Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, TheUltimateWinner said:

Just an update from the school I work at, us among many others are struggling to stay open past Friday due to low staff numbers.

It's very weird being at work right now, in a way it's quite comforting having some normal routine, but there's a cloud just constantly hanging over everyone. You'll walk around and spot little signs that stuff isn't right, like staff members missing, certain notices about events being cancelled due to Coronavirus etc etc... 

Got a feeling all schools might close from Friday. 

It's only a week then until Easter hols when they'll be off for two weeks anyway.

A couple of secondary schools around here have already closed due to the fact they don't have enough teachers.

Three weeks as home with the kids - deep joy. Think there's a good chance I'll kill at least one of them.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

:blink:

#Andrexgate

We're now on bog roll rationing in our house. The kids use about 10 sheets a wipe when 2 will do. 

I've now mastered the art of one wipe per sheet.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think this will bring out the worst in humanity. Wonder how many with spare cash in the bank are already anticipating a property crash.

I mean, I've been saving for years with my partner to buy our first house and we're just about at that point now, so when the situation has calmed down (possibly 2021 at this rate) and if the property market does crash then we absolutely will be taking advantage of that, assuming my savings can stay somewhat intact.

I'm not actively hoping for the situation to escalate and cause a crash, but I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of it if it does and I won't feel guilty about doing so.

If you were specifically talking about those who would be buying extra property as investment (of which I'm sure there will be many), then I apologise and absolutely agree with you.

4 minutes ago, oakman said:

Glastonbury cancelled.

This has done it for me, the one year I manage to get tickets. Glasto cancelled, Kasabian will probably be cancelled, Euros cancelled. Summer of 19' will be god awful.

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

We're now on bog roll rationing in our house. The kids use about 10 sheets a wipe when 2 will do. 

I've now mastered the art of one wipe per sheet.

With so much hand washing going on, time to get prehistoric on the toilet regimes :unsure:

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Guilty :wave:

My gym has issued strict guidelines about keeping 2m apart from other users, reduced numbers allowed in, cancelled group classes, extra cleaning/sanitizing etc.

Got a feeling they'll close soon though as other gyms in town have already done so.

I understand that measures have been put in place, obviously the gyms want to keep running...but can I ask why you are still attending when you have been asked to stop travel/contact that is not essential.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

This has done it for me, the one year I manage to get tickets. Glasto cancelled, Kasabian will probably be cancelled, Euros cancelled. Summer of 19' will be god awful.

Might need to buy a new calender :ph34r:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Xen said:

I mean, I've been saving for years with my partner to buy our first house and we're just about at that point now, so when the situation has calmed down (possibly 2021 at this rate) and if the property market does crash then we absolutely will be taking advantage of that, assuming my savings can stay somewhat intact.

I'm in exactly the same position mate. Thankfully I live at home at the moment so should be able to leave my savings in tact (even increase them if I still go to work as normal).

Just now, fox in the sox said:

I understand that measures have been put in place, obviously the gyms want to keep running...but can I ask why you are still attending when you have been asked to stop travel/contact that is not essential.

Cos I'm a twat

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Wouldn't you rather follow the advice and do a bit of exercise at home or walking rather than helping us into a situation where you might be completely confined to home?

This is that ‘social shaming’ I heard about on the wireless this morning isn’t it :blush:

Consider myself bollocked.

29 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Just an update from the school I work at, us among many others are struggling to stay open past Friday due to low staff numbers.

It's very weird being at work right now, in a way it's quite comforting having some normal routine, but there's a cloud just constantly hanging over everyone. You'll walk around and spot little signs that stuff isn't right, like staff members missing, certain notices about events being cancelled due to Coronavirus etc etc... 

My daughter's a Primary School Teacher now at home as her son has a high temperature.

Interesting with all this ‘social distancing’ and stay at home advise that PMQ’s is still going ahead at 12pm with hundreds of MPs gathered in the HOC :whistle:

Does anyone expect the government to impose a total lock-down? Fwiw, I think they should. Economic and social considerations should be secondary to the primary goal of defeating this thing. One big danger of this virus is that it's a single strand of RNA, which can readily mutate, so one infected person with mild symptoms can infect someone else with more virulent symptoms. These mutations are like a moving target for any vaccine to cope with. Worryingly, mutations of viruses tend to increase in virulence, and are only finally defeated because they kill their host victims. For me, this disaster lends weight to the theory that the dinosaurs died out, not because of a massive asteroid hit over Mexico 65m years ago, but because of them suffering the impact of a deadly virus. 

Just now, Izzy said:

Interesting with all this ‘social distancing’ and stay at home advise that PMQ’s is still going ahead at 12pm with hundreds of MPs gathered in the HOC :whistle:

Saw that. Its plain stupid. House of Commons is dropping to bits anyway, just get with the video conferencing already. :mad:

16 minutes ago, davieG said:

My daughter's a Primary School Teacher now at home as her son has a high temperature.

I hope they're all okay. To be fair, a lot of those who are self isolating here do just have colds, the new measures are just to try and stop those who do have Coronavirus from spreading it. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well wishes to you daughter and grandson @davieG

6 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

I hope they're all okay. To be fair, a lot of those who are self isolating here do just have colds, the new measures are just to try and stop those who do have Coronavirus from spreading it. 

Thanks.

Yes that's the hope at the moment I'd guess the odds on it just being a cold are quite strong.

14 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Does anyone expect the government to impose a total lock-down? Fwiw, I think they should. Economic and social considerations should be secondary to the primary goal of defeating this thing. One big danger of this virus is that it's a single strand of RNA, which can readily mutate, so one infected person with mild symptoms can infect someone else with more virulent symptoms. These mutations are like a moving target for any vaccine to cope with. Worryingly, mutations of viruses tend to increase in virulence, and are only finally defeated because they kill their host victims. For me, this disaster lends weight to the theory that the dinosaurs died out, not because of a massive asteroid hit over Mexico 65m years ago, but because of them suffering the impact of a deadly virus. 

It very likely was the Yucatan impact was responsible for the The Cretaceous–Paleogene (K–Pg) extinction event but the Deccan Traps may well have played a role in their demise. This is interesting though...

http://epi.ufl.edu/articles/ancient-virus-may-have-given-mammals-the-edge-during-dinosaur-extinction-era.html

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xen said:

I'm not actively hoping for the situation to escalate and cause a crash, but I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of it if it does and I won't feel guilty about doing so.

If you were specifically talking about those who would be buying extra property as investment (of which I'm sure there will be many), then I apologise and absolutely agree with you.

I’d do exactly the same, we moved in June 2019 and I wanted to wait until after brexit in case they plummeted.

A house is a home but it’s also an investment and it’s smart if you can buy low. Looks like I bought at the peak :(

36 minutes ago, Izzy said:

This is that ‘social shaming’ I heard about on the wireless this morning isn’t it :blush:

Consider myself bollocked.

I go the Gym opposite the Leicester Ground and it's still running as normal at the moment. Albeit its got less people then usual but still people are going.