Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lowestoft Fox

Why is there so little transfer activity ? We need to strengthen do we not ?

Most of the transfers of any worth are done in the summer,(Van Dyke accepted) the Jan transfer window is more about sounding out those transfer targets for a summer move and proberbly privately agreeing a move with the club agent and player ( Mahrez ), i dont expect anything other than a loan CB to come in.

8 hours ago, Lowestoft Fox said:

It seems to me we need to strengthen a tad . But there's no solid links . If we want to cement top four surely we should be looking to do so .

The reality is, we are shopping from a smaller pool of players bc they need to fit our style of play. Unfortunately, most sides primarily play counter-attacking football, as only very talented sides can succeed playing our brand of fluid, attacking football, and such players often command a premium. Add to that the experience premium that players with Prem or top league experience and success command, and we are left with possible additions who are outrageously expensive.

Now, certainly we could bring in some players performing in the Championship. Say we bring in a winger from the Championship though, are they better than what we have? Better than Perez, Gray, and Barnes? 

I agree we need more players. If we don't add a CB who can play in the Prem, we have failed the January window. But it is still pretty early in the window, and teams are still holding out hope for a huge cash windfall. I imagine we will have opportunities later in the window, when teams in need of a cash infusion start signaling a greater willingness to deal. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing us make a competitive offer for Demiral despite his injury, and then bring in somebody on loan. He could work his way back into shape the beginning of next season, it would help us keep Soyuncu, and we would have a dynamite young CB pairing, and teams like Man City and Arsenal are almost certain to drop away from bidding for him. So he won't play until August or so, so what? He wasn't going to replace Evans anyhow this season, he was just going to provide cover. The loan will take care of that.

It seems to me we need to strengthen a tad . But there's no solid links . If we want to cement top four surely we should be looking to do so .

I understand Jan is a difficult window to operate in but other teams again seem to be doing business. 

CB was priority but I can't believe the club put all there eggs in 1 basket ...... Turkish lad from juventus

Firstly, the club keep their transfer activity very quiet. Nobody knew anything about us being linked with Perez until pretty much the day he signed. Just because there are no nonsense stories in the press (they tend to be more interested in making stories up about our players joining "big clubs" rather than players we may be interested in signing) doesn't mean we aren't actively looking. For all we know we could have had several bids rejected for players or things could be in progress. We still have over 2 weeks to bring players in if needed.

Second, why do you assume  we put all our eggs in Demiral? We were interested yes but I highly doubt Congerton and his team went to Rodgers and Rudkin with a list containing only 1 name. Again, we could be interested in several players but it's just not common knowledge. 

Lastly, you mention other teams are doing business. Other than Liverpool getting Minamino, I don't see any major moves to prem clubs so far. 

I'm sure Rudkin, the scouting team, Rodgers and Top will be doing everything possible to strengthen the team but if nobody is available at the right price then we may have to wait till summer. Rather we get nobody than we do what United/Everton/west ham do and over pay for a bang average player. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

At absolute maximum we will sign a winger and CB. One will prob be on loan. So, I mean there is plenty of time and no guarantees that we are not close already and it's just been kept quiet. 

Admittedly, its probably wishful thinking on my part but that's what I hope is happening. 

Exactly so !!!  

As Brendan has said in press conferences, they will not be bringing in new players just for the sake of it,  Any way, we don't know what the football club are up to, so we need to be patient & trust the powers that be. They are well aware that we do need at least 2 new players to strengthen the squad. & for sure they aren't going to let the chance of finishing in the top 4 slip away . In God we trust & John Rudkin !!!

• Like 1

... we can all understand the difficulties of trading in this window, but there is a very real possibility of the team blowing up. 

Just looking at what has happened in respect of performances and even with Liverpool and Manchester City taken out of the equation we have been poor and need another option as opposed to the predictability of our existing play. 

We need a new option, someone to galvanise  a demoralised set of players, if we do not commit now, we will have to wait another year. That will be a big ask...... 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

The pies are not what they were , noticed a few soggy bottoms  !

the Singha beer is watery 

and 

I want KING size mars and snickers back in the tuck shop 

EAT SLEEP REPEAT 

•  

There's no pleasing some folk !!!  

I feel serious Rachid Ghezzal anxiety coming on again. You know when West Ham signed Yarmolenko and Felipe Anderson and we somehow ended up with the Algerian Josh Low. 

Wolves want Hwang Hee Chan, Everton want Yannick Carrasco and Thomas Lemar is destined for some Europa League also ran. 

We're going to end up spending 40m panic buying Hakan Calanoglu and watching Perez keep him out the team every week because he's actually willing to defend occasionally. 

It's not the not signing anyone that kills you, it's everyone else's transfer business while we're static. 

• Sad 1

The likelihood of us signing a new player in January is pretty low, let's face it. Especially on a permanent. Too expensive a market at this time of the year. Most clubs on the continent don't want to part ways with some of their most valuable assets that could do the job in the Premier League.

Also, we're just halfway through the transfer window and I suppose the activity will be the busiest in the days to come, as always.

Don't despair, but equally, don't get your hopes up too high.

This summer will be much more interesting, watch this space...

Edited by MC Prussian

This is really much easier to gronk than most are making it out to be.  January is a bad time to buy players.

Clubs in top divisions in contention for European spots at the top of their leagues - not selling anybody you'd want.

Clubs in lower divisions with a chance at promotion - not selling anybody you'd want.

Clubs in any division fighting relegation - not selling anybody you'd want.

That leaves you with very little.  Guys out of favor at elite clubs?  Maybe.  But elite clubs have no financial imperative to sell.  They'll only be looking to move players who are really off-form, or are causing clubhouse problems because they're not playing. And do you really want to add someone like that mid-season?

What's left?  A couple of guys with release clauses which can be activated in January, maybe.  There are a few clubs who represent what we're aiming for - not super-rich but talent deep because they target and develop youth.  Borussia Dortmund and Ajax spring most readily to mind.  Maybe Sevilla.  Even Monaco, though they're clearly not as good at it.  Maybe because those few clubs have a sort of systemic overlap with us, you could find a match - a Neres, maybe.  Or Tielemans last year, who was in a personality conflict with the manager.  But that's a unicorn situation - very rare indeed.  All the stars have to be aligned perfectly.

It's not quiet because we're not trying.  It's quiet because what we're trying to do is almost impossible.

Think it is more down to how much it would cost to get a decent CB in over how much a Champions league run would bring in, because we only have two fit CBs at present, so we are probably gambling on staying injury free for certain players.

20 hours ago, J.Lisemore said:

The phrase ‘if they become available’ does my head in. More or less ANY player is available at the right price.. if a club is keen on a player it is up to the buying club to force the selling clubs hand. 

Sure, that's a great idea if you're Man Utd and made of money. But AS SOON as we indicate that we're just another PL club that spend out of our ass, we WILL be taken to the cleaners on every transfer in. Playing hardball for every incoming transfer has gotten us to the point where we could spend £32 million on Tielemans instead of being sucked dry out of £40+ million.

The club being calm and sticking to their plans is absolutely an asset.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I feel serious Rachid Ghezzal anxiety coming on again. You know when West Ham signed Yarmolenko and Felipe Anderson and we somehow ended up with the Algerian Josh Low. 

Wolves want Hwang Hee Chan, Everton want Yannick Carrasco and Thomas Lemar is destined for some Europa League also ran. 

We're going to end up spending 40m panic buying Hakan Calanoglu and watching Perez keep him out the team every week because he's actually willing to defend occasionally. 

It's not the not signing anyone that kills you, it's everyone else's transfer business while we're static. 

These players being available shows the "January is too hard a window to get quality in" as an absolute cop out. If any of these guys end up at Wolves, Everton, West Ham or any clubs like that and Leicester miss out then it shows a lack of ambition imo.  If you want to seriously be regular CL participants then as a club you need to start acting and thinking like one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

These players being available shows the "January is too hard a window to get quality in" as an absolute cop out. If any of these guys end up at Wolves, Everton, West Ham or any clubs like that and Leicester miss out then it shows a lack of ambition imo.  If you want to seriously be regular CL participants then as a club you need to start acting and thinking like one.

Only Liverpool have been active so far of the "CL chasers", so I think thats a bit of stretch tbh.

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Only Liverpool have been active so far of the "CL chasers", so I think thats a bit of stretch tbh.

There's no reason why other clubs' business should define yours though.  It's clear for all to see that a decent wide player is very much required, of the names mentioned Leicester should be doing all they can to get such a player, maybe they are behind the scenes, who knows.