Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

22 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

That's good and to the point. Should be an official govt information film.

Though when I clicked and saw "Damo & Ivor", I did briefly hope you'd uncovered a duet between Damo Suzuki of Can and Ivor Cutler.

That would have been good - crazy geniuses for crazy times. Here are the lads in live action....

I haven't criticised the government during this crisis for their general handling for several reasons, but I find the call that has been made to immediately house all rough sleepers almost unfathomable. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52063939

Rough sleeping has rocketed in the time since the Tories started their coalition (https://www.homeless.org.uk/facts/homelessness-in-numbers/rough-sleeping/rough-sleeping-explore-data) and yet now, Local Councils, with no specific funding allocation to do so, have been told to immediately house all rough sleepers.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a positive step, but I just don't understand the whole thing. If it's that simple for LAs to find accommodation for these members of our society, then why the FVCK have so many more been sleeping on the streets in the last 10 years?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I haven't criticised the government during this crisis for their general handling for several reasons, but I find the call that has been made to immediately house all rough sleepers almost unfathomable. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52063939

Rough sleeping has rocketed in the time since the Tories started their coalition (https://www.homeless.org.uk/facts/homelessness-in-numbers/rough-sleeping/rough-sleeping-explore-data) and yet now, Local Councils, with no specific funding allocation to do so, have been told to immediately house all rough sleepers.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a positive step, but I just don't understand the whole thing. If it's that simple for LAs to find accommodation for these members of our society, then why the FVCK have so many more been sleeping on the streets in the last 10 years?

No idea where they are being housed, but I'd imagine it's the same sort of thing as how we're finding massive buildings available in expensive cities for thousands of extra nhs beds. How many hotels/b&b's up and down the country are currently sitting empty and available for council use?

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

No idea where they are being housed, but I'd imagine it's the same sort of thing as how we're finding massive buildings available in expensive cities for thousands of extra nhs beds. How many hotels/b&b's up and down the country are currently sitting empty and available for council use?

It does occur to me that with international travel, and holidaying at a standstill, there should be loads of spare hotel space.

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Just when you think Trump can't go any lower....

A vindictive man child.

Yet half the voters will lap it up, imagine if Johnson or any other PM of any persuasion said that anywhere else, there would be hell to pay.

• Like 3

It's a frightening situation but also highly confusing. Some questions I have -

Just why did the World Health Organisation little over a month ago advise New York Health Officials, Councilmen and the Mayor that the risks of the virus spreading through New York and the U.S. were low? And for people to carry on as normal? I just can't believe those responsible for telling people how to live their lives could be that uninformed when many members of the public were already very concerned.

On Feb 5th, Health Commisioner Barbot encouraged people to celebrate the Lunar New Year parade in Chinatown by tweeting "...I want to remind everyone to enjoy the parade and not change any plans due to misinformation spreading about coronavirus.”??? 

Then on Feb 9th, Councilman Mark D. Levine tweeted, “In powerful show of defiance of coronavirus scare, huge crowds gathering in NYC’s Chinatown for ceremony ahead of annual Lunar New Year parade. Chants of ‘Be Strong Wuhan!’ If you are staying away, you are missing out.”??

Several days after that, by Mid-February, the Mayor of New York and another Council Speaker encouraged people to support businesses in Chinatown which were struggling due to people staying away because of the risk of coming into contact with those who might have recently travelled back from China. "It is important to support the Chinese community in New York City. Unfortunately many businesses and restaurants in Chinatown, Flushing, and Sunset Park are suffering because some customers are afraid of the coronavirus. But those fears are not based on facts and science. The risk of infection to New Yorkers is low. There is no need to avoid public spaces..."

Now New York has the highest total of cases in the U.S.???!!! I just wonder why these officials haven't been made to explain themselves now?

And that's not mentioning the Mayor of Florence who encouraged people to hug one another in the street even tweeting "hug a Chinese" back in February.

Also, why have the UK Government now downgraded Covid 19 from a HCID - High Consequence Infectious Disease? This from the GOV.UK website - 

"...COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK... Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase." 

If these measures need to be taken and if the mortality rate is forecast to be so high why is it no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease by our Government? What is going on exactly? Just so confused by it all.

Edited by Kendal Fox
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

It's a frightening situation but also highly confusing. Some questions I have -

Just why did the World Health Organisation little over a month ago advise New York Health Officials, Councilmen and the Mayor that the risks of the virus spreading through New York and the U.S. were low? And for people to carry on as normal? I just can't believe those responsible for telling people how to live their lives could be that uninformed when many members of the public were already very concerned.

On Feb 5th, Health Commisioner Barbot encouraged people to celebrate the Lunar New Year parade in Chinatown by tweeting "...I want to remind everyone to enjoy the parade and not change any plans due to misinformation spreading about coronavirus.”??? 

Then on Feb 9th, Councilman Mark D. Levine tweeted, “In powerful show of defiance of coronavirus scare, huge crowds gathering in NYC’s Chinatown for ceremony ahead of annual Lunar New Year parade. Chants of ‘Be Strong Wuhan!’ If you are staying away, you are missing out.”??

Several days after that, by Mid-February, the Mayor of New York and another Council Speaker encouraged people to support businesses in Chinatown which were struggling due to people staying away because of the risk of coming into contact with those who might have recently travelled back from China. "It is important to support the Chinese community in New York City. Unfortunately many businesses and restaurants in Chinatown, Flushing, and Sunset Park are suffering because some customers are afraid of the coronavirus. But those fears are not based on facts and science. The risk of infection to New Yorkers is low. There is no need to avoid public spaces..."

Now New York has the highest total of cases in the U.S.???!!! I just wonder why these officials haven't been made to explain themselves now?

And that's not mentioning the Mayor of Florence who encouraged people to hug one another in the street even tweeting "hug a Chinese" back in February.

Also, why have the UK Government now downgraded Covid 19 from a HCID - High Consequence Infectious Disease? This from the GOV.UK website - 

"...COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK... Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase." 

If these measures need to be taken and if the mortality rate is forecast to be so high why is it no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease by our Government? What is going on exactly? Just so confused by it all.

Some of the advice and actions from leaders, especially early on has been woeful.

• Thanks 1

The government need to be very careful. I’m all for honesty and transparency but when delivering messages they need to ensure they down fall into the trap of scaremongering. The tactics of yesterday’s press conference were very much scare mongering. I do not think comments like “uk will do well to keep death toll under 20,000” are a wise thing to say, this may well be case, but now is not a time to scaremonger and force people to live in fear. Information will help people follow the guidelines and stay safe, fear simply fuels their anxiety.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Nalis said:

Currently Red whereas the others are Blue?

Similar has always occurred in the UK, especially when the Conservatives are in power, local council's suffer from underfunding. Trump has taken it to another level, mind. 

Edited by Saigon Fox
Typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

The government need to be very careful. I’m all for honesty and transparency but when delivering messages they need to ensure they down fall into the trap of scaremongering. The tactics of yesterday’s press conference were very much scare mongering. I do not think comments like “uk will do well to keep death toll under 20,000” are a wise thing to say, this may well be case, but now is not a time to scaremonger and force people to live in fear. Information will help people follow the guidelines and stay safe, fear simply fuels their anxiety.

Yeah spot on. About 10 days ago someone said they thought the restrictions on our life could last the rest of the year. That just fuels the panic of people hoarding things like toilet paper, and it also increases peoples fears regarding their job, and the wider economy.

Guest Markyblue
29 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

The 20000 figure was mentioned at the very start of the outbreak and doesn't seem to have changed.  

Guest Markyblue
33 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

The government need to be very careful. I’m all for honesty and transparency but when delivering messages they need to ensure they down fall into the trap of scaremongering. The tactics of yesterday’s press conference were very much scare mongering. I do not think comments like “uk will do well to keep death toll under 20,000” are a wise thing to say, this may well be case, but now is not a time to scaremonger and force people to live in fear. Information will help people follow the guidelines and stay safe, fear simply fuels their 

Edited by Markyblue
Double post

31 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

There is however a fine line between what you describe as scaremongering and keeping it real with people to achieve the desired effect.

It is pretty obvious a large number of people are not taking this extraordinary situation seriously.

• Like 3

I discovered AR this morning, whilst looking for something to do to ease the boredom of entering the 3rd week working from home. 

The 5 year old is currently looking for a Tiger, that was last spotted in the living room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

I expect that certain criteria must be met for something to be HCID.  it’s probably used to catch unknown mystery virus’ that may spread into the country 

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I disagree somewhat 

people are generally doing as they have been asked. But some will see the daily death toll rise and many won’t have the mental capability to understand why that is. They need big numbers and pictures to keep them ‘on message’. 

remember my post the other day about stupid people ....... they’re all still out there and they are the big risk when it comes to keeping a lid on this 

Stupid people are still out there, and no matter what restrictions they out in place they will continue to defy them. The amount of crimes committed on a daily bases by some people just show that you’ll never get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet. However, having said that the majority aren’t a problem, the streets of my local village are baron, there’s not a person in sight. 

Im talking more about people who’s current mental state is not good. There’s a lady who lives near me, she’s not elderly but she has her problems, but she is now living in fear, so much so that she isn’t going out to get food to eat, and it’s because of statements like “20,000 people may die”, she firmly believe she will be one of them. They need to be careful when delivering messages, the death toll alone should be a stark reminder of the seriousness of the situation. As I’ve mentioned, you could put a curfew in place of 9pm, flood the streets with soldiers and someone will still leave the house, it is human nature to push the boundaries, and some will take great pleasure in trying to do so.

I just think they need to be very careful with what they say, facts and figures are all well and good but they need to be used correctly.

9 hours ago, ajthefox said:

You could say the same about most their policies right now. I agree, I think they're taking great steps but they're ain't half undermining what they've said for the last ten years.