Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

8 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

When Barnes is fit I'd play a front 3 of iheanacho, Barnes and maddison.

Yeah I know I'm dropping vardy and letting 2 idiots play but vardy was nowhere near thr box today.

Vardy has not been at his best. At West Ham, he was subpar, but his presence and runs still give a lot of worry to the defenders which means invariably he makes space for others like Nacho to score.  Unless Barnes will be playing as a second striker and not a winger, doing this will put Nacho back into the lone striker role that he is not very good at.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Great second half but bloody hell, absolutely laughable in the first half.

That’s him all over though isn’t it?

He can look absolutely horrendous at times but is capable of so much.

I’m loving the rich vein of form but we have to accept his flaws and inconsistent first touches in order to benefit from the good stuff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Great second half but bloody hell, absolutely laughable in the first half.

In the box there’s not many better in the league. He proved this time and time again at Citeee. Put the ball in the box, and he knows where the onion bag is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

In the box there’s not many better in the league. He proved this time and time again at Citeee. Put the ball in the box, and he knows where the onion bag is.

I still don't quite know how that second goal went in. So many West Ham players that could have cleared it but somehow Iheanacho managed to not only get his foot on it, but finish it superbly.

Yes he gave the third goal away but he was trying. And the amount of times he shoots rather than passing can be a little frustrating but again, at least he is trying. And he has done it a few times and got us goals and I am sure it just shows how confident he is, so no problem from me. He has offered a lot to us in recent times just when we needed it as Vardy has hit a terrible patch of form.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The fact he's likely to be our top scorer this season is remarkable. So pleased for the guy. 

Doesn't take pens or free kicks as well. The guy's an assassin in front of goal

Edited to say, I just remembered he took that terrible pen v Palace lol

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I still don't quite know how that second goal went in. So many West Ham players that could have cleared it but somehow Iheanacho managed to not only get his foot on it, but finish it superbly.

Yes he gave the third goal away but he was trying. And the amount of times he shoots rather than passing can be a little frustrating but again, at least he is trying. And he has done it a few times and got us goals and I am sure it just shows how confident he is, so no problem from me. He has offered a lot to us in recent times just when we needed it as Vardy has hit a terrible patch of form.

Agree that he was at fault but the defending there after was the worst of the lot for me. No way that should lead to a goal so while he deserves some blame, he's not the reason we conceded the goal there.

I think that game summed him up quite well actually. Touch was getting away from him a lot in the first half and up to that goal, but then after that he suddenly changed gears and it was like glue again with some great link up play. Actually starting to wonder whether he could do the business as a lone striker further down the line.

6 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Agree that he was at fault but the defending there after was the worst of the lot for me. No way that should lead to a goal so while he deserves some blame, he's not the reason we conceded the goal there.

I think that game summed him up quite well actually. Touch was getting away from him a lot in the first half and up to that goal, but then after that he suddenly changed gears and it was like glue again with some great link up play. Actually starting to wonder whether he could do the business as a lone striker further down the line.

Agreed, I wasn't solely blaming him, just the start of a string of bad errors to give the goal away. We had our backline in position so him losing the ball should not have caused a goal. Says a lot that he was that far back to come to the ball as well.

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

A constant theme under Rodgers is versatility and playing in different ways, so we might not have any out and out number one striker and instead mix and match based on opposition and who's available. But it can't be any coincidence that since giving Nacho a clean run of games in a system that suits him that he has delivered big time.

I've often said that I think Nacho as as lone striker playing every game for us would still get us 15 goals a season because he's a clinical finisher, but now I don't think it's hyperbole to say that Nacho playing as part of a two for 38 games a season would get 20+ goals. Basically as a player he's come of age and even better there is more and more to come. I feel like even in the last month I've seen improvements in his game. 

The question is do we sacrifice too much to get two forwards into the team? But I don't think we do. We can even play a back 4 that transitions into a back 3 or vice versa. I thought Ricardo was back to his best today toward the end too so we can still have creativity with two in the team.

At least one positive to take in what feels like a pretty crappy day otherwise.

I'm not buying this "he can't play as a lone striker" it seems anyone now lazily puts this in any Iheanacho comment, like oh Leicester they are a counter attacking team. He's scored plenty of goals as a lone striker, sure he doesn't look good when he's on his own with no team mate within 40 yards of him but then neither does Vardy. He's only 24 and as you say getting better all the time. He could easily become a fantastic lone striker, he can score with his right foot, head and a left foot that can score from outside the box, very much like Kane can.

If he keeps progressing and learning how good could he be? look at Vardy at 24.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I'm not buying this "he can't play as a lone striker" it seems anyone now lazily puts this in any Iheanacho comment, like oh Leicester they are a counter attacking team. He's scored plenty of goals as a lone striker, sure he doesn't look good when he's on his own with no team mate within 40 yards of him but then neither does Vardy. He's only 24 and as you say getting better all the time. He could easily become a fantastic lone striker, he can score with his right foot, head and a left foot that can score from outside the box, very much like Kane can.

If he keeps progressing and learning how good could he be? look at Vardy at 24.

The difference when he's playing with someone compared to when he's ploughing a lone field on his own is night and day, so I don't think it's lazy to say it. He could play up top on his own, but you need to find a way of getting the 10 and the wide men as close as possible to him to get the very best from him. You aren't going to be able to have him hovering on the last man and charging on to a through ball as he's not quick enough, so there is a change of style needed. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

The only slight reservation i have is whether Iheanacho, being very much a confidence player, is benefitting from games being played in empty stadiums? 

Will his confidence hold up in front of a groaning capacity crowd if (when) he misses a straightforward chance?  I'd like to think it would, it probably will, but I think there is a question mark there.

Then let's not groan and boo our own players. I agree with you that he's probably a confidence player. Groans and boo's affect any player but even more so confidence players but then confidence players are also lifted more by positivity from fans. Imagine what he could do with 30,000 fans behind him.

• Like 1

Just now, Babylon said:

The difference when he's playing with someone compared to when he's ploughing a lone field on his own is night and day, so I don't think it's lazy to say it. He could play up top on his own, but you need to find a way of getting the 10 and the wide men as close as possible to him to get the very best from him. You aren't going to be able to have him hovering on the last man and charging on to a through ball as he's not quick enough, so there is a change of style needed. 

I agree, I think with Barnes on one side and a quality wide right player he would be fine.

Replacing Vardy has always been about making the sum of the parts better, then finding a like for like replacement for me.

• Like 4

I think yesterday was the biggest show of his confidence. He gave the ball away a bit and obviously made the mistake for the 3rd goal but he backed himself to make something to happen. The 1st was a great strike but the second showed someone in great knick, was unusual how he managed to strike with control after pretty much bulldozing on to the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

@Babylon I think we have differing opinions on that point and I'm not trying to change yours. I agree with your second point, he's not going to play on the last mans shoulder but then plenty of world class strikers don't play that way.

I'm admit I have a biased view of Iheanacho and have long been a fan of his. I have been ridiculed and laughed at on this forum over the years for defending him, even recently when I suggested Maddison's injury would give him a run of games to show what he could do. Maybe others will realise how good he actually is rather than offering to drive him to another club to bring in someone from Youtube.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

@Babylon I think we have differing opinions on that point and I'm not trying to change yours. I agree with your second point, he's not going to play on the last mans shoulder but then plenty of world class strikers don't play that way.

I'm admit I have a biased view of Iheanacho and have long been a fan of his. I have been ridiculed and laughed at on this forum over the years for defending him, even recently when I suggested Maddison's injury would give him a run of games to show what he could do. Maybe others will realise how good he actually is rather than offering to drive him to another club to bring in someone from Youtube.

His own inconsistent performances have contributed to peoples opinions. I lost count of how many times he looked a lost figure on the pitch, numerous times falling on his arse, hitting the floor with his fits and just being sat there, rather than getting up and playing on. Little things like that stick in your mind, as he just didn't look committed. 

I've said it times, his a bat shit crazy footballer as he's sublime one moment and then literally horrific the next second. I would hardly be shocked if he was utter bobbins for the next 10 games. 

But he's absolutely grasped his chance this time, he's looking like he's enjoying himself playing football, which he rarely did before. Without him at the moment we'd be up shit creak, we just need to keep finding ways to get the best from him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldbluefox said:

Tbh over the past few games I thought he posed more of a threat on goal than Vardy has, and that from somebody who has not been impressed by him in the past.

You think that someone who has scored something like 9 goals in 9 games has posed more of a threat than someone who has scored like 1 in 17?

Who knew lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The second was superb for me. The desire to get something on it and so powerful was superb. 

I said before I never ever expected it to be Kelechi of our squad whose stood up and been the player to show the maturity to another level. There were three players yesterday who stood out to me as absolute workhorses despite occasions when they didn’t play great - Youri, Kelly and Sharky. Having ‘bollocks’ basically - between the three of them they nearly got something out of yesterday 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

You think that someone who has scored something like 9 goals in 9 games has posed more of a threat than someone who has scored like 1 in 17?

Who knew lol 

I wasn't just talking about goals, it's the threat he poses in the opposition defence which opens up gaps for other players. 

• Like 1