Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

Why does the UK having a trade deficit with Japan make the deal more beneficial for Japan? There's two problems with that. It assumes that a trade deal automatically favours the side that already exports more than it imports and it assumes that a trade deficit isn't beneficial in itself. 

Also I'd add that it shows a lot about mentality that it's assumed it can only be worse than the Japan-EU deal. You've only quoted chat about agriculture from the FT, but seemingly both that and you have failed to consider there could be upsides elsewhere. 

Fair criticisms/analysis there - and I did base my comments on the FT piece.

Just watched the BBC News, which mentioned that the UK deal has beneficial additions to the EU-Japan deal on digital trade and music piracy.

Maybe this trade deal will be more beneficial to the UK than the EU-Japan deal overall, or maybe not. As I live in this country, I hope it is more beneficial than the FT seems to expect.

Even if it is, barring some revolutionary economic transformation, any gains are likely to pale into insignificance compared to developments in trading terms with the EU and the USA.

2019 figures show £615bn trade with EU, £183bn trade with US and £28bn trade with Japan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_United_Kingdom

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Don't think anyone is claiming that, are they :dunno:

Have you still got some of those yellow Bolox to Brexit tee-shirts? They were great and must've won over loads to the cause. 

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Just think, if the EU had just met their obligations on agreeing a free trade deal and respecting British Sovereignty  like they agreed to in the WA, we wouldn't be in this mess.  Our media is so flippin anti Brexit we get endless ciriticism of our position, and sod all insight into the EU position.  Both sides are as bad as each other.

Edit.  I can see I might need to be a little less facetious here.  Both sides are stalling on movement on the fundamental points - which is classic EU tactics.  No doubt they don't like us not moving either - but the media covering it like all the games are on our side is really galling.  The key point is that the Withdrawal agreement is only really valid if we agree a free trade deal - no sense in paying the EU shed loads of cash if they expect us to accept worse terms than they have given to other countries.  We really aren't asking for the world here.

Well.....

:ph34r:

(Sorry, Jon.)

• Like 1

I can’t say I’m impressed with the government just breaking an agreement in this manner but I will admit that the complexities of it far outweigh my knowledge or interest.

I don’t think it’s a great look for any forthcoming trade negotiations elsewhere and I imagine Ireland and NI will be really worried about the ongoings.

Even the suggestion is very concerning.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Well he would say that, wouldn't he. Trust is a two way street and spin is coming from all sides. Marr let him off the hook. Andrew Neill would've torn him apart. 

What bits would he have torn him apart on? Genuinely interested.

Problem is, there's a lot of fingers in the ears over this issue. Anything said by the EU is ignored or batted off. I'm sure theyl EU will get the blame if this all goes tits up for us, because this government continues to be weirdly teflon.

If it's not the EU, it's dismissing Pelosi or anyone who makes noises in the US. Basically anyone who isn't ardently pro Brexit, or ardently pro the government's position is talking BS and is to be ignored.

I absolutely do not want to live in a country that is sleepwalking itself into self isolation. I want trade deals, I want world beating partnerships across the world, because I want to live in a thriving economy. However, everything so far seems to be delivering the rabid brexiteers their fantasy without the faintest idea about the long term consequences.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

What bits would he have torn him apart on? Genuinely interested.

Problem is, there's a lot of fingers in the ears over this issue. Anything said by the EU is ignored or batted off. I'm sure theyl EU will get the blame if this all goes tits up for us, because this government continues to be weirdly teflon.

If it's not the EU, it's dismissing Pelosi or anyone who makes noises in the US. Basically anyone who isn't ardently pro Brexit, or ardently pro the government's position is talking BS and is to be ignored.

I absolutely do not want to live in a country that is sleepwalking itself into self isolation. I want trade deals, I want world beating partnerships across the world, because I want to live in a thriving economy. However, everything so far seems to be delivering the rabid brexiteers their fantasy without the faintest idea about the long term consequences.

Compare and contrast the interview with Robert Buckland who wasn't given a soundboard to regale us with Government rhetoric. Covenay, however was given a platform to complete the EU's back catalogue. 

Iirc, Marr asked the most important question about whether the EU would block food exports to NI thereby carving up the UK. That's what those watching wanted to hear the answer to (most probably by anyone feeling a bit rabid whether remain or leave, if that's still a thing?). Covenay defaulted into the British Government are bastards blah blah script but could only say that it wasn't proposed and it was just spin. So the EU might do that, which Marr should've pushed him on. To be fair, he couldn't get a word in edgeways as Covenay went through his greatest hits (although, disappointingly, he left out the cakes and cherries). 

I make no apologies for siding with the UK Government (which for clarity I didn't vote for and I was on a Mykonos beach during the referendum poll) against a hostile rules based organisation that we are no longer part of. 

At the end of the day, I suspect we all want the same thing. Today I just wanted City to win, the sun is shining and it's all good. 

Peace. 

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Glad to see Blair encouraging MPs to not give the PM the power to break international law. Sure am glad to have him as the messenger for integrity. 

The thing is the head of this current government, and Mr Cummings behind him controlling things, has become so morally empty that the previously reviled will come forward to try and grab a bit of moral credit. 

I mean look at what's being proposed. Agree or disagree with Brexit, whatever, if a foreign PM was treating our country with such flippancy I'd be appalled. 

• Haha 1

Tonight's Commons vote on the second reading of the Internal Market Bill will be interesting, with the Government at risk of losing it. Speeches from Ed Miliband and Ian Blackford tore into the Bill. It was all a bit too theatrical from those two. The PM sat there, rolling his eyes and looking weary. He's probably slowly coming to the conclusion that governing this country effectively is virtually impossible.

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Tonight's Commons vote on the second reading of the Internal Market Bill will be interesting, with the Government at risk of losing it. Speeches from Ed Miliband and Ian Blackford tore into the Bill. It was all a bit too theatrical from those two. The PM sat there, rolling his eyes and looking weary. He's probably slowly coming to the conclusion that governing this country effectively is virtually impossible.

He's got a huge majority and a great deal from the EU. Should be a piece of piss. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Box office stuff. Boris slumped in his seat clearly with no clue what he could say in response.

Was like watching a child getting found out for cheating in a school exam or something and not knowing what to do because they’re bang to rights!

I think Parliamentary procedure prevented him from engaging with big Ed. 

3 hours ago, martyn said:

Never really thought highly of Ed Milliband as a speaker but he eviscerated Boris there. 

Always been a very good parliamentary performer and speaker in general, just somewhat overshadowed by the fact he was always opposite someone even better.  Suffered from not being able to eat a bacon sandwich and never really managed to push back when the Conservatives seized the agenda and the narrative at the time, didn't really have a strategy. Was probably Labour leader too early and, unblemished, would be a better option than Starmer.

• Like 1

With the Internal Market Bill passing tonight, expect Britain's Foreign Policy positions on China and Iran to change for the worse. Poor Hong Kongers will be left high and dry. Gibraltar and Falklands all come back in to play (and Britain no longer has a realistic projection force navy). Nice knowing you Scotland & Northern Ireland. Slow hand-claps for Mr Johnson, Cummins and the Tories in a few years I reckon.