Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lowestoft Fox

Why is there so little transfer activity ? We need to strengthen do we not ?

The only players you'll sign in January are:

A) ones not wanted by their teams

B) ones from lower leagues (domestic or otherwise), as yet unproven in the top flight

C) ones nearing the end of their contract, for inflated sums

I'm always content to not do any business other than loans in January.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

There's no reason why other clubs' business should define yours though.  It's clear for all to see that a decent wide player is very much required, of the names mentioned Leicester should be doing all they can to get such a player, maybe they are behind the scenes, who knows.

Indeed, as has been the norm, we operate almost secretly (in the shadows :ph34r: ) and then there is a "leak" and it happens swiftly. I was merely using Liverpoool as a sole example of one of the CL chasers who has actually moved

(Now Tottenham obviously..................if they stillk count..)

Every window seems the same, moan about activity, wring palms, claim lack of ambition, etc, etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The only players you'll sign in January are:

A) ones not wanted by their teams

B) ones from lower leagues (domestic or otherwise), as yet unproven in the top flight

C) ones nearing the end of their contract, for inflated sums

I'm always content to not do any business other than loans in January.

There are gems to be found here if you look hard enough however, Tielemans last year should make that fairly obvious.  Guys like Lemar, Carrasco, etc fall into this bracket and woudl be a huge upgrade on anything you have at present, whether they come in on loan initially or whatever else.  Players are still available in January it's just that you may have to be a premium to get them at that time of the year, if you have to do that then it may be worth doing if it means qualifying for the Champions League where you'll get any extra money you've had to fork out back and then some.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

There are gems to be found here if you look hard enough however, Tielemans last year should make that fairly obvious.  Guys like Lemar, Carrasco, etc fall into this bracket and woudl be a huge upgrade on anything you have at present, whether they come in on loan initially or whatever else.  Players are still available in January it's just that you may have to be a premium to get them at that time of the year, if you have to do that then it may be worth doing if it means qualifying for the Champions League where you'll get any extra money you've had to fork out back and then some.

Tielemans was a loan, so no real risk. Doesn't work out; we give him back. Same happened with Huth and the rest is history.

Ndidi was the last real Jan gem. I wasn't saying it can't work, just that it's much higher risk for the reasons given.

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

These players being available shows the "January is too hard a window to get quality in" as an absolute cop out. If any of these guys end up at Wolves, Everton, West Ham or any clubs like that and Leicester miss out then it shows a lack of ambition imo.  If you want to seriously be regular CL participants then as a club you need to start acting and thinking like one.

To some extent I agree, but there is also plenty of evidence that the biggest club's transfer policies, in this country at least, are awful. Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs have all made some pretty poor purchases upwards of 40, 50 million in recent years. I'd rather we carried on in the fashion we have trying to buy a little bit smarter.

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He’s very much a Rodgers type player but no evidence so far that he has the physical attributes required in this league 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brendan-rodgers-verdict-bartosz-kapustkas-3741493

Lets see, would be good news if he emerged from his injury hell into the player he once appeared likely to become :fc:

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Kapustka :welcome:

I've been waiting for that one forgotten player to become unreal under Rodgers. Iheanacho is probably the most likely, but then is that that unexpected. Kapustka could be unreal still, he'd need to have significantly toughened up though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I've been waiting for that one forgotten player to become unreal under Rodgers. Iheanacho is probably the most likely, but then is that that unexpected. Kapustka could be unreal still, he'd need to have significantly toughened up though.

So...not everyone's favourite Auntie, Deidire then? 

Image result for ghezzal

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Didn’t know where to put this, surely couldn’t be us? 

With Iheanacho rediscovering his form I'd seriously doubt we'd be interested in a 27yo still playing in Belgium and valued at £8.5m.

• Like 3

As much as I rate our squad and think Brendan has done a fantastic job, I do think it is a risk not to bring any players in this window. There is still a couple of weeks left of the window so will give the club the benefit of the doubt but if we don’t end up getting anyone it is a mistake. We won’t have a better chance to get champions league football. Not getting a winger or another CB when we so obviously need one could really come back and bite us 

• Like 2

Perhaps we should ask two question

Why do we need to bring anyone in?

The obvious case too me is the CB position, although the desperation seems to have waned a little as Wes is not actually deceased.

Talk persists of Benkovic going on load, so perhaps we are confident on someone coming in

The other is the wide position, as we all pine for the Mahrez level output and the rampant excitement that he produced.

Ok, I'm sold. Why aren`t they here yet?

Well, because who we want either won`t come, or their club amazingly won`t willingly sell.

Or maybe, we feel the club is best served by not rocking the boat.

Or maybe, we recognise from experience (Don`t quote older January transfers, there is always outliers) that there is not a market worth pursuing in the Winter window and would rather forge the pathway for Summer deals now/throughout the year

Or, maybe I should get back to work before I get the sack

Edited by Dahnsouff

We have the best owners in world football and one of the best coaches in the Premier League. They know the stakes are high as we sit on the cusp of Champions League qualification. In this window, priority number one will be to hold onto our most talented young players. If we can bring in a player or two to strengthen our European bid we will, but we won't be held to ransom nor will we panic buy. Our transfer kitty will stretch much further in the summer and, if we have secured a Champions League spot, we'll be able to attract the higher calibre of player essential to our bid to become perennial top four challengers. 

On 15/01/2020 at 11:58, henrik_62 said:

Mahrez was bought in Jan...just saying

• Haha 1

Would someone like Fraser be a good interim signing in January if that’s the right term. He’d improve what you have just now and it may be easier to get him at a fair price given he’s soon to be out of contract. Then come the summer, hopefully having qualified for the champions league you go out and bring in a real top wide player, a genuine difference maker. That means Long term Fraser really enhances the squad and is maybe first reserve but in the short term he provides a more risk adverse upgrade on what’s already in the squad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Would someone like Fraser be a good interim signing in January if that’s the right term. He’d improve what you have just now and it may be easier to get him at a fair price given he’s soon to be out of contract. Then come the summer, hopefully having qualified for the champions league you go out and bring in a real top wide player, a genuine difference maker. That means Long term Fraser really enhances the squad and is maybe first reserve but in the short term he provides a more risk adverse upgrade on what’s already in the squad.

I think he’s the most realistic option who could come in and immediately upgrade us. Like you said we could then look for the big signing in the summer and Fraser would be a great squad player. 

• Like 2