Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, String fellow said:

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, there's an unintended biological world war happening right now, humans v. invisible enemy. Wars involve armies. 

I think you're being a little melodramatic there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surreal day. Two months tomorrow was meant to by my first A-level exam, but after the government announcement today this isn’t happening. 
I’m gutted, after spending 7 years, I’ve really enjoyed my time at the school / college and formed some good relationships with some great teachers and friends, it seems that by Friday that’ll be all gone.

I also had my heart set to study at either off the Newcastle universities next year but again, this appears unlikely. I really don’t know what will happen and it’s the uncertainty that worries me.

• Like 1

If being honest, am surprised that the local bus services are still operating as normal.

Considering as you would normally think being on public transport can maske this type of situation potentially worse.

Edited by Wymsey

Can confirm the tanks rumour.

Currently being mobilised to control the daily early morning crowds of pensioners outside Morrisons at Freeman's Park clambering to get their hands on the first eight-packs of Andrex 3-ply with Aloe Vera.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

Can confirm the tanks rumour.

Currently being mobilised to control the daily early morning crowds of pensioners outside Morrisons at Freeman's Park clambering to get their hands on the first eight-packs of Andrex 3-ply with Aloe Vera.

Hahaha this nearly had me then. Nearly spat some of my brew out. 

8 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’m not worried just disappointed that I might have been able to get it cheaper later. You win some you lose some I guess.

My mortgage is about 75% done atm. Just 1 or 2 things needed before we get a completion date. I must admit I’m a little anxious that all this bollocks could end up halting current applications at some point. 

The solicitor must be getting more and more frustrated each time the PA tells her it’s me calling....again!! 

7 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Surreal day. Two months tomorrow was meant to by my first A-level exam, but after the government announcement today this isn’t happening. 
I’m gutted, after spending 7 years, I’ve really enjoyed my time at the school / college and formed some good relationships with some great teachers and friends, it seems that by Friday that’ll be all gone.

I also had my heart set to study at either off the Newcastle universities next year but again, this appears unlikely. I really don’t know what will happen and it’s the uncertainty that worries me.

You have my (second-hand) solidarity.

My daughter was due to take GCSEs from May, now cancelled with no clear explanation yet as to what will happen instead.

As you say, though, there's also the social aspect. As my daughter's school has no sixth form, unless something miraculous happens with the virus in the next 2 months, she'll now be leaving school on Friday, on-line lessons notwithstanding.

Also, she heard earlier that 2 of her 3 best friends have been pulled out of school with immediate effect - so unexpectedly today was her last day at school with them, which she found upsetting.

I wouldn't write off your hopes of Uni in Newcastle in the autumn, though. The virus situation is clearly getting worse now, but things might be improving in 6 months - no guarantee, but they might be... Good luck!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

You have my (second-hand) solidarity.

My daughter was due to take GCSEs from May, now cancelled with no clear explanation yet as to what will happen instead.

As you say, though, there's also the social aspect. As my daughter's school has no sixth form, unless something miraculous happens with the virus in the next 2 months, she'll now be leaving school on Friday, on-line lessons notwithstanding.

Also, she heard earlier that 2 of her 3 best friends have been pulled out of school with immediate effect - so unexpectedly today was her last day at school with them, which she found upsetting.

I wouldn't write off your hopes of Uni in Newcastle in the autumn, though. The virus situation is clearly getting worse now, but things might be improving in 6 months - no guarantee, but they might be... Good luck!

Thanks mate. I honestly feel for everybody currently, including the GCSE students. When I did GCSEs I had something like 26 exams, it’s ridiculous and along with A - Levels is very stressful.

I think it’s the clarity. What happens next? (I can’t see exams being delayed till next year) but I don’t know whether they would use predicted grades or not. But yeah, it’s gutting for all isnt it - having to isolate yourself away from stuff you can’t control.

• Like 1

In my defence, tanks weren't mentioned. But part of the problem seems to be that in places like London, not everyone is avoiding unnecessary interaction. If we're serious about reducing the transmission rate, then maybe the sight of some military activity on the streets would help. If that sounds alarmist or scary, I apologise. What scares me is the sight of people not heeding the advice about avoiding unnecessary interaction, along with the alarming rise in deaths in southern Europe.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

To spray the public/community with disinfectant? :whistle:

My dad lives in Spain.  They've had notice that from 11pm tonight helicopters will be spraying their town with disinfectant!  Nobody is allowed out, nothing is allowed to move.

• Like 1