Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

12 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I see Thornberry is suing Flint 

What a c@*%

Edit - For the avoidance of doubt the above C word is “card” just in case Emily was thinking of engaging one of M’learned friends

I am no Thornberry fan (never quite understood why she was the one always in front of the media, when she never seemed to do a great job with it), but if she didn't say what Flint accuses her of saying, then good, Flint deserves to be sued.

And if she did say it, then I hope she loses. Either way, I hope justice will be served.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Anyone who votes against the deal now should be automatically out of the running. Political suicide.

I'm coming around to the idea of Rayner, Lisa Nandy I'd like to hear more of too. They need to pick the best leader, not the morally correct leader.

I heard Lisa Nandy and as a leave voting potential swing voter, she gave me quite a bit of confidence. I can’t say anything other than that as it was one interview, and shamefully I’d never heard of her previously. She nailed it though.

On 16/12/2019 at 13:03, Wolfox said:

I agree and as I put earlier she’d be my pick 

Also agree that metropolitan elite does not cut through with labour heartlands…. You need a proper Geordie like Blair :ph34r:

I think this has been misunderstood/ confused…. 

It just so happens that all the outstanding candidates happen to be women….  So what?!

it’s a bit patronising making a big deal out of it….

Yes the candidates to put their name up have so far mostly been woman.Lets not make it an all women shortlist though,which is what some people have been calling for.

Edited by Heathrow fox
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes the candidates to put their name up have so far mostly been woman.Lets not make it an all women shortlist though,which is what some people have been calling for.

Make a list of the best candidates irrespective of gender…. Kier Starmer deserves a hearing for instance

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Definitely trivial but Starmer would do well nationally because he’s quite a well turned out bloke. Ed Milliband struggled because he looked a bit odd 

Not trivial in my opinion, front pages swing elections and the less memes or Daily Mail front pages that make you look like you’re standing 201 feet from a playground at all times the better.

Corbyn, apart from his genuine issues, looked like a stereotypical ‘Scruffy Commie No-Gooder’ and it made it very easy to paint him that way.

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Definitely trivial but Starmer would do well nationally because he’s quite a well turned out bloke. Ed Milliband struggled because he looked a bit odd 

The problem with Labour choosing Starmer (and Thornberry) is they are London MP's - part of the 'metropolitan elite (as Corbyn is). Furthermore, both are strong 'remainers' (or rejoiners after 31 Jan?) - Labour need to move on. They need to reconnect with the areas they have lost in the Midlands and the North; it will be an MP from this part of the country that becomes their leader.

3 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

The problem with Labour choosing Starmer (and Thornberry) is they are London MP's - part of the 'metropolitan elite (as Corbyn is). Furthermore, both are strong 'remainers' (or rejoiners after 31 Jan?) - Labour need to move on. They need to reconnect with the areas they have lost in the Midlands and the North; it will be an MP from this part of the country that becomes their leader.

Starmer’s from a relatively humble background in fairness. I agree that the electorate will see him as more of the same but he’s very moderate in comparison to Corbyn 

The current leader walked past me on Saturday as I was washing my car. 

I looked up as he approached, did a double take and smiled, and he gave me what I can only describe as a stoical smile in return. I have to say I felt a little bit sorry for him.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

If you honestly think Corbyn is part of the ‘elite’ then you need your head examining 😂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

If you honestly think Corbyn is part of the ‘elite’ then you need your head examining 😂

He's pretty elite though isn't he?

Born to rich parents, grew up in huge house, selective schooled, given powerful job in union and then put into a safe seat in parliament for life.

Only really didn't go to Oxbridge because he was so thick they couldn't even pay their way in.

He's pure "left wing elite".

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, MattP said:

He's pretty elite though isn't he?

Born to rich parents, grew up in huge house, selective schooled, given powerful job in union and then put into a safe seat in parliament for life.

Only really didn't go to Oxbridge because he was so thick they couldn't even pay their way in.

He's pure "left wing elite".

Are we including John Major and Gordon Brown in this too then as they didn't even?

Corbyn's A level results were atrocious but that's not why his supporters are drawn to him. He's 'elite' in the sense that he's only ever done politics. 

I honestly don't think we've ever had a more 'elite' government than we do as of now (in our generation).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

OK, if I can examine my own head: I referred to the 'metropolitan elite'; a definition would be "the people who claim to support the rights of the working class are themselves members of the ruling classes and are therefore out of touch with the real needs of the people they claim to support and protect." He fits the bill perfectly; after moving to London to study in 1971 has always lived there. His only jobs from then have been in politics or a trade union official. Estimated worth £3m. 

It is for this reason, I think Labour need to elect someone who is not part of this metropolitan elite and it will help if that person comes from outside London (and excluding those  with similar backgrounds to Corbyn).

19 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The more time goes on, the more I'm convinced general elections are actually referendums on which party leader looks the most Prime Ministerial. Can't think of an example in my lifetime where the winner didn't have that quality.

The bar was fvcking low this year, but Johnson still just edged that particular beauty contest.

I’ve been saying this for years. It’s becoming more and more like the US presidential race every time.

People say they vote on policy/manifesto/local candidate but I reckon there’s millions who vote based on which leader they think will do the best job as PM in running the country.

Although Bojo is a clown, I think many just prefer him to hold the reigns than Corbyn.

If Labour ever want to get back in power, they just need to find a shit hot leader who people trust and feel safe voting for.

Simples.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/17/keir-starmer-labour-leadership-pitch-radical-government?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other 

It’s almost as if he’s got his head screwed on his shoulders and would make a good labour leader. And to think we’re going to elect Miss Jeremy Jnr over him. 

Making all the right sounds as far as I'm concerned, but no doubt different factions will see him as being too close to Corbyn (shadow cabinet member) or not close enough to him (perceived, inaccurately I think, as being Blairite) for them to bring themselves to vote for him. :(

Amazing how people see things isn't it? As a Tory voter I'd be picking Starmer as the Labour leader as it would pretty much confirm to the country.they are a middle class party of London - although I agree he's the most competent of the lot. (Not saying much in this day and age)

The talent pool is drained though, how does a political party manage to lose Akan Johnson and Andy Burhham whilst gaining Richard Burgon and Chris Williamson? Mental. All these nutters you kicked out of the party over the last three decades have all rejoined since 2015. Race does look between Starmer and RBL though.

Biggest problem for Labour is that Scotland is gone, it either goes independent or it just returns a shedload of SNP MP's - to win a GE you've got to now win England and Wales, I think in only 1997 have they ever done that.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Amazing how people see things isn't it? As a Tory voter I'd be picking Starmer as the Labour leader as it would pretty much confirm to the country.they are a middle class party of London - although I agree he's the most competent of the lot. (Not saying much in this day and age)

The talent pool is drained though, how does a political party manage to lose Akan Johnson and Andy Burhham whilst gaining Richard Burgon and Chris Williamson? Mental. All these nutters you kicked out of the party over the last three decades have all rejoined since 2015. Race does look between Starmer and RBL though.

Biggest problem for Labour is that Scotland is gone, it either goes independent or it just returns a shedload of SNP MP's - to win a GE you've got to now win England and Wales, I think in only 1997 have they ever done that.

As I say though, I think that's way less of an issue than people think for an electorate who've just elected the person they have. Plus, Starmer admitted in that Guardian interview he doesn't play up his roots - if he became leader I think that would be played up for him whether he wanted them to be or not. The guy is the very model of what can be achieved in a socially mobile country.

I like Burnham as a bloke, but he'll still be licking his wounds for a little while after 2015. It's going to be interesting to see in future whether the recently created mayoral pathway works for Labour as it has for Johnson.

As for Williamson, his result in Derby North gave me some much needed relief on Friday morning. The fvcking ****. :D

• Like 1