Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willie-bell-in-rothley

3 On the half way line at opponents corners

This was done at WHU and dragged 4 of their players out of the box at corners, i know Ranieri did it for a couple of games, its a great way to stopping the congestion in the penalty area and allows a fast break out when winning the ball, i'd like to see this used more often, we have the players with speed to make this work, Thoughts ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Funny how against Liverpool we had nobody up for corners when we needed a goal, I'd always have a couple of players up gives you an easy yet very threatening out ball.

Great in theory, but we had a whopping two corners in that game. Two corners in 90+ minutes.

Our attacking threat was simply non-existent.

13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I like it. Shame we take everyone back with our usual side.

Then again Vardy is good in the air and helps us especially on that front post. 

Vardy does perform that front post defensive role well at corners - and we're not generally a big side, apart from the centre backs and Ndidi

I wonder if Pérez could perform that front post role instead? I've not noticed what his role is at corners, but he has a good leap & is strong in the air despite not being a giant.

That could free up Vardy as the breakaway option - or I could even imagine 3 of the usual side left up, such as Vardy, Maddison & Tielemans.

I'm sure Brendan has considered such matters, though, and has a good reason for pulling everyone back.....

Leaving three up means the opposition keep four back and a fast break (like Brighton) is less effective.  I assume it was tactic specific for that game as only dimi had real pace in that side and as has already been referenced, they had quite a few tall players and blocks could have been v effective for them ....

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this over the last couple of days.  I really like it and remember Ranieri doing it, leaving Vardy Mahrez and one other up. The opposition have to leave four behind because they would be scared if we take possession from the corner.

Not sure why more teams don't do it.  We would definitely benefit I think.

More, more, more please.

• Like 1

Liverpool left a couple of people up for defending our set pieces and one nearly led to a goal with that salah counter when he rounded the keeper.

What I noticed from watching Liverpool is when they clear the ball, they always seem to find their own player and a couple of players get close expecting to counter. It's absolutely devastating but it's an alternative route out from playing out from the back. We need to develop that option on the counter.

Atm we have that ball in behind Vardy as our only viable option but if Barnes or Perez could hold the ball up and bring others into play like salah and mane do that would be such a great option to have. 

2 hours ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

This was done at WHU and dragged 4 of their players out of the box at corners, i know Ranieri did it for a couple of games, its a great way to stopping the congestion in the penalty area and allows a fast break out when winning the ball, i'd like to see this used more often, we have the players with speed to make this work, Thoughts ?

Yeah I liked it when it was done in the past and was surprised to see Brendan do it 

Just now, Papasmurf said:

The job at a corner is keep the ball out of the back of the net. There’s a much better chance of doing this with everyone back defending. 

Yes but if 4 opponents are left back to defend and one takig the corner they can only fave 5 in or around the box which makes it easier to defend

• Like 1

Plenty of things to be upset about with our side but defending corners isn't one. (Just re-read that and it sounds like a moan, it isn't. Not sure why I said "plenty of things" when there isn't but it adds emphasis to my point so i'll leave it in)

Until Soyuncu's handball on Boxing Day, we successfully defended every corner we've faced this season.

Edited by AKCJ

Right work with me here.

IF we changed our ways like West Ham. 

We sent/kept up

Vardy, Perez & Barnes or for arguments sake Vardy plus 2 wingers how many would the opposition leave back? 4 on 3 or even 5 on 3 assuming Vards would take two defenders out the game just because of his sheer pace and his strength... 

Would love to see us do it on a regular basis but then again like I mentioned Vards is excellent for us at that near post. 

One of Maddison or Youri to be left with two wingers?