Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

Heresy alert …… but I think Vardy is done. Brave comment. Happy to choke on it. But don’t think I will be. I think the recent niggles, and his partner’s court case, seem to have sapped the last of the fight out of him. I’d now have Nacho down as my starter for last league games. Possibly alongside Daka, to see how he goes in a two with a run of games. But, in this squad the massively inconsistent Nacho would now be my first-choice striker. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, KFS said:

I know you lot ****ing love this guy but his actual contribution to the TEAM is honking. He’s erratic and breaks us down in key moments with stupid decisions. I’d rather our support striker is a big ****er who can change our dimension. Sell this guy on a highlight reel that doesn’t include his gaffes please. 

His contribution is goals actually and his appearances to goals ratio is very good. None of our strikers can score a goal if they don't receive the ball in the right areas suitable to their particular style of playing. You could buy a big lampost as you suggest but he wouldn't currently score either for the same reasons. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KFS said:

I know you lot ****ing love this guy but his actual contribution to the TEAM is honking. He’s erratic and breaks us down in key moments with stupid decisions. I’d rather our support striker is a big ****er who can change our dimension. Sell this guy on a highlight reel that doesn’t include his gaffes please. 

Slimani or Mark de vries would do us then. He can be erratic but he's in a team of programmed robots who dare not break pace with what the manager wants, it's all very rigid with our team which is why the manager doesn't like him but the fans do. We want excitement however that comes about and Nacho tends to offer that a lot more than basically any player

In our squad, who seem to have had all eccentricities or spontaneity trained out of them to fit the desperate need to keep the ball. He's wasted with us and he'll be better off at a different team who managers appreciate him, if he started every game and played 90 mins he'd be a genuine 20+ goals a season player for someone, but not us. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Heresy alert …… but I think Vardy is done. Brave comment. Happy to choke on it. But don’t think I will be. I think the recent niggles, and his partner’s court case, seem to have sapped the last of the fight out of him. I’d now have Nacho down as my starter for last league games. Possibly alongside Daka, to see how he goes in a two with a run of games. But, in this squad the massively inconsistent Nacho would now be my first-choice striker. 

I think you might be right. Kelechi should become the number one now. Vards we hope might be able to contribute from the bench for one or two more seasons. Like you, would be delighted for Vards to prove me wrong!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I thought he was excellent when he came on last night. He only got one decent chance when he tried to curl the ball into the goal but straight into the keepers hands.

But his general play, positioning etc I thought he was excellent.

I still think with a big mobile CF he'd get double figures every season.

He'd get double figures every season if he just played

• Like 2

No guarantee that Vardy will ever be back in the goals. Even if he is, he can’t play more than once a week. 

Daka is a complete unknown at the minute. 

can’t imagine why anyone would want to actively push Nacho out of the club at the minute. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

The annoying thing is that everyone says he can’t play the system - but no-one questions “the effing system” . What is so wonderful about 4-2-3-1? What is it that makes it indispensable? Not up for discussion? 

It suits a fully fit, fully firing Vardy but we haven’t had for the most of this season - yet the manager persists and then complains it doesn’t suit certain other  players. 

He reluctantly switched at the end of last season and Kels and Vardy started to produce but come the new season went back again. I don’t fully buy that Kels can’t play up front on his own - it depends on players running past him when he comes deeper - Maddison at 10 and two fast energetic wingers would work okay. 

But the managers role is to develop a system that suits the players at his disposal - not to dismiss players who don’t fit his preordained system.

I really fear this “refresh” could be a disaster - with valuable if imperfect players allowed to leave - to be replaced by the kind of player we saw come in in the 2021 transfer window.

Feel like this should be pinned whenever talking about Kel's ability to play up front on his own. Sure it may not be the absolute best way to use him but if he has the players running beyond and somebody else closer to him he can absolutely do it. Similar type of role to what Liverpool and Man City have been using although you can be sure he'd score plenty.

He isn't perfect as his concentration and one-footedness let him down but we've seen a sustained period where he has absolutely proven he would have an excellent goal contribution to the team if he was starting week in, week out. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:Sure it may not be the absolute best way to use him but if he has the players running beyond and somebody else closer to him he can absolutely do it. Similar type of role to what Liverpool and Man City have been using although you can be sure he'd score plenty.

He isn't perfect 

Exactly but we can’t afford to buy perfect players - our manager’s mission whoever, whenever, will always be to be pragmatic and to get the best out of imperfect players. When you hear Rodgers waxing lyrical about Forfana, Vardy, Schmeichel, Tielemans - you get the sense he’s forgotten that. 

• Like 1

If anyone wants to understand why Brendan isn't overly fond of Iheanacho, look at the possession loss stats. Vardy is hands down the most Rodgers-like striker you have. Iheanacho and Daka lose them ball a lot, relatively. You can also see why he likes Albrighton. Although Perez is a head-scratcher

Screenshot_20220507-052938_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

The annoying thing is that everyone says he can’t play the system - but no-one questions “the effing system” . What is so wonderful about 4-2-3-1? What is it that makes it indispensable? Not up for discussion? 

It suits a fully fit, fully firing Vardy but we haven’t had for the most of this season - yet the manager persists and then complains it doesn’t suit certain other  players. 

He reluctantly switched at the end of last season and Kels and Vardy started to produce but come the new season went back again. I don’t fully buy that Kels can’t play up front on his own - it depends on players running past him when he comes deeper - Maddison at 10 and two fast energetic wingers would work okay. 

But the managers role is to develop a system that suits the players at his disposal - not to dismiss players who don’t fit his preordained system.

I really fear this “refresh” could be a disaster - with valuable if imperfect players allowed to leave - to be replaced by the kind of player we saw come in in the 2021 transfer window.

Nail hit on head!

3 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

If anyone wants to understand why Brendan isn't overly fond of Iheanacho, look at the possession loss stats. Vardy is hands down the most Rodgers-like striker you have. Iheanacho and Daka lose them ball a lot, relatively. You can also see why he likes Albrighton. Although Perez is a head-scratcher

Well I suppose if you judge a striker on how many times they lose the ball - particularly if they shoot a lot or tend to attempt the decisive pass…rather than goals scored and assists made - you are likely to end up in that position..

Presumably on that basis Brendan drives a Clio because he likes the name and lives in Hartlepool because of the efficient waste collection service …

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

Pretty much sums everything up, 63% possession and poor 2 shots on target, He'd sooner have a striker that keeps the ball rather than one who scores!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, smudger63 said:

Although when he came on, he does what is natural to him, and dropped more into the number 10 midfield , which meant that maddison spent even more time out wide, where he is no where near as creative or dangerous, and meant that we were playing with 2 up front, which I assumed was of the formation change at half time.

It's hard to know what Brendan's thinking was but whatever it was it failed badly. 

Maddison is an intelligent player and like all intelligent players don't need rigid positioning. He doesn't have the legs for a Winger and he's much more effective when left as a free spirit.

His best position is just outside the box threading little Balls through for others or getting off shots himself. Winning free kicks or holding up the Ball while bringing others into play.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...