Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

It's looking like social distancing/some type of lockdown up until early summer to get that curve, not only flat but diminishing. 

Then stringent testing and monitoring so that we can get back to some sort of normality with the option reinforce lockdown if numbers start rising again. 

The figures for Italy for last 24 hours were just announced.

By some margin, the highest figures yet for both new cases (+4207) and deaths (+475) - and the Italian figure for people in a serious/critical condition keeps rising day by day.

Almost as many have died in Italy as in China now. :nono:

It would be really good to see those figures turn round, or at least slow down, as a sign that the shutdown there is having a real impact......not happening yet, is it?

Of course, for various reasons, that doesn't necessarily mean that the UK will follow the same trajectory - but so far, it pretty much has....

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

By some margin, the highest figures yet for both new cases (+4207) and deaths (+475) - and the Italian figure for people in a serious/critical condition keeps rising day by day.

It would be really good to see those figures turn round, or at least slow down, as a sign that the shutdown there is having a real impact......not happening yet, is it?

Of course, for various reasons, that doesn't necessarily mean that the UK will follow the same trajectory - but so far, it pretty much has....

Hopefully! Depends when they were tested and how long it takes for those test results to be announced. A few days, a week? 

The number of deaths is still alarming as ever though :(

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

What's damaging in Italy is the fact that it's concentrated to Lombardy, it's something like 70%+ of the deaths have been there. If it was more widespread throughout the country then they'd be able to deal with it better.

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Do shut up and sod off to the politics thread.

2 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Shut yer mouth 

Look, we've all a drink...

Peace and goodwill to Leicester fans atm :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yeah not great from them, and we have followed their example in most things (alongside Spain). 

31 minutes ago, Lionator said:

What's damaging in Italy is the fact that it's concentrated to Lombardy, it's something like 70%+ of the deaths have been there. If it was more widespread throughout the country then they'd be able to deal with it better.

True. Though figures suggest that it has spread fairly widely across northern Italy - but less so in the South yet.

I don't have a great knowledge of Italian geography/regions, but all the highest figures below are for northern regions - though there's a fair number in Lazio (Rome region), too, and figures are rising nationwide.

Hopefully the shutdown will allow them to keep a lid on that so that their hospitals can cope in the way you suggest and the figures will turn round sooner rather than later.....

From Corriere Della Sera (infections, not deaths)...

I dati Regione per Regione

Lombardia 17713 (+1493, 9.2%)
Emilia-Romagna 4525 (+594, 15,1%)
Veneto 3214 (+510, 18.9%)
Piemonte 2341 (+444, 23,4%)
Marche 1568 (+197, 14,4%)
Liguria 887 (+109, 14%)
Campania 460 (-)
Toscana 1330 (+277, 26,3%
Sicilia 282 (+45, 19%)
Lazio 724 (+117, 19,3%)
Friuli-Venezia Giulia 462 (+68, 17,3%)
Abruzzo 263 (+34, 14,8%)
Puglia 383 (+43, 12,6%)
Umbria 247 (+50, 25,4%)
Bolzano 376 (+85, 29,2%)
Calabria 129 (+15, 13,2%)
Sardegna 134 (+17, 14,5%)
Valle d’Aosta 165 (+29, 21,3%)
Trento 455 (+70, 18,2%)
Molise 28 (+3, 12%)
Basilicata 27 (+7, 35%)

Edited by Alf Bentley

2 hours ago, nnfox said:

Might bring home the seriousness of the situation? Clearly some people just don't get it.

Anyway, my mate is a police officer in London. He hasn't heard anything about the army being in town. That was when he left at 9pm yesterday though, he's back in tonight.

Been advised the military are likely to be deployed on the streets due to a lockdown in the near future. Also heard from an someone fairly high up within the NHS that a lockdown commencing Friday (unsure of the areas/duration) is due to be announced. 

Not sure if I’m late to the party here as I’ve been out all day with the dog!

13 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Feedback from an NHS nurse.

Hospital is eerily empty. Normal respiratory admissions  of heavy smoking.malingers seem to have got better

No elderly Asian grandmas with zero english and questionable passports have gone awol

A&e getting about 20 a day instead of 200.

Same, it's amazing. Hospitals are so much more pleasant without the public clogging up the unit and corridors, you can actually focus on looking after your patients. I would honestly permanently ban visitors from hospitals, or like 1 per patient and zero on ICU. Feels way more hygienic too.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

True. Though figures suggest that it has spread fairly widely across northern Italy - but less so in the South yet.

I don't have a great knowledge of Italian geography/regions, but all the highest figures below are for northern regions - though there's a fair number in Lazio (Rome region), too, and figures are rising nationwide.

Hopefully the shutdown will allow them to keep a lid on that so that their hospitals can cope in the way you suggest and the figures will turn round sooner rather than later.....

From Corriere Della Sera...

I dati Regione per Regione

Lombardia 17713 (+1493, 9.2%)
Emilia-Romagna 4525 (+594, 15,1%)
Veneto 3214 (+510, 18.9%)
Piemonte 2341 (+444, 23,4%)
Marche 1568 (+197, 14,4%)
Liguria 887 (+109, 14%)
Campania 460 (-)
Toscana 1330 (+277, 26,3%
Sicilia 282 (+45, 19%)
Lazio 724 (+117, 19,3%)
Friuli-Venezia Giulia 462 (+68, 17,3%)
Abruzzo 263 (+34, 14,8%)
Puglia 383 (+43, 12,6%)
Umbria 247 (+50, 25,4%)
Bolzano 376 (+85, 29,2%)
Calabria 129 (+15, 13,2%)
Sardegna 134 (+17, 14,5%)
Valle d’Aosta 165 (+29, 21,3%)
Trento 455 (+70, 18,2%)
Molise 28 (+3, 12%)
Basilicata 27 (+7, 35%)

Yeah those top 4 are the most populated places outside of Rome. Lombardia is Milan/Bergamo, Emilia is Bologna, Veneto is Venice/Verona and Piemonte is Turin so a lot of the big northern cities are being ravaged. Deaths aren't really that important at the moment in terms of working out whether their restrictions are working as it takes 2/3 weeks to die from this. They probably will keep increasing for another week sadly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

After I’d finished, I got my medal and went through horse guards to the pub where my mates were waiting for me with the most welcome and refreshing pint(s) I’d ever had.

Ah those post-marathon pints in the April sunshine. To be savored for sure. In fact its worth going through the training regime just for the bliss of the post-marathon unravel.

Pubs eh ... only been a couple o' days and already we're reminiscing about the good times spent in them. lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Yeah those top 4 are the most populated places outside of Rome. Lombardia is Milan/Bergamo, Emilia is Bologna, Veneto is Venice/Verona and Piemonte is Turin so a lot of the big northern cities are being ravaged. Deaths aren't really that important at the moment in terms of working out whether their restrictions are working as it takes 2/3 weeks to die from this. They probably will keep increasing for another week sadly. 

You're right, I'm sure.

Though the regional figures quoted are for current cases, not deaths. Let's hope those don't keep rising or that could be a worse sign than a continued increase in the deaths figure....

12 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

You're right, I'm sure.

Though the regional figures quoted are for current cases, not deaths. Let's hope those don't keep rising or that could be a worse sign than a continued increase in the deaths figure....

I see! If everyone has been following the lockdown then it will decrease at some point, it physically would be impossible for it not to unless the virus was jumping through walls and buildings.

It's shocking news. Imo, the UK needs to take far more drastic measures right now. Civil liberties are a luxury we can afford to be without, for however long it takes, if that helps to slow or to stop the spread of this thing. Maybe all public transport should be suspended.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

How has germany managed to keep the death rate so low? 11,000 cases 27 deaths compared to our 2700 cases 104 deaths.

They may well have tested more than us so within the 11,000 will be a ton of people who only have mild symptoms.  Most of our confirmed cases are towards the more serious end of the scale so will contain a higher proportion of deaths.

32 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

How has germany managed to keep the death rate so low? 11,000 cases 27 deaths compared to our 2700 cases 104 deaths.

Mass testing so they will include much more with mild/no symptoms.

1 minute ago, nnfox said:

They may well have tested more than us so within the 11,000 will be a ton of people who only have mild symptoms.  Most of our confirmed cases are towards the more serious end of the scale so will contain a higher proportion of deaths.

There's a study which found that only 14% of the people who had the disease in Wuhan were ever diagnosed, with the other 86% being either asymptomatic or simply having such mild symptoms that they didn't even notice. So for each person who gets a diagnosis, 6 have the disease but will not get a diagnosis and a number of them probably won't even have symptoms. However you're still infectious even if you don't have symptoms, which is why we're having to see the measures that we are doing.

The positive news is that an antibody test is going to become available very soon. This means we can track who has had it and who hasn't as the body will have create antibodies to fight it. Once that's done then those who have had it can start life again as normal, whereas those without may have to still adhere to restrictions if the virus is still quite prevalent. This sort of thing will avoid us being in complete lockdown until a vaccine is found (phew).

Germany are most likely to be testing the hell out of people though. It could also be that younger people are being affected more and it's not reached elderly clusters like it has in Italy. Or quite simply that they have an exceptionally well resourced healthcare system. Probably a combo of the three.

• Like 4