Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Leicester 2-0 Wigan (FA Cup) - Post-Match Thread

I watched it, very little to comment upon really.

I'm just glad that's not our first team squad. 

I watched Choudhury for most of the game, he really is the next big potential. 

I think it was Rodgers that said he needs to be more aggressive in his game or something like that, it makes sense.

• Like 1

Won't live long in the memory but pleased to get through with little fuss, the injuries apart. Glad to hear Rodgers wasn't impressed with the performance, although we always need to play a striker, really don't like this mix-and-match three up top. I know Barnes scored but Gray is better suited, if possible, to that role.

Thought Benkovic was pretty good, liked the look of Justin, Praet was lively, just that the game never really got going. Still, unlike last year, no dramas is absolutely fine.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Corky said:

Won't live long in the memory but pleased to get through with little fuss, the injuries apart. Glad to hear Rodgers wasn't impressed with the performance, although we always need to play a striker, really don't like this mix-and-match three up top. I know Barnes scored but Gray is better suited, if possible, to that role.

Thought Benkovic was pretty good, liked the look of Justin, Praet was lively, just that the game never really got going. Still, unlike last year, no dramas is absolutely fine.

Losing both your CBs to injury (one likely for the season) strikes me as pretty dramatic.

Barnes, Gray and Albrighton frustrated the life out of me last night. Albrighton’s final ball pretty much always found the opposition and the other two didn’t really fully grasp their chance. Barnes got lucky with his scruffy finish, neither seemed capable of holding the ball up and neither threatened enough times against the level of opposition to give Brendan a major decision on Wednesday. One or both will be back on the bench alongside Albrighton. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Barnes, Gray and Albrighton frustrated the life out of me last night. Albrighton’s final ball pretty much always found the opposition and the other two didn’t really fully grasp their chance. Barnes got lucky with his scruffy finish, neither seemed capable of holding the ball up and neither threatened enough times against the level of opposition to give Brendan a major decision on Wednesday. One or both will be back on the bench alongside Albrighton. 

Still a way to go for both, we still need a proper winger

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trabuch said:

I was wondering how much the prize money would have to be to stop that. I'd love us to win this competition. Assuming Man U win all their remaining fixtures we can still afford 4 losses and finish in the top 4. We should bloody well go for it.

Total prize money is about 6.7 million, then you have gate receipts, TV money to add to it you probably looking between 10-15 million. When you consider its 2 million per league place in the Premier League you can see why club focus on the league, getting to the Qtr Final of the FA cup nets you around the same as 1 league spot. 

9 hours ago, trabuch said:

I was wondering how much the prize money would have to be to stop that. I'd love us to win this competition. Assuming Man U win all their remaining fixtures we can still afford 4 losses and finish in the top 4. We should bloody well go for it.

It would be insane to take anything for granted.  Four losses is nothing - we have almost half the season to be played.  There's a reason why the FA Cup (much less the Carabao) only matters to zealots on forums and teams desperate to go to Europe with no other route to get there.  Champions League is everything - it has to be everything.  And we can't jeopardize that by taking unnecessary risks in matches that don't impact our chances to qualify for it.  Even playing it safe our depth took a huge hit last night - imagine if it had been Evans to tear his groin instead of Wes, and Soynuncu leaving early with a knee problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Took the little girl yesterday.

Wigan goal that never was goes in and gets reviewed and the dreaded words come out her mouth “Daddy what’s going on”

If your ever in a position where you have to explain the offside rule and the fundamentals of VAR to a six year old girl in one sitting I can now tell you now from experience, just make something up.

Fairly certain the current official version is something someone has made up. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Anyone got highlights I’d be able to watch abroad? BBC not working

reddit always has the complete premier league games to watch but I doubt they'll have more than the goals from FA Cup 3rd round games.

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Hardly to key players were they? Most people have written Wes off and Benko has barely featured 

The Wes injury is probably a blessing in disguise.

Guest Eamonn
1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

It would be insane to take anything for granted.  Four losses is nothing - we have almost half the season to be played.  There's a reason why the FA Cup (much less the Carabao) only matters to zealots on forums and teams desperate to go to Europe with no other route to get there.  Champions League is everything - it has to be everything.  And we can't jeopardize that by taking unnecessary risks in matches that don't impact our chances to qualify for it.  Even playing it safe our depth took a huge hit last night - imagine if it had been Evans to tear his groin instead of Wes, and Soynuncu leaving early with a knee problem.

This makes me sad but you are probably right. I don't know if I'm a zealot but i would,  personally,  prefer to win the FA Cup than finish 4th.

When the European competitions are revamped in a few years, into more leagues and its own promotion and relegation,  they will become everything. I fear that domstic league attendances will start to fall at that point.

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

I'd imagine we're looking at recruiting a new CB and Fuchs can play there if the worst happens 

Think Armarty needs to start warming up and getting a few u23 centre half games in. If we're going to buy a top quality centre half like the Turkish lad then I'm all for it but ... if we're just going to get some mediocre foreign player who has to get used to the Premiership then that could be costly and counterproductive. If they're any good, why would they be available for a loan? I think a midfielder like Tielemans was a gamble worth risking but there are 3 or 4 other Premiership clubs looking for a centre half. Think unless buying, Fuchs and Armarty should be good enough and we may even find a really good player in the latter as we've never tried him there.