Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Derby in Financial meltdown

9 hours ago, Wymsey said:

This.

Am surprised that there's been no form of protest or GoFundMe/other fundraising activity done by some Derby fans.

If Leicester were in this situation, am sure we would've done something to get the fans' voice across etc. (see the administration period where many bucket collectors were seen outside the stadium on a match day within that then-precarious period).

I did hear some petition  going on to get this talked about in Parliament but not sure what else .

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Mike Ashley got the pelters he did at Newcastle because he's an easy target. Obnoxious personality, hideous corporation, nasty business practices, tacky stadium renaming and branding, etc. 

But as actual football club owners go, there's definitely worse. I mean, there's definitely better, but there's definitely worse. If he'd been your owner for the last decade you wouldn't currently be in this situation. He might not really invest a lot of his own capital but he'll run a stable business without the fiscal irregularities and keep you bobbing along at par.

Totally agree

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

It's hard to believe theres a club with fans that want Mike Ashley to buy them. Be hilarious really if he did buy and save them cause come four years... they'll be calling for him to go. 

He put a hell of a lot of money into Newcastle over the years. If he puts even half that into Derby over the next couple of years they will be in a lot better state.

Newcastle fans were never in the position Derby fans are in. They are close to losing their club. Anyone that invests in them will be loved i would have thought. Plus Newcastle fans expect to be a top 6 prem club for some reason. 

They obviously have a half decent side and are doing well under the circumstances at the minute. With a bit of financial backing they could easily get back to where they were a few years back. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

He put a hell of a lot of money into Newcastle over the years. If he puts even half that into Derby over the next couple of years they will be in a lot better state.

Newcastle fans were never in the position Derby fans are in. They are close to losing their club. Anyone that invests in them will be loved i would have thought. Plus Newcastle fans expect to be a top 6 prem club for some reason. 

They obviously have a half decent side and are doing well under the circumstances at the minute. With a bit of financial backing they could easily get back to where they were a few years back. 

Well they don't have long to find the next Golden Goose, Goose. 

I take it the biggest stumbling block for a potential new owner is the stadium, which Mel Morris still owns? Otherwise there is potential there. The stadium, training ground, academy, the history, the size of the fanbase are all lower premier league/upper championship standard. 

8 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

the city deserves to have a club to support. 

I wonder what would happen if they do go under though? I take it there would be a new club formed. 

There'll always be a professional football club in Derby. They'll just be remade. Someone buys them when they're cheap enough, lumps enough cash in to buy them back up to L1/2 and settle for a bit. 

20 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Mike Ashley got the pelters he did at Newcastle because he's an easy target. Obnoxious personality, hideous corporation, nasty business practices, tacky stadium renaming and branding, etc. 

But as actual football club owners go, there's definitely worse. I mean, there's definitely better, but there's definitely worse. If he'd been your owner for the last decade you wouldn't currently be in this situation. He might not really invest a lot of his own capital but he'll run a stable business without the fiscal irregularities and keep you bobbing along at par.

Yeah I agree with this. 

Although I would say football fans are very fickle though.  He'd be well liked for saving them but 4 or 5 years down the line when he isn't investing and Derby are stagnating in a league where you need to keep moving forward they'd be moaning about him. 

18 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I wouldn't want Derby to go under. Regardless of what I think of them, the city deserves to have a club to support. 

I wonder what would happen if they do go under though? I take it there would be a new club formed. 

They wont go under. There will always be buyers for clubs of a certain size.  I reckon a Peterborough kinda sized club is about the biggest that could truly go under.

I don't know how many links/investments he still had with them. But have any Derby fans raised/found it a bit odd that Mel Morris essentially put them into admin, ****ed off and then 6 or so months later the company that he used to have a stake in King Gaming, is sold to Microsoft as part of the activision deal for absolute billions?

I mean I know King had already been sold to activision, but most founders tend to keep at least a small stake post sale. Even a small stake in a multi billion pound deal would show he had funds that should have been invested in his business that he claimed he could no longer invest in?

6 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

They wont go under. There will always be buyers for clubs of a certain size.  I reckon a Peterborough kinda sized club is about the biggest that could truly go under.

I hope they don't go under as they could be the first domino. 

If they do go under, they will do what Rangers did. Someone will buy the physical assets like the stadium, call them THE Derby County, change the badge slightly to avoid copyright infringment, offer contracts to as many of their players as they can and start again. It'll just be a case of where they have to start from. 

Ashley will want them at their absolute lowest point. The longer this goes on (within reason) the better for a greedy bottom feeder like him. 

He doesn't give a **** about Derby or the fans or the employees, he cares about picking it up for the smallest amount possible which gives him better leverage to create some cash / use it as a vehicle for other financial benefit. 

Unfortunately this is just a position that has been created by an unsustainable model and a sport which has completely and utterly lost it's soul and mind. 

I'm almost at the stage in my football journey where we need something utterly horrific like this to happen because people, fans included, are not waking the **** up. 

It's turning really messy and ugly which isn't great to see.  EFL saying the they'll run out of cash in February but that the club are also turning down offers for their players?  Admirable optimism, and understand why they don't want gutting, but when you owe HMRC £28mil or whatever it doesn't look great.

They're a reasonably sized club with a decent fan base so can see why they're attractive to buyers, but you can buy clubs in a much better state for less I'd wager.  You'd have to be off your rocker to buy them in the state they're in right now.  HMRC debt, Wycombe and Middlesbrough claims, they don't own their stadium and have mortgaged their training ground.  It reads like you need £100mil + just to reset the balance sheet.

The vultures are circling and might decide it makes more financial sense to just bite the bullet and do what Rangers did.

Edited by Zear0
  • Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 07:54, jonthefox said:

I never like to see clubs in situations like this, regardless of who they are. 

Exactly this.

In a way it's more upsetting that it's happening to rivals / neighbours.

Playing the likes of Derby and Forest are the few times we get to have that kind of atmosphere and buzz. 

You need rivals in sport. It makes it exciting and brings out passion. Sorry, PASHUN.

I like to see them lose matches but I would never want to any team go under. Despicable attitude.

23 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Ashley will want them at their absolute lowest point. The longer this goes on (within reason) the better for a greedy bottom feeder like him. 

He doesn't give a **** about Derby or the fans or the employees, he cares about picking it up for the smallest amount possible which gives him better leverage to create some cash / use it as a vehicle for other financial benefit. 

Hmm sounds like Mandaric's strategy when he bought us. Spreading rumours that we were his only option to avoid bankruptcy. Invest a few £33s and sell for Millions, fortunately he stumbled on the best buyers we could hope for.

Just now, davieG said:

Hmm sounds like Mandaric's strategy when he bought us. Spreading rumours that we were his only option to avoid bankruptcy. Invest a few £33s and sell for Millions, fortunately he stumbled on the best buyers we could hope for.

Wonder if hes Interested at derby is he still running Sheffield Wednesday or do he sell up.