Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It really is daft.

You can't bluff a natural disaster, and as such lying about this is only going to hurt in the long run. What they have done to cover this up is stupid.

Can't blame them for trying though, didn't have a shortage of takers defending them.

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

How do you police that then?

Exactly, you can't and it relies on people complying. I was on about the fact that there is very little difference between Household A and B living in one house and mixing, then both living in separate households and visiting each other. You can't police who is meant to be in which household. It's not different to kids being ferried between mum and dad when they are separated.

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

How long before it happens here ...  

9F1EAD16-488B-4F65-9F8E-BC3F5E166A17.jpeg

I doubt it will. Luckily for us, the braindead   segment of the population are generally happy to sit on their backsides doing nothing.

We seem to have a completely different mindset to some areas of the US. It’ll probably go as far as someone posting a video complaining about the lockdown over here. 

Just now, Leeds Fox said:

I doubt it will. Luckily for us, the braindead   segment of the population are generally happy to sit on their backsides doing nothing.

We seem to have a completely different mindset to some areas of the US. It’ll probably go as far as someone posting a video complaining about the lockdown over here. 

And we have no idea about our constitutional rights or guns ......

• Thanks 1

Guest MattP

Anyone else having crazy dreams during this?

Some of mine have gone completely mental to say the least. Last night I was being hunted for murder but escaped down the street my friend uses to live on, I then hid in a what felt like a pub where the Spice Girls were performing but with Brendan Rodgers as the lead singer.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Some of mine have gone completely mental to say the least. Last night I was being hunted for murder but escaped down the street my friend uses to live on, I then hid in a what felt like a pub where the Spice Girls were performing but with Brendan Rodgers as the lead singer.

Dreamt I was being arrested by Phil Mitchell the other night. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Unreal. And people wonder why China are getting the international side eye. 

Someone on here was sticking up for the numbers, suggesting there was no reason for them to lie! 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Can't blame them for trying though, didn't have a shortage of takers defending them.

Goodness knows I've stepped in here often enough to say that the Chinese aren't the only ones who are responsible for this thing becoming the worldwide terror that it is, but attempting to lie to cover up the extent of the problem is both daft and illogical.

I can see why they would want to lie and they're hardly the only government who does so (some do it more than others, it's the way the game is played) but doing it on this when it's patently obvious at some point the cat is going to go all Alien chestburster out of the bag is stupid. Telling porkies only really makes sense if you can be sure it won't be found out later, and if the Chinese government had taken a moment to think they would have realised that would have been inevitable because, as above, a virus doesn't care about consequences and can't be intimidated or bluffed.

So really, they should be blamed for both trying something that was destined to fail and not thinking things through to their logical conclusion and thus being transparent from the start.

This is a bit of a screed, but you'd think international leaders of any kind can and should be possessed of more logical sense.

Edited by leicsmac

26 minutes ago, MattP said:

They did a feature of this on local radio. My favourite was someone who dreamt they gave birth, but the baby came out just looking like a normal baby, except with adult length legs, and immediately started walking around. In her dream she was freaking out but everyone was trying to convince her it was normal! 

Ok now I'm pissed off at the government. Originally the furlough scheme was based on an employees basic pay, up to the maximum of £2500 a month. So if you have an employees who regularly works overtime but has a basic salary they are paid when that overtime isn't available, you pay them based on that basic salary. At the time I didn't really understand how that worked for zero hour contract employees, but whatever. Now, after the first week of us paying three members of staff their furlough based on their basic wage, they have decided that it's now based on your average pay. Obviously that's great for those people that's will get more money, but a huge pain in the arse for companies that have pressed the button on the payment of furloughed staff. I now have to roll back three employees wages and recalculate, pay the extra, resubmit the reports etc.

They've also moved the date for when you started at a job from the 1st of March to having been on the payroll by the 19th. Again great for those still working that they now fall into the furlough window, not so great for those who have basically been made redundant as they are not eligible for furlough, but there's no work for them.

Leicester method for reducing NHS staff exposure to Covid-19 is now being used across the UK
Glenfield Hospital's approach to caring for coronavirus patients has been rolled out nationwide

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/its-like-nothing-weve-encountered-4052032

ByAmy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter
00:01, 17 APR 2020

Leicester Hospitals drew up a guide as they looked to reduce staff's exposure to coronavirus while caring for patients.

The new approach for supporting safety of healthcare workers was developed at Glenfield Hospital.

It reduces the need for different staff members going into rooms for standard procedures, observations and assessments.

And it was so effective that it has now been rolled out nationally and adopted by some overseas health services dealing with Covid-19 as well.

The guide, Sharing Patient Assessments Cuts Exposure for Staff, or SPACES for short, has been adopted by the British Thoracic Society.

It has also been endorsed by the Royal College of Physicians and Royal College of Nursing.

And it is in line with current NHS and Public Health England guidance on coronavirus infection prevention and control.

The SPACES approach can help ward teams keep staff safe by reducing the need for different staff members to go into rooms.

For example, when one worker makes contact with a patient they are encouraged to deliver all basic aspects of care.

This includes checking position and comfort, monitoring symptoms and documenting their observations.

This is irrespective of whether the staff member is a healthcare assistant, doctor or nurse.

This compares with existing practice, which would see a healthcare assistant visit a patient to remove a food tray, followed by a medic to make a clinical assessment, and then a nurse to take observations.

Further to that, staff are also being encouraged to use remote assessments.

For example, they will perform consultations using phones, intercoms and two-way radios to avoid compromising staff safety through unnecessary face-to-face contact.

Professor Jon Bennett, senior respiratory consultant at Leicester’s Hospitals, said: “SPACES came about from a realisation that traditional models of ward management were not fit for purpose when looking after patients with Covid-19.

“It’s like nothing we’ve encountered before, so we needed to come up with new and smarter ways of working that both benefited patients and kept staff safe, well and able to work.

“It has been a multidisciplinary effort to get the concept of SPACES developed and tested in our first Covid-19 dedicated ward at Glenfield Hospital in Leicester.

Prof Bennett said the team was delighted to see that the approach has been adopted by national bodies as best practice.

"Within just two weeks of piloting it, SPACES has become the template for managing patients with Covid-19 in a ward environment across the UK," he said.

"This highlights the rapid implementation of innovative practice occurring within the NHS in these extraordinary times.”

Prof Bennett, who is also the Chair of the British Thoracic Society, added: “Thanks to support from my colleagues at the British Thoracic Society, we have been able to refine the initial approach that was piloted, and can now provide SPACES as a free download so it can be used across the UK and abroad.”

While SPACES has been developed with hospital ward staff in mind, it could also be adapted and applied to those working in social care settings.

The free download developed explaining the process has been accessed and has been accessed 9,149 times since March 27.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Ok now I'm pissed off at the government. Originally the furlough scheme was based on an employees basic pay, up to the maximum of £2500 a month. So if you have an employees who regularly works overtime but has a basic salary they are paid when that overtime isn't available, you pay them based on that basic salary. At the time I didn't really understand how that worked for zero hour contract employees, but whatever. Now, after the first week of us paying three members of staff their furlough based on their basic wage, they have decided that it's now based on your average pay. Obviously that's great for those people that's will get more money, but a huge pain in the arse for companies that have pressed the button on the payment of furloughed staff. I now have to roll back three employees wages and recalculate, pay the extra, resubmit the reports etc.

They've also moved the date for when you started at a job from the 1st of March to having been on the payroll by the 19th. Again great for those still working that they now fall into the furlough window, not so great for those who have basically been made redundant as they are not eligible for furlough, but there's no work for them.

They have kept changing the rules. I’m not sure if my staff who undertake regular overtime have been paid correctly for April but if it turns out that they haven’t then we will make it up next month. Not going to redo the wages.  The guy is furloughed anyway! 

Just now, st albans fox said:

They have kept changing the rules. I’m not sure if my staff who undertake regular overtime have been paid correctly for April but if it turns out that they haven’t then we will make it up next month. Not going to redo the wages.  The guy is furloughed anyway! 

But then I worry about the process of claiming it back if there are adjustments all over the pay slip. 

35 minutes ago, MattP said:

lol

After debate as to who was "the 5th Beatle", the 6th Spice Girl is revealed.....Old Spice a.k.a. the Spice Bhoy.

In a dream a couple of nights ago, I was being arrested, too, and accused of some unspecified crime that was a mystery to me.

In the dream I was also with a girl who I went out with for about 2 months, 32 years ago. All very strange.

Maybe the brain has some primitive assumption that if we've been deprived of our liberty, we must be accused of something? :dunno:

33 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Goodness knows I've stepped in here often enough to say that the Chinese aren't the only ones who are responsible for this thing becoming the worldwide terror that it is, but attempting to lie to cover up the extent of the problem is both daft and illogical.

I can see why they would want to lie and they're hardly the only government who does so (some do it more than others, it's the way the game is played) but doing it on this when it's patently obvious at some point the cat is going to go all Alien chestburster out of the bag is stupid. Telling porkies only really makes sense if you can be sure it won't be found out later, and if the Chinese government had taken a moment to think they would have realised that would have been inevitable because, as above, a virus doesn't care about consequences and can't be intimidated or bluffed.

So really, they should be blamed for both trying something that was destined to fail and not thinking things through to their logical conclusion and thus being transparent from the start.

This is a bit of a screed, but you'd think international leaders of any kind can and should be possessed of more logical sense.

But they really backed themselves into a corner by declaring such a low number of dead initially. They have decided that they simply cannot   raise it by more than 50% and save face (v important for them). This was their opportunity to ‘come clean’ and justify it on the basis that this was an ongoing task to check records now that lockdown is lifted in Wuhan etc etc and they didn’t want to have to keep updating them. I think they could have gone to 10/12k and retained a shred of credibility based on the level/timing of their lockdown ..... this rise to 4.8k leaves that credibility in tatters .....another piece of poor judgement although their domestic audience which is the most important for them will generally lap it up. 

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

But then I worry about the process of claiming it back if there are adjustments all over the pay slip. 

I think that HMRC will be understanding that April and may wont necessarily match. After all, plenty of staff will be furloughed for three weeks, work a day or two and then be furloughed again.  I honestly don’t believe that they have the manpower to check anything ! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MattP said:

I was being hunted for murder 

49 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

...  I was being arrested by Phil Mitchell 

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I was being arrested, too,

Confirms something I've always thought about you FoxesTalk lot ....       (knowing nod) ...   :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think that HMRC will be understanding that April and may wont necessarily match. After all, plenty of staff will be furloughed for three weeks, work a day or two and then be furloughed again.  I honestly don’t believe that they have the manpower to check anything ! 

I'm more pissed off that I've just done the first lot and they've changed it. And that is possible but I'd rather have it right than risk not be able to claim it back when the time comes. 

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I find it all a bit odd seeing people I know voted for tory cuts and Brexit clapping to show 'support' for the NHS.

Definitely. 

When I voted for Tory Cuts and Brexit I was hoping for Boris to blow up every hospital I've ever been in and deport every doctor and nurse on the spot. Even those born here.

Just now, MattP said:

Definitely. 

When I voted for Tory Cuts and Brexit I was hoping for Boris to blow up every hospital I've ever been in and deport every doctor and nurse on the spot. Even those born here.

yep that's what I mean Matt.  Cheers.

Oh and Sadiq Khan has done a great job.:dry:

Edited by purpleronnie