then blazed it over the bar and then his 1st touch can be hideous and nutmeg himself.

Plenty to work on but one thing is for sure, his positional sense in a front two is exceptional and his finishing is efficient enough that he will score a lot of goals. Frightening how good he could become.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I hate to say this but I hope the missed chances doesnt knock his confidence too much and should think about how well he did to create those chances in the first place.  Even if he's missing chances his link up play with Vardy and Maddison will help us too.

It shouldn't do, he missed a few chances vs Sheff Utd, Man Utd and West Ham and still racked up 7 goals in those 3 games. He's a player who's positional sense in a front two means he'll get 3-4 good opportunities a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

With how Vardy has been playing, drifting left, I could see Barnes possible taking up that role.

He would maybe need to adapt in the sense that he wouldn't get the ball as often as he wouldn't be coming as deep but it would definately be worth seeing how he played alongside Kel.  

I wouldn’t expect Vardy to be dropped right now the way he is playing.

• Like 1

Anyone love Rodgers attitude regarding kelechi? He easily could have scored 3 yesterday. Some say it's harsh but that shows he knows kelechi is capable of more and reckons that he can not only do more, but also that it'll be necessary in future situations. Love it. Tough love 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He says it after almost every game in his interviews, never ever seen him say anything other than brown nose type stuff for Vardy.

That said Iheanacho does have improvements to make in his first touch and awareness but it's hard to fathom as he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous many times. 1st touch can be out of this world like that one he plucked down from Castagne and then blazed it over the bar and then his 1st touch can be hideous and nutmeg himself.

Plenty to work on but one thing is for sure, his positional sense in a front two is exceptional and his finishing is efficient enough that he will score a lot of goals. Frightening how good he could become.

Think it's the right approach from BR. He knows Vardy's either in poor form/ageing/been injured. And there's confidence that Vardy is the finished article. 

Whereas Nacho clearly has work to do to improve his overall game. His goal scoring record lately has masked some sloppy play and middling performances. BR knows that if Nacho can improve his overall game it improves the whole side and makes Nacho himself even more dangerous. 

27 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Think it's the right approach from BR. He knows Vardy's either in poor form/ageing/been injured. And there's confidence that Vardy is the finished article. 

Whereas Nacho clearly has work to do to improve his overall game. His goal scoring record lately has masked some sloppy play and middling performances. BR knows that if Nacho can improve his overall game it improves the whole side and makes Nacho himself even more dangerous. 

I tend to agree but Iheanacho has also suffered huge bouts of self doubt, some of which has been caused by Rodgers so I'd be just as pleased to see Rodgers showering him with praise in a bid to maintain this confidence. He is such an erratic player, when off form he is an abomination and then he gets confidence from somewhere and becomes a machine. Will always be rough around the edges type player but where as some will seldom then have a majestic first touch and ruthless finishing and will always be limited, Iheanacho will produce exceptional end product and that's what makes him a fascinating and unusual player.

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Does Barnes get in the side when we are playing 2 up top?

At some time in a game yes ,Rodgers will have the luxury of rotation. We still need another striker though. Three cup competitions and the absolute need to keep challenging for the top four says that.

2 hours ago, shailen said:

I thought Rodgers criticism was a little harsh as Kelechi has been outstanding for a few weeks now but he'll know the best way to get the best out of him. He strikes me as a confidence player so not sure if the best way to motivate him is to tell him how good he's been. 

He is always harsh on Nacho, but the player was rewarded with a new contract so is clearly part of the plan.

Different players have to be managed in different ways, and despite being a confidence player, perhaps Nacho actually thrives with a rocket up his arse? Under Puel, Nacho had glimpses but did very little. Under Rodgers, Nacho didn't even make his first 5 match day squads in the 19/20 season, but then came on in that Everton home game like a man possessed. And look at him now too, his overall game has improved dramatically. During matches I also always hear Chris Davies the assistant manager praising Nacho throughout, so I wonder if there is a deliberate "good cop, bad cop" thing going on with him?

He was decent / good last night, but I think Rodgers is doing the right thing in asking for even more from the player, because he has it in his locker. I actually think a fully polished and well-rounded Iheanacho could become an even better striker than peak Vardy! But it will of course be very hard to get to that level. 

The player's main issue is consistency. He can be incredible, but also terrible. But of recent he's been at the higher end of his game on a consistent basis.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He is always harsh on Nacho, but the player was rewarded with a new contract so is clearly part of the plan.

Different players have to be managed in different ways, and despite being a confidence player, perhaps Nacho actually thrives with a rocket up his arse? Under Puel, Nacho had glimpses but did very little. Under Rodgers, Nacho didn't even make his first 5 match day squads in the 19/20 season, but then came on in that Everton home game like a man possessed. And look at him now too, his overall game has improved dramatically. During matches I also always hear Chris Davies the assistant manager praising Nacho throughout, so I wonder if there is a deliberate "good cop, bad cop" thing going on with him?

He was decent / good last night, but I think Rodgers is doing the right thing in asking for even more from the player, because he has it in his locker. I actually think a fully polished and well-rounded Iheanacho could become an even better striker than peak Vardy! But it will of course be very hard to get to that level. 

The player's main issue is consistency. He can be incredible, but also terrible. But of recent he's been at the higher end of his game on a consistent basis.

I think it's also about staving off any potential drop in level that could arise from lots of goals + new contract + media attention

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Does Barnes get in the side when we are playing 2 up top?

Nice problem to have, give us options.

Brendan has got some thinking to do when Barnes is fit. 

I'd like us to look after Vardy more, he can't play 3 games a week next season, if we do we can probably have a fit Vardy for a couple of seasons more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shailen said:

I thought Rodgers criticism was a little harsh as Kelechi has been outstanding for a few weeks now but he'll know the best way to get the best out of him. He strikes me as a confidence player so not sure if the best way to motivate him is to tell him how good he's been. 

I think he had a valid point, nothing wrong with pushing players to improve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

:nacho:

Goals/90

anyone have iheancho's goals per minute for his career, must be very high