Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

On 14/09/2020 at 21:27, Kopfkino said:

Always been a very good parliamentary performer and speaker in general, just somewhat overshadowed by the fact he was always opposite someone even better.  Suffered from not being able to eat a bacon sandwich and never really managed to push back when the Conservatives seized the agenda and the narrative at the time, didn't really have a strategy. Was probably Labour leader too early and, unblemished, would be a better option than Starmer.

I think there's a whole generation of big political thinkers that were lost because the public are too quick to judge. 

Ed Miliband is a magnificent political mind. Though as we all do in life, his one member one vote decision to break the union block votes ended up with disastrous unintended consequences by allowing momentum to get a foothold. 

Back to original point, Miliband, Osbourne, David Laws, Cameron, Hague, Alexander were all in different ways the big beasts and all now tossed aside. A waste, imo

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54171571

Grrr now the Americans are getting involved in this GFA project fear nonsense.  They're even making out like it's not entirely the EU's fault for agreeing to a deal which we had no intention of sticking to.

Yeah we can’t have them move us too the back of the queue.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

My chlorine chicken. :(

Gutted, I was hoping I could get hold of some of that to go with our chlorinated salad and water :frusty:

Oh well, let's just hope this guys right then :whistle::

Model that predicted 5 of past 6 presidential elections has Trump in 2020 by 'landslide'

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/elections/model-predicted-5-last-6-presidential-elections-says-trump-will-win-2020

Edited by BlueSi13
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Gutted, I was hoping I could get hold of some of that to go with our chlorinated salad and water :frusty:

Model that predicted 5 of past 6 presidential elections has Trump in 2020 by 'landslide'

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/elections/model-predicted-5-last-6-presidential-elections-says-trump-will-win-2020

...a model that measures motivation based on primary voting only. Interesting.

Of course, it was modelled a few months ago rather than recently, doesn't seem to take into account that motivation in the primaries and motivation in the election itself are rather different this time (in a way they haven't really been before) and only actually uses the New Hampshire Primary as a model, and calling 5/6 of the last elections actually isn't that spectacular (the only real two surprises were 2000 and 2016)...but swing away, I guess.

https://www.quora.com/Should-Trump-be-very-confident-since-political-science-professor-Helmut-Norpoth-says-Trump-has-91-chance-of-winning-second-term-Mr-Norpoths-model-has-correctly-predicted-5-out-of-6-elections-since-1996

I know this was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but on topic anyway: if the UK trade negotiators are looking for a winning Trump administration to treat them better than a winning Biden administration would, then they're making a rather serious mistake in judgement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

I think I predicted 5 of the last 6 elections, I'm not sure what that tells us. 

Edited by Smudge

Neither Biden or Trump will treat the UK favourably which is the uncomfortable truth. The special relationship is a bit of a myth, they won’t extradite that c unt who ran over the kid.

What’s frustrating is the Dems have quite a few 1/16 Irish types that act out their Irishness by expressing support for the IRA

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, bovril said:

Jesus the rabbit hole Brexiters find themselves in, praying for a Trump win.

I couldn’t care who wins, what happens in the US has never interested me much.

However, Trump/Biden look to be two sides of the same coin from where I’m standing.

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Neither Biden or Trump will treat the UK favourably which is the uncomfortable truth. The special relationship is a bit of a myth, they won’t extradite that c unt who ran over the kid.

What’s frustrating is the Dems have quite a few 1/16 Irish types that act out their Irishness by expressing supporting the IRA

True, it’s either Biden siding with the EU and telling us to give our head a wobble and stay in line or it’s Trump bullying us into a deal that strips us of a lot of our industrial standards. 

The special relationship, as per virtually any diplomatic relationship, is/was purely pragmatic and of convenience. For us it was having an ally in the ideological-aligned rising superpower of the day, and for the US we were an anglophone nation that was strategically important constant in Europe whereas the continent was a patchwork of constantly realigning alliances of anti-capitalist or anti-democratic ideologies. 

Nowadays, Western, Southern & Central Europe are firmly democratic nations organised under a single bloc, so it’s a lot more easier to deal with the continent than it was in the 20th century and as such there’s no longer a need on the American side for a ‘special relationship’. 

In terms of the Irish lobby, isn’t it more bipartisan? I get it tends to be more so through the Democrats but the Republicans have their own IRA cheerleaders.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

What’s frustrating is the Dems have quite a few 1/16 Irish types that act out their Irishness by expressing support for the IRA

The special relationship is really between the US and Ireland primarily because there are Irish American votes to court. 

Of course, Biden is the archetypal example of the second sentence. 

25 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The special relationship is really between the US and Ireland primarily because there are Irish American votes to court. 

Of course, Biden is the archetypal example of the second sentence. 

I really dislike it when Americans play up their heritage when it’s likely they’re far more British/German than Italian or Irish, especially when it’s likely they’ve never been to the country in question or can they speak the language. Pelosi getting involved irked me a bit, if Hoyle got involved with US politics they’d rightly brush it off or literally not notice. 

49 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I really dislike it when Americans play up their heritage when it’s likely they’re far more British/German than Italian or Irish, especially when it’s likely they’ve never been to the country in question or can they speak the language. Pelosi getting involved irked me a bit, if Hoyle got involved with US politics they’d rightly brush it off or literally not notice. 

The British connection goes back too far to be be of consequence in the political arena. Irish and Italian immigration is far more recent and extremely political especially in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and South East Pennsylvania.

• Like 3

As people above have said, neither Trump nor Biden have much reason to do the UK favours in a trade deal.

All things being equal on that score, perhaps a wider picture should be looked at concerning what whoever wins would do for the world (and by extension the UK). And on that metric, the Dems (not necessarily just Biden) are ahead on the most important part and practically all others too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Markyblue

Doesn't matter which of the 2 cretins win, the usa will look after the usa like we should look after ourselves,  the statements are playing to their voter bases.

23 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Doesn't matter which of the 2 cretins win, the usa will look after the usa like we should look after ourselves,  the statements are playing to their voter bases.

That's the kind of mentality that's given us Trump and Brexit.  Sad.

• Like 1

Theresa at her most rebellious since running through the farmer's wheat field as a girl: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54242235

"Former Prime Minister Theresa May has said she "cannot support" the government's plan to override parts of its Brexit agreement with the EU.

She told MPs the move, which breaks international law, would damage "trust in the United Kingdom"."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Don't recall "Let's arrest lorry drivers for crossing the QE2 bridge" being on the side of any fvcking bus.

Police will patrol the Kent border to turn away lorries without an “access permit” in a bid to ease Brexit border chaos, it has been revealed.

Michael Gove said officers will use automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras and “other means” to block drivers – in what will be seen as an “internal border” in the UK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-kent-internal-border-police-patrol-lorries-b552680.html

28 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Don't recall "Let's arrest lorry drivers for crossing the QE2 bridge" being on the side of any fvcking bus.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-kent-internal-border-police-patrol-lorries-b552680.html

Being a Dovorian the problem is that rather than follow the directions and join operation Stack or Brock (or what ever is now called) where the M20 leading up to the channel tunnel is used to hold lorries as not to cause gridlock on the Dover's one way system and the surrounding villages they will instead sneak down the M2/A2 to the docks hoping just to be let in this causes problems on this route as much of it is single carriageway  and is the only other major route to the town. The lorries are let out of operation stack in groups to allow Dover residents to continue to go about their every day life.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/operation-brock-set-to-return-in-december-231505/

This is the lesser of two evils and Lorry drivers who think they can cut in line and avoid the queue deserve getting fines, we have problems with truck drivers who spoil are beautiful country side and litter the laybys and verges with rubbish and human waste with what is affectionately known as bottles drivers lemonade. 

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

How on earth you guys managed to inflict this madness upon yourselves beats me. The lunatics are truly in charge of the asylum now.

Edited by WigstonWanderer