Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Brendan Rodgers insists Leicester’s excellent start to the season will convince Europe’s top players to join his Revolution

Excellent news. Wasn't sure if we'd look to improve in January or wait until the summer, but with our start (and others faltering) perhaps we feel assured enough of European football next season to go into the market earlier. Gives us 6 months to 'bed in' any talent (in a similar fashion to Youri, hopefully) and kick on next season. I wonder what positions we're likely to be targetting, given that our weak point currently is lack of goals from our wingers, but that includes a near-record signing in Perez and a high-potential local youngster in Barnes, neither of whom we'd want to force out the squad just yet...

Oh, and planning for the future? Looks like a far cry away from a manager who is preparing to up sticks and leave anytime soon... ;)

• Like 2

Just as we’d be extremely disappointed to lose our best players in January I’d expect other clubs to fight hard to hang on to theirs. Most players who move in January are ones that clubs want off their books and most teams that recruit heavily are those in trouble.

Even so it’s good that the club seems to be planning for the future. It’s all about sustainability now and how we ensure we stay fighting at the right end of the Premier League. 

Needed to hear that. This place has been a bit depressing with all the relentless manager leaving talk.

That sounds pretty optimistic for Rodgers considering its the winter window, Ajer and an attacker with speed and the ability to finish please.

C'mon Lee Congerton find me some goals. :celebrate:

47 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Olmo:ph34r:

We've debated him before, but he's top quality, could get up to speed and make an impact now, and also be someone who could make an even greater contribution next season. In Tielemans and Maddison we have two of the best creative midfielders in the division, but next season being able to shuffle between Tielemans, Maddison, Praet and another good option sounds like a good idea to me.

It's a yes from me!

• Like 1

We still have a reasonably big senior squad. We still have Silva and Slimani doing quite well at Monaco. Mendy and Amartey are no where to be seen but are capable to be on the bench. Gray could not even get into the matchday squad last game despite doing very well. Same as Nacho. Praet who is very decent hardly gets a game. So sad for Albrighton when he always does well. If we bring in someone, it really needs to be a strategic move for someone really good and that fits the culture of the club otherwise it could upset what we have built here. I certainly dont want Barnes to be left out although I think a right wing might be needed to give Perez some competition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/12/05/brendan-rodgers-says-leicesters-strong-start-season-will-help/

Brendan Rodgers insists Leicester’s excellent start to the season will convince Europe’s top players to join his revolution.

Rodgers has confirmed he is ready to strengthen his Champions League chasers after being assured of funds for the January transfer window.

Leicester are second in the Premier League and have won seven games in a row, with Rodgers targeting a place in Europe’s top competition next season.

Rodgers will attempt to sign a centre-half and possibly another winger, and he believes the progress over the past ten months can only boost his chances of attracting potential recruits.

"We sit outside the so-called bigger clubs but where we sit in the table will make people sit up and take notice,” he said.

"There's also the style in which we play and hopefully that's a marker for players to want to be a part of it.  Our mission has always been clear, we want to play European football and of course the best players want to play in those competitions.

"I think people can look at ourselves and see how we work and how we play, they will know about the recent history of Leicester. It can be a fantastic club to come and work for.

“We're playing a style of football where players will improve. With the training facility and progress we're making, it's a really exciting prospect."

Rodgers smashed Leicester’s transfer record in the summer with the £32 million capture of Youri Tielemans, while Ayoze Perez also moved from Newcastle for £30 million. And he has admitted he is happy to play a waiting game on his top targets if deals prove difficult in the New Year.

"I don't think it needs much work. We know the areas of the team that we want to improve. If we can do that, brilliant - if we can't: okay, we have to wait until the summer, but we will look to strengthen the squad where possible,” he said.

"At the moment we have a good working squad and we'll need that over the remainder of this month. But there will probably be one or two players who go out and get some game time. But at the moment the squad is working well."

------------------------------------------------

Sounds like we might aggressively go for some transfer targets in January. Youri Tielemans came in last window, and he turned out to be pretty good eh!?

Not really sure  how from that you think we are going to aggressively go for targets . I read it more of a case of we’re after people but if they are not available at the right time or price then we will wait till the summer . Aggressively to me would be bidding whatever it takes to get your targets . 

1 hour ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Best attack in the league, best defence in the league, best tacklers in the league. Where do you strengthen? 

We do not have the best attack in the league, Man City are by far the strongest in that respect and Liverpool are better at attacking than us.  We're not too far off them with all our key players fit but I'd say we're more comparable to Chelsea in terms of attacking options which is still by no means a bad place to be..

48 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Has their transfer ban been rescinded ? 

35 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Yes 

That's an interesting one - what will Chelsea do?  Being forced to use their youngsters rather than loaning them out in favour of big-name signings (e.g. playing Tammy Abraham rather than Higuain) has paid dividends; you could even argue that they are higher in the table than they would have been without the transfer ban.  Will they risk upsetting their squad by splashing out on a bunch of new signings, just because they can?