Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

3 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

He could be having an absolute stinker of a game but still end up with a goal.

Genuinely think if he was our (or another clubs) first choice, he’d be well into hitting double figures for the season.

If I’m Brighton’s sporting director I’m going all out for him in the summer 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BKLFox said:

A lot of he would score a bag load at a club that played to his strengths, but no mention of which clubs they are, anyone?

Arsenal would love him, always got their attackers close and involved to the striker. He would fit very well partnering Werner or Havertz at Chelsea. If Spurs sold Kane I could see Iheanacho doing well there, not as good as Kane obviously. 

Hassenhuttl would also be getting a lot out of him

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Makes things happen. Weird that a few choose to focus on 2 or 3 of every 10 of his involvements that are clumsy rather than what else he brings. Another fantastic trait of his - even in a poor team performance he can still turn up. He dragged us over the line last season when everyone else was off it as he's so good.

Screenshot-2022-04-05-at-22-18-04.png

99th percentile for assists is crazy

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

Makes things happen. Weird that a few choose to focus on 2 or 3 of every 10 of his involvements that are clumsy rather than what else he brings. Another fantastic trait of his - even in a poor team performance he can still turn up. He dragged us over the line last season when everyone else was off it as he's so good.

Screenshot-2022-04-05-at-22-18-04.png

The thing is with Nacho he could be even better, I think the clumsiness come down to switching off when he is not involved in the game.  

For me he needs to work on the mental side of the game to become a top draw forward.

I think fans get frustrated because he can go from looking like R9 one minute to Akinbiyi the next. 

Easy to forget he still only 25 he prime years are ahead of him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Arsenal would love him, always got their attackers close and involved to the striker. He would fit very well partnering Werner or Havertz at Chelsea. If Spurs sold Kane I could see Iheanacho doing well there, not as good as Kane obviously. 

Hassenhuttl would also be getting a lot out of him

Arsenal play the same way/shape as us with Lacazette dropping deeper & not scoring as much but pushing up assists in the same way as you've just highlighted with Nacho.
Whilst Spurs play slightly different shape they also have a front 3 & again Kane drops to supply hence not scoring despite Spurs getting 5 the other day, big discussion after the game about his changed role under Conte.
Then as for Chelsea again same shape as us which affects 1 of the best strikers around in Lukaku & keeping him out the side so he would not fair any better there.

so
The only team you suggest where he might see some change is Southampton as they do play with a more central 2 upfront but they are not as solid as we are behind that due to this, would he leave us for STH?

Here lies the issue for him, he gets a fair amount of games with us, he probably wouldn't at the clubs above us & i'm talking from 8th above so he won't be leaving because he wants regular Euro games or to win regular trophies because the teams that might naturally suit him are below the current standard he's at.

He's probably happy with his current lot, yes every player wants to be a starter but i think the higher up the table you go the more they understand its about the 25 not the 11.
There's a lot of people that are talking for him on here & making this an issue, its probably not an issue to the only person it affects & thats him & if he happy to stay & play as he is then i'm happy with that.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

The thing is with Nacho he could be even better, I think the clumsiness come down to switching off when he is not involved in the game.  

For me he needs to work on the mental side of the game to become a top draw forward.

Agree, however one aspect of his mentality is really strong - he can sit out of the XI for periods, and still deliver even when lacking game time.

I'd love to see how his concentration and touch might improve if he was given a decent run but in the circumstances it isn't likely to happen. 

We're lucky we have him.

Edited by Bourbon Fox
  • Like 3

I love Kelechi, for a player so clumsy and with such an apparently poor footballing brain, his goal scoring knack and positioning is fantastic. 

Always in the right place at the right time and by hook or by crook normally finishes chances.

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

As ive pointed out earlier in the thread even R9 himself looked like akinyibi at points, i dont think most people on here realise that the standard of player they're comparing iheanacho to is non-existent, they only exist in highlights. There has never ever been a striker who doesnt take bad touches and miss sitters, the difference between the best and the average strikers is how often they get into good positions, not how often they mess them up and iheanacho gets quite a few chances when given an opportunity to play regularly.

I wasn't comparing him to anyone other than himself. 

My point was his most significant issue is switching off during games which affect his performance; I used that comment to illustrate the point, he lacks game intelligence.

For me difference between the best and average strikers and footballers, in general, is decision making, which affects everything from the position you take up, selection of pass, type of finish etc.

Edited by coolhandfox

Being called an enigma is no bad thing and is certainly not a criticism. Personally, I think it kinda endearing. I might shake my head at a Nacho miscontrol or offside but I'm laughing at the same time. It's impossible to not like the guy. It can go in off his backside (and has hasn't it?) for all I care, he gets goals and that's why he's there.

That said, if we get a decent offer for him I reckon we'd let him go... now would we get that offer? ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Arsenal play the same way/shape as us with Lacazette dropping deeper & not scoring as much but pushing up assists in the same way as you've just highlighted with Nacho.
Whilst Spurs play slightly different shape they also have a front 3 & again Kane drops to supply hence not scoring despite Spurs getting 5 the other day, big discussion after the game about his changed role under Conte.
Then as for Chelsea again same shape as us which affects 1 of the best strikers around in Lukaku & keeping him out the side so he would not fair any better there.

so
The only team you suggest where he might see some change is Southampton as they do play with a more central 2 upfront but they are not as solid as we are behind that due to this, would he leave us for STH?

Here lies the issue for him, he gets a fair amount of games with us, he probably wouldn't at the clubs above us & i'm talking from 8th above so he won't be leaving because he wants regular Euro games or to win regular trophies because the teams that might naturally suit him are below the current standard he's at.

He's probably happy with his current lot, yes every player wants to be a starter but i think the higher up the table you go the more they understand its about the 25 not the 11.
There's a lot of people that are talking for him on here & making this an issue, its probably not an issue to the only person it affects & thats him & if he happy to stay & play as he is then i'm happy with that.

Obviously he wouldn't be able to directly replace Kane, but insofar as they tend to play guys like Son/Moura/Kulusevski close to the striker, I think he would have plenty of support. They would obviously have to change the way they play if they got rid of Kane, no other player can do what he does that Spurs could sign.

For Arsenal, I feel like Martinelli in particular is played close enough to Lacazette that Iheanacho would do well enough with an outlet to link up with there, not to mention Odegaard and Saka.

And for Chelsea, yeah he probably wouldn't bench Lukaku, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lukaku left this summer.

I truly hope he is happy to stay with us, because he offers us things no other player in the squad does. He is effectively our Plan B.

• Like 2

One of his biggest qualities is tbe American term clutch gene. He gets it done. He's clumsy and clearly eccentric but it's what makes him himself. Love the lad truthfully. Always makes me laugh and enjoy the game. He loves this sport haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

He improved massively last season....But I think he's got even better in recent weeks.

He looks faster, stronger, better positioning, especially when it comes to linking play.

Turning into a top player, yet for some reason we seem happy to get rid.

He's miles ahead of Daka, who hasn't improved like I thought he would....We can't get rid of him, in fact, we need to sign another striker/forward who can play wide.

We had no control after he went off in the week.

• Like 2