Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, MattP said:

Weren't you in Vegas towards the end of Feb for the Fury fight or have I got you confused?

It's a bit rich to say you were demanding lockdown in January and then jumping on transatlantic flights a month later.

Yes but I would have got my money back 🤣🤣🤣

face facts Boris is a disaster, even that Gimp the offered up today seems more articulate and understanding than BOJO 

I like Boris But he is being guided by a psychopath/sociopath in Cummings 

I’m afraid Boris needs a miracle now to rescue his reputation and it’s not coming, history will look really poorly on him around Covid-19 

and that makes me sad as I genuinely find him entertaining and endearing 

1 minute ago, LinekersLugs said:

face facts Boris is a disaster, even that Gimp the offered up today seems more articulate and understanding than BOJO 

I’m afraid Boris needs a miracle now to rescue his reputation and it’s not coming, history will look really poorly on him around Covid-19 

Yet all the current polls have the Cons with a higher approval rating than previously.

• Like 2

Guest MattP
Just now, LinekersLugs said:

So you were so concerned about this you were demanding total lockdown but did then fly half way across the World to share an arena with 20,000 people? Seriously come on lol

Cummings idea of herd immunity was never an option as soon as a potential death toll of 510,000 was mentioned - if you read the full Sunday Times article it states as soon as that figure was produced he actually became the staunchest advocate of lockdown. 

Boris currently has the highest approval rating in polling history - Twitter does not reflect Britain. 

13 minutes ago, promised land said:

All Leicester Aldi’s to be rammed tomorrow morning between 9-10am now then. 

As I posted last night I went to Asda about 7ish and while some shelves looked like Cold War Russia still most were stocked. Quiet too which made a change.

Given that this weekend is pay weekend for many people, there hasn't been any more people than there would be on a normal Tuesday. Good selection of food, the rule of four of each product is in force still and has solved the problem of stock-piling so everyone gets a look in. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Durnerz said:

Things have calmed down a heck of a lot in the supermarket and its far better and easier to shop than pretty much any time I can remember. I work for Aldi and can advise the best time to go is around 9-10am after the initial 'rush'....if you can call it that! We have pretty much everything back in stock now.

Aldi has been the best of the bunch for us through all of this.

Are you doing the Vulnerable hour at any point? Got 3 elderly relatives and the wife has 1 on her side plus her mum that are all struggling health wise. Why we can't take them to do there shop it would be good to know so we can nip in just after it finishes and try get them, soup, bread etc.

Well hopefully people will generally meet the current self distancing and isolating rules then hopefully we won't need a 6 month lock down.

Afterall people cannot stay off jobs for that long - even vulnerable folks and the elderly might suffer from other issues if stuck inside for months.

So really it's down to us all to stick by the rules now and gain from it long term.

6 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
Well hopefully people will generally meet the current self distancing and isolating rules then hopefully we won't need a 6 month lock down.

Afterall people cannot stay off jobs for that long - even vulnerable folks and the elderly might suffer from other issues if stuck inside for months.

So really it's down to us all to stick by the rules now and gain from it long term.

We need stricter measures in order to stop the idiots from breaking the isolating rules. There's still plenty of people wandering about the streets, gathering in parks and throwing bloody karaoke parties ffs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Am I missing something here, or have you left your house to visit your sister? 

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

He's in Canada, maybe their rules are different atm

I was slightly inebriated when I posted that :D

People are allowed out for food and essentials. She invited me over for dinner and I brought the essentials...beer!

Not sure they can lock me up for that :fc:

There are a lot of reports on the media about people ignoring the lockdown and driving to the countryside so they can go for a walk.

A farmer in Edale was even attacked by a walker this week after he complained about hundreds of people crossing his farm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-52034329

I live in a rural area and rates of infection are vastly lower than they are in the cities and the increase in the number of cases is also much lower.

In Somerset where I live there was a reported 31 cases this morning as against 16 last week.

Roughly doubled in a week whereas the national trend is for the number of cases and deaths to double every three days.

People visiting the area who have no need to risk bringing new infections into areas where there have so far been very few cases.

Rural areas are also much further from hospitals and the A&E departments in country towns are much less well equipped than they are in the big city hospitals.

I know, because I had a serious accident last year and transit by ambulance from my home was an exhausting and bruising 45 minute drive to Yeovil. Because it was Sunday evening there was no consultant available to make a decision on my care until Monday morning, because the only spinal surgeon on site at Yeovil is part time. So I had to stay strapped in body boards and a head restraint for about 18 hours.

I am fortunate where I live because there is a gate into a field with a public footpath 20 yards from my house. Most people don't.

My take on it is that it is fine to drive a few miles to a quiet spot where you won't meet many people, and when you do it will generally result in a friendly conversation and respect for the new norms of social distancing.

But not where you are going to meet hundreds of people fighting for a parking spot. 

So in Leicestershire don't go to Bradgate or Foxton.

Too much to ask for???

4 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

There are a lot of reports on the media about people ignoring the lockdown and driving to the countryside so they can go for a walk.

A farmer in Edale was even attacked by a walker this week after he complained about hundreds of people crossing his farm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-52034329

I live in a rural area and rates of infection are vastly lower than they are in the cities and the increase in the number of cases is also much lower.

In Somerset where I live there was a reported 31 cases this morning as against 16 last week.

Roughly doubled in a week whereas the national trend is for the number of cases and deaths to double every three days.

People visiting the area who have no need to risk bringing new infections into areas where there have so far been very few cases.

Rural areas are also much further from hospitals and the A&E departments in country towns are much less well equipped than they are in the big city hospitals.

I know, because I had a serious accident last year and transit by ambulance from my home was an exhausting and bruising 45 minute drive to Yeovil. Because it was Sunday evening there was no consultant available to make a decision on my care until Monday morning, because the only spinal surgeon on site at Yeovil is part time. So I had to stay strapped in body boards and a head restraint for about 18 hours.

I am fortunate where I live because there is a gate into a field with a public footpath 20 yards from my house. Most people don't.

My take on it is that it is fine to drive a few miles to a quiet spot where you won't meet many people, and when you do it will generally result in a friendly conversation and respect for the new norms of social distancing.

But not where you are going to meet hundreds of people fighting for a parking spot. 

Too much to ask for???

Is it definitely people driving there and not just local people exercising, that would normally be at work creating the additional numbers?

Edited by Strokes
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Is it definitely people driving there and not just local people exercising, that would normally be at work creating the additional numbers?

I live right next to the canal, and while we've definitely seen more families walking by than usual, probably because they'd normally be at work or out and about further afield, we've also had people drive here, park up and go for a walk. That's never happened in the 7 years I've lived here. It's a no through road housing estate in Wigston, so there's definitely no other reason for them to be here lol

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

They weren't lying about the police checkpoints, two points coming out of Loughborough tonight, saw two cars just been pulled over. Felt surreal

Bloody hell, where are they? I'm still going into the office near coalville a couple of days a week (we've split the staffs office days up) front fancying getting pulled over.

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I live right next to the canal, and while we've definitely seen more families walking by than usual, probably because they'd normally be at work or out and about further afield, we've also had people drive here, park up and go for a walk. That's never happened in the 7 years I've lived here. It's a no through road housing estate in Wigston, so there's definitely no other reason for them to be here lol

I guess there’s always going to be a few people pushing their luck.

My take on it is that it is fine to drive a few miles to a quiet spot where you won't meet many people, and when you do it will generally result in a friendly conversation and respect for the new norms of social distancing.

Too much to ask for???

Strokes replied: Is it definitely people driving there and not just local people exercising, that would normally be at work creating the additional numbers?

In Edale most of the crowds would not be locals. The capacity of the car parks far exceeds the small local population.

Likewise the car parks at Foxton and Bradgate are far larger than the population of the village.

Just seen FoxesDebs contribution. I know exactly where she means. I don't suppose I am an average walker as when in Leicestershire I might sometimes walk from Great Glen to Newton Harcourt and then along the canal to at least Kilby Bridge and possibly beyond the former County Arms and then back again. Normally all you would meet along there is the occasional boater, occasional fisherman - especially at the country end, and even more occasional walker.

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Bloody hell, where are they? I'm still going into the office near coalville a couple of days a week (we've split the staffs office days up) front fancying getting pulled over.

Take the back roads through quorn and woodhouse.

Just now, Strokes said:

Take the back roads through quorn and woodhouse.

I was thinking they might be manning them to stop people going to the countryside.

I'm allowed to go work, we're classed as essential anyway as we're waste and recycling transportation, but I can't be arsed with being stopped.

1 minute ago, The Fox Covert said:

My take on it is that it is fine to drive a few miles to a quiet spot where you won't meet many people, and when you do it will generally result in a friendly conversation and respect for the new norms of social distancing.

Too much to ask for???

Strokes replied: Is it definitely people driving there and not just local people exercising, that would normally be at work creating the additional numbers?

In Edale most of the crowds would not be locals. The capacity of the car parks far exceeds the small local population.

Likewise the car parks at Foxton and Bradgate are far larger than the population of the village.

Just seen FoxesDebs contribution. I know exactly where she means. I don't suppose I am an average walker as when in Leicestershire I might sometimes walk from Great Glen to Newton Harcourt and then along the canal to at least Kilby Bridge and possibly beyond the former County Arms and then back again. Normally all you would meet along there is the occasional boater, occasional fisherman - especially at the country end, and even more occasional walker.

I wasn’t dismissing it pal, just wondering. I don’t have a fixed working week and I’m just as likely to be off in the week as I am the weekend.

When I walk the dog in the week across the fields I see nobody, at the weekends maybe 2 or 3 groups of people. 
Now when I go out, it’s easily a dozen. I can’t imagine why they would drive here. It’s nothing special.

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Is there a logistical reason why supermarkets can't offer 24 hour deliveries?

There are obviously no delivery slots available for weeks, and they have asked that shoppers come into the store...surely that's the opposite of what people should be doing?   

Well the obvious would be staffing issues. 

Sainsbury's seem to be ok on delivery slots well at least they was yesterday when I finally stumbled on their website after looking at Tesco and they was fully booked till April 17th and wasn’t offering anything pass that date. 
Tried Morrison’s and hit a queue page that told me that 40,000 odd people was in front of me and a 30 min wait just to get on the website. 
Anyway ordered last night and it’s being delivered tomorrow teatime, just got to wait and see if I get everything now 

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I was thinking they might be manning them to stop people going to the countryside.

I'm allowed to go work, we're classed as essential anyway as we're waste and recycling transportation, but I can't be arsed with being stopped.

I was thinking the checkpoints would be on main roads, so to display a presence but you might be right.