Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Army on the streets would definitely calm folk down. :unsure:

Might bring home the seriousness of the situation? Clearly some people just don't get it.

Anyway, my mate is a police officer in London. He hasn't heard anything about the army being in town. That was when he left at 9pm yesterday though, he's back in tonight.

10 minutes ago, Xen said:

Last week was supposed to be my peak week for Manchester marathon on the 5th April. Cancelled on Friday morning and (as yet) I've not ran since. More than doubled my usual mileage over the last 12 weeks so when it was announced (even though it was already pretty obvious) I just lost all motivation. It's given me some time to let a few ongoing niggles work themselves out at least, and I'll get back outside before long. Got the day off tomorrow so might try a HM time trial if I'm feeling up for it, but its not quite the same as doing my first full with all the crowds... Haven't quite got it in me for the full distance on my lonesome, though.

Ah well, not much anyone can do about it. Its supposed to be being rearranged for later in the year but (last I checked) they hadn't announced the date yet. Not sure I'm all that keen though if I'm honest, so might find something shorter or closer to home. Leicester, potentially, if the new course is appealing enough.

I've kinda' been there ... while training for a big city marathon my body has broke down with injury. Absolutely devastating .... proper man tears when you realise it is all over ..... and then .... well ... deflation. 

All that hard work .... and then this freakshow of a sh*t storm. Feel for you.

You seem quite positive though. And we both need to get back on it. It keeps me happy and stress-free. Kinda' helps clear the mind and be positive.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Schools announcement at 5pm to parliament.  Is it me or are the devolved Governments just desperate to look like they know what they are doing by doing things just slightly sooner?

I think they are more politically motivated.  Lots of people think that it should happen.  It will happen, but they can be made to look good if they do it first.

• Like 2

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

It's a bit pathetic isn't it.

Absolutely.  Now is not the time for political point scoring.  Now is the time to show a bit of maturity and show the people that they can work together and support the objectives of the government. 

This will all go much better if everyone is on the same page.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Yes, I felt for them when I saw this too. I’ve ran it a few times myself and about now I’d be enjoying starting to taper down my training ready for the big day, and then for my exercise levels to drop off a cliff after. To have to keep some of the miles in your legs then pick up the intensity and endurance as you come to the back end of the summer would have been hard, especially on those really hot summer days. 

I've trained through the summer months for a couple of marathons. Hated it .... your long run on a Sunday and all you see is beer gardens full of people, picnics, bbq's & queues at ice cream vans. This while you slog out a solitary 20 miles in the sunshine. Purgatory!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Maybe, but I think anyone would do the same in their situation. They are also making the decisions before they're confirmed in England, so why not?

Just now, Kopfkino said:

Why is Boris still pretending that he won't have to extend the transition? He might as well say it now if not just to shore sterling up

According to Peter Foster they will announce it, just working on details with EU.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

Why is Boris still pretending that he won't have to extend the transition? He might as well say it now if not just to shore sterling up

I think it's being prepared at the minute - can't remember where I heard it though.

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Who's saying this? :huh:

27 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Schools announcement at 5pm to parliament.  Is it me or are the devolved Governments just desperate to look like they know what they are doing by doing things just slightly sooner?

24 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I think they are more politically motivated.  Lots of people think that it should happen.  It will happen, but they can be made to look good if they do it first.

22 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Here? 

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

He's saying devolved governments rushing to be first to announce for polical points is pathetic. Not that closing the schools is pathetic. And he's right tbf. 

How is it for political points? 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Wolves owners own the UK's only ventilator manufacturer and have just invested in to a German company helping create vaccines against CV. 

We cured you all of coronavirus..... you'll never sing that...

I can see the schools being closed early with on-line lessons available.

This will be particularly difficult for families without access to a computer - there will be many; a phone would be a very difficult medium for lessons.

Seems quite possible GCSE's will be postponed until late summer, before universities start. This would enable teachers to do take proper classes for those affected.

Assuming of course we are staring to return to normal.