Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

58 minutes ago, Xen said:

Makes sense. A lot of these events are growing to be bigger than officially organised races now and can have upwards of 500 people, and they often attract a number of older runners and volunteers. With every other public gathering of that scale being shut down itd be naive for it to continue.

Hopefully it doesn't stop people running at all, though (providing that's still allowed). Running solo should be absolutely fine and exercise+fresh air can boost the immune system (as long as its not too intense) so it might actually help in the fight against the virus.

Totally agree ... one of the reasons I made the effort on Saturday despite the rain was I figured its number would be up.

All those volunteers & runners exchanging barcodes and panting heavily in close proximity with each other.

You got to feel as well for all those well into their London Marathon training. A good few would have put quite a few miles into their legs over the last month or two.

Keep fit & stay happy :)

12 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Some schools in London are shutting from today. 

Plenty around the country doing it themselves off their own backs as well. Too risky with parents/staff showing symptoms and then possibly transmitting it to kids and further. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Military involvement could be to support the paramedics, nhs staff etc who are likely to be effected if there is a lock down with schools closed etc.

It doesn't mean they'll be digging trenches outside Iceland cus someone is taking too much turd roll.

WE WILL FIGHT THEM IN THE LOO ROLL AISLE! WE WILL FIGHT THEM IN THE CLEANING PRODUCTS AISLE! WE WILL FIGHT THEM IN ASDA LIDL AND TESCO! WE WILL FIGHT THEM IN ALDI SAINSBURY’S AND THE CO-OPS! :englandsmile4wf:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Plenty around the country doing it themselves off their own backs as well. Too risky with parents/staff showing symptoms and then possibly transmitting it to kids and further. 

The Mrs sister is a teacher in London hers and her kids school closed today. We kept ours off from Tuesday but as far as i am aware it’s still open only the nursery class my youngest goes to has closed. 4 and half weeks min kids off is going to be fun isn’t it 🙈😂

The pound now at its lowest level against the dollar since the mid 80’s. 

£1 = $1.18 :o

Doesn't seem that long ago it was two dollars to the pound

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Totally agree ... one of the reasons I made the effort on Saturday despite the rain was I figured its number would be up.

All those volunteers & runners exchanging barcodes and panting heavily in close proximity with each other.

You got to feel as well for all those well into their London Marathon training. A good few would have put quite a few miles into their legs over the last month or two.

Yes, I felt for them when I saw this too. I’ve ran it a few times myself and about now I’d be enjoying starting to taper down my training ready for the big day, and then for my exercise levels to drop off a cliff after. To have to keep some of the miles in your legs then pick up the intensity and endurance as you come to the back end of the summer would have been hard, especially on those really hot summer days. 

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The opposite is the bigger problem.  Children seem to commonly suffer few or no symptoms with Coronavirus and have poor hygiene habits, and the growing consensus is they’re a key vector in the spread.  In Japan they’ve started referring to them as “asymptomatic super spreaders”.

Guest MattP
Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

It took 3 months to reach 100,000 confirmed cases. It’s taken an additional 12 days to reach 200,000.

Just hope people will now start to realise how serious it is.

Still got complete morons on Facebook saying it's like a cold.

27 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Last week was supposed to be my peak week for Manchester marathon on the 5th April. Cancelled on Friday morning and (as yet) I've not ran since. More than doubled my usual mileage over the last 12 weeks so when it was announced (even though it was already pretty obvious) I just lost all motivation. It's given me some time to let a few ongoing niggles work themselves out at least, and I'll get back outside before long. Got the day off tomorrow so might try a HM time trial if I'm feeling up for it, but its not quite the same as doing my first full with all the crowds... Haven't quite got it in me for the full distance on my lonesome, though.

Ah well, not much anyone can do about it. Its supposed to be being rearranged for later in the year but (last I checked) they hadn't announced the date yet. Not sure I'm all that keen though if I'm honest, so might find something shorter or closer to home. Leicester, potentially, if the new course is appealing enough.

Edited by Xen

Few articles going round about London being shut down, and apparently (from my friends) there's a high police presence and army trucks around too. So all my friends (late 20s young professionals) who are clearly likely to have it and likely to have mild/no symptoms have bolted back home, taking the virus with them.

So I guess it will be bad everywhere in a few days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xen said:

Last week was supposed to be my peak week for Manchester marathon on the 5th April. Cancelled on Friday morning and (as yet) I've not ran since. More than doubled my usual mileage over the last 12 weeks so when it was announced (even though it was already pretty obvious) I just lost all motivation. It's given me some time to let a few ongoing niggles work themselves out at least, and I'll get back outside before long. Got the day off tomorrow so might try a HM time trial if I'm feeling up for it, but its not quite the same as doing my first full with all the crowds... Haven't quite got it in me for the full distance on my lonesome, though.

Ah well, not much anyone can do about it. Its supposed to be being rearranged for later in the year but (last I checked) they hadn't announced the date yet. Not sure I'm all that keen though if I'm honest, so might find something shorter or closer to home. Leicester, potentially, if the new course is appealing enough.

At least your lungs will be in good shape! Silver linings and that

24 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Yes, I felt for them when I saw this too. I’ve ran it a few times myself and about now I’d be enjoying starting to taper down my training ready for the big day, and then for my exercise levels to drop off a cliff after. To have to keep some of the miles in your legs then pick up the intensity and endurance as you come to the back end of the summer would have been hard, especially on those really hot summer days. 

An old friend of mine has gone from in training to run for a blood cancer charity to self isolating for 12 weeks as he is high risk.  Nightmare.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Rumour I've heard from someone in local government is total lockdown from tomorrow evening with army patrolling the streets. 

Could well be bullshit, could be true.

Narrowing the odds of it happening with that statement ain't they!

7 minutes ago, bmt said:

Few articles going round about London being shut down, and apparently (from my friends) there's a high police presence and army trucks around too. So all my friends (late 20s young professionals) who are clearly likely to have it and likely to have mild/no symptoms have bolted back home, taking the virus with them.

So I guess it will be bad everywhere in a few days.

My full freezer and 65406164* toilet rolls are going to come in handy!  Who is the idiot now??  HHAHAHAAAJHHAAA

*24 at most.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

An old friend of mine has gone from in training to run for a blood cancer charity to self isolating for 12 weeks as he is high risk.  Nightmare.

Thast awful. Not only is it the loss of fitness, it’s also the breaking of the routine that can wreck your training and can be hard to get back into. Hope he’s well and can get back on it when possible.

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Rumour I've heard from someone in local government is total lockdown from tomorrow evening with army patrolling the streets. 

Could well be bullshit, could be true.

heard that down here too though unclear when the 'lock down' (100% work from home) begins.