Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I'm staying with a girl I've been seeing for around 4 months, her, her 7 year old daughter and me, it's stressing me the hell out, we're trying to give the little girl structure with a bit of learning, bit of creative time and some garden play, but she is winding me up something chronic, everything her mum tells her to do is met with some form of frustration or verbal outrage, we were long distance before all this and to go from that to living together for what has already been 12 days is really trying my patience, I've never been with a girl who has kids before and obviously this isn't a normal situation where I can pop to the pub or have my day at work to occupy myself, just seems like I can't get a break, the little girl will literally follow me up the stairs to the toilet and sits outside 'are you finished yet let's play!' it's driving me mad, it's 15+ hours a day and I'm just not used to it and not coping all that well, and I feel guilty, she's not going to school, expending enough energy and it's not fair on her either, sure people are in far worse positions than me I just needed a rant. 

Does she have a bike? make some form of stabilisers that lift the back wheel off the ground, then play a game of how how many times she can peddle for 5mins get her to count herself and give her some incentive for beating her scores give it a hour she will be knackered for the day 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

To be honest none of us will know what the right course of action was until it’s all over! We place our faith in the scientists and government because it’s all we can do. On the face of it though, it does seem their actions have been correct, I just hope they’ve got the timings right.

And even then we won’t know because we would have to run this all again with the “other” option played out for real & not on a computer.

We are where we are and the only thing we should be concentrating on now is how we as individuals move forward with the guidance we are being given by those in the know and not waste our energies on wishing we/they opened the green door.

• Like 2

Problem with scientists is they say it how it is and how it will be.   Boris tagging onto the idea of herd immunity and 60% of the population needing to get the virus without actually sitting down and going hang on, 60% of 70 million times 2% death rate... that’s an awful lot of dead people, maybe that’s not such a good idea, let’s baton down the hatches. For me, that was a massive error. Nigel Pearson new what the consequences would be, we need a Nigel Pearson as the country’s leader, not a fvcking populist manager.

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I say this only so we can get some context...

Around 460 die every single day of heart disease. Every day. Every year.

Around 8000 die every year from common flu, but that's not the issue, heart disease patient cannot pass on the disease to another, this thing infects on average 2.5 people for every case.

2 weeks from now the heart disease patients will still be 460 on average if that is the stat, what will the covid 19 figure be?

A lot more than today is my guess. We are heading towards the worst part.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, promised land said:

Around 8000 die every year from common flu, but that's not the issue, heart disease patient cannot pass on the disease to another, this thing infects on average 2.5 people for every case.

2 weeks from now the heart disease patients will still be 460 on average if that is the stat, what will the covid 19 figure be?

A lot more than today is my guess. We are heading towards the worst part.

Not if we all stop indoors, if you’ve not got  it now and you stop indoors for 4 weeks, everyone who’s got it now will have either recovered or died

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

Not if we all stop indoors, if you’ve not got  it now and you stop indoors for 4 weeks, everyone who’s got it now will have either recovered or died

Yes - BUT the issue with this thing is the period before the symptoms appear when you are able to pass it on.  health and key workers are out there and also people are going shopping for essentials......... the current arrangements will have a positive effect re social distancing reducing the rate of infections but unless we adopt a Chinese draconian approach, we won’t get on top of it quickly as they did ........

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

People still need to go to the supermarket, take a breath outside etc. 

You can’t completely kill the spread but you can slow it down massively and make the situation much more manageable.

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Unfortunately for the majority to stop in doors theres a minority that will have to face this outside, that minority have families and homes they return to every evening/morning potentially exposing their loved 1s to the virus or should those stay away? & Where?

How do those that do stay in get provisions, medicines etc 4 weeks is a long time to try and stock for.

17 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I don't think it's going like that, look at Italy and Spain, plus didn't the CMO say herd immunity was needed, we need a lot of the population to get it.

Japan and South Korea seem to have got it under control.

Went to Tesco earlier and whilst I had to queue for about 45 mins to get in once I was inside it was quite good. Had everything I needed and people were generally sticking to the distancing rules. However one woman came right passed me so I looked at her as in woah what you doing and she told me to bugger off! Cheeky ****

4 minutes ago, promised land said:

I don't think it's going like that, look at Italy and Spain, plus didn't the CMO say herd immunity was needed, we need a lot of the population to get it.

Japan and South Korea seem to have got it under control.

Without loads of the population contracting it ..........

herd immunity is needed to provide future protection if no vaccine is forthcoming before next winter ..... 

that needs over 40m to contract it and with a fatality rate of 0.1% that means 40,000+ deaths ..........

the problem being that unless you control the infection rate, the NHS ICU becomes overwhelmed and then other illnesses become fatal when they wouldn’t usually be so .......

3 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I'm staying with a girl I've been seeing for around 4 months, her, her 7 year old daughter and me, it's stressing me the hell out, we're trying to give the little girl structure with a bit of learning, bit of creative time and some garden play, but she is winding me up something chronic, everything her mum tells her to do is met with some form of frustration or verbal outrage, we were long distance before all this and to go from that to living together for what has already been 12 days is really trying my patience, I've never been with a girl who has kids before and obviously this isn't a normal situation where I can pop to the pub or have my day at work to occupy myself, just seems like I can't get a break, the little girl will literally follow me up the stairs to the toilet and sits outside 'are you finished yet let's play!' it's driving me mad, it's 15+ hours a day and I'm just not used to it and not coping all that well, and I feel guilty, she's not going to school, expending enough energy and it's not fair on her either, sure people are in far worse positions than me I just needed a rant. 

It's hard when they aren't your own, when it's your own it's much easier.

Best thing we ever did was have another, I really don't like seeing an only child playing alone, it breaks my heart.

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

that needs over 40m to contract it and with a fatality rate of 0.1% that means 40,000+ deaths ..........

the problem being that unless you control the infection rate, the NHS ICU becomes overwhelmed and then other illnesses become fatal when they wouldn’t usually be so .......

That’s the problem the Scientists and NHS fear, ICU being over run, flatten the curve so less get it then it dips and rises again to keep the NHS within limits but it’s obviously very difficult to do.

Next two weeks really are critical, the fact the field hospitals are being built all over tells you something.

2 minutes ago, l444ry said:

The ventilators farce: Johnson shunned EU shared buying, but asked Trump for help. That’s nuts.

I read that a plane load of masks arrived at Madrid early this morning and were for Spain, France, Germany and U.K. 

I suspect that had we become involved in the EU ventilator program, we would have to share a lot of those being made by U.K. companies with Europe. perhaps the missing of the email was deliberate ?  the facts are simple - there aren’t enough ventilators across the globe .......

2 hours ago, reynard said:

I can't see there being a cat in hells chance of the death rate declining in the first full week of April though it would be great  news if so. The death rate is doubling every 2.5 days in the UK. So we will have 1500 dead when the figures are released in 48 hours time. We haven't tested enough as you say to know how many are infected but by the end of the first week of April it is hard to see the numbers dropping especially as we actually start to get our act together and test more people.

The lockdowns  in Italy and Spain, both stricter than in the UK,nificant levelling off if at all and our trajectory is just as bad. I have a colleague in Italy and they are very worried. They had hoped to see a levelling off around 26th-30th of this month, so still time. However, it is starting to look like the South could be heading the same way as the North and apart from lockdowns there is no plan B to counteract the virus. Same as everwhere else.

As I’ve pointed out before, purely arithmetically, if Italy had carried on at the same exponential rate as before the lockdown, it would have clocked up 100,000 deaths by now, so it is highly likely that the the lockdown has saved 90,000 lives so far.

All of these conference centres signing up to be hospitals, I don't understand where all the staff are coming from when current hospitals don't have enough staff as it is? The media say 4000 ICU beds at the Excel centre, how the hell are you staffing 4000 beds?

Just now, z-layrex said:

All of these conference centres signing up to be hospitals, I don't understand where all the staff are coming from when current hospitals don't have enough staff as it is? The media say 4000 ICU beds at the Excel centre, how the hell are you staffing 4000 beds?

Are the military helping out? No idea of numbers, but surely they will be put to use 

2 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

It's not 4000 instantly either. I heard earlier it was 2000 to begin with (maybe less) and then there's extra capacity if needed. 

It's good preparation for where we're at now and for where we could end up. 

Previously retired staff coming back to help out I guess are going to help out?

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Are the military helping out? No idea of numbers, but surely they will be put to use 

The military are yeah, but their medical services are not huge. I know they're asking London trusts to volunteer critical care staff, which I really don't understand as we don't have enough within the hospitals as it is! There's been a shortage of critical care nurses for many years.

I just don't see how it's possible. Especially if patients are being brought in by ambulance, you're then operating as an emergency department with all the triage that goes with it.

I am sure it's possible to help take pressure off the hospitals with these field hospitals, but the numbers certainly don't add up for me.

• Thanks 2