Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Derby in Financial meltdown

25 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Yes they are - read the thread. 

Some people have said **** them or that they hope that they go down. This is not the same as saying that they hope they go bust. And for every person saying that there are 5 people weirdly gushing about how they hope they dont go bust.

Obviously don't want to see any club (except MK Dons) go bust, but it's still funny. I live there, so relegation would be a bonus for me because reduced attendances would make it easier for me to get about on matchdays.

See a few kids around Derby in City shirts these days too, which is always enjoyable.

18 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Some people have said **** them or that they hope that they go down. This is not the same as saying that they hope they go bust. 

I think you'll find that becoming 'extinct' pretty much is. 

19 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

And for every person saying that there are 5 people weirdly gushing about how they hope they dont go bust.

Precisely why is that 'weird' and how exactly are they 'gushing'?

It's a sad thing to see and as elite clubs become richer and increasingly backed by glory hunting plastic fan bases, genuine support in the local community is increasingly marginalised. Irrespective how badly run they are, most modern day Premier League football fans couldn't give two shits about Bury or Hartlepool United. 

I'd much rather see the local fixtures against Coventry and Derby back on the calendar (together with Forest), in the Premier League and competing against us rather than sides battling for survival not only in their respective leagues but as football clubs. 

Could so easily have happened to us. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I think you'll find that becoming 'extinct' pretty much is. 

Precisely why is that 'weird' and how exactly are they 'gushing'?

It's a sad thing to see and as elite clubs become richer and increasingly backed by glory hunting plastic fan bases, genuine support in the local community is increasingly marginalised. Irrespective how badly run they are, most modern day Premier League football fans couldn't give two shits about Bury or Hartlepool United. 

I'd much rather see the local fixtures against Coventry and Derby back on the calendar (together with Forest), in the Premier League and competing against us rather than sides battling for survival not only in their respective leagues but as football clubs. 

Could so easily have happened to us. 

Because it doesn't need to be said. And you're talking about two separate things again - I dont want Forest or Derby or Cov to go bust but I certainly dont want them in the Premier League and I can't understand why any Leicester fan would, personally.

It could have happened to us, but it didnt, and it hasn't, so who cares? A billion things could have happened to us (and after the last 10 years it feels like many of them have).

Wanting them to go down does not equal wanting them to go bust.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Because it doesn't need to be said.

I believe it does, and this is a forum.

I don't believe that you should wish ill on another club that are encountering financial difficulty. That's all. 

10 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

And you're talking about two separate things again

How so - and why "again"? You incorrectly claimed that "no one is saying that they want to see Derby County go bust" and as this thread is testimony to that is not the case. 

12 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I dont want Forest or Derby or Cov to go bust

I didn't for one moment suggest that you did.

13 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

but I certainly dont want them in the Premier League and I can't understand why any Leicester fan would, personally.

Why? I recall when we played Forest, County and Coventry in the top flight...it was great. 

13 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It could have happened to us, but it didnt, and it hasn't, so who cares?

I do. Because I remember how it felt as a follower of this football club when we were in administration during insolvency. 

16 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

A billion things could have happened to us (and after the last 10 years it feels like many of them have).

Indeed. And I similarly wouldn't wish the bad experiences on another club. 

17 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Wanting them to go down does not equal wanting them to go bust.

I haven't at any point claimed that it is. However the OP doesn't suggest to me that this is simply about wishing relegation on Derby County and as I said you'll find that 'extinction' does. 

Just now, Line-X said:

I believe it does, and this is a forum.

I don't believe that you should wish ill on another club that are encountering financial difficulty. That's all. 

How so - and why "again"? You incorrectly claimed that "no one is saying that they want to see Derby County go bust" and as this thread is testimony to that is not the case. 

I didn't for one moment suggest that you did.

Why? I recall when we played Forest, County and Coventry in the top flight...it was great. 

I do. Because I remember how it felt as a follower of this football club when we were in administration during insolvency. 

Indeed. And I similarly wouldn't wish the bad experiences on another club. 

I haven't at any point claimed that it is. However the OP doesn't suggest to me that this is simply about wishing relegation on Derby County and as I said you'll find that 'extinction' does. 

Fine, one person implied they wanted Derby to go bust. They are vastly outnumbered by people who do not. So this is not a thread where people are piling in on wishing them bust.

You're still not separating the two things - you are lumping them together as 'wishing ill'.

14 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Fine, one person implied they wanted Derby to go bust. 

Which was all that I originally pointed out to you.

15 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

They are vastly outnumbered by people who do not. So this is not a thread where people are piling in on wishing them bust.

I didn't claim that it was.

16 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

You're still not separating the two things - you are lumping them together as 'wishing ill'.

No, oddly you are simply claiming that I am through either your flawed interpretation or perhaps I needed to make myself clearer. My original reply to you was in response to this....

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Nobody is saying that they want them to go bust. 

Which as I demonstrated and you have finally conceded wasn't actually the case. 

Regarding "wishing ill on another club", I don't understand why you would want to. I asked you this question and you have yet to answer it. If you simply mean that you want to see a particular club go down then I can partially understand that, but as I said, personally, I would far prefer to be playing against and beating our local rivals than reveling in their demise or ill fortune which appeared to me to be the entire rational of the OP. The SISU issue at Coventry City in particular is an appalling indictment on unscrupulous opportunistic asset stripping ownership. I wouldn't wish that on any club. 

8 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

They've got enough assets to sell for decent money, be surprised if anything comes from this.

Yet another HTML and Flash version of Candy Crush Saga featuring 120 more levels each?

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Some people have said **** them or that they hope that they go down. This is not the same as saying that they hope they go bust. And for every person saying that there are 5 people weirdly gushing about how they hope they dont go bust.

It's the classic case of everyone feeling the need to be saying the right thing. Like when someone dies, people feel the need for the "thoughts" or "RIP" or to express how emotional/devastated they are, like it's not the default thing.

When a club is having financial difficulties, I think it's safe to assume 99% of people do not want them to go bust. It's not a "hot take" to say so, but people rush to pile in and express how bad it would be, despite the lack of comment to the contrary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Obviously don't want to see any club (except MK Dons) go bust, but it's still funny. I live there, so relegation would be a bonus for me because reduced attendances would make it easier for me to get about on matchdays.

See a few kids around Derby in City shirts these days too, which is always enjoyable.

I've wondered whether our success will result in kids in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Warwickshire etc.wanting to support Leicester while their locals teams struggle. Pretty sure it happened at our expense during the 70s and 80s when Forest and Derby were winning trophies, especially in towns like Loughborough and Melton. 

31 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Which was all that I originally pointed out to you.

I didn't claim that it was.

No, oddly you are simply claiming that I am through either your flawed interpretation or perhaps I needed to make myself clearer. My original reply to you was in response to this....

Which as I demonstrated and you have finally conceded wasn't actually the case. 

Regarding "wishing ill on another club", I don't understand why you would want to. I asked you this question and you have yet to answer it. If you simply mean that you want to see a particular club go down then I can partially understand that, but as I said, personally, I would far prefer to be playing against and beating our local rivals than reveling in their demise or ill fortune which appeared to me to be the entire rational of the OP. The SISU issue at Coventry City in particular is an appalling indictment on unscrupulous opportunistic asset stripping ownership. I wouldn't wish that on any club. 

Because wishing ill could mean either going down, or going bust, or any number of things. Simply saying wishing ill and sticking that on people is conflating all of them. I am not sure how you're finding this so difficult.

I wish ill on them in the sense that I don't want them to be successful on the pitch - because they are relatively local and rival clubs and their success puts them in direct competition with us. Is it petty and childish? Yes. Is it also football? Also yes. I don't give a toss about playing them, or their fans.

All their fans spend so much energy saying the same about us so why can't we just leave them to it? I think it's hilarious that they've spent the last 5 years obsessing over the Brian Clough Trophy whilst we've been winning the actual title and playing in the Champions League.

I do not wish ill on them in the sense that I want them to go bust, because as much as I dont give a toss about them their fans dont deserve that.

If all you wanted was to think that the difference between 0 people saying something and 1 person implying it is massive, please be my guest, take it and run. You are a big winner and your medal is in the post. But this is becoming very dull.

Not surprised given they are one of the examples of clubs chucking money around in hope for promotion. That's what it was so good to see Huddersfield come up with the smallest (or second smallest) budget in the division at that time.

They have enough decent players to sell though should they actually need money to raise.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Because wishing ill could mean either going down, or going bust, or any number of things. Simply saying wishing ill and sticking that on people is conflating all of them. I am not sure how you're finding this so difficult.

I'm not, that would be you. My comments can be regarded separately. One in response to the OP and certain sentiments on this thread  and secondly in response to your claim that no one is saying that they want them to go bust, which was incorrect. Thank you for acknowledging that.

28 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I wish ill on them in the sense that I don't want them to be successful on the pitch - because they are relatively local and rival clubs and their success puts them in direct competition with us. Is it petty and childish? Yes. Is it also football? Also yes. I don't give a toss about playing them, or their fans.

Personally I would still love to be playing all three of them...albeit so long as we are winning

29 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

All their fans spend so much energy saying the same about us so why can't we just leave them to it?

Actually, I think you'll find that they haven't. 

31 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I think it's hilarious that they've spent the last 5 years obsessing over the Brian Clough Trophy whilst we've been winning the actual title and playing in the Champions League.

It's admittedly amusing, but what does that have to do with the OP?  

I'd still like to be competing in the same league but fully appreciate that you wouldn't

32 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I do not wish ill on them in the sense that I want them to go bust

Yes, you have already clarified that.

33 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

If all you wanted was to think that the difference between 0 people saying something and 1 person implying it is massive, please be my guest, take it and run. 

Not at all, I simply pointed out that your statement was incorrect and as I said, you have acknowledged it. 

35 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

You are a big winner and your medal is in the post. 

I haven't won anything, it's an internet forum. It really doesn't matter. 

36 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

But this is becoming very dull.

Agree - imagine having to read it. Stop replying then? 

27 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is Rooney still going there? I can't imagine he's going to be a cheap acquisition...

Seems an odd move considering their financial struggles.

Is it likely they'll go actually go in to admin?

His move to there does appear quite fishy, particularly with the alleged betting company involvement (his shirt number link).

Can't see him lasting very long there, even to the point where he could leave after a few months (especially if the current owner leaves).

Meh. **** em. 

Id rather they were around to hate, as opposed to them disappearing. But make no mistake they ****ing despise us and there would have been a few of them hoping we ceased to exist all those years ago. They’ll keep their heads above water, they’ll be fine. 

• Like 1

Jesus some really serious bods on here 🤣🤣🤣

nobody said they wanted them to go bust 🤯

just a little light laughter at their situation 

they ain’t going bust but they won’t be going up anytime soon 

and our Dominance of the East Midlands goes on

lighten up guys 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

All their fans spend so much energy saying the same about us so why can't we just leave them to it? I think it's hilarious that they've spent the last 5 years obsessing over the Brian Clough Trophy whilst we've been winning the actual title and playing in the Champions League.

For this reason I wouldn’t mind 1 of them coming up but not both, imagine how unbearable they’d be if the Brian Clough trophy became a Premier League fixture, they already think their rivalries one of the best in the country.

Don't think there choice of manager's over the years has helped either, nearly every season since Nigel Clough left they had different manager at the elm. New manager's come in they want a good contract plus a bit of budget to spend! It's hard to believe any club actually spent money to hire Steve McClaren not once but twice. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

On 02/01/2020 at 16:44, StanSP said:

Is Rooney still going there? I can't imagine he's going to be a cheap acquisition...

Seems an odd move considering their financial struggles.

Is it likely they'll go actually go in to admin?

They aren't paying Rooney a penny, mate. It's all 32 Red.

• Like 1