Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lowestoft Fox

Why is there so little transfer activity ? We need to strengthen do we not ?

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is one of the rare times in our club's history where we have a really decent team and squad. As you say we need to strengthen a tad, but not so much that we are desperate. If we are going to bring in players now, they have to be of a certain calibre that improves the team, and given we are 3rd, that is a high standard of player. We were linked with Demiral who forced his way into the Juventus team as a first choice CB. I think that's a really positive sign of the type of player we are after - players that will help us progress, not simply here to make up the numbers. We also don't need to overpay and this window is notorious for big money being spent. 

It wouldn't surprise me if we sign no-one and go for players in the summer instead. 

In a vacuum, this is the approach that's certainly most logical.

But you do have to wonder - with CL being the key to everything in the near-term future of the club, are we risking it by standing pat even if we're following the master blueprint in doing so?

• Like 1

Probably because it’s nigh on impossible to sign anybody in January unless you’re a European juggernaut or seriously willing to play even more inflated prices on top of already inflated prices - those two things going hand in hand. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

You should never stand still as a football club, just look at Tottenham. I don't think our summer dealings have particularly benefitted the squad either, Praet and Perez especially just seem to be the sort of player that are on the periphery of games, and Justin has hardly featured.

I don't think you can qualify not buying anyone in the first few weeks of the January transfer window as standing still.

There's never a great deal of activity in January, sure we would make a signing if all the boxes are ticked but really no point spunking a load of money in a rush to sign someone.  Much easier to do business in the summer. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

Probably because it’s nigh on impossible to sign anybody you really want in January unless you’re a European juggernaut or seriously willing to play even more inflated prices on top of already inflated prices - those two things going hand in hand, so you should hold off until Summer unless you cannot survive without reinforcements.

Slight amendment, but dead right

18 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

In a vacuum, this is the approach that's certainly most logical.

But you do have to wonder - with CL being the key to everything in the near-term future of the club, are we risking it by standing pat even if we're following the master blueprint in doing so?

Yeah I mean that's a great question, because what if we have an end of season collapse and finish 5th? But what I would say is that in 15/16 we could have spent big money on players, with Musa heavily linked but we only brought in Gray and Amartey as options for the future and still won the title. So I don't think we are the type of club to go against our strategy as every time we have done so, e.g. Slimani / Silva / Musa it's backfired on us.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Loan with a view to permanent is essentially on players that aren't wanted at their current clubs which doesn't give us a massive pool of players given we are looking to be in the top 4 of the Prem.

The obvious one is Thomas Lemar and if he ends up at Wolves then I'll be furious. Mendes can get fcuked, we are the better option it's a no brainer. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

There's never a great deal of activity in January [..]  Much easier to do business in the summer. 

Exactly.  When have we ever brought in a decent player in January?

I mean, yes, there was Youri Tielemens last year, but that was just a loan deal.

What I mean is, can you name a current starting player who signed permanently in January?  Not on loan.  Permanently.  What?  Ndidi?  Well, I suppose.

But, lets put it another way...  When have we ever made a signing in January that actually contributed to us winning anything?  Eh?  Tell me that!  Riyad who?

Anyway, everyone needs to stop moaning that nothing is happening - George Thomas has gone on loan to Den Haag.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I guess the club feel they're confident we'll finish top four with what we have and that we'll be able to sign our preferred targets more easily once we can guarantee champions league football. 

As fans, we're all panicking because we're terrified we'll miss out on the top four and we want to cash in now at all costs to make sure we wrap it up. 

I imagine the club have taken a deep breath, seen we're like 11 odd points clear at the moment, that that's happened on merit and there's no need to shoot our load prematurely. 

I know that's not very exciting but I imagine it's not far off the truth. 

I wonder if they have factored in how we have been playing the last month or so. It is all well and good being 11 points clear but based on every performance bar the Newcastle one, we are on a downward spiral and need to strengthen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

We'll have two lists of targets.  One in case of CL qualification, one without.  No point in spending big money on a player in January if CL qualification brings the possibility of a different class of player in the summer.

There is if spending big now guarantees CL qualification.

1 minute ago, hackneyfox said:

There is if spending big now guarantees CL qualification.

You can't buy that kind of guarantee unfortunately.

I think that a CB, probably on loan, is essential, otherwise I won't be too disappointed if we don't sign anyone.

• Like 3

Very difficult time to sign players, clubs unwilling to let players go or asking for extortionate money to do so. Don't think you'll see much activity this window unless it's a loan.

42 minutes ago, murphy said:

You can't buy that kind of guarantee unfortunately.

I think that a CB, probably on loan, is essential, otherwise I won't be too disappointed if we don't sign anyone.

32 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Nothing in football is guaranteed.  Our club is sensibly run for sustainable growth within our means.  

Taking me too literally when I said 'guarentee'.

If it helps increase our chance of CL qualification then we should be looking to buy an upgrade on Barnes/Gray/Albrighton.

There must be a number of players who will give more assists and goals than those three at the moment.

27 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Taking me too literally when I said 'guarentee'.

If it helps increase our chance of CL qualification then we should be looking to buy an upgrade on Barnes/Gray/Albrighton.

There must be a number of players who will give more assists and goals than those three at the moment.

I get it and on paper at least I can see where you're coming from, but this is January, it's a tough market and we are far from having a guarantee of CL football next season.

Our preference might be for Player A, who would be available for say 50m in the summer if we offered CL football.  Why then go for Player B now at a cost of 30m? You then have a situation where you spend another 50m on Player A and have your January 30m Player B sit on the bench, or miss out altogether on Player A and go into a CL campaign with your second choice player - not ideal for anyone.

I think we just need to be a bit patient in this window unless there is an unbelievable offer available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WilmslowFox said:

Exactly.  When have we ever brought in a decent player in January?

I mean, yes, there was Youri Tielemens last year, but that was just a loan deal.

What I mean is, can you name a current starting player who signed permanently in January?  Not on loan.  Permanently.  What?  Ndidi?  Well, I suppose.

But, lets put it another way...  When have we ever made a signing in January that actually contributed to us winning anything?  Eh?  Tell me that!  Riyad who?

Anyway, everyone needs to stop moaning that nothing is happening - George Thomas has gone on loan to Den Haag.

Bit of strawman argument that isn't it really.

You would do well to include the entire post instead of a snippet in a failed attempt at Juvenile humour. I said if someone ticks all the boxes (which all of your examples clearly did) then we should do business, if not, there's no point forcing through expensive purchases in our current situation for the sake of it. 

Edited by Manwell Pablo