Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’d do exactly the same, we moved in June 2019 and I wanted to wait until after brexit in case they plummeted.

A house is a home but it’s also an investment and it’s smart if you can buy low. Looks like I bought at the peak :(

Wouldn't worry too much about it unless you plan to sell it within the next few years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox in the sox said:

I understand that measures have been put in place, obviously the gyms want to keep running...but can I ask why you are still attending when you have been asked to stop travel/contact that is not essential.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Cos I'm a twat

And quite possibly a crack addict ! 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I go the Gym opposite the Leicester Ground and it's still running as normal at the moment. Albeit its got less people then usual but still people are going. 

Ive stopped going.  I really really miss it.

People sweat, cough and splutter at the gym.

Unless they are disinfecting every surface and bit of kit after every use, it’s a risk society shouldn’t take.

Close the gyms.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

Ive stopped going.  I really really miss it.

People sweat, cough and splutter at the gym.

Unless they are disinfecting every surface and bit of kit after every use, it’s a risk society shouldn’t take.

Close the gyms.

I'm having that dilemma right now. At the weekend it was carry on as normal. I did a parkrun and took in a non-league game. (tbh felt really uncomfortable in the bar at half-time, bumper crowd because of the cancelled league games.)

I'm now sat at home now as my office is on lockdown, three colleagues self isolating in what is a small company. Under normal circumstances I'd hit the gym but ..... these ain't normal circumstances. I'm still paying bloody membership though and it is a habit and something I enjoy doing.

Parkrun is cancelled as well now. 

I was just reading something about that. Apparently running for 30 to 60 min does boost the immune system.

It's just I popped a calf on the parkrun Saturday. Still a bit tight. And there's a x-trainer only a two minutes jog down the road.

Edited by swanlee

51 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Wouldn't worry too much about it unless you plan to sell it within the next few years. 

I’m not worried just disappointed that I might have been able to get it cheaper later. You win some you lose some I guess.

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

I think the reason it's being done like this is to get people to take it seriously, and the only way to do that is to produce a certain level of fear. The majority of the country still hasn't seen anyone personally suffer with it, if you try to lock the country down by force without that then you will have trouble on your hands. 

It's why it's simplistically naieve to be saying "we should have shut everything down weeks ago reeeeee!". The people have to accept it. 

My family were supposed to be going to the pub for dinner on Sunday, we rang last night to cancel because at least half of us are in the "bigger risk" category, the woman on the phone said "if you cancel chances are you won't get a table if you change your mind, we're fully booked". People still aren't taking it seriously and there's only 3 ways of making them; force them to with fines/police whatever, show them by somebody they know getting sick, or make them scared enough to listen. To me, one of those 3 is the only current viable option. 

Even up until Monday I was the only one in my immediate family taking it seriously.Now 3 of them are on lockdown due to underlying health issues.They’re taking it pretty seriously now 🙁

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I’d do exactly the same, we moved in June 2019 and I wanted to wait until after brexit in case they plummeted.

A house is a home but it’s also an investment and it’s smart if you can buy low. Looks like I bought at the peak :(

I was planning on exactly the same - we probably could've stretched to something last year if we really wanted and if we'd gone for a new-build with the extra assistance for FTB, but had a feeling the market would be unstable after Brexit. Didn't predict it would go quite like this, though...

As @Christoph says though, as long as you're not planning on moving again in the short-term you won't stand to lose out too much. You might miss out on some profit 10+ years down the line, but in the here-and-now thats inconsequential. I think I'd prefer to be paying a mortgage right now with the talks of mortgage relief from the banks, rather than renting privately and not really knowing whats going on financially...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Parkrun is cancelled as well now. 

Makes sense. A lot of these events are growing to be bigger than officially organised races now and can have upwards of 500 people, and they often attract a number of older runners and volunteers. With every other public gathering of that scale being shut down itd be naive for it to continue.

Hopefully it doesn't stop people running at all, though (providing that's still allowed). Running solo should be absolutely fine and exercise+fresh air can boost the immune system (as long as its not too intense) so it might actually help in the fight against the virus.

2 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

This has done it for me, the one year I manage to get tickets. Glasto cancelled, Kasabian will probably be cancelled, Euros cancelled. Summer of 19' will be god awful.

It’s done it for me too, I’ve just seen on the news that it was the 50th anniversary, I was there at the 25th. Where’s the years gone.:ermm:

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Why are they shutting only the schools in Wales and Scotland?

We have our own meeting later on today. It's assumed we will announce the same action.

USA/Canada border closes for all non-essential travel now too.