Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

48 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

It's the lack of honesty with so many people, especially those who use social media to control everybody, even though they class themselves as being on the "left". Strange to me seeing as the need to control is actually at odds with liberal philosophy.

And I just don't get why political direction even has to come into it when we are facing something that is seemingly so unpredictable and frightening. But no, still throngs of people coming out the woodwork more bothered about point scoring - essentially just personal attacks on Johnson and anyone else who disagrees with them.

Like I said, had he closed the borders as the Czechs, Poles and Russians did 2 months ago, they would have attacked him for being too conservative, even though it would have greatly reduced the number of infected, which is the most important thing. But that just doesn't matter with these people. They don't really care about what is happening, just their own self aggrandisement. All it does is make things more difficult and then they always project the blame anyway, like people with no integrity do.

Don't mean to contradict myself but for what it's worth, I'd always thought of myself as being naturally left leaning. But just seeing the amount of dishonesty, hypocrisy and immaturity coming from the so called "left" in recent years has really disturbed and alienated me. 

No matter how much older we all become, a level of petulance will always remain.

I think of that hypocrisy and immaturity as a sort of flailing of arms that you'd see from an 8 year old.

Replace not being allowed to go to that sleepover with not knowing how to react to the clusterfvck that is the right and its growing popularity.

Post-factualism is impossible to argue against, and so it's hard not to feel powerless to what's going on, and difficult to maintain a dignified and measured response. What you end up with is an angry response.

While it may not be the time for point scoring now, we must make a concerted effort to highlight the brutal marginalisation of our health service that this government has enforced, when this is all over.

Perhaps people will begin to realise that their actions will have led to actual deaths of actual people. That's a very tangible thing, which can very well be opposed and argued against. Perhaps then we may start to turn the tide.

For now, let's just get through this grim time.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I’ve lived in Derbyshire.......... comfortably likely to qualify on my stupid chart .............. 

these people should be named and shamed - there is no possibility of any miss understanding here - let’s all see the most stupid members of society in full technicolor and have them recorded for posterity - 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’ve lived in Derbyshire.......... comfortably likely to qualify on my stupid chart .............. 

these people should be named and shamed - there is no possibility of any miss understanding here - let’s all see the most stupid members of society in full technicolor and have them recorded for posterity - 

Could not agree more they are literally putting lifes at risk with their breath taking stupidity. W..kers.

3 to 6 months then to review if we’ve quashed it, before we go back to normal living then. 

If we’ve not, this is going to drag on for a while ....

Edited by Sly

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Been meaning to make a will for ages - just sat down to do it. You need 2 witnesses for it to be legal...non family members and over the age of 18....     :frusty:

Can't be done electronically or via video. Marvellous.

I can't imagine that we're the only ones who have considered doing this now. 

Handwrite, sign, pass (throw) over fence to neighbour, tell them you’ve just signed it and ask them to witness ..  job done.

Remember if it’s all fairly straightforward and unlikely to be contested then it will be good enough to ensure your wishes are carried out.   Put a personal note in (normal talk not legalised gobbledygook) to explain to your dearest and dearest what you have done and ask them to honour it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

3 to 6 months then to review if we’ve quashed it, before we go back to normal living then. 

Although I got the drift that means ‘relaxed’ social distancing rather than the type we have now 

11 minutes ago, Sly said:

Blimey 6 months! I’m moving to America, they reckon they’ll have it sorted by Easter 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Been meaning to make a will for ages - just sat down to do it. You need 2 witnesses for it to be legal...non family members and over the age of 18....     :frusty:

Can't be done electronically or via video. Marvellous.

I can't imagine that we're the only ones who have considered doing this now. 

Just prior to the current situation we had put things in motion to sort out our wills. Usually you'd go into the solicitors office to sign them, but we received ours in the post with instructions on how we can get them signed safely, it involves our neighbours standing at a safe distance at our front door wearing gloves 😊

Incidentally if people aren't aware, the National Free Wills network is fab. Get your (fairly straightforward) will written for free and professionally by a solicitor, with no obligation to leave anything to the charity you choose to go through. We decided to leave them a small amount, a bit more than what we would have had to pay for them, which would have been £375 plus VAT. 

https://www.nationalfreewills.net/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Handwrite, sign, pass (throw) over fence to neighbour, tell them you’ve just signed it and ask them to witness ..  job done.

Remember if it’s all fairly straightforward and unlikely to be contested then it will be good enough to ensure your wishes are carried out.   Put a personal note in (normal talk not legalised gobbledygook) to explain to your dearest and dearest what you have done and ask them to honour it. 

Yep, this is pretty much what we're doing 👍

Getting a bit sick of the school. I'm grateful that they're emailing work and things to look at but it seems a bit militant. Two pages of A4 instructions every day for each child covering every lesson for both kids and saying make sure you do this, make sure you do that. It's nigh on impossible to homeschool two kids in a small house when I'm also working and my Mrs is trying her hardest to get them interested. 

Edited by pds

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Although I got the drift that means ‘relaxed’ social distancing rather than the type we have now 

Yes, she did clarify it further afterwards. 

I suppose it depends how long the virus remains active within the human system. 

If we were to relax the social

distancing after 3 months, then got another flare up, we’d just be back to square 1.

It’s all a bit of an unknown at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

He wasn't one of the doctors who directly helped the Covid-19-affected patients, it has been reported.

He wasn’t working directly on the covid unit. But he was an ENT consultant who examines noses and throats, and likely caught it from patients who were asymptomatic (or had inexplicably lost their sense of smell...) ENT and eye doctors (like the whistleblower Chinese Dr) were the first to succumb in Wuhan due to their proximity to asymptomatic carriers’ faces. He was one of two ENT consultants who were the first doctors to be intubated a number of weeks ago, before the community spread was anywhere near what they are now.

4 minutes ago, Sly said:

distancing after 3 months, then got another flare up, we’d just be back to square 1.

Sorry, missed this.

Are we assuming now that the most likely scenario is a lockdown at the current level will continue for 3 months? Back end of June?

And then July onwards cautiously lift some measures and maintain distancing and keep things like large gatherings banned?

People have it much worse than me, I don't have kids to worry about and I can work from home. But even I can't see how I'm going to cope mentally with 3 months of basically working from home and watching Netflix.

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

One would hope that by this time, we would have sufficient availability on testing to jump on any hot spots that flared up  and that individuals would show sufficient responsibility to put their hands up and isolate if they feel symptoms oncoming.  random test8ng would have to continue to catch ‘asymptomatic’ spreaders ......

8 minutes ago, pds said:

Getting a bit sick of the school. I'm grateful that they're emailing work and things to look at but it seems a bit militant. Two pages of A4 instructions every day for each child covering every lesson for both kids and saying make sure you do this, make sure you do that. It's nigh on impossible to homeschool two kids in a small house when I'm also working and my Mrs is trying her hardest to get them interested. 

To hopefully put your mind at rest a bit, my next door neighbour is a head teacher and he said that none of the kids in his school have engaged with lessons yet. A friend of mine who is a class teacher was saying that only one or two out of her class have logged in to get work! This is going to be a learning process for everyone. If what you are getting from the school isn't helpful I am sure they will appreciate feedback as to what might work better - this is completely new to them as well as teaching online is very different to teaching in person. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brucey said:

He wasn’t working directly on the covid unit. But he was an ENT consultant who examines noses and throats, and likely caught it from patients who were asymptomatic (or had inexplicably lost their sense of smell...) ENT and eye doctors (like the whistleblower Chinese Dr) were the first to succumb in Wuhan due to their proximity to asymptomatic carriers’ faces. He was one of two ENT consultants who were the first doctors to be intubated a number of weeks ago, before the community spread was anywhere near what they are now.

I’ve just this reply, ignore my other post.

My guess would be the current social distancing rules will be relaxed around mid may, possibly v end April if we’re lucky.  (Not those at high risk)

That’s not pubs and clubs. - they may have to wait until June I reckon.   And that relies on there not being a renewed outbreak. 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rachhere said:

To hopefully put your mind at rest a bit, my next door neighbour is a head teacher and he said that none of the kids in his school have engaged with lessons yet. A friend of mine who is a class teacher was saying that only one or two out of her class have logged in to get work! This is going to be a learning process for everyone. If what you are getting from the school isn't helpful I am sure they will appreciate feedback as to what might work better - this is completely new to them as well as teaching online is very different to teaching in person. 

Most of my family are teachers. I'm very grateful to what they do and what they are doing, perhaps it's just me but I just want the kids to do a couple of hours learning a day and then have fun in the garden as much as possible for the rest. The school just seem a little overbearing. They're calling everyone and asking for photos to be emailed every day for all of the work. Their emails everyday with the plan for the next day are ridiculous and with words saying 'you must do this' etc it just seems unnecessary pressure on parents.

2 minutes ago, pds said:

Most of my family are teachers. I'm very grateful to what they do and what they are doing, perhaps it's just me but I just want the kids to do a couple of hours learning a day and then have fun in the garden as much as possible for the rest. The school just seem a little overbearing. They're calling everyone and asking for photos to be emailed every day for all of the work. Their emails everyday with the plan for the next day are ridiculous and with words saying 'you must do this' etc it just seems unnecessary pressure on parents.

I agree. I think bearing in mind how long schools are going to be shut through, there is definitely a place for a more rigorous approach to make sure that kids are still learning, but we are only one week into this - sounds like a bit too much too soon to me. My husband is an online tutor and contrary to what you might think his work has actually dropped a lot over the past week, but I am sure that will pick up again when everyone has had a chance to get their head round what's asked of them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

I agree. I think bearing in mind how long schools are going to be shut through, there is definitely a place for a more rigorous approach to make sure that kids are still learning, but we are only one week into this - sounds like a bit too much too soon to me. My husband is an online tutor and contrary to what you might think his work has actually dropped a lot over the past week, but I am sure that will pick up again when everyone has had a chance to get their head round what's asked of them. 

As if by magic the fifth email of today from the school has just landed in my inbox with a timetable highlighting when to do all of the lessons for the forthcoming week. 😂